"WHAT WOULD TIDUS DO?"

• As Rith listens to Lycka and Marty's words, she looks concerned, shaking her head softly. Eventually she decides to speak up to them, not raising her voice beyond what is necessary for them two to hear her

I believe the bottom of the matter is that what would Tidus do does not matter any more. We like to think that Peltarch is a bastion of freedom, and because of that it must stand free of any chains - and that includes the chains of the past.

Tidus did what he did in a moment in time where action was required. His actions marked the path that Peltarch would walk. But many years have passed, many generations have come and gone, and Peltarch is not a semi-barbarian settlement now. It is a raising star that has attracted all kinds of attention. It has grown, evolved; and these times may require action once again. A different action for a different time, and a different situation.

Tidus' formula worked for Tidus' time, with the problems of those days and under the circumstances of that time. Being conservist about it and playing guess games won't do for the people of today, with today's problems and under today's circumstances. What would Tidus do will not answer anything, even if he was really alive now and here to say what he would do. Peltarch doesn't belong to Tidus or his sentiment. Peltarch belongs to the people that live in it today and to their children.

I believe the efforts need to be put in making sure that whoever will rule Peltarch from now on is just, and is good. And no, I don't believe in the Divine Right for Peltarch. I have the greatest respect for her, but a god that does not make distinction between good and evil as long as the ruler is "fair" does not cut it for Peltarch. Peltarch needs more than fair rulers. It needs good rulers. Rulers that will work with clear and good intent, with the passion of their hearts, and not with a book of law where people are numbers and statistics.

What I also do not believe is in how the Senate has been conducted for as long as I can remember since arriving to Peltarch for the first time. Even back then, there were obscure plots and schemes involving Senators being aligned with guilds that smuggled illegal items, traded with slaves and dealt with murder. It isn't that much better these days, when even the senators of noble heart have grown indolent and careless, possibly burned out because despite being senators, they still felt like they did not have the tools to change Peltarch to be a better place.

So what is the solution? The solution is as hard as it is simple. The people must choose what they want. They have the right to choose freely. And this… points at the banners is just as cheap as the propaganda that most senators have used to buy citizen votes. I can't help feeling that all this merchandising and paraphernalia is just putting a price tag on Peltarch, not as a city, but as an ideal. Putting a price to a citizen's vote. The price being, sometimes a T-shirt, sometimes a bowl of soup...

And just as I don't like pricing votes this cheap, I don't like how the priests of Siamorphe were called up to check everyone during a census. That was completely uncalled for. Peltarch doesn't belong to Siamorphe, and they have absolutely no say on who would be fit to rule it. That's an exclusive right of every Peltarchian.

But what's done is done, and the options stand before us. What makes me really sad, is that it will not be a clean choice any more. Everyone will have to deal with Pro-monarchy or pro-senate campaigns that attempt to sway their opinion like tenacious salesmen, that explain only what is good from their product, but never mention the flaws of it. Many people have probably chosen a side now, and everything they see will only feed their confirmation bias, without really evaluating the other side of the story.

It makes me sick to think that Peltarch will belong for the next few decades to the better marketing campaign. If only for that, I'd be willing to overlook the Siamorphean coup at the census and see a king at the crown of Peltarch. That would surely do away with this prostituting of ideals and principles about something that is greater than all of us. It's the same song every few years, every time the elections are up. Even now, when it isn't even elections. When it is the fate of thousands of citizens, that we still refuse to cast our vote and let others cast theirs freely.

I've spent several days so far trying to decide what cause will I support, and I have not made my mind up yet. Not even my experience and whatever wisdom I have gathered over my many years in service to Lathander have granted me the insight to know what is the best option for Peltarch and its citizens.

It is a choice that can not be made lightly. I wish every citizen of Peltarch could make this choice freely, without bias or manipulations. But this all is just making it difficult for them. They will need to be very intelligent to make that choice from their heart, thinking carefully on every way that their decision may affect them, their children, and the children of their children. King or senate, whatever is the choice, it will be a good choice only if they made it themselves.

• Legion

@01cf755215=Karnivor:

I see the spirit of Tidus rising strong in George, I really do! But the question, really, is for each of you to answer for yourself.

