Stories of Kanen Hightower

• I woke last night from a dream. I cannot remember any details, other than it had to do with that damned holy sword. While it may sound strange to put both words together to describe something, the Sword of Faramir, the blade 'Ever Vigilant', is indeed both a Holy sword of my Lord Helm and yet blackly cursed.

Cursed in how it must be used and maintained. Cursed in that the ones who tricked me so well will do and sacrifice anything to have it release that which it holds. The sacrifice of a boy was nothing to them, and I worry daily for the lives of my own children, and of my wife, that they might try to use them against me in some way.

They know that only I know. They know where I am. I pray to Helm I will have the strength to withstand this. I will stay vigilant and ready, but I can almost hear them scurrying about in the darkness, just out of sight…at least for now.

• WORN

It has been years now, since what we believed was the destruction of the Crystallis Draco. Of course, we were wrong, as the coming of Astrid should have shown us. Seven returned to me, having never actually left, saving me from myself, from losing everything I was and everything I valued. I had not failed Him nor her. However, the line between victory and failure had become very blurred. She had saved me before I failed, I had not saved myself. I can’t help but wonder at times what my life would have been like if she had not, what life Robyn and I would have had, and could we ever have known happiness at the price that would have been required.

However, as soon as I saw her face once again, bright blue eyes framed by her golden hair, I knew. I had been drowning and had not seen the water. I had been standing on the edge of a cliff and did not see the fall that I would not return from, as I leaned further and further forward. She said she understood. And asked for me to forgive her for her deception, having never really left. She and I came together once more, never to be separated again until final death take us.

I decided I was not the strength that the temple and the Order needed, stepping aside for Shane on whom Helm’s watchful light shined brightly, she was more than worthy of the mantle of leadership that I was no longer. The weeks and months passed, the children growing and learning of our Patrons, our Lords, Helm and Torm both. I became the combat and weapons instructor for the temple, serving quietly, helping the novice priests and paladins to learn to defend themselves and their charges, and spending time at my home with Seven and the children, aiding in their education and simply spending the time with them that I had thought gone forever.

When the cultists in Mintas Rhelgor killed Shane and challenged and dared me to come forth, I smiled, though grimly. When younger, I would have boldly burst forth alone, arrayed in my might and strength and faith that Helm would see me to victory. Now, older, perhaps wiser, certainly scarred from the lessons of experience, I instead slowly gathered old friends, and allies of the Order, before we went into that place, and brought the broken body of Shane the leader of the Order out safely, having nearly destroyed the power of the cultists in the process. I watched as she was raised once more, and again faded into the background, thanking the Watcher for my chance to play a part in her return.

When it was learned the Drow had captured Rith, priestess of Lathander, and I was asked to go to that terrible place and attempt to return her, I went, and fought along side Shane, and many old friends. We were both victorious and yet had failed, a bitter taste of ashes that I was not unfamiliar with. Rith had been saved, yet Norwick lay in burning ruins when we emerged, thinking we were victorious.

I continue to serve Him to this day, as a trainer of the young, and of my own young. I watch and listen, and stay ready when needed. At times I travel from the lands of Narfell when I receive visions that I must, I go where I am directed, do as I am instructed, and return home to my wife and family once more, never speaking of these things, as I have also been instructed. Seven understands this and never asks about these times having the faith in me as she has always. The faith that saved me.

I do not feel broken, yet worn. I feel at times like a sword that has been nicked and dulled somewhat by all that I have done and experienced in my time in this place, yet I am a sword that still has an edge and still has use, and will continue to maintain my quiet readiness as my Lord directs. I will stay ready to answer the call the when needed until He takes me home at last, finally absolved of my sins and errors of my mortal life.

• MINDS

I was wrong. Despite my preparations for war, I never swung my sword once, nor received a single cut or bruise during our second foray into the Temple of the White Wraith Order. It was much worse than that. Instead, myself, Robyn, Vino, Equinox, Delvana, Talgris and the man Troth were locked together in the mind of the reborn creator of the dread Crystallis Draco orb, Ezah Naerus. We all faced death if he failed, as our minds were ‘encased’ inside his, in some strange way. Yet he swore he would destroy the orb once our mission was completed.

With Mel’hrus and Jubei gone from the Temple, it was believed to be lightly guarded. This turned out to be mostly true. Naerus was blinded during the entry into the Temple, something he had known would happen, thus at least one reason for our presence. We were not there physically as it was beyond his abilities, apparently, so instead, our minds traveled with his…and each other.

To say the experience was strange would be an immense understatement. I have never experienced anything such as this before, and hope never to again. The thoughts of his reptilian mind were both alien and mostly blocked from our ability to read or understand. However, the thoughts and feelings of my fellow travelers were somewhat more open to understanding. Once each of us realized the nature of this strange link, we ‘retreated’ behind walls attempting to keep our thoughts and feelings private from each other.

However, I felt Robyn’s presence hovering closely near mine during most of this ordeal. I found her gentle presence both comforting and yet somewhat disturbing, as we all were sharing a mental bond, a connection beyond what most mortals are able to share with one another, and I felt the connection with her the strongest, as her thoughts and feelings she kept open to me. I felt her feelings of love for me, but attempted to my focus my thoughts on the mission at hand.

The entry into the Temple was made easy by the arcane talents of the wizard Naerus, yet difficult by his inability to see, relying on the directions of our minds; we were somehow able to see through his eyes though he could not. There were precipices and bridges to safely navigate, and sorceresses and assassins in our path, yet we dealt with all as required and made our way into the temple proper.

Inside the temple, there were additional guards, but all were slain by Naerus’ dark arcane powers. We knew we had to move as hurriedly as we could afford, as the alarm was now raised, and who knew what forces were already on their way to defend the temple and the Crystallis Draco. We found rooms with strange patterns of glyphs etched into their floors and soon realized they were the key to reaching the hidden orb.

I remembered a note that Roubanes had written down during his mission here in the temple. The note gave four compass directions to follow, but then said to ‘reverse and appose’ them. It also ominously mentioned that all other paths led to death. We argued back and forth about the riddle, realizing we only had one chance to get the order correct.

We were almost certain the four directions were concerning the four rune patterns we had found in four separate rooms. It seemed each pattern must be entered and traversed, but in the proper order, or death would result. It was Robyn that realized that the directions were partly a riddle as ‘reverse and appose’ would negate each other, meaning that we should follow the original set of directions.

We had Naerus follow our instructions, quite tensely, waiting at any moment to be blasted to oblivion, yet after each rune was traversed, we would hear a click and continued along our chosen path. Finally we reached the last rune and as Naerus crossed it, we were suddenly somewhere else, in a circular room without a door. Instructing Naerus to again follow the pattern, it appeared. The seemingly harmless orb that had caused so much death, bloodshed and horror since it’s presence had cursed the lands of Narfell. Naerus picked up his orb with a dark smile and we were transported back into the main temple.

I’ll admit I expected treachery and betrayal from the Orb’s creator, as he grew quieter, not answering our questions once he had his orb in hand. His first act was to summon the dread dracoliche that was bonded to the Orb and instructed it to seek out those who had used the Orb for their own purpose and to destroy them with the plague they had attempted to control. Without a word, the terrible beast disappeared, leaving Naerus alone in the temple, saying that Mel’hrus and all of her order would now pay.

I began insisting that he destroy the Orb now, sure that he would now betray us, perhaps trapping us forever somehow, yet he instead returned to where our physical bodies had been left and we felt the disorientation as we were indeed once more restored to our separate bodies. With a near shout I drew my sword as fast as I was able and stood before Naerus demanding he keep his bargain and destroy the Orb now. I told him I was prepared to die rather than see that cursed Orb ever used again.

He only laughed darkly and told me to calm myself. The others gathered nearby, each of us adjusting to being inside our own bodies once more. Naerus then said there was only one way the Orb could be destroyed. Someone would have to sacrifice their life, their soul to destroy the thing. He chuckled that he no longer had a soul and could not do this himself, though he would be destroyed in the Orb’s unmaking.

I calmly stepped forward saying that I would do this. To remove this Orb from the face of the world was worth such a sacrifice I knew in my heart, even if it meant the end of my existence forever. Robyn stepped forward then, arguing with me about how I had too much to live for, my children, my service to Helm, and that instead she should be the one to destroy it. Then the others began saying that they too, would be willing to sacrifice their lives in the destruction of the Crystallis Draco.

