Told from the Rant Stand

• John slides infront of Martouscha from the shadows of the crowd, ready to defend his senator should need be.
    –----------------------------------
    Rath on the other hand can be seen nodding slightly as then orator speaks, then shaking head at Havon's speech. While he doesn't comment on the matter more, it seems clear that he would support 'one united Narfell'.

• Even Havon, as he departs either away or to a place from which to observe further speeches, perks a very confused eyebrow at the heckling and abuse.

• Legion

Marty us utterly stunned by the response, nimbly dodging the volley of hurled filth. She then remembers that she has a double.

• _Many Norwick refugees in the crowd throw fruit and horse dung at Senator Leaffall as she finishes. A few even draw weapons, and suddenly have Peltarch guards ushering them off.

Mutters of "Murderer" and "Slavedriver" float in the air.

Many in the crowd look taken aback by this, as even the Senator's harshest critics have never accused her of slavedriving before. Does she even know how to drive a slave?_

• Legion

Senator Marty Leaffall bows to Havon as he finishes his speech. She then Stands upon a barrel to make a short speech of her own

Peltarch will always stand as a beacon of freedom and civilisation in these lands. My heart is broken for the people of Norwick. It is far from our city's character to take advantage of the tragedy that has befallen our southern neighbours. On the contrary, I feel I speak for every decent person in Peltarch when I say that we will stand by our friends from the south and will do all we can to ensure their tragedy is turned about.

For now I encourage everyone, sons of Norwick and of Peltarch, to stand united. Now is not the time for political drama or bickering. It is a time for effective action. It is a time for compassion. And above all it is a time for vigilance and determination. Narfell has had it's storms in the past and we have weathered them out as we shall this one!

• _The aged elf Havon of Suldanessellar, his dark hair accented with brilliant, elegant silver, takes the rant stand after the prior orator. He projects his voice - louder than his usual, default, calm, indoor volume - so that all who heard the previous orator might hear him now.

"I appreciate your seemingly good intentions. The people of Norwick - and the remnant of its defenders - many of whom died to protect their home and impede Ostromog's northward progress, which impede they did - would also appreciate yours and Peltarch's aid in liberating Norwick from its Bugbear conquerors._

**But to be annexed by one rather than another is no solution for Norwick's people! _The friendship between our people and yours - the people who cooperatively oppose slavery, who champion freedom and liberty together - would be greatly strengthened if Peltarch were to aid in our liberation. But know that the Norwick Remnant lives, and know that we will not only aid in securing Peltarch from Bugbear conquest but also contribute, if not seize alone our own liberation!

Know that our leaders are not dead. If before, Norwick's leadership was weak, then the weak have been purged with the loss of their town. And in this vacuum there will rise stronger leadership: better leadership, which has learned from the mistakes of its predecessors. But this leadership must be of Norwick - it cannot be of Peltarch, for think: Too independent are Norwick's people. We cannot accept foreign leadership - only our own. Just as the Norwick Remnant, whose pamphlets and fliers you see on every door and every wall - the mark of our perseverance! - will not accept Bugbear control of our own people.

And finally I will say: look at the faces of our refugees, my Peltarchan friends. Look at their reaction to the idea - the idea that they would trade one occupier for another! Those are the faces of people who would scorn the false liberator. If you value justice or liberty, my friends, aid us in liberating our people and our town from these brutes - but do not become the brute yourself!"_

(Charisma 15, persuade roll 31, confirmed by Lager.)**

• An orator takes the stand to give a speech.

"It's a damn shame about this bugbear invasion of Norwick. A real tragedy. And because of it we're likely gonna have to step in and fight em off, or it'd be hobs and bugbears at southgate come next month.

"But I have to ask you, how'd this come about?

"It came about because Norwick had WEAK leadership and a weaker 'militia'. Their entire host would barely make a Peltarch platoon. No wonder they went down like a drunken sailor!

"This jumped-up bugbear lord will run like a scared little child when the Jewel marches against him. But since the Robin Redcloak has gone extinct in these parts, he'll just be back next year.

"My friends, the answer is clear. Peltarch must annex Norwick. Their leaders are dead, their soldiers as well, and their people at the mercy of any goblin with a club. With Norwick garrisoned by our soldiers, led to prosperity by our guilds, and ruled by our laws, the land shall flourish and all may live in peace and safety."

Most of the crowd seems to applaud the idea, although the refugees in the crowd look distinctly unenthused.

• A red haired woman nearly all would recognise as Val Kyrie takes the stage, calling out for silence. And although her words are in celestial, all of moderate intelligence or greater (Intelligence of 8+) can understand her.

