Told from the Rant Stand

• Elidur Ginen takes the platform. He looks out over the marketplace with his hands braced upon the podium, and with a bitter sigh he begs the ear of the 'people'.

"Good citizens of Peltarch! Good citizens I would have your attention, please!"

He looks around some-more, and releases his hands from the podium. He clears his throat and continues.

"People of Peltarch, I will not tire and bore you with old news of corruption or the terrible deeds of racist men - for such tidings are heard often enough without me echoing them. But I feel you all must know about the state of the Defenders, and the Magistrates who already hold seats!"

His gaze falls over the crowd, Elidur frowns and shakes his head to them - gesturing with a clenched fist and a raised voice.

"We have lost our freedom, people of Peltarch. This in which we live is no longer a democracy, what democracy is written on the back of a coin? What democracy can lead us to better days when delivered with a mailed fist?! We have 'all' known that corruption is rife in the current Senate, but would you have suspected the 'good' Shannon?"

The angry Elf waits for a pause, leaning back from the podium as though himself surprised, he gives a moment for people to gather their own opinions - then ushers a silence with calming hand gestures.

"Yes, I'm afraid so. This is what's become of our trusted Senate so far. Our faith has been abused and twisted by men who would tell you that they are good. Good! Hah! This 'Magistrate' bends the laws as he sees fit, he would see his friend kill a man - and I do not lie when I say kill a man - and say that it was in all fairness! Now, you all might be wondering the point of this story, and how I know all of this. Well I'll tell you, I was the man he left to the dogs!"

He thuds a heavy fist on the podium, pointing outwards with his free hand.

"_Aelthas, Acting General - Yadda-Yadda-Yadda - Defenders. That's how he introduced himself after threatening to break near-enough every bone in my body, over matters that didn't concern him. In broad daylight, in your very own commons - some of you may have even watched it happen, and it was not a quick thing. His threats continued for hours, for days. He would leave, and come back just to goad me.

Is that the man you want in your Defenders? Are not the Defenders a group of Peltarch solders who are sworn to defend the citzenary? And all this from 'Acting General'?! He delared himself several times over as being 'above the law'! Did you not hear me? He says he, a Peltarch Defender is above - the - law! What audacity!

How can we vote for Kaster, although certainly a good man, a true man, a strong man, a bald man; How can we vote for Kaster if he allows such lawless animals in his fine Defenders? I know I'll think twice before dropping my ticket in his box. And mark my words, at the end of this most of you may well feel the same!

Meanwhile, Shannon - the Magistrate, you probably know him - is defending these threats, is defending Aelthas' advances and would not hear my pleas for justice! Sickening!!_"

Once again he shakes his head, he steps from the podium and paces the front of the stage

"_Aye, people. My friends and fellows. Sickening is what it is. My friend tossed a medal, granted to her for aiding in the defense of the city, into the dirt. That's how sick she got from the display of these two men.

I too bear such a medal, and I am proud to have fought for our city. I would do it all over again if the need was there. And this is how I am repaid? A veteran, taken outside the city walls and beaten where the law cannot intervene? Mark well upon my face, my friends. Because when you see them dragging me off to some cell for speaking up, or taking me 'away' one last time - you will know it was because I, Elidur Ginen, an author with a good heart and talent for entertainment, stood up for the people and their liberty._"

Elidur stands on the edge of the stage, his hands on his hips looking out at the marketplace.

"_My final words on it now, and then you can all go back to your business of being oppressed and forced into servile existance - or you can stand with me and free our government from corruption.

Martial Law is supposed to have ended by now, their actions is unjust and unfair. It is cruel bullying of anyone with the mind to speak out against oppression!_"

He throws his fist in the air and begins to chant in protest!

"Shannon must go, Aelthas must go! Re-vo-lution, re-vo-lution! Shannon must go, Aelthas must go! Re-vo-lution! Re-vo-lution! Corruption must go, Shannon must go!"

Tossing his fist in the air as he continues chanting, and then finally removes himself from the stage. He walks triumphantly back to the Commons, repeating key phrases of what he said as he passes through the crowd.

• ::Smiles merrily at John, laughing at his commentary. She claps when he finishes.::

My dear Mister Isle, if that is the worst of me than I fear the city would not be unwise in selecting me. I have lived in these land longer than you yourself have been alive. I will endur yes that is true. I am, however, much more accustomed to fast decisions for having lived here so long. I also have a reason to wish to see the city prosper for many years. I am likewise able to take a page from the book of Former Senator Eowiel and retire as and when that seems the thing to do. I enjoy life too much to wish to remain a public servant forever. One or two human generations should be more than sufficient to make this city the prosperous jewel it should be.

