Stories of Kanen Hightower

• Two words for you Kanen: Pulitzer Prize. It's really good.

• FANGED JUSTICE (Part I)

Kanen and Sam were walking from Jiyyd, the sky bright and the day calm, discussing the value of protecting Sam's hill. A dwarf in very fine plate armor approached them from the west, obviously headed to Jiyyd or parts beyond. As the dwarf came near the pair he stopped them with a look and asked if he could have their aid. He introduced himself as Sir Mirit Terrus and that he was looking for someone. He had been told by others in the area that Kanen Hightower was a Paladin who lived in Jiyyd, and he had need of this Paladin’s aid.

With a smile Kanen introduced himself and Sam to Sir Mirit, who seemed both surprised and relieved at finding Kanen. Sir Mirit said he had a great favor to ask of Kanen, but that they should speak where they would have some privacy. The three traveled together back to Jiyyd and to the house Kanen shared with Seven. After exchanging pleasantries, Sir Mirit began his tale, sitting at the fireplace.

Sir Mirit belonged to a company of weapon and armor smiths who made weapons and armor of adamantine and other rare metals and gave them as gifts to champions that they found all across the land. They had encountered a dark haired man who had apparently been wandering for some time, his armor rusted, and wielded two axes. He said his name was Set. The caravan of dwarves and the man Set were traveling through the woods south Norwick for some time, when they were suddenly accosted by a fierce bugbear wielding a large two handed axe. The bugbear said his name was Vorta, and he demanded all the weapons and armor that the caravan had…apparently somehow knowing what it contained.

Sir Mirit, moved to attack the large bugbear, but was suddenly hit from behind and knocked unconscious. When he came to, he was lying amid the bodies of his companions, his caravan destroyed and everything of value gone. When asked, he said he did not find the body of Set, however. He wandered north, and found Norwick. There he asked about for any fellow Paladins who could aid him and was told to seek Kanen Hightower in Jiyyd.

Kanen and Sam together agreed to help Sir Mirit, much to his apparent relief. Sir Mirit spoke a sword crafted for a priest, a Holy blade, that must be recovered at all costs. The two headed south to Norwick to learn more of this bugbear named Vorta, while Sir Mirit rented a room at the Regal Whore to get some much needed rest. After asking around the town of Norwick, Kanen learned that Vorta, an overly large bugbear with a gigantic axe, was the name of a bugbear leader who had been demanding weapons of the town from time to time, threatening to attack with an army if the townspeople refused. Yet, no one seemed to know exactly where Vorta laired. Some said to the woods to the far east with Skara, others said south near the elven encampment. The guards at the south gate offered Kanen 3,000 gold pieces for the head of Vorta if he could return it to him.

So Kanen and Sam gathered others, including Janu the priest of Tempus, among others and began searching for Vorta. As the traveled south, they entered the woods controlled by the bugbear forces from the Warrens. Searching cautiously about, they found an overly large bugbear wielding a very large axe observing their movements. When confronted the bugbear began to move away until Kanen stepped forward and said that he only wished to speak to a bugbear named Vorta, not to kill him, if Vorta would be willing to give or sell the information that Kanen needed to locate the sword.

The bugbear said he was indeed Vorta, and was a businessman, and he would only deal with Kanen…alone. The Paladin looked to his companions, wordlessly telling them to stay and followed Vorta off into the woods. The bugbear seemed to toy with the Paladin at first, saying he would only give the information for the knight’s sword and shield, and when that offer was refused, demanded his armor as well. Just when Kanen thought no deal would be able to be reached, Vorta stopped his jokes and spoke at last seriously, saying that he would give Kanen the information about the man Set if Kanen could beat him in an honorable duel. However, if the Paladin lost, he would forfeit his sword, shield and armor, though his life would be spared.

Seeing little choice, as this seemed the only way to recover Sir Mirit’s sword, Kanen agreed to the terms. The duel began with Vorta rushing toward Kanen, swinging his huge axe in great, ponderous arcs. Kanen ducked below the swing and slammed his shield into the chest of the onrushing bugbear and was able to knock him backwards and down, while stabbing into the flank of the beast. With a howl, the furry creature jumped back to his feet and swung a mighty blow at the knight, who was able to barely block it with his shield, yet ruining the shield in the process, as he threw it to the ground. Grinning a toothy grin, the bugbear charged again. This time, Kanen wasn’t able to block the blow and took the axe cut into his side, causing it bleed freely, perhaps breaking or cracking some ribs as well, yet the bugbear had paid a price for his successful attack as the Paladin’s sword sank deeply into his belly, causing him to drop the axe in pain and he crumpled to the ground.