Good people, tragedy has befallen our neighbours to the south. Do not be downhearted though, for in this hour of need we will all band together.

Those who have escaped the horror of the attacks on Norwick can take shelter in the Theatre. There is not an unlimited amount of space though, so priority will be given to the wounded, the women, and the children. We will organise bedding, food, and healers to attend to you.

If you have questions, please, seek me out. I am Val Kyrie, Master of the Bardic College, and I will be there for the foreseeable future.

If we work together, we can prevail despite the odds. Do not give up hope! Trust in the goodly gods, and work with your fellow man, we will find a way to repay the forces of evil for their dark works!

// OOC: Perform base 37, taking 10 for 47 on Perform:Oratory

• Herald Damian Fisher ascends the stand, flanked by a pair of bureaucratic flunkies and reads a rather short prepared statement.

"Citizens of Peltarch, it is my duty to inform you of the resignation of one of your Senators, namely Senator Adrian Petrarch. Glory to Peltarch and may she be well served by his replacement, when such time comes as the Senate decrees the vacancy shall be filled."

• _Those listening to the speech are clearly moved by the persuasive power of the speaker, though the large majority of them are baffled by the actual message itself. The concept of "democracy" is largely alien to citizens, who would have no reference point for it in a land ruled either by even firmer oligarchies than Peltarch's, or by Kings, Lords or Priests. The people also fail to grasp the speaker's points about conflicts of interest, given that the city's merchants are its lifeblood, the vast majority of people take as gospel that the wealth of the City's Guilds is the wealth of the City itself, meaning the idea of condemning Senators seeking to benefit the fortunes of their Guilds is also rather foreign to citizens.

In the end, the crowd chants some anarchistic type slogans vigourously by the end of the speech, quite fired up into a real anger against the Senate, though few seem to take on board the actual suggestions and concepts included in the speech…likely the only ones truly erudite enough to fully comprehend what was intended are indeed those few nobles actually listening who happened to be perusing the marketplace at the time._

• A pretty, slight Elven girl takes the stand. Her hair is white and beyond waist-length, groomed to perfection. Despite her size, she exudes an unmistakeable air of charming eccentricity. With an utterly intense expression, she begins to speak.
    _Currently, Peltarch has a very dire problem: it is only occasionally a democracy. For the majority of the time, it is an oligarchy, run by senators who are elected for life. These senators, mostly rich businessmen and nobles, are given a lifetime to influence the law in their favour.

There is a distinct conflict of interest. The senators are in a position of legislative power, where they can make decisions which could benefit their business at the expense of the common Peltarchan's well being.

Furthermore, given a lifelong seat of power, these senators naturally lose the perspectives they had when they were originally elected. Thirty years may cause a senator to forget the plight of the common men and women who elected him. Our interests may no longer be synchronized after such a long time.

So I ask you! Should we stand for a Senate in stagnation? No! Should we stand for a system wherein oligarchs play us like pawns for our whole lives? No! We are the people of Peltarch. We are the lifeblood of this city. We should not stand for this.

But there is a way to mitigate this unfortunate problem, if not solve it altogether. Instead of electing senators for life, elect them for ten year terms.

This has a number of benefits. If we hold regular elections, senators will be compelled to more actively champion -our- causes, rather than their own personal ambitions, which can evolve and mutate over time.

They must compete for who is the best representative of their electorate. That is, if they are genuinely interested in representing us, rather than in a position of power for the sake of wealth.

Senators will no longer have the opportunity to establish a permanent grip on your lives. We will no longer have to see the same people ruling us for generation after generation. We will have a chance to affect our own circumstances!

Stand up!

If Peltarch is a democracy, then instead of our voices being heard but once every lifetime, would it not be in our interests for them to be heard every decade at least! Consider the opportunities this would offer us, the common men and women of Peltarch. We need not be helpless, at the mercy of the entrenched upper classes!

Without us, what is Peltarch? It is an empty shell! We are the fabric that holds it together. Let us not be twisted and woven infinitely by hungry spiders! Let us stand up and weave ourselves!_

Persuade roll: 35 (18+17); Charisma: 21 (ruby red lipstick) Verified by DM Lazarus

Alexi Shivarn made an effort to use his extraordinary merchant powers to draw an additional crowd to the Stand for this speech.

• Ronan takes the rant stand

Citizens of the Jewel,

I have heard rumors that some in the senate wish to make a certain issue concerning myself into something bigger than it really is. So I felt I should address you this day.