::She grins impishly at him and blows him a kiss::

• The jolly pirate wobble to the rant stand again:

_Arr, time t' talk about Rilia!

First things first - she's got a pretty head on 'er, fine legs, an' a charmin' rack. If we were t' vote fer miss Peltarch, ah might 's well choose 'er.

We ain't though, we be lookin' fer someone t' represent th' city. Th obvious flaw ah'd see on this candidate be her race. BEFORE YE SAY ANYTHIN' - nae, nothin' wrong wi' elves.. except that they live too bloody long fer human cities.

Ah am worried that Rilia won't change fast enough t' deal wi' th' situations 'n everchanging human city will pose. An' even if she does.. well, there's th' other big problem. Say that she ain't what she promises. Say she doesn't deliver 't. Ye have chosen 'n senator that'll reign yer grandgrandgrandgrandgrandchildren - that is, if th' city is e'en standin' at that point.

Rilia Dedralle, pretty elf.

Oh..

Men o' Peltarch. Be like me, don't let th' simple temptation o' beauty drive ye t' votin' 'er.

Women o' Peltarch. Prove me wrong, tempt me 'n see if ye c'n crack m'shell!_ John walks off to the crowd, to see if he's getting any offers from pretty wenches.

• Calen can be seen watching Adrian a smile on his face he applauds and then slips onto the crowd so they can give drian his due

• _Adrian watches the announcement with an amused smile, quickly taking the stand afterwards.
    "Good people. Do not be deceived or swayed by the rantings of this drunkard, who does nothing but whine and complain, but cannot bring himself to the effort to actually -change- anything.

It is true that I do not nearly have the funds available that most of the other candidates have. But I believe that this city's people will not simply be bought by one-time gifts and empty promises. Do not let the sword; the cloak and this armor deceive you, they are not tokens of my gold reserves, but items of historic value, earned in the field and by the generosity of others. I will gladly tell the tale of how I came by these items to you all, should you wish to hear."

He pauses a moment, taking a breath before continuing.

"Does a person's wealth determine their wisdom? Their capacity to engage in the politics that comes with the Senate? Their ability and will to give their utmost for the city?

No! One's true worth is not the coin in their coffers, but the strength of their soul. I choose not to with blind you with illusions. Has any one Senator that hosts lavish, free feasts during his campaign continued to feed you for free after their election? Given you free clothes and entertainment?

No! I will not promise what I cannot deliver. I will not dangle such indulgences before your noses, only to snatch them away when they have bought your votes. I build my campaign on truth and worth."_

• Tonight, John doesn't seem drunk. Nor having hangover. He is, infact, suspiciously normal!

_Arr, time fer th' next candidate t' be smear-.. t' have 'is flaws revealed! It's a gnome e'eryone knows! Ludo Lightswell!! … ::waits for the ... cheers.. hand behind ear so he can hear them louder::

Oh, I see. Well, Ludo. His flaws. He be gnome. As we all know, gnomes tend t' be generally annoyin' lot. They make inventions that blow up, eat pie, an' blabber about nonsense. Ah'm sure some enjoy this, but really, ye want a person like that t' represent ye diplomatically?

On top o' that, Ludo's got these 'ere delusions o' being a famous fella. Keeps yapperin' t' "Steer clear, nae autographs", an shite.. Who cares about Ludo?

Well, Ludo cares. An' Ludo cares. Infact, he cares so much about himself, he won't have time fer yer concerns. He jus' wants a posh title.

Ludo Lightswell, miniature Rath Ashald._

John plops a berry in his mouth, and says to the crowd:

_By th' way. Incase ye be interested in Adrian's campaign.. ain't goin' too well. He's all outta coin, an' can't be arsed t' move 'is legs t' earn any. See, he's figured he won't get enough votes anywho.

If ye've planned t' vote fer Adrian, don't. Pick someone else, th' one ye like next best. 'cause otherwise yer votes jus' be wasted, as 'e won't get elected.

That's all fer t'day! Eat, sleep, an' fark! Fill Peltarch wi' new kiddo's m'friends! Let th' city prosper! Woo, babies!_

John skips off to the crowd to see if there's any pretty ladies interested in such proposal.

• John finishes a bottle of ale and climbs up to the rant stand:

_Arr, t'day I'll talk t' ye about our wee gardener, Marty.

Most o' ye might know Marty from, uh.. Gardenin'! And gardenin'. And bein' bigboned. ::grins a bit, continuing:: Now, her flaws… she's got a foul temper at times. Y'step on "her grass", an' ye will know o' it. Aggressive bursts like that don' go well wi' politics always.