Spitting blood, Kanen rushed to the side of Vorta, preparing to heal the creature that had challenged him to an honorable duel, yet the giant bugbear waved him away saying he did not wish the Paladin’s healing. Motioning Kanen closer, his voice a raspy whisper, Vorta revealed that Set had gone far north, to Peltarch to try to sell the suits of armor, and the ‘worthless’ hunks of rock that they had found in the dwarven caravan. Vorta said there was also a fine sword that Set took with him as well, that might or might not have been the blade Kanen was looking for. When Kanen told Vorta those rocks were mostly likely extremely valuable adamantine ore, the bugbears eyes narrowed, cursing Set. Vorta told Kanen that he still had a large ‘rock’ of the ore in his pack, that Kanen was welcome to, shuddered, and died. Kanen could not bring himself to remove the head of the bugbear, as he had fought with honor and left him whole, only taking the heavy rock of ore.

After Kanen stumbled back to his companions and Janu healed him, Sam and Kanen rested the night in Norwick, then began the journey to Peltarch, to find and confront Set with his treachery and theft.

• ::A letter left on Seven’s bedside table along with a bouquet of spring daisies::

_Seven,

I know that your thoughts and prayers have been filled with concerns and self-doubt on if you would be able to achieve your goal as a priestess in your Order. I have overheard your pleas and prayers to your Lord Torm, I have watched you study for hours on end, working as hard as any one person could to achieve this. I have heard your breathing, lying still awake at my side deep into the night, your worries not allowing you sleep. Indeed, the only other thing that has your complete attention is, of course, our children.

Your devotion to them and their care has been truly amazing and wondrous to watch. The way you are always there at their side, even if deep in study, to tend to their every need, has been a joy to observe. I have tried to help where I could, and of course, Mera has been a great aid, but you have refused to rely on her, where another might have. You have taken on the role and responsibilities of mother as completely and as fully as you do everything; indeed Durai and Revanna are blessed to have a mother such as you.

I’m sure you’ve noticed I’ve been gone the last few days, I had told you that I was going to aid a fellow Paladin, Sir Mirit Terrus, which is what I have been doing these past days, leaving little time for you, or the children, for which I apologize. I’ll go into more detail of the adventures I’ve had when I see you next, but through the madness and darkness I have traveled these last few days, I have been given a gift hard won, one that I will be giving to you. This gift I consider a sign, perhaps the very sign you have been praying for.

Know, Seven, that my heart is always filled with love for you, no matter how far away we may be from one another, and I know that together, we will defeat Jubei’s dark plans. Together as a team, with our combined faith and love, there is little we cannot accomplish.

May Lords Helm and Torm always watch over and bless our house and family.

With deepest love,

Kanen_

• Kanen has been playing Tribes it would seem… AWAY WITH YOU FOUL DIAMOND SWORD! STARWOLF SHALL SMITE THEE!.... meh... worth a try.

• @0bbbd8c1bb:

Hehe, you know i dont mean it Kaney-poo

Kaney-poo? Oooh! Robyn's going to remember that one!

• @7511f72f11:

Hopefully I get a chance to hang out with the legendary Kanen Hightower IC.

Jeez man, don't feed his ego.

Hehe, you know i dont mean it Kaney-poo.

• Thanks for the great tales Kanen it took me awhile to get through them all but it was well worth it. Hopefully I get a chance to hang out with the legendary Kanen Hightower IC.

Thanks,
    Ulfgar
    AKA Nail StrongHammer

• THE LIE

Kanen sat on the cool cement ground, slowly relaxing from the trip into the sewers beneath the city of Peltarch. He had gone there with dwarven cleric Covah, the sorceress Skyla, the young cleric Nefiri, and the bard Meril . Others had joined them along the way. They found pale men that without word or warning had attacked them in the sewage-strewn tunnels. Then they had uncovered what was apparently some sort of village or outpost of slavers. The combat had been brief but vicious. After the last slaver fell, they had entered the hidden place and found many cages and implements of torture and death, yet not a single slave.

Shortly later, the group left the fetid labyrinth, cleaned themselves and their equipment, and went their separate ways. Kanen had come to the benches at the center of the city and set down to rest a bit before his journey south to home, Skyla made her way there as well. Already at the benches were Amissa, Equinox and Marcus. Skyla was relating their adventures down in the sewers. Kanen frowned as he barely heard her words until she mentioned Covah’s apparent fear of the rodents they found below, seeming to mock the great cleric. Her next words disturbed him further.