During this arguing back and forth, they arrived. Steele and Marin slowly walked up to us, Marin looking at the Orb with a deep sadness in her eyes, though she seemed calm and near emotionless. She spoke above our voices, saying simply that since the Orb had been the charge of her family for many years that she would be the one to unmake it at last. Her family’s service would end here with the destruction of the Orb and herself.

I quietly began to argue that she had sacrificed and suffered enough, yet she said simply this was a matter of honor and her fate. I could not argue with that. She was strangely linked to the cursed Orb, I knew, as her family had guarded it for many years. With few other words she stepped forward next to Naerus and struck at the Orb, destroying it in a single blow, as she and Naerus faded into nothing.

Most strange of all, after the Orb was utterly destroyed a woman appeared in a flash of blinding light. She seemed both weak and yet powerful, lost yet full of obvious power. Her beauty was striking. Fairest golden hair and purple eyes. She spoke her name but once when asked…Astrid. She suddenly disappeared again in a flash of light and was gone, though not for long I would later learn.

We all left then, a glowing feeling of accomplishment in our hearts, knowing we had destroyed a great evil and kept many innocents safe this day. The Wasting, the Blood Rot would trouble us no more. Robyn and I made our way back to Jiyyd together, walking side by side. She said something I could not deny. She mentioned that she had shared a bond, a connection that no other woman ever had with me, and that she would always remember it. I simply nodded quietly as we entered the gates of Jiyyd and home.

• RESOLVE

I knelt in the temple, preparing myself mentally for war. She had made her error at last. Overconfidence in herself and the defenses of the White Wraith temple. She had murdered over ten thousand, if the reports proved to be true with the hideous plague unleashed upon more than one city. However, the orb had to remain within her temple, far from her reach. This was our chance. She was not there, nor was Jubei. The mysterious third remained just that, but nothing had been heard of her.

I awaited only word from my brother Paladin Steele, or even from the dread creator of the Crystallis Draco Ezah Nearus. Vino had reported that he might have found an entrance to her lair. We would go there and wrest control of the dread orb from those she had left behind to guard it, or die in the attempt. Her evil could not be allowed to continue, she was growing ever stronger, with latest reports of her army over seven thousand strong.

My thoughts turned to my internal turmoil and I steeled myself there as well. Seven was and always would be the love of my life. Though things were strained between us, she was the mother of my children and the woman I had sworn a bond to before her and the gods. Whatever misplaced feelings I may have been feeling were just that. Robyn was someone very close to me, I had always tried to protect her since she first came to this place so many years ago, and I would continue to do so.

I would not shun her for her feelings towards me, I knew fate had not been kind to her, first with Falcon leaving her, then the folly of falling for the fool Marcus. I now knew how she felt about me, which may have confused me somewhat for a bit, but I would control whatever emotions this might cause. She would realize her mistake soon enough, and find someone worthy of her affections.

As a Paladin of Helm I was accustomed to controlling my emotions and feelings, putting Duty before all. I could not fail in something as simple as this, could I?

• THE TOUCH

I strode into the temple, not knowing what I’d find. The temple of Lathander had been attacked again, so once this was dealt with, I had rushed back to Jiyyd and the temple of Helm. What I found there both shocked and angered me. Three dead acolytes, their blood and internal organs spread throughout the temple…and the altar had been smashed into many pieces.

I was livid in anger and sorrow for the slain innocents, here in the House of Helm. Myself, Orania, and Sam, and a few others, took care of the bodies and cleaned up what we could of the blood and gore. I then fell on my knees, before His statue, as the altar was no longer there, closed my eyes and began to pray…asking for His guidance in what we should do to end these attacks and not allow these heretics to desecrate His home.

I think we all decided to do the same, with heads bowed, we all prayed. It started as a light that shone from the ceiling of the temple, where the altar had been, and the light grew brighter and brighter. I know this from the words of Orania and some of the others, as my eyes were still tightly closed, my head bowed in fervent prayer.

Then…He appeared. He was arrayed in platinum armor, fully helmed, of course. My eyes were still closed until I heard His voice…a voice I heard only once before in my years of service to Him. I opened my eyes to be near overwhelmed with awe as I looked upon the power, the might, the glory of the Eternal Watchman, Helm himself had come to our temple, His house.

He spoke commands, mostly to me directly, though I was near overcome from the experience, I forced myself to listen hard and remember every utterance from Him. Then…above and beyond any expectations any mortal should dare to hope or dream, He reached out with His Holiest of swords and touched me lightly on each shoulder plate. I nearly fell over then, but remained kneeling, head bowed, though shuddering slightly from the godly touch…then He was gone.

We were all stunned for some times, I am unsure how long we kneeled or stood there, in amazement and awe of what we had been so fortunate to witness. I looked about at everyone I knew there. Sam, Orania, Walkman, two I barely knew; Whitehawk and Amadan, and Robyn. I looked carefully at each of them as my Lord had said I must remain vigilant as someone where would betray me. I suppose my look became somewhat guarded, as Robyn approached me directly.

She asked me the question. The question I didn’t want to answer yet. My mind was still racing from what had just occurred but she wanted an answer to the question, as she looked up at me, her lower lip trembling, I saw the sixteen year old girl again, newly come to Norwick. She, of course, asked me if I still trusted her. I raised her chin gently with my hand and told her that I would always trust her. After all, it was Robyn who had saved me by poisoning me, and sat by my side while I had slept.

Robyn left, and I talked excitedly with the others, how this temple would be a place that Helmites would come from leagues away to see the place where Lord Helm had once stood. I decided then, that once I was dead and sent to my Lord forever, that the armor I wore, the metal He had touched would be enshrined here in the temple. As I was musing about future generations, my own children included, coming to the temple in remembrance of His visitation, Jenna came into the temple saying that Robyn had left and was going away.

When I asked why, Jenna said that Robyn was afraid she would be the betrayer, as she had been controlled before by evil forces. Shaking my head, I left the temple and Jiyyd, to head north, to see if the temple of Tyr had been attacked as well, and offer my aid if needed. As I had just finished talking to Daisy, the head priestess who had married Seven and I, someone walked into the temple. It was Robyn.

She said she had been following me all the way up the Nars, and scolded me for being careless in traveling alone. When I asked about her leaving, she said she wouldn’t be leaving, but had a confession that I needed to hear. When I asked what I was, she said she wished to tell me in private, so we left the temple and city and headed south into the grasses.

We found a flat rock where we both sat. I looked at her, telling her there was nothing she truly needed to tell me, that there was no need for any confession. She disagreed and began to talk about killing the man who had hurt Marcus Endur, she called it murder. I argued that killing was not murder as I killed often, and would kill Mel’hrus in a moment if she appeared before me then.

Looking east, as the sun began to rise, she continued. She talked about how she had kept everything I had ever given her, and how Perence and even Jenna had known her secret for years. She said she had settled, because she knew she had to. I looked at Robyn, looked into her green eyes somewhat puzzled, unable to understand what she meant. She closed her eyes and just asked for me to let her pretend, if only for a moment. When I asked her what she meant, she rolled her eyes, muttering how men hear but don’t listen. She then leaned into me, wrapped her arms around me and kissed me. Quite soundly. Before I could react, she quickly withdrew and stood. She asked if I understood now.

I sat there, in shock. I thought about my reaction. While I had not returned her kiss or embrace, I did not pull away. I did not get up and leave. I was not angry. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to feel or react, but slowly admitted to myself that I had somewhat enjoyed it. She talked further, as I recovered myself, about how I was one of the few men in Narfell that she truly looked up to and respected. She said she knew I would act awkward around her now, and I told her I would not. We made our way back to Jiyyd, mostly quiet, yet it was not awkward.

What I am doing? Should I have left? Should I have been angry? I am praying daily for guidance in this matter, but feel unsure of how I should act or feel in this matter. Being unsure is not something I’m used to. Not at all.

• SPIRAL

It started with the dream. Every night, it would return, and I would wake screaming. I was both ashamed and humiliated that I, Kanen Hightower, Paladin of Helm, would wake screaming and cursing from nightmares, yet it was so. It was always the same, it never varied. Soon…I dreaded sleep, I avoided it as long as I could. However, when I would finally succumb, the dream was there waiting for me. Mel’hrus’ amber eyes and her taunting laughter.

I continued my attempts to convince Seven to take the children and go. To leave this place and go to the safety of her parents estate. No matter how I tried, she only refused repeating that she would not be forced from her home. Our discussions turned somewhat bitter. I’m sure she was unaware of what this was doing to me. But I was falling apart, bit by bit. The only answer I could see was to make sure the dream could not come true. If Seven took the children far away and safe, then perhaps that would end my nightly journey to the horrors of the plague.