What would Tidus do?”

She smiles, light blue eyes twinkling merrily as she leaves the gathering to ponder the question.

To be honest? I think George is a fine, upstanding fellow. But let's understand - he hasn't risen as a candidate for the throne on his own initiative. He is a piece in someone else's game, presented to us as a result of a very sneaky plan.

What would Tidus do? I really have trouble swallowing the idea that he would stand for the sly manner in which monarchists are attempting to instal this king. If he were here today - what would he do? With all my heart I believe he would fix those things that he forged, but are now broken. He'd fix the senate. He'd fix our election system so that the right candidates came to power, not those with money or with magic.

He'd make sure we could forge our own destinies by choosing our own leaders.

If the spirit of Tidus was in George, then the first thing George would do if made king would be to recreate the senate - one that would serve the interests of the people, then step down off his throne. That is the spirit of Tidus. That is what Tidus did, and I know in my guts that's what Tidus would do.

• Lycka also notes the banners, joining the small gathering to cheerfully add her opinion, soon elaborating into a long narrative:

"What -would- Tidus do, it's a good question when you think about it!

In Peltarch's early days, the first and foremost threat came from outside forces - the giants and then Hoarsgate, itching to reclaim control of our precious Jewel, their former trading outpost.

Tidus, wise and splendid fellow that he was, not only took an active and crucial role in defeating these threats but afterwards made choices designed to bring about long-term stability and freedom for the city: he instated the Senate to ensure the city's political autonomy, and then the Wavebreakers Guild, to ensure financial independance.

Tidus believed in every woman and man's right to persue their own destiny. He wanted his people to be free to make their own choices rather than be used in whatever way best lined the pockets of Hoarsgate trade houses. And while Tidus lived, this intent stayed true and the city grew strong and prosperous.

After Tidus' death, the Seafarers guild saw the light of day, followed by several others. As the years passed, the threat of Hoarsgate interests taking over lessened, but the power of our own guilds increased – in particular the Seafarers.

In 1098 DR, the Seafarers began trading in human lives, at first with prisoners of the recent war – but they soon found it far too lucrative a market to give up. While many in the city opposed slavery, it was over a hundred years until the practice could be stopped due to the Seafarers massive influence on the Senate.

Over a hundred years!

Money, once again, ruled the destiny of the people of Peltarch. It may not be the Hoarsgate trade houses that were in control, but the lining of pockets was certainly put before the banner of freedom.

What would Tidus have done then?

Is it even that much different now, when money is what makes or breaks a Senator’s campaign and that money comes with strings attached to protect certain interests?

And what would Tidus do now, when the cult of Cyric seeks to overthrow law and order, to spread distrust, panic and fear to our fair city? When Senate seats gape empty, either through manipulation, foul play or sheer apathy?

If you ask me, I’d say Tidus would do his best to protect our city and its people. He would seek to bring about long-term stability, both politically and economically, to see us prosper, see us free from Cyricist manipulation and Senators bought by whoevers pockets are the deepest.

Being wise and fair, he might even strive to improve the lot of the common man, the hard working people from which he himself sprang. He would see us gain more independence, building on our own steady supply of foodstuffs so that no one would risk starvation – so that an honest day’s work gave an honest pay and food on the table.

He would do this, even at the cost of his personal happiness, out of love for our city. He would let all of us choose our leadership.

Sounds sort of familiar, doesn’t it?

I see the spirit of Tidus rising strong in George, I really do! But the question, really, is for each of you to answer for yourself.

What would Tidus do?”

She smiles, light blue eyes twinkling merrily as she leaves the gathering to ponder the question.

• @1a5ebf912a=ClownBaby:

@1a5ebf912a=MCPlay:

Several commoners go by the banners, with mixed reactions:

"I don't know what Tidus would do, but I sure hope he'd take down those gods awful things out of there! They're hideous!l"

"Uh… How the hells did anyone get there?"

"Bah. Mad Marty is up to another of her looney schemes I bet. Will she ever quit?"

"Hmm... What WOULD Tidus do?"