“…but Covah ever so bravely tried to protect me from Kanen’s mischievous intentions.”

Kanen opened his eyes and looked to Skyla, who was looking at him with a slight smirk. The others asked Skyla to explain what she meant. Skyla elaborated “You know you shouldn’t pull on chains like that Kanen…especially when you do not know what they do…”

Rising to his feet, Kanen replied, “I did no such thing. You were the one who stood next to Covah, looking up, when he pulled on that chain and the sewage fell onto you both.”

Skyla replied with a mischievous smile, “It’s unbecoming of a Paladin to lie so…”

Kanen answered in a low, serious tone, “I do not lie.”

Skyla, apparently not noticing his tone continued, “Oh, but as I remember it you said ‘Skyla…Covah…come look at this! Think I should pull on this chain?”

Kanen listened to the laughter of the others, then said, “Very well. Good day to you all. May Helm guard you.” He turned and strode toward the gates of Peltarch that led south.

Just as the Paladin reached the gates he heard a woman’s voice behind him.

“Kanen, wait!” Skyla came running up to him, adding, “I’m sorry! I was just teasing!”

Stiffly, Kanen replied, “My honor is not something I take lightly. I do not lie.”

Skyla seemed a bit shocked by his reaction. “It was just friendly teasing…and I’ve said I’m sorry. And your honor is intact.”

Nodding to her, Kanen answered, “I need to head south now anyway. Take care.” With that the Paladin turned on his heel and exiting the gates of Peltarch, moving south. Yet he heard her footsteps behind him again, and turned with a heavy sigh.

“Hey! That’s not very gentlemanly of you! When someone apologizes you are supposed to accept it!”, Skyla stated with apparent indignation.

Kanen simply stared at her a moment, then replied with some difficulty, “Very well…I accept.”

Her eyes flashing heatedly, she shot back “And stop being so stiff! It’s a wonder you don’t scare small children and animals with that frown of yours! Do you even know how to have fun and joke? You should learn to relax, not everything is so serious. Part of doing work for your god is to not be so removed from those that you are helping.”

Kanen looked at her and replied in a controlled voice, “I see. Well now you are telling me how to be a Paladin. How interesting.”

Biting on her lower lip Skyla replied in a rush, “Oh dear! I’m doing it again…my apologies.”

Looking her directly in the eye Kanen answered, “…I accept. Now please, I’ll be back later, perhaps.” Kanen then turned and started to walk south again.

“But truly…how do you know if you are really helping if you do not know anything of the situation?” Seeing that he had turned and was moving away, she continued to follow at a slight distance.

Turning once more, Kanen looked once more at the red headed sorceress. “Something else?” he asked.

Looking up at him, she replied, “You do not sound sincere.”

Briefly closing his eyes, Kanen answered in a level tone, “…so now you say I am lying again.”

Skyla looked at him, for a moment speechless, but then quickly added, “…No…I didn’t say that. It’s just that you still sound upset.”

Taking a deep breath, Kanen forced out, “What do you want from me? I have accepted your apology…twice now…”

The sorceress interrupted with a smile, “but that’s alright, I’m very persistent. I’ll just keep following you until I do believe you.” With that, she started humming a happy tune. “Lovely day isn’t it?” she asked with a smile.

“A fine day.”, Kanen answered and turned once again continuing south, attempting to concentrate on the road ahead and the potential dangers it contained, but hearing Skyla walking directly behind him.

“Were you ever a child, Kanen?” Skyla asked with apparent innocence.

Refusing to be baited again, Kanen responded over his shoulder, “I was mostly raised in Helm’s Hold. We had little time for…frivolities.”

Skyla queried, “Are you calling me frivolous?”

Feeling his pulse in his temple, Kanen turned once again and nearly shouted, “Ye gods woman!” Taking a deep breath, he added in a more normal tone of voice “No.”

Skyla, sniffing, returned, “You are rather mean. Well…if you are determined not to like me…”

Kanen answered, “I…I never said I did not like you…”

With another apparent mercurial change in mood and topic she added, “You know it’s going to take you all day to get anywhere if you keep stopping like this.”

“Indeed. Well--“, Kanen began. That was when the bandits struck. It was a small force, not really a match for either the Paladin or the sorceress, but their true tactic became apparent as they started to fall back from the flashing blade of the Paladin. Kanen followed, thinking to clear the roads of their danger, and stepped directly into the trap they had carefully laid on the ground. A jolt of intense electricity played up and down Kanen’s body, Kanen stumbled, unfortunately forward, and received an even more intense shock than the previous, causing him to nearly fall over from the pain, nearly dropping his sword as his muscles spasmed and jerked about. Steeling his concentration, Kanen was careful to remain in one spot and dispatched the remaining bandits, with Skyla’s aid, who had apparently been able to avoid the deadly trap. Once the last bandit fell, Kanen concentrated and healed himself with the healing power granted him by Helm. Stepping carefully backwards, beyond the edge of the trap, Kanen now saw it and pointed it out to Skyla.