Also, if'n ye give 'er enough booze, th' temper might sprout up agin. Real rude jokes, some might say, tho' ah personally like em. ::makes a hip thrust motion::

Some might add t' 'er flaws th' fact that she tends to like all kinds o' people. I don' see that as a fault m'self.

Speakin' o' all kinds o' people, hins will o'course be slightly favored by this candidate too, what wi' them bein' superior an' all.

Overall though, ah'd consider her t' have less bad flaws than th' candidates before.

Marty, neutral choice._

John takes up a bottle, a sip, and turns at the commoners:

_And don' ye lot dare t' leave anywhere jus' yet! See, got some new information on Parsley. Not only has 'is plan fer movin' Silver Valley residents 'ere fer th' voting been confirmed, but also ah've heard that 'e telepathically violated some lass to th' point o' tears. Gotta love it when th' candidates get in yer head ey?

Oh, by th' way. Parsley sorta be a citizen o' Silver Valley too. He be in th' council o' yon hintown, which really puts 'is commitment t' Peltarch highly 'n doubt. Just so ye know, arr!_

John gives an overtly elaborate bow, tipping his pirate hat before standing down from the rant stand.

• Ronan, hearing the rant, just smirks a little. He does not protest the rant or the flaws presented, just seeming amused by the whole thing.

• Next week, he arrives at the stand again.

_Today, I tell ye about a man wi' an ego larger 'n Narfell.

Arr, 's Ronan! Th' lad is capable mage, maybe. But y'seen how he sneers down 'is nose at th' common folk? 's like "I have this 'ere power, ye don't, neener neener!"

Normally I don' hold that against a politician. They be, afterall, rather full o' themselves. however, in Ronan's case there be one bigger flaw.

Th' boredom that strikes 'im when things don' challenge him. He needs 'n big challenge t' act. Consider this - will 'e think yer "small problems" worth th' effort? Narr. He'll jus' continue adventurin' about.

I ain't goin' t' waste more breath 'ere, bloody hangover.

Ronan, better off fightin' dragons._

• John swaggers on the rant stand, once again.

_Ahoy people o' Peltarch. Had hard time pickin' th' candidate whose negative sides ah want t' point out t'day. So ah rolled a die. An' th' turn came fer.. Parsley!

Arr, this 'in 'ere, he ain't about much, be 'e. Narr, he's jus' tryin' fer th' hell o' it. He'll toss promises like ye 'ave heard him say, left an' right. Some he means, some he don'. But don' think he be neutral on who 'e wants t' help most. Nae.

He's a hin. He loves hins. I 'ave 't on good source that he be tryin' t' bring th' whole o' Silver Valley 'ere t' vote 'im fer victory. Also, rumors say he'll try t' fix th' votes.

Sure, he's got a noble goal in mind. He wants all good fer 'is race. Ah understand that. Dwarves toss em, humans diss em. But y'gotta admit, candidate o' th' smallfolk ain't in Peltarch's best interests.

Peltarch be needin' candidate that be fer Peltarch. Nae a candidate that be fer Peltarch's nobles.. nae a candidate that be fer Peltarch's burghers.. nor 'n candidate that is fer th' halfling.

There be candidates that do good fer th' whole o' Peltarch, nae matter what. Then there be candidates that sign up 'cause it be funny.

Parsley Tealeaf, the hin's choice._

• _Even before Adrian's response, the commoners, superstitious as ever, seem agitated at all the talk of a weapon of magicks dark and origins sinister. When Adrian does take the stand to reply the crowd seem mixed in agreement with his sentiments and unfounded worries that the sword in question was never actually destroyed. A few of the more paranoid ones go to shake Perin down and only leave the poor shopkeep alone when a couple of burly guards weigh in.

Still, word spreads about John's novel plan for the rest of the candidates and his next pronouncement promises to be better attended again, to the dismay of the guard._

• "He would call me greedy, but still insists on selling a blade corrupted by evil instead of doing the right thing and having it disposed off once and for all. With N'Jast's rampage into the city, no doubt it found it's way to one of their darker soldiers. Who is to say how many were injured or slain by the corrupted weapon."
    He shrugs and can't help letting out a chuckle at an accusation of greed coming from a Black Sail.

• The currently-non-scurvy pirate, or so they say, John Isle takes the stand with a big grin. Arring to attract general attention, he announces the following.

_Citizens o' Peltarch! As y'know, there be elections comin' up. What this means be, there be 15 candidates that try t' tell ye how great they be - whether it all be true or nae don' matter. They'll tell ye what ye want t' hear, so ye vote fer them. This'll cause many o' ye t' vote under false perceptions, argh? Arr! T' prevent this, ah have planned t' tell ye what I know o' th' candidates, mostly th' flaws they 'ave, as they'll tell ye their good sides enough. Ah plant t' do this daily, ah'd say.

