Told from the Rant Stand

• Legion

during a busy time, Marty takes the stand. She is dressed in common, yet well washed garb. A change from her usual Legion colours.

SONS and DAUGHTERS of the JEWEL!

Ever since I was a child I held the story of our fist king Tidus close to my heart.

King Tidus bravely fought against the ogres and giants and other foes to make sure the children of Peltarch would always be free.

When he was crowned as king, his first act as king was to remove his crown and to make sure that Peltarch is ruled over by her people. He gave his crown to us, and despite how our current situation may make us feel, we wear it still.

Many of us are disappointed by the city’s current leadership. We have been appalled and discouraged by their lack of activity and their displays of cruelty against our citizens. We live in a day when the wrong person can gain leadership over us thanks to their mastery of magic. The power to place a candidate in leadership belongs to the citizens of the Jewel, and should never reside in the power of a wand or the power of a holy symbol!

And those who would deny the right of the Sons of Peltarch to elect their own leadership, those who plot to destroy the crown that our fist King Tidus did nobly place upon the brow of each of us, those who seek to rob us of our freedom and to place us under their own rule unrighteously , that same person is guilty of treason.

The gallows are for those guilty of treason!

But I have great hope!

I thank the fair gods that we live in a city that is Defended! I have great hope because Del’Rosa currently stands as a Defender of the interests of the citizens of the Jewel, and a Defender of the principles that Tidus built this city on. I HAVE GREAT HOPE – That once the current crisis has passed, that an election will be called – one that is free of deception and magic. One in which we can choose our leaders NOT based on the power of the MAGIC cloaked about them, NOT based on their BLOOD line, but based on their DEEDS.

It is our DEEDS that define us! NOT magic! Not BLOODline!

pumps the air with a fist
    DEEDS! Not BLOOD!

• Some mutters include questions of the new elections promised this year and that perhaps, despite the changes made to Peltarch law during the last election, the Senate has no intention of going forward with new elections.

• The audience listening to Morris isn't big - afterall, it is lunch hour and cold outside. However, those listening to him are muttering and nodding in agreement.

• Local scribe Morris Purcandel shuffles onto the rant stand one frosty midday; his hands blotted with ink stains and his skin pale for lack of sun. He flaps about a small stack of blank sheets of paper as he speaks.

"Feeling cold, citizens? I have little doubt that you are and yet I think you'll know what I mean when I say that we've been getting a lot more cold coming from high places. I speak, of course, about the senate's lack of response to that new union - yes, the Onion Union. You've all seen the poor scraping to get by on the streets, and we can but thank, I assume, the local Lathanderites for a lack of bodies piling up in the streets as they kindly serve the poor. Yet I, like you, hear of a group of farmers trying to bring more produce into the region, sure to boost the income of coin and to keep us all fed."

He pauses momentarily and shuffles the stack of papers into a neat pile.

"And what is the response of the senate? Are they looking toward the future? Have they preparations for this war against the gnolls? Will our soldiers have to skin the gnolls and wear those wretched hides to keep themselves warm?

The Senate's response seems to be this!"

Morris hurls the stack of blank paper into the air.

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing! My recent observations of the Senate of late have been thus: Not doing anything; or setting citizens on fire! Well, we would all appreciate a fire to keep us warm, but perhaps given the tools we could do it ourselves in a much gentler manner. Frankly, I find the state of the Senate to be disagreeable, useless and highly self-concerned! They ought to be ashamed, ashamed! No doubt they'll be soon trying to shuffle one of their own grubby friends into the senate to fill that new festering wound - that is after they waste all of our coin on worthless election hubbub. Seems to me we would be better off without a senate. Maybe that's something to think about!"

Morris then slaps both his cheeks "Oh my gods! My lunch break is over." He scuttles off to city hall.

• Eilonna takes up the stand speaking calmly in a louder tone so all can hear her *

Norwick would like to invite one and all to another fight night tonight! Think you can beat our two time archer champion Raryldor in his ranged tactics? Come tonight and prove it!!

(( 8PM EST!!, Approx 12 hrs from time of posting))

• A pale elf is seen taking the stand looking emotionless over the crowd and shakes his head as he speaks in a clear and firm voice.

Citizens of Peltarch. I fear for many dark days ahead when the city guards refuse to do their jobs, Twice in one day I have seen the guards fail to do so. Lisa, well within earshot when a guard was called for before a mage used a death spell on me, then newer guardsmen Andrew who rather then take the report on the matter, tells me to seek a magistrate. What the hell are your tax dollars paying for when your guards will NOT defend the people within your city and won't even get off their asses long enough to do a small bit of paperwork? I don't know about you, but if Lord Cro intends to lead his army against Peltarch, you might wanna start depending on your pots and pans instead of the guards, because from what I have seen, the guards are useless.