Soon, I wasn’t sleeping at all. I would lie next to her for a few hours, until she was asleep, then I would get up, don my armor and equipment, and head out, looking to make good use of my time, if I could not sleep. For days, I did not sleep. Though at times, when I allowed myself to sit or stand still, sleep was there, trying to claim me. I would begin to drift into slumber…and be jerked back awake by the sight of those amber eyes and her evil laughter.

A part of me realized I was on a downward spiral. My body and mind were degrading rapidly without proper rest, yet I saw no easy solution. Why did I hide this from Seven? I’m not sure I know that answer even now. I wandered about the Nars and the wilds. If I kept moving, sleep could not claim me. Some things I said, some things I did during this time, are something of a blank to me, yet I know some days passed as I moved in this sleepless fog.

I was sitting on a bench in Peltarch, not quite sure how I had arrived there, drifting in and out of a grey fog, when she arrived. She approached and sat next to me, almost immediately realizing something was wrong with me. Her first question, after peering into my helmet and seeing my red, bloodshot, darkened eyes was if I had been sleeping. I had told her of the dream, but hadn’t seen her in days, at least that I could remember.

She took me by the hand, saying she could help me. I looked into her green eyes and only saw deep concern and worry. I remember thinking that I must have looked pretty bad. She led me to the Dancing Mermaid, told me to have a seat. I sat, my head drooping forward over the table, more asleep than awake.

She brought me a mug full of some murky liquid that was hot. She said it was tea. I drank it slowly, grimacing at the bitter taste. I finished the bitter tea and stood, somewhat woozily. She said she had a room for me, and took my hand and led me upstairs, as my extremities started to tingle.

I remember entering the room, almost collapsing forward on the bed, still encased in my armor. Darkness took me. Again I saw the amber eyes, saw the red-headed elf Mel’hrus standing there, laughing her dark laugh…yet then it changed. The eyes became green, and her shape and voice softened. What occurred next in this dream I will not detail, though it still causes me some embarrassment upon remembering.

Suffice it to say, I finally awoke, lying in the bed, my armor lying neatly at the bottom of the bed. She was there at the bedside, sitting in a chair, watching over me. I was still clothed, of course, but she had apparently removed my armor once I had fallen unconscious. My thoughts were groggy, yet I felt better than I had in many days. She said I had slept for more than twelve hours. I had little trouble believing that, considering how much better I felt than previously.

I quickly re-armored myself, with her help. Smiling, I thanked her for everything she had done, and asked what had been in that tea. When she said she had poisoned me, my smile faded as I realized she was quite serious. She said that small dose she had given me caused only sleep. While I thought on this, we left the room and made our way out of the Mermaid. I glanced about a bit guiltily, though I knew nothing had happened, at least outside of my drug-induced dream…I suddenly realized the dream had indeed been about her as she flashed a smile at me as we left the inn.

• :shock:

DUDE!

You really had me going there. :?

• THE STORM

It was a chance for us to get away, at least for a little while. Seven and I had taken both Durai and Revanna with us, east out of Jiyyd, some distance away, to a quiet hillside where we had a picnic lunch, and surprisingly, the children fell asleep before too long, stretched out on the wool blanket. I sat reclining back on a tree that grew on the hilltop. Seven leaned back in my arms as we enjoyed the peace, the near silence as the wind blew through the treetops, causing the long grasses to bend and cooling the unusually warm day.

I held her hands in mine, my arms wrapped around her, as I whispered quietly into her ear, as she flashed a knowing smile up to me. I was alert but also felt very relaxed. Then I saw the dark clouds forming to the west, near Jiyyd. It was no great surprise. The entire region had a great deal of rainfall, of course. It was a rare day that went without at least some showers if not a storm. The dark clouds seem to move toward and then lay heavily over the town, as I heard the keening sound of the wind coming from the west, the wind must have been strong under those clouds, I thought, as the moaning wind from the west could be heard growing louder, yet the clouds were no closer to us.

So, I returned my attentions to Seven, glancing at our twins, restful in sleep, as they seldom were when awake. I gently rocked back and forth, as Seven closed her eyes, apparently enjoying our outing as much as I. The moaning sound from the west was only increasing, however. It was now more like a howling, yet the dark, ominous storm clouds were no closer to us, and, finally seemed to be dissipating as they slowly continued west.

Seven then opened her eyes, and a slight frown appeared on her face as she glanced west along with me. The sound of the howling wind was only continuing to grow louder, even though the storm seemed at least mostly over. We both glanced at the children and reached the same decision. Though the last few hours had been both enjoyable and restful, it was time we headed back, before that wind and storm did arrive here and we found ourselves on the hill unprepared, with two small children to protect as well as ourselves, and the sun was slowly set to the west as well.

We gathered our things, picking up the plates and glasses, packing them back away into the basket, Seven picked up both children with practiced ease, as I finished gathering our things. The scene was near idyllic, the exception of the sound of the howling, moaning wind that continued to grow louder from the west. I was in my armor, as I almost always was, yet Seven, and of course the children were not, therefore I drifted slowly ahead of Seven as she carried our twins. I scanned carefully about, both before and behind us, as the hairs on the back of my neck were raising for some unknown reason…I felt as if there were a threat close by, but I could see nothing. Even my Gift showed to me no evil presence in the area.

Slowly, cautiously, we continued west, as Seven innately picked up on my mood and she glanced about as well, holding the sleeping children close to her, her blue eyes darting about. The sound grew only louder as we approached the town, yet I felt no wind, only a weak breeze. The air felt thick and humid. We reached the gates, hearing the howling wind from inside. I unconsciously leaned forward into the gates as I opened them, expecting to be blown back by the wind I had been unable to find thus far, Seven had her back to the wall, standing some distance away, in case some threat burst out that I would not be able to deal with. Yes, caution seemed to be ruling our every thought now, both warriors borne and bred, feeling a threat we could not see, yet trusting our feelings, relying on our years of training.

The sun had almost completely set as the gates creaked open…there was no wind, though now the sound seemed to be only louder, yet realization slowly dawned on me that it came from many sources, not the sound of some strange wind at all. The Watch were not at their posts. This alone caused me to stop in the gathering darkness. In fact, I saw no one at all. Motioning Seven forward, we both entered the town, listening to the raw moaning and howling sounds and came from many sources, as yet unseen. Glancing at Seven, her eyes flashed with concern for the bundles she carried, yet also flashed hard as she seemed to think what she would do to any who attempted to harm them.

Slowly, I drew my longsword, listening to the sound of the enchanted, razor sharp blade coming free of its sheath with some satisfaction. Yet it could barely be heard above the wailing that surrounded us. Then I saw someone. A form slowly approached, hidden by the darkness and the shadows, yet it seemed to someone swaying back and forth, stumbling forward. Some drunk, I thought. There must have been some party or festival that I was unaware of, and this was some straggler who was deep into his cups, probably stumbling about, looking for his home.

I called out to the form, letting him know that we there, before he stumbled onto my blade, yet he continued to move slowly forward, nearly falling over many times. The keening, the moaning, the wailing sound seemed to increase somewhat as the shambling form approached. As the form entered the torchlight at last, I saw that his mouth was stretched open, and his eyes glittered with madness. As he saw us, he now tried to move more quickly toward us both, his arms outstretched, as his body seemed wracked with spasms and tremors.

I told him in a commanding voice to stop, yet he did not slow, stumbling forward, eyes full of hatred and pain, it seemed. Then I noticed his face, and his bare arms. Something was very wrong here. His skin seemed as though alive, something seemed to be crawling beneath the surface of his skin, or many somethings. His intent to attack seemed obvious, despite my forceful warnings for him to stop, so I was left with little choice. I wanted to only wound him, but, as my blade pierced his strange flesh, some awareness seemed to return to his eyes, if only for a moment, and he nearly threw himself on my sword. He seemed to sigh and smiled as his life ebbed away. I noticed his blood flowing from his wounds seemed to run slowly, as though more sludge than the blood of a man…the color of the blood was dark…nearly black. Several tiny, wriggling forms could be seen crawling though the blood, and now breaking though the man’s skin in many places.

I looked up to Seven and her face mirrored the dawning horror I felt. The sound we had we heard, the moaning, the howling, was not caused by any wind at all, it was the piteous cries forced from the throats of mortals cruelly forced to endure more terrible agony than could possibly be endured. Jiyyd was dying around us, as dread plague had been unleashed, yet this was no normal illness or disease. The Wasting, The Blood Rot, had come to Jiyyd. The strange, dark clouds we had watched appear must have released it on the poor town as we rested, safe on the distant hill, damning and cursing all to a death of horrible pain as their flesh wasted from their bones. Their very blood becoming clogged with tiny wriggling maggots.