In a hoarse voice, pointing at the trap, Kanen forced out, “That thing is deadly. One more false step and I would have been killed.”

Chewing on her lip, Skyla replied, “I don’t see anything…oh! Now I do. Well they have been laying traps all over the Nars…”

“Well I guess that means I had better stay on the road", Kanen responded, slowly standing.

“You?!? What about me?” Skyla shot back, apparently resuming her previous mood and tone as though the near deadly encounter had never occurred.

“Well yes, then you too, if you plan on continuing to follow me about…”, Kanen answered.

“See? You must not really like me. You stomp about as though I’m a burden. I can really be rather useful to have around, you know!”

Thinking on her words, there was something he wished to ask her about. Kanen had seen Skyla and his friend Wilhelm being…affectionate. Yet Wil was with Jade. Always had been. And for that matter where the devil was Jade? It was none of his business, yet Kanen wished to ask the sorceress what was going on between herself and his old friend.

“I--never mind.”, Kanen stopped himself before he began, then tried again, “When you next see Wil, tell him I’d like to speak to him about…something. I haven’t seen him in a number of days, but it seems you and he see each other fairly often so…if you would relay that information, I’d very much appreciate it.”

Perhaps sensing the direction of his thoughts, Skyla simply nodded quietly. They made their way further south in near silence, Kanen leaving her when they came to the road that branched off to Jiyyd, heading home to Seven and his family, Skyla continuing south on to Norwick, their apparent feud ended, at least for now.

• PRIDE

The two men finished tapping the dirt on the grave of the unknown man. Sam had been exiting the north gate of Norwick just as Kanen had been entering. Sam had a body slung over his wide shoulder, and was wanting to give the man a proper burial. The gentle half-orc asked the Paladin if he would say a few words for the man that neither knew. Kanen agreed and they had gone into the graveyard, found an empty grave and lay the man to rest. Kanen had said a few words to his Lord Helm, asking that the man be allowed eternal peace, as Sam had found the unknown man in the Nars Pass, bandits standing over his body, fighting over the meager possessions he had owned.

They slowly left the graveyard, a somber silence between them. Kanen decided that he would go into town and purchase a few supplies then enter and clear the crypts, a task that should be fairly simple for one of his faith and skills, yet the Paladin felt one that required doing from time to time to weaken the grip of the undead in the crypt. Just as they were leaving, however, two entered the cemetery. Kanen had seen both around Norwick briefly, but did not know them well. Apparently, they had been looking for the Paladin. There was Saul, the taciturn and dour dwarven cleric of Hoar, and Nefiri, the quietly confident elven cleric of Illmater. Both green and fairly new to the area. The two asked Kanen if he had any task that needed assistance, as Sam quietly left to head back into the Nars on his constant patrols.

Smiling quietly to himself, Kanen asked if they would like to accompany him into the crypt. The Paladin thought he could watch over the two while they cleared the crypt, only assisting if the two inexperienced clerics got into more trouble than they could handle, as he could easily defeat anything the crypt contained with the power of his faith and the skill he possessed.

So after brief prayers, the three entered down into the crypts. At first, things went as expected. Nefiri and Saul were able to destroy the undead they encountered mostly on their own with the power of their weapons and their faith. They removed all presence of the undead on the first level of the crypt quickly and easily.

The three then made their way to the darkened steps that led down to the lower level of the crypt. Just as they did, two men came running up the stairs, with a story about a strange skeletal form that they could not damage at all with their weapons. Kanen brandished his greatsword, a blade of magical power that was designed to destroy undead, he stated. The two newcomers introduced themselves as Jofri and Mhevyledus, cleric of Milil.

Kanen lead the group down into the lower level and met the skeletal creature, shouting a cry to Helm. However not even his magical weapon could not damage the creature. Kanen also tried to destroy the thing with the power of his faith in Helm to no avail. The Paladin shouted to Nefiri to call upon Illmater to bless their endeavors, which she did. They were then able to cause damage to the strange creature, and after a short, fierce battle, destroyed it. This was no routine trip to the crypts; there was a real danger here, a threat to any who dared enter. This only made the Paladin decide more firmly to clear the crypts of these foul creatures.