T'day, we start from Adrian Petrarch o' the Harmonious Order. Adrian, he be a knight. Most think this a good trait. Narr, nae me. Knights see th' world so black'n'white, an' we real people know life ain' like that. One day y'sin, one day y'don'.

Reminds me o' an encounter wi' Adrian. After a very long day, night, day again o' fightin' in th' docks an' th' sewers underneath, t' take back th' city, ah encountered this 'ere sword o' th' cyricists. Now, lookin' at th' enchantments in yon sword, it were one that th' shadier types could wield.. or, maybe, th' ones that don' care about good or evil. Well! Ah went an' sold th' sword t' good ol' Perin, t' get back some o' th' gol' wasted on th' potions it took t' help rid th' N'jast..

After ah had done this, Adrian came foamin' at me how th' sword ought t' have been destroyed by Daisy. Funny enough, ah had offered t' sell it t' Adrian fer that specific use, fer rediculous small sum. Arr, nae, he were 'n greedy knight an' didn't accept.

This be th' kind o' thing that be stagnatin' economy. "Let's destroy everythin' that ain' holy avenger!".. good thing in principle, but in real life that don' work.

If I be honest, an' look at Adrian's resume, there be only one thing I think he has really done fer Peltarch. That be th' Icelace tournament.

Funny enough, th' lazy bugger ne'er finished it.

What makes ye think he'll finish what he promises, this time?

Adrian Petrarch, don't vote fer him.

Next week, I'll reveal ye th' flaws o' next candidate. Stay tuned. Arrr!!_

• _Herald Damian Fisher, accompanied by General Lavindo, announced to a reasonably sized crowd from the stand that Nominations for election to the Peltarch Senate are now officially open and will remain so for two months. Nominations are to be sent to the Office of the Herald in writing accompanied with a copy of the candidate's citizenship papers as well as the signature of their seconder (who merely has to be any other Peltarch citizen), along with the minor processing fee of ten gold pieces.

Campaigning is forbidden until the close of nominations, however candidates are allowed to announce they are entering the race if they so choose. The Herald will not release the final list of candidates until the close of nominations.

((PCs who wish to run, PM me with your letter to the Herald and you'll receive a confirmation from his office once he's checked out your citizenship and seconder are okay 🙂 ))_

• _The group who gathered idly to listen to the speakers first seem to murmer in agreement with the first speaker, women gathering their children about them with fearful expressions at the idea of Orcs snatching them away in the night, the city folk generally being somewhat unfamiliar with the greenskins. The few half orcs in the crowd, mostly haulers delivering to and from the docks are quick to skirt around its edges as best they can, though most fail to escape stares of suspicion and fear.

The mood changes somewhat at the second speaker's words, most recognising the name Grag and a few murmer either agreeingly or in a few cases grudgingly that the half orc and his legion have made a good impact on the land and the crowd loses its fearful momentum and disperses back to their business, largely ignoring the final addendum about the flowers save for a few mothers saying "I told you so" to their children._

• Legion

Martoushca Gets up shortly after

Aye … let us think about it ....

While we are thinking, let us remember that this city is still standing today thanks to the sacrifice of many, including the Legion. Infact this city owes much to the Legion - which, by the way, is under the leadership of the _half orc_General GRAG! That Man is a hero! Is this a city that would condem the Just with the wicked?! Certainly not! This city has been built on one of the oldest sayings in Narfell - DEEDS NOT BLOOD! As we rebuild our homes and these walls, let us not forget the foundation on which we are building!

Let the actions of those who plot against the Jewel condem them, not their bloodline!

She gets down, but then remembers something and gets up on the rant stand again.

Oh, and could folks be mindful of the flowers in the common!? There is no fence around them, so please watch your step. I've had to replant them more than a couple of times this week. Thankyou.

• An overweight, bredraggled, unatractive burly man takes to the stand one day…

"I am new to this city, taking refuge behind the strong walls and strong laws of this great bastion of civilisation. We have orcs at our gates to the west, destroying farmlands that we could use to feed the people, and threatening our borders. I raise my swordarm against them along with many other brave citizens.

And yet we let half breeds into our city. They speak Orcish, they are proud of their orcish blood and many turn a blind eye to their threatening ways. Yes they have not broken any laws...yet. how long before we have violence on our streets...how long before your daughters are giving birth to orc blooded children...can we be sure they are not spying for our enemies?

think about it..."

He steps down and moves off...