My first thought was to turn back, take Seven and the children back through the west gate and out into the night, but as I turned, I saw many shambling shapes behind us. Deciding that our home was the best place to find refuge, I threw my cloak over the children, over Seven, her eyes filled with terror, she shivered, though it was humid and warm. The stench from the decaying bodies was overwhelming. I felt bile rising into my throat, and forced myself to ignore the putrid smell around us. I quickly told Seven to follow me, she only nodded and followed. We moved forward, stepping over dark mounds that no longer moved, but were quickly surrounded by those not quite dead, their unholy agony apparently driven them into madness.

Swinging my blade about in a lethal arc of steel, I shouted them to back away…yet none listened. I prayed to my Lord to protect us, cutting through their putrid flesh, mindful that I try to avoid getting it on myself. Seven was close behind, huddled over, protecting our precious children. Slowly I cut a path through them, cleaving through rotting arms, head, legs, whatever stood in my path between safety for my family. Man, woman or child, all fell when they reached my arc of steel.

Finally, as I was breathing heavily from the constant effort, gasping and gagging as I drew in deep breaths full of the putrid stink from those around us, we reached our house and the door. I started to reach for my key, keeping an eye behind us, as there were no nearby threats now. Then I heard the sound of magic up on the hill next to us, and suddenly she was there. Mel’hrus’ amber eyes were filled with an unholy light and exuded dark, evil power. Then suddenly she pointed behind me, and doubled over, laughing. Her laughter made my blood run cold, but I turned to see the source of her amusement. I looked back and saw Seven, standing with her arms flailing weakly about, her once beautiful voice rising ever higher as the unholy torture worked its way into and through her once beautiful body, her flesh beginning to rot on her bones, as her eyes stared through me at nothing, her mind already snapped.

Then I saw the final horror. Both Durai and Revanna had fallen from Seven’s grasp, landing safely on the soft earth at her feet, still covered by my cloak. Yet the cries that were coming from beneath the cloak were no normal cries of children, but the death screams of young lives suddenly thrust into agony and pain. I heard Mel’hrus’ dark laughter behind me, but I had only a single thought now. My blade would perform one last deadly arc. Into and through Seven, through our children, the symbols of our love, and end in my own breast. Muttering a final curse at the woman behind me, I moved quickly, realizing the bitch had won.

Seven shook me awake then, as she said my screams had woken both her and the children, that I had shouted curses at Mel’hrus and would not wake for some time, no matter how hard she tried. Once my mind and nerves had calmed, I began again, asking Seven to take the children far away to her parents, yet she only shook her head, remaining adamant in her refusal to consider it, despite my best efforts. I felt as if the dream was not just a dream, but perhaps a vision of what was coming…

• A PLANTING

Ten Years. The thought came unbidden while he worked, the rhythmic movements of his body as he dug into the earth deeper and deeper. He felt a light sheen of sweat under his ever-present armor, felt it rubbing against the calluses that had been worn into his shoulders and other areas from the second skin of metal he nearly always wore or kept close. His breathing was deep but unlabored; he wasn’t unaccustomed to manual labor, especially this particular task, one he had done countless times before.

As he quietly worked, digging into the hillside, thoughts came unbidden about the years he had spent in this place of constant death and violence. He had seen, experienced, and endured much in his years in this lawless land. He remembered when he first arrived in Narfell, and Norwick. He had been very young. His Lord had indeed been with him to allow him to survive the journey from where he had been raised, so many leagues away, and to still be drawing breath ten years later.

Unlike the girl who lay in apparent peaceful repose on the hill next to him, her eyes closed. She looked to be about the age he had been when he had first come to this place, but fate and the gods had not been so kind to her. She looked like she might have been beautiful in life, even if death had not been so kind to her. The bandits must have made short work of her, she had been stripped of anything she might have carried of value, she was even missing one shoe, her skin mottled and bruised. Her face though was peaceful and that’s what he concentrated on when he glanced at her while he worked, giving her the peace in death she had not found in life.

Peace could not be found in Narfell. In his years as a Paladin in this land, he had witnessed many evils, countless deaths, even many lives ended by his own hands. He tried to comfort himself with fact he only took life when left with no other choice, yet the blood still ran as red from his blade. His Lord had blessed him greatly in his years in this land, though. His service was well rewarded. He had a beautiful wife who loved him, twin children, and some prowess in combat and was strong in faith as well. Yes, he had been blessed for his work in this horrific land.

Seeing the grave was deep enough, he carefully lifted the girl’s body and gently laid her to rest in the earth, kneeled and prayed to his Lord to watch over her, asking for aid for her in the afterlife. He slowly stood, and began to cover her body with the fresh earth, working slowly and methodically, his thoughts wandering once again.

He had worked diligently to help defend this place against all enemies. But now… Now Mel’hrus Jan’h was something different. Her plans could mean the end of everything he had worked to preserve, could mean the end of much of the life of Narfell…or wherever else she used the thing she had unearthed.

He had been working with others against her, working desperately to stop her plans, yet the group had fallen away over the weeks, some left perhaps to escape the effects what Mel’hrus was about to unleash, others perhaps because they refused to think about what her evil plans could mean. Of the original group, there was…Sam and himself. The others had either left or were busy doing other things. Yet he knew he and Sam alone could not face the workings of the evil mage Mel’hrus’ insane mind. She had even enlisted the aid of his mortal enemy, Jubei.

The Paladin thought about asking his wife to take the children and leave the area, as he felt things were slipping out of control, at least they would survive him. He resolved he would speak to her about this, unsure of how she would respond, though fearing she would fight to stay.

The grave was finished, another unmarked grave on a hillside in the Nars, few would even notice the fresh earth, fewer would give a moments thought of who might be buried here. Saying a final prayer to his Lord, the Paladin picked up his shield and made his way down the hillside, his thoughts dark and brooding on what fate lay before him and Narfell. He resolved to seek out new aid in this endeavor against the evil sorceress. He could not fail. By his Lord he swore he either would end her evil plans or die in the attempt.

• Wow, no wonder Kanen seemed so tired today. I knew he was pushing too hard, I just didn't realize it was emotional and not physical. 😮

• Bloody hell Kanen, you sure have a lot goin' on in yer life.

• CHOICES III

“Where are we?”

“I am showing you another glimpse, Kanen Hightower. A glimpse of your future.”

Kanen looked around the darkened cave, the air hot and dry as the rough rock walls of the cave around him. He looked at himself and could see through his flesh at the cave behind. He looked at the strange, mysterious being next him, a creature more of shimmering light than substance.

Kanen turned to the being and started to ask a question when he heard the sound of a man running, his breath ragged from exhaustion it seemed. His eyes narrowed as he saw who the man was. Jubei. Of course Jubei couldn’t see him and ran into the cave, frantically looking about the dry cave walls for something…for an exit that was not there.

Before Jubei could attempt to backtrack from the cave, another man rushed into the room. He wore a full helm but shouted one word when he saw the trapped man, “JUBEI!” The word was said full of loathing and hate. Kanen knew this, as he recognized both the tone and the voice as his own. He was watching himself pursue Jubei, perhaps for the last time. Kanen smiled faintly seeing the frantic look of fear Jubei wore.

A near out of breath Jubei forced out, “Come…to…finish the job, Kanen?”

“I’ve had enough of this. This ends here.”, the armored man replied.

“I’ve…heard…that before. Even…even…”, the assassin coughed, watching the armored man, blade held high and ready approach slowly.

The watching, near transparent Kanen expected some trick now from Jubei, some craftiness that would quickly turn the tables on the approaching armored man, but Jubei’s next words both shocked and horrified the watching man.

“…I believe…it was…right before…you cut down…poor Seven.”

The armored man didn’t even try to deny the words saying, “She was aiding you. Helping the Evil. She could no longer be trusted.”

“Did you…did you think to listen to her?”

With a sneer the armored man replied, “She had nothing to say. Only pleas for your life.”

Jubei looked at the armored man as he now stood over him, and collapsed down to the floor of the cave, shaking his head.

“She pleaded with you to spare her life too, remember? She begged for her life…”

The armored man struck Jubei in the mouth with his armored fist, causing blood to flow freely.

“Shut up, killer.”

“Now what will you do? Kill me, and then what? After all these years of chasing me?”

“My goal will be complete. By Helm’s Will.”

