Potion making

• Couldn't find anything on the forums or the wiki about this so here I am in newbie land with a question.

Is there a potion making system in place for narfell?

If not - why?

If yes - can any class as long as they put skills into it, make potions?

How hard are ingredients for common potions (ex:cure light wounds) to find?

IM curious because I have a Rogue charecter who I would like to have the ability to create potions on if that is possible, please let me know.

Thanks!

-Atel

• Bit of off topic, but are there any instructions / price list for scroll scribing in forums? I vaguely remember seeing something like that sometime in Spellweaver forums, but not having any character as member there anymore don't have access to such. And if there is none in public forums, could it be added?

• Scroll scribing is actually IG already. Using PnP rules, though I only charge gold for it. This is in part because the 1e exp tokens don't translate well to the minimum values of scroll scribing, as well as the fact that scribing is generally limited to whenever I decide to get to it.

As with anything else in the enchanting world, if something becomes a problem or someone attempts to abuse the system in place, I reserve the right to alter the system to address it or to simply deny the requests from the troublesome person.

With regards to potions, a simple solution is to use the enchanting values for charged items. 10 charges per use will grant 5 potions. 5 charges per use will grant 10 potions. This does not extend to any other potion amounts.

As per D&D rules the creation of potions is a magical endeavor. As such, the chemical aspect is not sufficient to successfully create a potion. If, under extenuating circumstances, exceptional components are gathered special cases might be possible. These will be rare and granted on a case by case basis.

These are my initial thoughts on the subject, which may or may not need to be altered at a later date.

• Per DnD rules, Brew Potion and Scribe Scroll both work with pretty much the same rules (potions cap at 3rd level, and costs are different). Both require knowledge of the spell or a scroll or item with the spell (which I assume is used in the crafting process. Both processes also consume the spell's material ingredients and/or XP cost.

Personally, I'd be in favor of expanding the Enchantment rules to include these two feats.

• It depends if you are going by 'I think it should be this way' and D&D rules.

Either one is a valid method.

Brew Potion requires knowing the spell(or having access to it via a scroll.magic item etc) in D&D. The 'components' part mentioned above are part of the cost (it costs xp and gold).

Now, making a minor potion from various alchemical components has some merit. Balancing becomes an issue real quick though.

But, if you go with the D&D method and make it akin to a scroll you already have a system in place from the get go. If Aeo in the future determines that gathering 'X' lowers the cost or ups the potion lvl then so be it.

So if you want it quick, just go with the scroll method. If you want something in a year make a new potion brewing method. Your choice.

BTW I always thought the feats/skills we don't use is wasted horribly.

• @1cf0a08108=Atel:

@1cf0a08108=Arandor:

@1cf0a08108=Salsadoom:

Making a potion and making a scroll should be almost identical.

Why? They seem like two completely different things, to me.

Me as well…Why should making a potion even involve casting a spell? To me it seems as though potion making should involve alot more chemestry of 'magical' things rather than magic itself...

Though I'll leave that debeate for a later thread, this one can be closed.

Actually the process of potion making does occasionally make use of casting a spell while mixing the alchemical base.

Just sayin'.

• @a770fce874=Arandor:

@a770fce874=Salsadoom:

Me as well…Why should making a potion even involve casting a spell? To me it seems as though potion making should involve alot more chemestry of 'magical' things rather than magic itself...

Though I'll leave that debeate for a later thread, this one can be closed.

• @36ecd7656d=Salsadoom:

• Making a potion and making a scroll should be almost identical.

• @9209b3c61d=aeolderr:

I'll be honest, I haven't particularly considered potion making, but I'm sure the enchanting system would allow for it. As far as non-magical characters making potions, I don't believe the brew potion feat supports that.

Thanks Aeolderr, perhaps I shall hit up the COmmunity Suggestions later 🙂

• I'll be honest, I haven't particularly considered potion making, but I'm sure the enchanting system would allow for it. As far as non-magical characters making potions, I don't believe the brew potion feat supports that.

• Legion

Word on the street is that there's a new crafting system in development (a LONG ways out, but still in development)

I'd send a PM Rhistin's way. 😉

• @9a8e3eac29=RYM:

Hm…anyways the brew potion feat only works if you can cast a spell on it, which rogues cant.

I was refering to the ability to gather ingredients and "craft" them intoa potion if you will. Which apparently is not possible in narf.

• Hm…anyways the brew potion feat only works if you can cast a spell on it, which rogues cant.

• Drats, hopefully we can get an explination as to why - I'm honestly curious.

• Potion making is not an option in Narfell at this time. Unfortunately, I cannot provide more detail than that. I'm sure there are others know the specifics behind this…

Do not take the potion making feat (...or whatever it is called) as it is useless in Narfell.