Panting slightly, Kanen was surprised by its strength and the strange magical protection that surrounded it. However the group decided to continue, and fought more of the things, one at a time, along with the more mundane undead until they reached the final gate that lead to the main crypt room. Kanen wanted to clear the crypts completely, but asked the others what they wished. All decided to continue, Kanen noted with a private smile inside his helmet.

So the group entered the crypt chamber, where the gate locked behind them. Then, as they moved forward, a foul gas filled the room, making all feel weak as they were wracked by coughing. Then they struck. The mass of undead were lead by two more of the strange skeletal creatures, however dead, faithless clerics, undead mages and deathless barbarian warriors were a mass behind them.

As Kanen swung at the first skeletal creature, it moved faster and struck him against the helmet hard with a bony fist, dazing the knight into senselessness. Then the undead were upon him. As he stood blinking, slowly trying to regain his bearings, the creatures took advantage and struck at him again and again with weapons and with magic. Kanen’s armor soon become bloody from their strikes. He was near covered in his own blood from the myriad cuts and burns from their attacks when he finally regained himself and stumbled away from them. The others faired about as well, or worse. All were bloody, all were growing weary of the combat against so many foes, the two strange skeletal creatures able to break through their defenses again and again.

Kanen quickly gulped every healing potion he possessed and again attacked the nearest skeletal monster, knocking it from it’s feet, slashing at it on the ground. One was destroyed just as he heard the death cry of the dwarf Saul. Rushing over, he saw the remaining skeletal monster thrust its arm through Saul’s chest, as the dwarf shuddered and died.

The small group fought silently, destroying the remaining skeletal creature and all the other undead in chamber until they stood panting, surrounded by the unmoving bodies of the undead and silence of the tomb. Kanen carefully gathered the dwarf’s belongings and gently laid his body over his shoulder as they made their way out of the crypt. Kanen felt responsible, as it was his idea to come here and had made no attempt to persuade them to leave when the threat was seen to be greater than normal.

They were able to exit without further event, went and raised the dwarf. Kanen vowed to himself to remember that he needed to think of those under his protection first, and whatever personal goals he might have, such as clearing the cursed tomb, second. He realized now, he should have ordered a withdrawal once it was determined what types of foes they faced. He had led them into what could have become a slaughter of everyone, avoided only by the will of Helm, and Saul had paid the price of the Paladin’s error with his life. Once Saul was raised, Kanen left the group quietly and made his way back to his home, thinking deeply on the lessons he should learn from this day.

• ::applauds::

• Still enjoying the heck out of this. 🙂

…by the way...if you need someone killed... you know where to go...

• Excellent entry Kanen, one of your best!

• Hey Kanen, you have all this in .doc or .txt form somewhere? It's a little long to read in front of the dummy box, I'd like to sit on the back porch with a mug of joe and watch the clouds when I read it.

• COMING STORM

Kanen’s eyes snapped open, and he came alert quickly from his sleep. He listened to the sounds around him as he lay next to the still sleeping form of Seven, together in their bed in the pitch-black darkness. A large storm was apparently playing havoc over the town of Jiyyd, as he could clearly hear the rain striking the roof of the house, and could hear the moaning of the wind, even through the thick walls of their home, yet he had slept through many storms, this wasn’t what woke him, but then…what had?

There. He heard the sound that had woke him again. A banging noise coming from somewhere else in the house. Fumbling through a drawer in a small table next to his bed, Kanen drew out a candle and lit it. He cupped it in his hands to not wake his wife who he knew was very tired and worn from caring for their two children, because though she had Mera’s helpful aid, the twins were much more work than Kanen would have believed possible. He assisted where he could, but the two women seemed intent on taking most of the burden on themselves. Seven had even gone so far as to decide to stay in the house with the children for a time, hardly leaving the house at all, apparently making up for the time lost during her separation from them.

The noise repeated itself again, bringing Kanen out of his thoughts. Glancing about the room, he drew his sword from it’s sheath that he kept next to the bed, threw on a robe, and slowly padded barefoot out of their room, now shining the light about, looking into the darkened corners for any intruders, sword held ready. He found nothing and no one in the main room.

Once again, he heard the noise. Turning his head, he realized it was coming from Seven’s study. Moving cautiously, blade held ready, he slowly approached the door that was closed. He quietly put his ear to the door, listening. He again heard the loud banging sound from inside. Taking a deep breath, sword held high, Kanen slowly turned the knob on the door, then threw it open, looking quickly about the room. As he opened the door, a strong gust of wind blew from inside the room, extinguishing his light, leaving him in darkness, as he stood blocking the doorway.