Yes, I broke the law in Norwick. I assaulted a man. The reasons for such being that he confessed to several murders in our city a long time ago, and while in prison, he mentioned he had infernal contacts. It was my belief that the man might've escaped, and also, I was goaded into conflict by this same man to which I unwisely fell into. I promised that I would fight corruption, and so that is what I attempted to do.

I willingly entered Norwick's courts to face the punishment for breaking their law, and had the matter settled without further incident. The chancellor I personally apologized to.

Some in the senate want to make this a hot-button issue, others would rather not waste the senate's time. It was my wish to put this small incident behind us and move on to more important business. There are greater decisions to be made here. Other issues that should be called to the senate's attention, rather than this one.

Some in the senate demanded an apology from me. The some that oppose me politically. With threats of bringing up forced resignation. I cannot give in to such threats, because it was Norwick that I wronged. Norwick's law that I broke. Not those who oppose me politically.

Though I do see now, that because of this small incident to the south, it erupted into something that it should not have, because of me. The people deserve leaders who focus on real issues.

So because of this chain reaction of events, I would apologize to the people for causing it… for producing the fuse that led to this "scandal." It has turned into a circus. It amazes me that it did. So again, I apologize that my actions led to this.

Again, I was in the wrong to the south, I do not dispute that. Though you all know my reasons for my actions now, and you all know that I willingly entered Norwick's courts to have the matter settled without further incident.

Long live the Jewel

• Daveth twists one end of his moustache and turns to Elidur

"Everyone knows they just make up laws as they go screwing things up."

• Elidur speaking to anyone nearby.

"You mean there was no law against that before? Told you. I told you the magistrate is doolally."

• Magistrate D'Arneau takes the stand and proclaims in a rather matter-of-fact tone…

People of Peltarch,

This day, the Senate of the Jewel has voted to add a new law to our codes - one that clarifies the concept of banishment.

He reads from a piece of parchment…

@0012fe1768:

1.17a: Violation of Banishment - To enter Peltarch territory in defiance of a banishment edict is a violation of the law.

-Recommended Sentence: (1) Punishment as determined by the original Senatorial decree. (2) Up to or including the maximum penalty for the crime for which the criminal was banished. (3) In cases where banishment was the only punishment specified: Fines and jail time not to exceed one month; public flogging.

Thank you, and long live the Jewel.

• Senator Ronan takes the rant stand, having made an announcement before that he would be speaking about some good news. When everyone has gathered, he speaks.

Citizens and friends,

Many of you might have heard of the Shadovar and their doings. Though we need not worry of them any longer. Through the acts of brave adventurers, neighboring towns and organizations, some of your Peltarch officials and citizens, and volunteers… the threat the Shadovar posed against Peltarch and Narfell as a whole has been quelled.

Again we have pushed back a darkness that threatened our way of life, and so this is a time for celebration and peace. You all deserve it. Twas a stressful time for many of us, and while disagreements were had concerning this threat.. we can now relax.

Ronan lifts up a hand and brushes it across his brow, saying "whew" loudly enough for all to hear

I know that I will certainly relax knowing that this threat no longer looms. The Jewel lives on, shining brightly on the Icelace, and will continue to do so.

Long live the Jewel

Ronan then takes a step off the podium, standing around for a few moments to witness any reactions.

• ::Mariston watches bemused::

Simply enter the Temple of the Triad and ask Lady Daisy, before Tyr of the matter if you wish.

• Her singsong voice calls sounds from within the crowd after marty's speech

If his words were naught but lies, then a voulenteer from the interrogation has no reason not to spend a minute of thier precious time under a truth spell to resolve this.

Walks off, some with keen eyes might spot her, but otherwise she seemed like another of the mob with a particularly musical voice, erie as it may be.

• Legion

Marty takes the stand soon after she leaves, standing on a barrel for extra height.

Citizens of Peltarch!

Death is a terrible thing. Even the death of a traitor, while my heart is sure it offers relief for the family of this man's victims, is a dark thing that I wish would not have to be.

I have seen death up close many times. I know how it is and how men act in the face of it. All living creatures at the moment of their death will take any means whatsoever to stay alive. Vladimir's own testimony, as well as all the evidence in the city's possession, condemned this man to death as a traitor. The final words of a dying man, as unsettling as they may be to us, must be seen simply as a desperate attempt to stay alive and nothing more.

Any sympathy we may have for this man is better redirected toward the families of his victims, or transformed into relief that many may live rather than die now that he is gone.

LONG LIVE THE JEWEL, AND DEATH TO HER ENEMIES!

After loudly quoting the late General Lavindo, she turns on her heal and climbs down off her barrel

• Kamilah, patrolling the city in her Cerulean Knight garb as usual, takes the opportunity to take Aune to one side once she is finished playing.