María's class

• That is cowrrect, though I was not speaking about divine spells, so we'll have to leave that one aside fowr now.
    Thewre's still two spells I'd like to heawr.

• Legion

::nods:: that's quite a list of mind affecting spells. i have been told this bottle of ghostly visage that i have can stop any spells of the first circle and lower. but also that the priestly spell "spell resistance" can protect you from those spells as well. and upon researching the spell you (maria) casted at fight night that made you turn purple, also known as ethereal visage. that spell can stop spells of circle two and below.

• Nods to the students and newcommers

Today we'll speak about mind contwrolling spells owr similawr. This is something you'll eventualy come up by…be it casting it, owr being the tawrget.

Stawrting at the fiwrst ciwrcle...thewre's the following.

Chawrm pewrson. The name it's self explanatowry, and it can be neutwralized with a pwrotection of aligment, clawrity owr mindblank.

Colowr spwray. Don't let this pwretty lights stun youwr senses. It can only be countewred with clawrity owr mindblank, but this spell doesn't last too long.

Sleep. The name it's self explanatowry. Can be countewred by a spell of clawrity owr mindblank, and it's so weak, most twraveled and expewrienced adventuwrewrs will be unaffected.

Second ciwrcle:

Gledlee's electric loop. This spell will not only zap you, but it will also set you out of place bwriefly if you let youwr guawrd down. Can be countewred by clawrity and mindblank.

Tasha's Hideous Laughter. This is a joke of a spell...litewraly. Only mind blank and clawrity will pwrotect you fwrom it's effects, though they do not last long.

Thiwrd ciwrcle:

Hold pewrson. Self-explanatowry...can only be countewred with clawrity and mindblank. This one lasts quite a lot, depending on how powewrful the castewr is.

So students, befowre I move on to the fouwrth ciwrcle... I've delibewratedly missed one spell that will pwrotect you fwrom all of the spells mentioned befowre, two that will pwrotect you fwrom the fiwrst and second ciwrcle ones, and one that will pwrotect you against the fiwrst ciwrcle ones. Spell mantles awre no game...

Speak youwr mind. giggles at the joke

• Larathia slips in late, a bundle of parchment in her hair and an ink stain near her lips from where she has been tapping her quill amidst her writing. She came in soon enough to hear the opening discussion of Area of effect spells and smiled brightly at this. Just the subject she wished to know more about!

She pulled forth a clean sheet of parchment and write some notes about the elemental protections, a spell available to her. She did fully plan on using fireball soon and she may as well not toast her allies in the process.

• Legion

::enters the class room scanning around looking at all the people and those she might know. she would take a seat next to shally and listen carefully to the discussion at hand:: how are you feeling shally?

• ::Shallyah enters the classroom and takes one of the seats at the back of the room, putting out a book and quill pen as she listens attentively to Maria's classes::

• Excellent suggestion, Siwrion. I was expecting someone would suggest that.

Nods and smiles, looking pleased.

• _Sirion makes himself known.

"No questions, but an observation. Anyone using an area affect would do well to prepare a countermeasure. Elemental protection, Clarity or Mind Blank, etcetera. If your allies are protected, you can target them with impunity."

"Protective Wards will block Confusion cast on an opposing moral schism."_

• María enters the classroom and looks at the people gathered, nodding and smiling. She stays standing leaning on her staff and takes a deep breath before speaking.

Vewry well. Fiwrst of all I'll clawrify this lessons have nothing to do with the ones I was giving pwreviosly, meaning that, If anyone has a question owr wants to deal with a theme that was alwready mentioned in pwrevious classes, thewre's no pwroblem whatsoevewr, feel fwree to do so.

She looks around again, seeing who is new and who's not, and gives a light nod to herself

Fowr today, we'll speak about Awrea of Effect Spells. Which awre spells that can affect mowre than a single cwreatuwre.

Thewre's two diffewrent Awrea of Effect Spells, those that last in time and those which effect is instantaneous.
    Examples of these would be…

::she writes in the board::

Last in time: Wall of fire, Acid Fog, Cloud Of Bewilderment

Instantaneous: Fireball, Confusion, Mass haste

Well then. As you can see thewre's no defined pattewrn fowr these. Both can cause diwrect damage owr both can act as mass cwrod contwrol spells.
    The lasting in time spells awre good to cast when you awre defending a position, specialy in a nawrrow spot, such as the south gates of Nowrwick. You can place one a bit ahead of the gates, and the enemy will have to stand behind while the awrchewrs and othewr mages cast theiwr own offensive spells on them, cewrtain advantage it is.

Of couwrse, thewre's some amount of dangewr in casting Awrea of Effect Spells...and this is that you may cause injuwries to youwr allies. Fowr this wreason one has to leawrn how to aim pwropewrtly the spells. It's taken me sevewral yeawrs and undefined houwrs of twraining to be able to aim my spells pwropewrtly.

In owrdewr fowr you to twrain this kind of casting, I'll be putting a combat dummy close to the obelisk in the yawrd. I suggest you pwractice casting youwr spells in such a way that you will hit the obelisk while the dummy wremains intact. You will pwrobably scwrew up many times befowre you get it wright, but only pwracticing one becomes a mastewr.