He stood there for a few minutes, awaiting an attack that did not come. His eyes slowly adjusted to the near dark conditions, but he noticed the window in Seven’s study was open, admitted a faint light from the storm raging outside. Then he heard the noise yet again and realized it was the banging of a loose shutter on the window. Smiling slightly, Kanen walked over to the window to secure the shutter and shut the window. The wooden floor was wet. He felt a board give slightly under his bare foot, as he shut and secured the window.

Looking down, he realized one of the boards seemed loose and was slightly ajar. There seemed to be a space below the boards. Squatting down, Kanen lifted the loose board and tried to look into the darkness. He relit his candle and looked again. Inside the space there was a book. The book looked very familiar, he realized because it was Seven’s diary. The diary she had said she had lost. The one that Jubei had supposedly stolen. Frowning, Kanen lifted the book out and set it on the table by the window. The diary fell open to a page, apparently the last page that Seven had been writing in.

He found himself reading, and becoming filled with rage as he read the words there. The last entry was about Seven’s last trip to Peltarch, the day their children had come home at last. It spoke of how she met someone secretly there. Jubei. Her words were full of a guilty happiness she felt, and spoke of the joy she felt when in his arms when they lay together. Kanen could barely see now, his fury hot and near blinding.

He stormed out of the study, down the hall and stomped back into the bedroom he and Seven shared. He stood over her, looking down as she still rested peacefully, a faint smile on her lips. Looking up, Kanen realized his sword was again in his hand and with a shout of fury he brought the blade down, aiming at her traitorous neck…
    __

Kanen’s eyes opened, and he realized he was covered in a cold sweat. The details of his dream were still fresh in his mind, as he turned to see the sleeping form of Seven lying next to him, deep in slumber. Slowing his breathing, he could hear a storm raging outside their house. Just as he was starting to close his eyes to return to sleep, he heard the noise. A banging noise. Blinking, Kanen realized it was just like the sound from his dream. Frowning, he rose quietly. He gathered his sword and a ring that gave off a magical light, threw on a robe and padded barefoot out of the room.

Holding the ring high, sword held ready, he looked about the room but found nothing but empty shadows. Again the banging noise from Seven’s study, he knew. Slowly he moved to the door, and put his ear on it to listen, and heard nothing. Turning the knob, Kanen threw open the door and was struck by a gust of wind. Peering about the room, Kanen saw the window was indeed open, letting in the wind and rain from the storm outside. Also the shutter was loose and banged again while he stood watching it.

Feeling strange as things played out almost exactly as in his dream, he moved to the window to close and secure it…and felt a board move loosely under his bare foot. He first closed and secured the window, then looked down. There was an empty space below the board. Moving the loose board out of the way, Kanen got down on his hands and knees and almost apprehensively looked into the space. He found a single sheet of strange parchment, though, not a book.

The writing on the parchment was written with a delicate hand, the letters spidery and flowing. The parchment read:

The assassin may want your children, but I want you. You will pay. By the gods, I swear you will pay.

Kanen read and reread the note trying to determine its meaning or author, yet could learn nothing more from it. Just as he was about to fold it up to put it away, it caught fire and burned away in a flash of light, leaving only ashes. Kanen sat heavily on the chair in Seven’s study, realizing he had no proof that any of this had occurred.

Kanen knelt in prayer for some time before quietly returning to his bedroom and climbing back into bed next to Seven. The letter had existed. He had seen and read it. It was proof that he wasn’t going crazy, that someone was trying to cause him harm. The Paladin realized however, he still had no clue on who was doing this or even why. He slowly returned to a troubled sleep, his dreams of forms masked by shadows, surrounding and laughing at him.

• Salina puts in a bid to be his squire, too.

• @397941703d=Marcus_Endur:

coughs
    no sleeping with the maid now, Kanen 😉

Pfeh.. Kanen wouldn't sleep with the maid. It's too cliche.

Everything else is fair game however.

• coughs
    no sleeping with the maid now, Kanen 😉

• NEW ADDITIONS

Kanen was sitting on the bench near the gates of Jiyyd, quietly reading, when he heard a woman's voice ask if his name was Kanen Hightower. Looking up, he saw a red haired woman who looked weary and worn, as though tired from some journey or struggle.

After confirming to her that he was Kanen, she introduced herself. It was Mera. Mera, Seven's childhood friend. Mera, the nurse who was bringing his children home to Jiyyd at last. With a smile Kanen greeted her, but he also looked nervously about as she seemed alone.