Spitting blood, Jubei looked up at the man, “Helm’s Will? Don’t you mean Kanen’s Will?”

“Insolent bastard! You heathen! Your lies end now!!”

With that the man swung his sword down. And again. And again. He swung the blade until he was covered in blood, the shape beneath him hardly looked like a man anymore at all, the dry cave floor greedily sucking up the life blood of man who was known as Jubei.

Finally, panting from the effort, he stopped.

“Finally…Helm’s Will is done. It is finished.” With that, the blood soaked knight turned and left the cave without looking back, though to what, was unknown.

The being of light turned to Kanen and asked simply “What of this?”

Kanen, shaking his head, tore his eyes away from the gory remains of his mortal enemy and answered with his own question, though expecting no answer “Why would I kill Seven?”

“You heard him.” The voice replied, accused.

“Yes, I heard him.”

“Then why do you ask?”

“Nothing I heard would cause me to kill my very own wife. She is the love of my life, my partner…”

The voice replied, “Indeed…That is indeed the point. Have you already become that separated?”

“My love for Seven will always be much greater than my hatred of Jubei…this would show the opposite, it seems.”

“I saw no love here…except the love of one’s own self.” The voice stated emotionlessly.

“I have to agree…that is all I saw as well.”

“And yet we see it growing daily…seething.”, the being answered.

“I cannot believe I would allow myself to come to this.”

“Could you not?”

Shaking his head Kanen continued, “This was not Helm’s will…this was murder.”

“Very good, Paladin. Though a child could be that observant.”

Kanen returned dryly, “Well I’m glad I’m at least as observant as a child.”

“You jest as your own life slips away on the waters of simple choices.”

Kanen returned, “I would not let my lust for vengeance consume me like this…this was only murder.”

“Paladins walk a very narrow path. As thin and as dangerous as the edge of a knife.”

Kanen only nodded, and listened as the being continued to speak.

“The many have been watching and have questioned your actions. The many are concerned.”

“What many? Just who are you? What actions?”

“We are all.”

“Actions you will take…decisions you will make.”

“I have always tried to serve Lord Helm faithfully…”

“This was no illusion, Paladin…but the river of time can be altered…diverted…”

“So this that you have shown me is what might happen, based on my decisions?”

“Not what MIGHT happen, Paladin, what WILL happen. Do not mistake this for a vision. Choose wisely.”

“I pray often to Lord Helm for guidance” Kanen answered.

“Praying for guidance is not always the true thing to do. The Will of Helm is exact. You have been given many gifts, much power, Paladin of Helm. Use them. Do not always run to the breast of Helm. He dislikes weakness in his Champions.”

Kanen’s eyes hardened somewhat at those words, but forced himself to listen and accept them.

“Use what you have learned. The many will be watching you, as the Eternal Watcher watches us. Do not disappoint.”

With that Kanen found himself suddenly on the empty streets of a darkened city, looking about, he quickly realized it was Peltarch.

Then the Paladin heard a strong, rich booming voice echoing across the darkness, “I bless you, my son. Choose well.”

Murmuring quiet prayers of thanks to his Lord, Kanen realized he now understood the prayers he had been unable to understand until to now. Looking about the darkened empty streets, he quickly got his bearing and headed south, out of the city and to home. He wanted to share his news with Seven, and the walk would give him time to think hard on things he had seen and heard. The scenes he had been shown would never occur. By Helm he swore this.

• CHOICES II

The sun was shining brightly on the meadow, the wind blowing gently. A house stood nearby, apparently empty and abandoned. A small boy runs from the west into the meadow, apparently upset, his eyes wet with tears. Suddenly he stops by a large rock and throws himself down next to it, kicking at the ground. Just then, a small girl comes running into the meadow behind the boy, she looks around until she spots the boy near the rock and slowly approaches him.

“Mommy is waiting for us” , she said quietly.

“I don’t wanna leave!”, he replied defiantly.

“We have to….mommy said”

“But…but why isn’t daddy coming?”

“Durai…you remember what mommy said…He’s not nice anymore. And it’s too dangerous here.”

“But it’s not fair, Revanna!”, Durai nearly shouted, his eyes filled with tears.

“We have a new daddy now, remember?”, Revanna said in a quiet voice.

“Yeah…but it’s still not fair!”, he choked through his tears.

“Durai, mommy said we would be safer away from here.”

As the two young children were talking they didn’t notice the man who had followed them from the west. A bald man with a ponytail, dressed in red and golden armor, until he suddenly called out, “Durai! Revanna! Where are you?” Suddenly he spotted them and walked slowly over to the two children and knelt by their side.

“What’s wrong? Your mommy is waiting for us”, he said quietly, noticing Durai’s tears.

“Jubei, Durai says he doesn’t want to go…” Revanna began before her brother hit her in the arm.

“I did NOT say that!” he shouted after hitting her hard enough to make her rub her arm.

“Come now, children…what is this all about?” Jubei asked quietly.

“What about daddy?”, Durai asked in a pleading voice.

Jubei sighed then replied, looking the boy in the eyes, “Durai, you know what happened….he hurt your mother. We can’t let that happen again. And we especially can’t let that happen to you two.” Smiling at the two children, reaching for their small hands, he continued. “We both love you very much…more than anything. You know that.” The boy nodded up at the man with a slowly forming smile.

“See? Our new daddy will protect us!” Revanna said with a smile that was only a little sad, as both children hugged Jubei, nearly knocking him over as they laughed together.

All three, hand in hand, slowly walked again west, leaving the meadow and the empty house behind.

A near transparent Kanen stood unmoving, and silently seethed as he watched the nightmarish scene slowly end. He then turned to the strange being floating by his side ask asked in a barely controlled voice, “What was that?”

“Decisions, Kanen Hightower…decisions. A glimpse.” The voice whispered to him.

“My mortal enemy with my wife…and my children? You claim THIS is my future?!?” he shouted in reply.

“I claim nothing. I simply showed you. It was your decision to watch.”

“This cannot be…what could it mean? I would never hurt Seven or the children. I refuse to accept this”, he stated, controlling his breathing and his emotions.

“You leave only questions and no answers”, he accused the being.

“Another glimpse, Kanen Hightower?” the voice asked without emotion.

Getting himself under control he looked hard at the being and forced himself to reply in a calm voice. “Very well. Show me what you will.”

With that, the ghostly pair vanished once again.

• edit: how'd that end up there?!

• CHOICES I

The rough-hewn cave was dark and damp, somewhere water could be heard dripping. Suddenly a tearful, frightened young girl comes running from the west, sobbing, her breath coming in ragged gasps from pushing her little body so hard. She looked frantically about in the darkness, “m…mommy? Where is mommy?” she pleaded to the darkness, yet the only answer was heavy, armored footsteps also coming from the west. A man came into view, wearing dark armor with a full helm that hid his features from view, he moved slowly, confident in his movements, hardly breathing hard at all.

The small girl screamed in terror as she saw the man, but realized she was trapped; the only exit was one the armored figure was blocking. “I want mommy!!” she cried to the uncaring cave walls. In a deep grating voice the armored figure spoke “Oh… mommy is quite dead.” The girl looked up to the man, face contorted in fear and anger and shouted, “Liar! Mommy is strong! Mommy can save me!” The man continued in his grating voice, “Mommy… is very cold and dead…little one…just like… your brother…” The small girl glared up at the man now and screamed, “You lie! Durai is not dead…I saw him!”

The man continued speaking, even as he slowly drew his sword and continued, “Oh, my dear Revanna, he is… very dead…and now…you join him!” With that the man brought his sword down at the small girl, killing her in a single strike, her screams ending abruptly. He searched her broken young body quickly, finding only a single item. “Lovely. Just a stupid prayer book…” he tossed the book aside and slowly made his way from the chamber leaving the body as it lay, blood slowly pooling and spreading around her.

His voice choked with emotion a near transparent Kanen looked on ‘This cannot be! And where was I during this?!?” He called out, tears falling from his face. A voice that was somehow both loud and yet quiet, both booming and whispering replied near his ear. “The future…your dear daughter perished. Your wife and son with her.” Kanen replied in a raw voice “NO!!!” The voice continued, as though he had not spoken. “And where are you? Why are you not here protecting your daughter, and your wife and son? Questions, questions…Choices to be made, Kanen Hightower. Hard choices. To follow one’s heart…or to follow one’s god.” Answering in defiance, shaking his head, Kanen slowly regained control of his emotions and replied “No. One can do both.” The voice continued without emotion “Remember this scene, Paladin. Remember it well.” The world changed around him and suddenly he was standing by the grave of Faramir Otarch, back in Jiyyd once more. Kanen looked at the grave of the Paladin and thought on the message being given.