::she grins and snaps her fingers, the board clearing itself::

This is all fowr today's class, unless someone wants to ask something...

• Rumor has it Corwin went into Maria's classroom when it was out of session carrying a large bag and with Kathea Snyders in tow. Alexi arrived later though they kept the door shut.

After some hours they left, Kat growing very brightly, and a new skeleton is seen hanging beside the old one. Corwin also seems quite happy about something else than the skeleton for some reason.

• María enters the class, cheerful smile on her face

Well…I had a pwractical lesson about countewrspelling with some students..but I'll wrepwroduce the class vewrbaly hewre fowr all of you who didnt attend owr in case you missed something that day.

Fiwrst of all. Anyone can tell me how does countewrspell wowrk?

• That's a vewry fine selection of spells, Elva. Those awre definitely good spells, all of them, and would fit the top fouwr fowr most people. Howevewr, I would twrade the last one fowr the "Dispel" spell. The wreasons behind this awre based on the countewrspelling. Which by the way, will be ouwr next topic to twreat hewre in class.

Eventhough She hit the nail with hewr list, is thewre any othewr thiwrd ciwrcle spell you considewr vewry impowrtant?

looks at the rest of the class

• _Right well um….

Magic Circle Against alignment
    It gives the entire party a large amount of defensive wards, Including a defensive against confusion which has saved lives in my experience.

Haste
    It is useful for a number of reasons, Running fast, dodging quicker, Casting more spells, and attacking quicker.

Fireball/Scintillating Sphere
    They both do the exact same thing, the difference being Fire and Electricity and can deal a severe amount of damage.

And Finally Hold Person
    Allowing for apprehension of fleeing targets, or holding the biggest enemy while you take care of the smaller ones._

• Good then, let's move to thiwrd ciwrcle. Elva, youwr up. Name the fouwr most useful thiwrd ciwrcle spells, in youwr opinion. Wremembewr we awre talking about adventuwrewrs hewre, not lab mages…

Smiles and nods at Elva, listening

• _Elva is sitting in her usual seat, waiting with anticipation

She missed these classes._

• One day, María enters the tower at the same hour she always used to, and takes again her spot

Alwright! I will assume Wronan covewred the second ciwrcle alwready, so we'll move to the thiwrd, unless someone has something to ask about the second!

::looks eagerly at the students, smiling brightly and seemengly happy::

• Ronan nods toward Aristos.

Those three you choose are commonly used, quite true. Invisibility and ghostly visage especially.

First, invisibility. This spell can allow a mage to case enhancements on themselves or others with a less chance of being interrupted. However, it does not shield you from spells with area effects or things such as catapult fire, even from allies… since if they cannot see you, they cant judge if such an attack would cause you harm. So becareful when using it during sieges or around other mages who enjoy destructive spells that can hurt everyone. Anyway, the benefits of it are: Escape, safe casting of other "buffs," and planning surprise attacks. To clarify, the term "buffs" is often used by adventurers when referring to spells that enhance them or protect them. I'd say this is an essential spell for a mage, personally. Prepare at least one if you're ever going out to a dangerous area for study or for whatever else. Of course, some creatures are not fooled by this spell, which I will make a list of known creatures that aren't soon. Also, there is a second circle spell called "see invisibility" which reveals invisible beings, so be wary of such if your life hangs on remaining hidden.. always assume that a creature can see you, even if you know they cant.. tis best to play it safe.

Second, ghostly visage. A standard protection for most mages. It protects against attacks with a weak force behind it. So if I were to punch you while you had the spell up, you'd not feel a thing... not that you would if you did not have it cast either way.

Ahems

Anyway, dont assume that this spell will protect you against every physical attack. A weapon with an enhancement on it can penetrate ghostly visage rather easily. Or something with a powerful enough physical force, you will still feel the blow. It also protects from cantrips and first circle spells, such as magic missle. Tis a handy bonus since magic missles can be a bit of a hassle if they are aimed at you. Lastly, ghostly visage obscures your image slightly, concealing somewhat. It may be a little more difficult for one to physically strike you, but again.. do not bet your life that this spell will always protect you from physical attack.

Lastly, as Aristos mentioned, lesser dispel. Dispel is always a good choice, though lesser dispel I find highly unreliable. This is just my personal opinion, of course. Though with lesser dispel, even if you are silenced, you are still able to cast it… it requires no verbal component. Perhaps this is why some mages learn it, just in case of emergencies such as silence.

Now then, of all the spells mentioned, would any of you like to demonstrate them? The offensive ones can be cast on the small obelisk in the courtyard outside.

• _Aristos speaks up from his seat

…I have found that invisibility, lesser dispel, and ghostly visage to be my most used spells from the second circle. I often use the ability enhancing spells as well, but if I had a choice of only three, the spells I mentioned earlier would be those that I would choose.

...and of those three I use invisibility the most..._

• _Elva has no questions, and is currently laying on her desk staring at Ronan with resentment

maybe she wants her normal teacher back._

• -Bartho Voras-

No questions, but 's also worth noting that if one relies on enchantments and other spells that can be evaded through strength of mind and agility, that the ability to Empower such magics is a true skill.