Apparently seeing his unanswered question, Mera explained the children were right outside the gate with the two bodyguards she had hired to help protect them during their journey. Moving quickly, both Kanen and Mera went back outside, gathered the babes and the packs that contained the clothing and possessions of the children and Mera herself, thanked the guards, and reentered Jiyyd.

Kanen held his daughter, Revanna, most carefully as he showed Mera the way back to the house he shared with Seven. It would also be Mera's home, Kanen realized. Mera carried his son Durai with more practiced ease than the Paladin was able to mimic.

Carrying the children inside their home, Kanen and Mera took the children and put them in their cribs that Seven had purchased recently. Both babes seemed to fall asleep almost immediately apparently worn out from their long, tiring journey.

Mera looked worn as well, but stayed alert and awake long enough for Kanen to show the house to her, and he apologized that Seven was unable to be there to meet her, as Seven had gone to the temple of Tyr in Peltarch for the day, but would be returning later that evening.

Mera smiled and mentioned that was like Seven, always deep in her studies. Kanen and Mera sat in front of the fireplace, getting acquainted as they would be sharing the same house, and already shared the love of the children and of Seven to base their new relationship upon.

Mera explained to Kanen that Seven had been something of a big sister to her, while they were growing up, and that Mera had looked up to Seven, as Seven was somewhat older than Mera. When he asked what profession Mera followed, Kanen expected her to say she was a priestess like Seven, and was somewhat surprised to learn that Mera was actually a mage instead.

Mera noticed the Paladin's slight frown at her words and smiled saying she was used to such a reaction to her chosen profession. Kanen apologized saying that while he might have trouble trusting mages in general, he would trust her since Seven did already, and because she had cared for his children apparently as if they were her own.

Her eyes drooping, Mera admitted she was more tired than she thought and Kanen showed her to where she would be staying, with the children, and allowed her to get some much needed sleep after their long journey.

Later that evening Seven returned home, and was overjoyed to see both her children home at last, and her friend from her childhood that would be staying with them.

Kanen realized he had a family of his own at last. His beautiful wife Seven, his son Durai, his daughter Revanna, and now Seven's childhood friend Mera. The Paladin had become well blessed in his years in Narfell. But one thought shadowed his evening of happiness. Those who had great riches had more to lose than those with none. He only hoped and prayed he could protect them all from the dangers in Narfell, and of course, from Jubei in particular. He knew though, Helm willing, all would be fine.

Except for this one thought of darkness, it was a fine evening indeed. Kanen sat back and watched Seven and Mera laughing and speaking of times past, and watching in near amazement at the beauty of his children. They all stayed up late into the night, and when he finally retired for the evening, Kanen's dreams that night were only remembered as vague shadows when he awoke, which was probably for the best.

• HOMECOMING

Wearily, Kanen walked towards his house in Jiyyd. He still was trying to make sense of the events of the past few hours, though without success. He and Lucia had traveled to Norwick, as Jiyyd had seemed very quiet and safe from threats.

When they arrived, it was to the shouts of warning about some undead menace coming from the crypts of Norwick. Kanen quickly murmured his prayers to Helm, asking for His divine assistance if battle were to be joined. Just as the two were about to enter the graveyard, a skeletal form came shambling slowly out.

It was a huge, powerful skeletal warrior with a greatsword etched with dark runes. Its evil was easily felt with little effort from the Paladin. With a call to Helm for His power, Kanen ran up to and placed his palm on the skull of the undead creature and using the power of his healing touch, destroyed the skeletal form utterly.

Falling to his knees, Kanen thanked his Lord for the victory, giving praise to Helm’s power, when the dust that the skeleton had became slowly gathered and the skeletal creature reformed! Apparently, this was no simple skeletal creature, but some darker abomination. Kanen and Lucia decided to follow it, gathering their friend Fishel, cleric of Illmater, along the way, trying to determine its purpose or intentions before another attempt to destroy it would be made.

The creature shambled its way to Jiyyd, and blew a hole in the wall there. The thing then walked into the graveyard in Jiyyd and caused yet another skeletal warrior to be raised from a grave, before it could be stopped. Both creatures left Jiyyd and traveled west back to the Nars, and began traveling north. Seeing that this thing seemed to be gathering forces, it was decided to attempt to destroy at least the second skeleton, which they were able to do.

The original creature continued on its way north, until it reached the city of Peltarch. By this time, Skyla and Marcus and Damarcus had become involved in the chase, and the group decided the creature could not be allowed to enter Peltarch, and attacked. The creature quickly slew Marcus, but as the others surrounded it, and all were severely wounded in the combat, it suddenly vanished…leaving only questions.