Kanen had seen the poor boy Liam killed before his very eyes as the lich had been brought back into the world. His mortal enemy Jubei had left him at death’s door when he had relied too much on a Holy sword instead of his skills and sound tactics. The Paladin had even left his wife and children for a short time, though quickly realized that error and returned a few days later. He had been duped by the elven sorceress Mel’hrus Jan’h to recover an object of evil and turn it over to what he thought was a fellow Paladin, but instead only a corrupt man who had once been a Paladin. His thoughts had been, for the first time, tinged with slight doubt. Why had his Lord Helm allowed him to recover the Holy sword, only to have the young boy Liam killed because of it? Why wouldn’t He give an answer to his fevered prayers on this subject? Kanen felt as though he stood on a razor’s edge.

Due to his rigorous physical training the knight knew he was getting physically stronger. He could run longer, carry more…but it was more than that. He felt on the verge of understanding prayers that few Paladins even at his former home, Helm’s Hold, had been able to comprehend and utilize…yet he also felt on the edge of falling. Falling from grace, on the edge of losing his faith in the wisdom of his Lord. The doubt was small now, a mere nagging, but he knew it must be dealt with quickly and soon or it would only grow.

That’s what this was about. Kanen had been standing in Jiyyd, talking with Hugh, when suddenly…there was a presence. A wispy presence that spoke his name and suddenly he was…somewhere else. On a vast, red hued field. It then asked him if he had thought of the future. The presence seemed to talk to itself, as though it was actually more than one entity. It said that he relied on physical strength too much. That he did not see what was even before his own eyes. It said it would show him though, and show him now. The presence told Kanen he would be shown the future, but that he would be unable to do anything, only watch and observe as he was as mist there. So the horrific scene of his daughter’s death had played out…

Suddenly, cutting through his musing thoughts he heard a man’s scream from the west “HEEELLP!!!” Quickly the knight ran towards the sound of the screams and found a man hanging off the cliff that jutted out over the rocks some twenty or thirty feet below. Moving quickly, Kanen ran to the edge of the cliff and grabbed the man firmly around the wrist. The man looked up, with pleading eyes and responded in a voice that was both grating and deep “Please…help me…” Kanen paused for a second, frowning down at the man, the voice seeming very similar to the voice from the cave. “I’m…slipping!” the man cried in desperation.

Shaking his head, closing his eyes, Kanen pulled firmly and with all his might to bring the man back safely from the cliff’s edge. Slowly, but surely the man was pulled to safety. “Oh…thank the gods…” the man breathed in his deep grating voice, as he brushed himself off. Kanen looked at the man, piercing him with his gaze, attempting to sense evil in the man’s heart but found none. With a smile, the man looked up. “I’m John Donnerville. You are Kanen…I know you well” he spoke with a wide smile. “How are the kids?” John asked, tilting his head slightly. Kanen forced a smile on his face and forced himself to reply evenly “My children? They are fine…” John looked at Kanen with a grin and added in a friendly manner “I saw Seven just the other day…she is looking more beautiful every time I see her. You are quite a lucky man.”

His eyes narrowed only slightly Kanen forced himself to reply amiably “Yes. I am a blessed man. In many ways.” John slapped the Paladin on the shoulder, chuckling a bit. Folding his arms, tilting his head slightly Kanen now asked “John, what is it you do?” The man replied nonchalantly “Oh, this and that. Listen, let me give you some gold for this…you saved my life!” Shaking his head, Kanen refused, though with a forced smile still on his face. John shrugged his shoulders and said “Fair enough…Well…I’ll just be on my way." Kanen watched as the man walked past him, however the man suddenly added in his deep raspy voice “Oh, listen! You should make sure your doors are locked. There’s a few crazies running around Jiyyd.” Kanen turned quickly, only to see the man’s back as he walked slowly away. “…Alright…” was all Kanen replied.

Turning back to the cliff, Kanen spoke quietly to himself. “I had to save him…” Suddenly the presence was there. “Why?” it asked. Looking directly at it, the Paladin responded in a strong voice “Because I am sworn to protect and defend the innocent.”

“Are your children not innocent? Is your wife not innocent?” the voice now asked. Again the knight replied, “I have no proof that man has done…or will do…anything…he was not Evil.” The voice quickly responded, “But you saw his actions.” Nodding, Kanen answered, “Of course I did…but I don’t even know for sure that was the same man. I never saw his face.” The voice spoke again “So. You base your decision on ignorance then?”

Eyes narrowing Kanen answered in a firm voice “No. I base my decision on a man who needed my aid. I gave it as I would to anyone, unless I knew they were of Evil.” His face paling, Kanen now added, “Wait! That doesn’t meant that he will…it doesn’t mean what I saw will come true does it?” The voice simply replied, “It is the future I show you, dear Kanen…it is about your existence. About your life…and your decisions. You could have slipped…” Shaking his head Kanen responded, “No. I am a Paladin. He had committed no crime…perhaps my saving him will change what I saw…perhaps this was the day he changed for the better.”

“Is it worth risking the life of your children?” In answer, Kanen simply stated, “Life is risk. Having children in this dangerous place is a daily risk. Perhaps if I had let him fall, he would survived and then decided to kill Seven and the children. I stand by my decision.” The voice added ‘Hmm…speculation, a wonderful tool. Very well. Your choice is made. We are far from finished yet, Paladin.”

With that statement there was a sudden flash of light then both the Paladin and the wispy presence were gone, leaving only the quiet cliff side, the wind gently blowing the grasses in the sudden silence.

• FIRST BLOOD

The air was still in the Nars, a hot, humid day with the sun shining down brightly. Kanen felt the heat as he sweated lightly in his armor, heading south along the dusty dirt road. As he approached Sam’s Hill, the knight saw Sam talking to someone. The person was turned around with his back to Kanen, but the Paladin looked at the red and golden armor in growing recognition as he drew nearer to Sam and the bald man with a pony tail wearing red and gold armor that Sam was talking to.

“Dere he is now. Mr. Kanen, this feller here’s asking fer yuh”, Sam said with a smile as Kanen approached.

“There he is indeed” the bald man replied, turning slowing, seemingly without care.

As the man turned, Kanen looked into the cold dark eyes of the killer who had been haunting him these months and years, it was the assassin Jubei back to plague him once more.

Jubei turned and regarded Kanen emotionlessly, saying, “It seems you’ve upgraded your weaponry. Anticipating a confrontation?”

Eyes narrowed, through gritted teeth Kanen forced out a single question in a quiet, cold voice, “Tell me Jubei…tell me why I should not cut you down right now?” Kanen still had his two handed sword resting on his shoulder, yet Jubei had made no move to his own weapons.

Sam’s eyes grew wide as he sensed and heard the fury in Kanen’s voice and drifted his hands to his twin bastard swords, slowly moving behind Jubei. He was surprised by this turn, but ready to support Kanen in any way he could, as always. They were in the Nars. And there was no law in the Nars to trouble either of them.

Kanen continued in a voice of cold fury “You have threatened my life, the life of my wife and have said you will take my children from me. You have sent your creatures of shadow to attack and torment us. Why should I not cut you down now?”

Jubei returned Kanen’s stare for some moments, still making no move toward his weapons. Finally, Jubei replied, “The children are mine.” And suddenly he faded from view.

Kanen spun about, looking in all directions as Sam did the same. Suddenly creatures of shadow beset them both, Jubei’s favorite minions it seemed. Singly, the creatures were no match for either warrior, but a small swarm of the creatures attacked them. Their claws icy when they seemed to reach through armor to the flesh beneath directly. The battle was soon over, with Sam and Kanen fighting back to back, until there were no more shadow attackers.

Kanen swung his sword about, yelling for Jubei to come back and face him, calling Jubei a base coward who would not fight for himself. Then he appeared. Though mostly transparent, the assassin appeared before Kanen, with his katana and kukri drawn, motioning the knight forward.

Kanen and Sam both charged the assassin. Kanen swung wildly at Jubei’s head with the Holy greatsword, which Jubei easily ducked beneath, as he tripped Sam, sending him sprawling to the ground. With a shout of near uncontrolled fury, Kanen swung overhead and down at Jubei, attempting to split him in two. Jubei, moving calmly and efficiently, blocked the greatsword with his knife and sliced Kanen across the middle, though not deeply.