A young man in his late twenties speaks up

"Wasn't it "Mad Marty" who saw this road leading to a king many years ago and even brought it up to the senate, in which they basically shamed her out of the chambers? Maybe she isn't so "Mad" after all…"

The elegant woman seems amused by the young, enthusiastic man

Let me tell you about this gadget I acquired a few years ago. It's the most marvelous instrument of gnomish design. It tracks the pass of time through a few needles that move accordingly to point out at a circle of notched numbers that resemble the precise time of the day and night in each moment.

Unfortunately, my little gadget one day stopped working. How ironic that it was the pass of time itself that did away with its ability to function properly. The needles are stuck, always pointing the same direction. It's old, and useless now, with no value beyond a mere keepsake. But it still gets the time right two times a day. Not because it means to, or it has the power of reasoning to get the time right. It's just because it exists and points somewhere, that eventually it will point at something that might make an illusion of sense.

Also, wasn't Sir Mariston the despot knight supposed to be that king, after he purposedly altered the Senate for it? Because I don't remember gnoll wars, cyricist demonic strikes forcing martial laws and all the myriad of complications being mentioned in any of the public senate meetings, or the word on the streets. Also I haven't seen Sir Mariston for years now… is he doing alright? Might he be the sinister hand behind all of this, and the old Tidus descendant just a puppet to his malicious schemes?

You know what? You convinced me now. I think we might be onto something here...

• Indeed sir, and may I ask why such a cruel name of "Mad Marty" even exists? She is hardly insane, but instead devoted to protecting the interests of Peltarch as every good citizen should be. I would instead congratulate her on her upholding the ideals of what Tidus started so long ago, but this isn't even about Marty, its about what Tidus started so long ago to bring freedom to these lands, then he himself stepped down as ruler so Peltarch could be free. What would he want for the people he helped to free?

• @264e9c1964=MCPlay:

Several commoners go by the banners, with mixed reactions:

"I don't know what Tidus would do, but I sure hope he'd take down those gods awful things out of there! They're hideous!l"

"Bah. Mad Marty is up to another of her looney schemes I bet. Will she ever quit?"

A young man in his late twenties speaks up

"Wasn't it "Mad Marty" who saw this road leading to a king many years ago and even brought it up to the senate, in which they basically shamed her out of the chambers? Maybe she isn't so "Mad" after all…"

• Because Marty…he is not his father, he sees the people suffering and like many wants to make changes for the better, he believes in his heart that this is the way to do it. We may not agree, but that is what he believes in dear, just as much as Tidus believed in what he did, and you believe in what your doing now.

• Legion

Thankyou for your kind words Eilonna. But I think every child in Peltarch knows what Tidus would do. He fought harder for freedom than anyone. Freedom from giants and ogres, freedom form the king of Hoarsgate, and when he became king he immediately gave his authority to the people. The man was like… freedom incarnate.

How can the bloodline of a man who spurned the idea of monarchy be used to support one?

• Eilonna comes over setting a hand on her shoulder speaking in a friendly and calm tone

Its fairly hard to say what Tidus would do, he might agree that a King would be good at this point due to the failures of the Senate, he might disagree thinking that the Senate while flawed is better, or he may have proposed a better solution. Do not let yourself be wounded by the words of those that are confused and nervous. Its easy to sling the stones then admit that they are unsure.

• Legion

marty speaks with one of the other volunteers handing out shirts

Why do people who don't know me call me "Mad Marty"? It's a bit … hurtful. When did folks become so mean spirited?

• An elegantly dressed woman overhears the conversation and stage whispers to the group of people

Tidus would say - if Mad Marty supports any cause, do the contrary! Keep the city sane!

She then laughs softly as she walks towards the docks

• Several commoners go by the banners, with mixed reactions:

• Legion

In several "how did they get it up there!?" places about Peltarch, the WWTD banner can be seen flying.

((using spiderclimb to place the banners at night. Screenshot of purchase of cloth))

• Some of the commoners gladly take the shirt, a few of which likely because they have little else to wear, others take it out of politeness but will never wear it in public, while others still refuse it, either because they support the monarchy, find the shirt ugly or because they just don't care.

• Legion