Skya saw to the raising of Marcus, so Kanen tiredly walked back to Jiyyd to return home to rest. Which is where he was now. He fumbled for his key, unlocked the door and entered. He first realized that someone else was in the house, he could hear movement in the main room, his fatigue and pain forgotten, he moved quickly into the main room; hand on his sword hilt when he saw her.

There was Seven, bright smile on her angelic face, golden hair and golden armor, returned to him at last. Moving swiftly, he gathered her up into a crushing embrace, raining kisses on her face and lips, as he laughed with joy. Seven returned the tight embrace happily, but seemed to wince a bit and reminded him with a weary smile that she was not fully recovered from the delivery, which caused Kanen to loosen his embrace somewhat.

Looking about, he asked where the twins were. Seven informed him that her childhood friend Mera would be arriving shortly with the babies, as Mera would be a nurse and protector for the children. Nodding, Kanen agreed with the decision, as with Jubei still running about plotting, they could use the help in protecting the infants from his grasp.
    __

Later that night, holding Seven in his arms, Kanen slept soundly for the first time in quite a while, his dreams untroubled by strange or dark feelings and visions. His last thought before drifting to sleep was whether if he should tell Seven about these things, but then a deep sleep took him, seeming to allow him a much needed rest at last.

• THE OFFER

The sun reached the ground in slanted rays, filtered by the leaves of the tall trees in the forest. The smell of fresh death was strong in the air, and the ground of the forest was littered with the corpses and blood of bugbears, lying at unnatural angles, a few missing their heads, and a couple more nearly clove in two.

Two figures still walked among the dead. Lucia knelt and wiped her blade with leaves to clean it of the bugbear blood and gore that covered it. Kanen stood leaning against a tree, eyes closed, murmuring a silent prayer. Lucia stood and turned with a feral grin at seeing how she had nearly cut her last foe in two, when the smile quickly faded. She looked upon the dark armored form of the foul cleric of Bane, Ashan Nottiams. She spoke his name, which caused Kanen to quickly open his eyes and stare at the hated giant.

Ashan was, of course, not alone. He had a huge skeleton servant, grinning a deathless grin, wielding a giant sword. Kanen walked over by Lucia and stood, sword drawn and ready.

“Well. If it isn’t the animal Ashan.”, Kanen said through gritted teeth, eyes hard.

“How…assiduous of you, Mr. Hightower”, the dark cleric sneered.

“I don’t understand. Why do you waste yourself like this. You could be…so much more, with proper training”, he added.

“Ashan, why don’t you just turn yourself into Norwick now. Your crimes must be paid for.”, Kanen returned.

Seeming to think about it, Ashan smiled and replied “I’ll do that right after you slit Lucia’s throat.”

Kanen chuckled, then laughed. She didn’t see the blade headed toward her throat until it was too late. With a look filled with shock and betrayal, Lucia stood, attempting to hold in the flow of red with both hands clutching at her throat. Her mouth moved wordlessly as Kanen looked, devoid of emotion at her, holding his blooded sword at his side. Lucia fell over and died.

“We have much to discuss”, Ashan rumbled, a dark smile on his face that matched the one Kanen wore.

Ashan laughed a dark laugh and the two headed off into the woods together, leaving Lucia’s corpse behind, without looking back.
    __

He opened his eyes slowly.

That is NOT what happened. he thought to himself.

It was, close however…Kanen, lying in a cold sweat in his bed attempted to remember the true details. The dream had been close. Thinking hard, Kanen realized that everything up to the point of Ashan’s offer seemed to be what he remembered. After that…the details seemed hazy, as though seen through a mist.

He forced himself to take deep, slow breaths, concentrating on remembering…it wouldn’t come.

From another angle, then, he thought.

Kanen knew he was still a Paladin in his Lord’s favor. He knew what it felt like to fall out of favor with his Lord, and as far as he could tell, Helm’s favor had not been withdrawn from him. He further knew, if he had committed such an act of heinous Evil, he would no longer be Paladin. So the dream was a lie.

Slowly, his memory returned, of how he had, of course, declined Ashan’s offer, some further tense moments when it seemed combat was imminent, and then Ashan withdrawing with a sneer, his undead slave walking silently behind him.

What is happening to me? Why am I having these thoughts? Where are they coming from?

What made Kanen pause most of all, was the thought if he had not been a Paladin, who could innately tell if he had committed such dark acts or not, he might have started to believe these dreams could be real.

Someone or something was attacking him, altering or controlling his dreams, and it seemed perhaps somehow affecting his memory…but who?