Sam stood back up, behind Jubei and attempted to stab both blades into the fast moving assassin, yet Jubei seemed to sense this and evaded both attacks, again sending an over balanced Sam sprawling. Kanen seemed to not feel the wound he had received and swung the greatsword diagonally at the killer, who moved to block the sword again with his knife, but the Paladin changed the swing at the last moment, got beneath Jubei’s guard and cut deeply into his side. Jubei winced only slightly as the blood began to pour down from the open wound, that was both deep wide, focusing his concentration into his next attack.

As Kanen began swinging the sword upwards, attempting to take advantage of the previous strike, Jubei stepped forward, blocking the greatsword again with his knife, quickly dropped it, and then with both hands brought his razor sharp katana down on the Paladin, cutting through his armored shoulder, deeply into his chest, and down into his belly with a single precise stroke. Blood began to pour from the gaping wound, Kanen’s sword dropped from lifeless fingers, as his sight grew dark, seeing the pale though emotionless face of Jubei before sprawling to the ground heavily. Jubei looked about and quickly retrieved his knife, bleeding heavily himself, and looked at Sam who was again charging forward like an armored rhino and at others who were coming from the south.

“You seem to have friends.”, was Jubei’s last comment to the bloody form lying at his feet as he turned and fled north, quickly disappearing from view. Sam dropped his swords and ran to the side of Kanen, frantically trying to staunch the blood flow from the mortal chest wound with what healing skill he had. Whether by act of god, or the simple skill he possessed, Sam was finally able to slow the blood leaking from Kanen’s pale form, long enough for a cleric who had come from the south, was able to force life back into the knight’s torn and bloody body.

Some time later, finally able to sit up though breathing very hard, Kanen looked about at the people standing around him, but only saw Sam, who had saved his life with his healing herbs and skill. Though in great pain and exhausted, he made himself think about how Jubei had gotten him to become angry and attack wildly instead of with caution. A mistake the Paladin vowed he would not make again. Jubei had won the first round, but Kanen knew it was far from over and next time he would not make the same mistake. He would die, if needed, to save Seven and the children from Jubei’s grasp. He would stay ready and prepared for the assassin’s next attack, when and wherever it may occur. He prayed quietly to Helm to protect his family from this assassin to be allowed to bring this killer to justice or to end the assassin's existence once and for all, as life slowly returned to his body.

• O_O …you have outdone yourself, its like reading a book...i literally almost printed it out and stapled it together so i could read it when i got off the computer!

• That was an awesome quest, Kanen. One of the longest and best Ive been on. Masterfully retold!

Damn I wish Sam could have gotten ahold of that armor!

• FANGED JUSTICE (Part III)

Sam and Kanen left the blood-soaked inn and made their way to the blacksmith. There, Kanen asked the smith about Set, and what he had sold to him. The smith replied that Set had sold him several suits of very fine armor, and a sword that few would want, though finely wrought. When questioned, the smith revealed that an elf had purchased one particular suit of armor, and the unusual sword. When asked further, he revealed the buyer was a tall elf mage, wearing dark clothing named Master Dori’h. The blacksmith did not know where to find the mage, but mentioned that the wizard’s apprentice, Mel’hrus Jan’h, could often be found in the Peltarch library. Thanking the smith, who scowled when he realized he wasn’t going to make a sale from them, the armored pair left the smithy and made their way to the library.

The library was dark and musty, filled with ancient books and scrolls, some on matters mundane, others arcane. As Kanen entered the chamber, he scanned about for any woman who might look like a mage’s apprentice, an elf most likely from her name. Spotting a woman wearing a red and black robe, Kanen approached her somewhat cautiously, his distrust of mages strong, while Sam stood by the door. As he walked up to her, she looked up, seeming to almost look through him, with a slight smirk.

Kanen introduced himself and said that he was looking for her master. He bluntly explained that her master had a sword that he needed to return to its rightful owner. She knew more, however. She spoke of the evil talisman that he had found purposefully hidden in the suit of armor that he had bought along with the sword. She spoke of how the thing had started to control him, consume him, and wanted Kanen to free her master from its control. When asked where he currently was, she revealed he was in the town of Jiyyd, in the swamps to the south, apparently searching for something. Thanking the woman, Kanen and Sam left the library and Peltarch.

Following an uneventful back to Jiyyd, Kanen and Sam entered the swamp. Though it was midday, the swamp was dark and forbidding. The normal buzz of insect life was strangely silent, though neither Kanen or Sam noticed at first. Then they heard it. They heard a strange low-pitched rumbling sound. Kanen realized it was the growl of some beast just as it attacked. A fierce gigantic tiger was charging, at blurring speed. Kanen yelled to Sam and they met the beast, fighting back and forth across the swamp. The cat’s claw’s dug deep furrows in both of their shields, as they attempted to keep the beast off balance, striking when an opening presented itself. Just as Sam was able to thrust his sword into the beast, giving it a fatal wound, they heard more growls from the swamp, and the next fearsome tiger attacked.

The next minutes were a blur to Kanen; they slowly fought their way to the cave deep in the swamp. They left a trail of blood, some their own, though mostly of the giant cats, the bodies of the great feline beasts strung along the way. They both looked wildly about, trying to see an all directions, as the beasts would come running at them with blurring speed and quickness. Both men were weary and quite worn by the time they reached the cave, drinking magical potions of healing like water to close the terrible wounds the great cats were able to inflict with a flick of their massive paws.

Once inside the cave, a few more tigers attacked them, then there was silence. Exploring the cave, listening carefully, Kanen heard someone speaking an in incantation of some kind nearby. Following the sound, he and Sam saw a tall elf in dark clothing casting various destructive spells at an object against the far wall. Looking closely, Kanen realized it was a sword. Shouting for the man to stop, Kanen approached the elf warily. The Paladin noticed that the elf, apparently Master Dori’h, had some sort of medallion or object, tucked into his shirt.

Walking up to the elf, Kanen stated that they would be taking the sword back to its rightful master, but wanted no trouble with the elf. Laughing darkly, the elf sneered and replied that he no longer cared about the sword, gripping the object he wore about his neck. Before Kanen could attempt to move closer, or remove the object from around the elf’s neck…he suddenly vanished and was gone. Running up to the sword, lifting it, Kanen was astounded by the fineness of the blade, the perfect balancing and sharp edge. Then the rumbling began as rocks began to fall from the ceiling of the cave. With a shout to Sam to quickly follow, Kanen ran from the cave quickly, dodging most of the rocks that fell from the ceiling, returning outside to the fetid swamp.

As they made their way out of the swamp, walking slowly and painfully, both bloody and weary, having used all of their healing that they had on them, Kanen turned at Sam’s sudden shout and saw a tiger larger even than the ones before standing on Sam’s back, pinning him there. With a cry to Helm, he drew his sword again and attacked, drawing the beast away from Sam, who slowly stood and then attacked the beast as well.

Both men knew they had little choice but to find a way to kill this beast, bloody and weary or not, as they could not outrun it. Blood poured from deep bloody furrows on both men and beast, armor rent and torn, locked into a death struggle where there could only be one end result. Either both men dead or the beast slain. The monstrous cat was covered in sword slashes and deep punctures where it had been stabbed and slashed over and over by their bright sharp blades, but the beast refused to die, it’s remaining eye glowing with bloodlust and hatred.

It seemed to happen very slowly to the Paladin. He was charging forward, trying to knock the beast from it’s feet, distracting it from Sam, whose terrible wounds and shredded armor matched his own, when the beast reached out with a great paw and pulled Kanen’s shield from his grasp. With a roar, the beast lunged forward and bit deeply into his thigh, causing him to drop to the ground from the sudden blood loss, the world growing dim. Sam shouted at the beast and stabbed deeply into it, causing the great cat to turn and strike him across the head, leaving a bloody furrow across his face, knocking him to the ground, bleeding his life’s blood out as well.

The cat roared in victory and moved to bite into Sam, but then suddenly froze, its eye glazed over in death. The great beast finally fell to the ground heavily, pinning Sam’s near lifeless body beneath it. Sir Mirit withdrew his axe, looking at the horrific, tattered mess the two warriors had become in their death struggle with the giant feline. He began muttering prayers over each, trying to keep them alive, and begin the healing. The strain on the Paladin was obviously very great, as he seemed to weaken as both men slowly regained life in their bodies and their terrible wounds began to slowly close and heal.

Looking about, Kanen and Sam saw that the other still lived and were glad. However, Sir Mirit seemed very pale and haggard from the effort required to bring them back from the edge of death. Once both had rested some, life returning to limbs with wounds nearly healed, Kanen reached into his pack and withdrew the sword he been sent to find to Sir Mirit. The dwarven Paladin was obviously very happy to have the sword returned indeed, though saddened and worried that the talisman had not been recovered as well.

Kanen returned to Sir Mirit the wondrous armor that the Fallen Paladin Set had worn, along with the shards of the sword Set must have used while he was a Paladin. Looking from the shards to Kanen, Sir Mirit asked him to meet him the next dawn at the forges in Jiyyd, as he would need his help with something. Kanen agreed and all three made their way back into Jiiyd, to their homes and much needed rest and time for recovery. Kanen was asleep as soon as his head touched his pillow, next to Seven who had apparently turned in early, though it was already night outside. Kanen’s last thought was that they had been fighting in the swamp most of the entire day, before darkness took him.

The next morning, though, he rose early, the sky still dark though tinged with light from the coming dawn and made his way to the town smithy. He found a pale and haggard looking Sir Mirit inside, who had stoked the fires of a forge very high, and added some strange gems to the fire, making it even higher and hotter than it was before. Sir Mirt told Kanen that he would be helping him forge a sword. He gave him explicit instructions on what items to add and when, and told the man to have a hammer ready as he would be assisting in the beating of the metal to forge a new weapon.

The process continued for hours. Sir Mirit used the adamantine ore, more strange glowing gems, and the shards of Set’s former sword and smelted them together in the fiery forge. Again and again, he would withdraw the glowing metal and he and Kanen would take turns pounding the metal, over and over until Kanen’s freshly healed back and arms ached from the effort, blinking sweat from his eyes from the intense heat of the forge.

Finally, the dwarf told the Paladin that the main work was done, and that he would come meet him at his house sometime later. Kanen left the smithy and stopped by the stream, dousing his head into the cool water, overheated from the effort required at the forge, then made his way back home to wait, praying to Helm in thanks that they had been victorious.

Sometime later, Sir Mirit came again to his house, saying he had a gift for Kanen for his work in returning the sword. Without a further word, he drew a blade from his pack. The sword was bright and Kanen had never seen a sharper edge. It also had several wicked serrations and barbs along the hilt and blade, which would obviously rip into any wound the blade had caused. The blade had a name engraved on it, “Fanged Justice”. Though Kanen at first protested that he could not keep such a wondrous gift, Sir Mirit said he insisted, as it may be his final work, that he would no longer be forging weapons and that his time was soon to be at an end, he felt.

With some sadness, Kanen accepted the sword, thanking the dwarven Paladin once more, saying he would use the blade in his honor. After saying their final farewells, Sir Mirit left and Kanen spent some hours practicing with the sword with it’s wicked edge, as it would take some practice and skill to use properly without injuring himself. Looking up at the sky, he realized it was dark again, he had been training with the sword all day. Shaking his head, he walked back to his house and inside where Seven had just finished preparing a meal and found he was suddenly ravenous. The remainder of the evening was spent with his wife and children peacefully, allowing him time for some much needed rest.

• FANGED JUSTICE (Part II)

Sam and Kanen left Norwick and first traveled back to Jiyyd to see Sir Mirit. There, Kanen told the dwarven Paladin about the encounter with Vorta and of Set’s apparent treachery. Kanen also turned over the adamantine ore rock to Sir Mirit. Before they left however, the dwarf had further news for them, news most grave. It seems the sword was not the only thing in the caravan that needed to be recovered, if at all possible. Sir Mirit spoke alone to Kanen about an object of great evil, a talisman imbued with evil power. It apparently was hidden in one of the suits of magical armor in the caravan. They had been taking it to a place where the object could be destroyed, and must now not be allowed to fall into evil hands. Kanen told Sir Mirit he would do his best to recover both items.

With that, Kanen and Sam left Jiiyd and headed to Peltarch, having an uneventful trip to the port city. When they arrived at the southwest gate, Kanen asked the guard if he had seen a man matching Set’s description enter the gate recently, but the guard was unsure and also new to the position. At the common’s they had slightly better luck. The dour and taciturn Konstantin, who was oft found sitting in the commons, mentioned that a man matching a similar description, though wearing very finely crafted dark armor, came to the commons from time to time.

Just then, a man came from the east into the commons and sat, bleeding slightly from a wound. The man matched the description of Set that Kanen had, and was wearing extremely fine crafted armor that was darkened. Kanen confronted the man, asking if he had a special blade recovered from a caravan for sale or trade. The man looked at the Paladin evenly, and said he did not have it with him, but that they could meet in a warehouse by the docks later, and then they could discuss it. The man then gathered his things and walked off, however Kanen noticed something metallic glinting from something in the man’s backpack.

Sam and Kanen walked about for a while, slowly making their way to the docks, the smell of fresh fish in the air, to the warehouse. Deciding enough time had passed, Kanen and Sam entered the dilapidated, time-worn building, and stepped into darkness. Peering about, it seemed dusty and empty as the two searched about, then the sound of the door opening then quickly closing was heard. The light was dim, but Kanen’s armor shone with a magical light allowing them to see the dozen or so men dressed in Blood Spider colors, who were standing with weapons drawn, blocking any attempt at exit.

Looking about, Kanen attempted to speak to the men, asking where Set was, the only reply he received was their sudden rush at him and Sam. The fight was short though vicious. Obviously, these Blood Spiders had little skill against two trained warriors. A few minutes later, Sam was wiping his blades on the cloaks of the dead and Kanen murmured a quick prayer that they might know peace in death.

As Kanen was about to exit the warehouse, he noticed a small form hiding in the shadows. Drawing his sword again, Kanen called for the person to come out. A young girl emerged, cautiously but with a smile saying that she was no friend of the Blood Spiders and started going through the pockets of the dead at the same time as she introduced herself as Leti. Taking a gamble, Kanen asked the street-wise girl if she had seen a man named Set, and described him for her.

With a sly grin she replied she had, and knew where he stayed, but that the information would cost. Scowling slightly, but realizing he had little choice, they agreed on a price of five hundred gold now, five hundred more later, if the information proved worthwhile. Handing her the gold, the three left the warehouse and made their way to the Pissing Goat, where Leti said that the man with the description of Set was staying…along with the Blood Spiders who apparently had made the Goat a base of theirs.

Kanen and Sam entered cautiously, hands near sword hilts, and walked about the great room of the Goat, which was strangely nearly empty of customers. Looking about, they noticed men dressed in Blood Spider colors slowly surround them with drawn swords and readied throwing knives. The Paladin attempted to diffuse the situation, saying they only wished to speak with Set and that there was no need for further bloodshed.

With a shout, the Blood Spiders attacked. Kanen drew his sword quickly and knocked down the first to rush him, stabbing into the man behind. With a roar Sam drew his twin blades and cut into them, causing blood and limbs to go flying. Dodging a thrown dagger, Kanen took a boot to the chin; Sam felt the bite of a dagger as it stuck into his thigh. For some time the battle raged, Kanen and Sam slowly dropping opponent after opponent, however becoming more bruised and bloody, their footing becoming unsure on the blood soaked wooden floor. Growing weary, they fought back to back. Parrying and blocking attack after attack, counter attacking when an opening presented itself, until finally…the room was silent, with the two standing alone amidst the bodies.

Shaking a bit, Kanen reached for and drank healing potion after healing potion, dropping the empty bottles on the floor; Sam did the same. Finally, somewhat rejuvenated, the two looked about the room, just as a man approached, stepping over the bodies as if they didn’t exist. It was the man from the commons wearing the dark finely crafted armor, it was Set. The man smiled a humorless smile and approached, telling them they would die now. Wearily, Kanen drew his sword again, and Sam drew his twin blades. Set drew two axes and feinted a swing at Sam and then drove at Kanen.

Kanen wasn’t sure if he could have defeated the man alone or not, but with Sam there, the man was soon overmatched, lying in a pool of his own blood, having never said another word. Kanen searched the man’s belongings, stripping the finely crafted armor from the warrior, which Sam eyed enviously, and looked into his backpack. There he found two things. A broken sword, now in shards, yet an inscription could still be read: “Sir Mandorian Set – High Paladin of the Fourth Order”. Sighing sadly at another Fallen brother, he continued to search the pack and found a note listing the blacksmith of Peltarch as having bought some things. The next step would be to find this blacksmith and question him about what he may have bought, and to convince him to return the sword, and hopefully the armor the evil talisman was hidden in. Reaching down, he closed the eyes of the former Paladin, saying a quick prayer over the Fallen one, then he and Sam left the Goat, in search of the blacksmith.