• _The rant stand has seen many things in its time, but never anything as dark as this.

An award ceremony was held to recognise those who saved the Jewel in its hour of need, when the flood waters were rising and no solution could be found. As the ceremony ended though, tragedy struck.

General Marcus Ash of the Peltarch Guard drew a bastard sword that was sheathed in dark energy, and ran General Sidhion Neverith through, ending his life. He spoke of war, and said that the giants were coming, before calling for "Livia" to come and fight him.

At that point, Robyn Jahnsdottir stepped forward, and joined him on the stage… everyone else who tried was stopped by an invisible barrier. Words were spoken, and they duelled, any who tried to take the stage during the duel or to otherwise interfere was struck dead.

In the end, Robyn triumphed with the aid of Elessar, which cost him his life.

The former General turned traitor Marcus Ash' body was taken to City Hall for an investigation, and General Neverith's body was taken to the Temple of the Triad. There, it was found that his soul was no more, and he could not be returned to the living.

Bells tolled out over the city in mourning.

A dark day in Peltarch indeed, with snow falling like ashes to cover those who wept._

• ::Mariston on hearing of Sirion’s words looks to one of the stonemasons he is working alongside and is heard to say::
    I wonder if this is some truly clever political machination?
    ::Looks thoughtfully for a moment before continuing::
    Well at least that rules out Senator Leaffall as having a hand in it.

• Beorn Battlemail looks up from the pile of rubble that he and several other dwarves are busy clearing, squints his eyes suspiciously at Sirion on the rant stand and mutters.
    "We really oughta hang that elf…"

• In a rare display of hamming it up, Sirion alights upon the Rant Stand in his best silks, with a rare smile to his countenance's

((Also rocking a Charisma between 15 and 19 from an empowered Eagle's Splendor))

_Rabble of the Jewel, heed me! I, Sirion, Magus and Enchanter, speak to you today, in a rare of act of kindness, to give you some direction. I am certain I am known to all and that words of my deeds have reached you all.

You have in a very short time a choice to make, and a rare choice for few ever have such luxury as to choose their masters. Thus I give you my appraisal and offer my support to the following candidates.

Mariston Thel is experienced and well versed in the game of politics, with a reactionary policy. He moves rarely on any issue, preferring to block any senatorial measure he deems unnecessary, but when he does, it is swift and precise and any sword thrust. Truly an exemplar of the wisdom that the government which governs best governs least. And truly, the safest choice, provided you are not on the receiving end of any of his thrusts.

Speaking of experience, Dwin Dolvak is a master statesman, and you would be lucky to have him. Norwick was quite prosperous, for all of its troubles, under his rule. And I'm sure most of that had to do more with their locale than any one decision by its leadership.

Lastly, I must speak of my venerable elder, Raryldor of Corellon. You may recall him serving as my legal advocate during my trial when I was unjustly accused on unspeakable crimes. Truly he did me and justice a service that day. Powerful, resolute, with a not at all inappropriate appreciation for the fairer sex, a vote for Raryldor is a vote for the wisdom of the ages.

And do not forget that it was I, Sirion the Nec…er...Enchanter, who personally endorses these three, and I look forward to a Peltarch united under their rule. Rabble of the Jewel, I have spoken! You would do well to heed my words!_

• Magistrate D'Arneau, in modest plain clothes, rather than his usual armor, takes the rant stand, placing his notes on the lecturn.

People of Peltarch,

I take this stand, during troubled times, to remind you that the Jewel of the Icelace is the great city that it is because of you, its people, and your ability to choose the city's leadership.

I am not here today to persuade or argue with you in regards to what you want for your city - how trade is handled, or even how the Senate operates. Those are your choices to make. I am here, however, to implore that all this change is made peacefully and legally.

It is with that in mind that I caution you to beware propaganda and to question the sources of information - particularly that of Carlos Roam and Daughters.

He makes a pause.

Fraud.

Peltarch statute 1.16 - An intentional perversion of the truth, in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right…. this is a violation of the law.

The ability you have to vote - and to make that choice without being swayed by lies is certain a legal right that each of you has.

He pauses again.

Carlos Roam and Daughters have offered their services to all of the political candidates. Pay them money and they will create propaganda for you that will lift you up - or smear your opponents. Pay them money for immunity to the smear campaigns.

Several candidates have come to me questioning the campaigns being run, propaganda being distributed, and what can be done about what they deem to be horrible lies spread about them and others.

I have examined a good number of the posters spread throughout the city… and have found that there are no explicit lies contained within.

While the statute does specify a "perversion of the truth," it clearly lies in a gray area in the eyes of the law.

He sighs, looking down to his notes.

I do not believe it is legally possible to prosecute these people for the actions they have taken. They are legally within their limits and as such I cannot by warrant sequester what deals they have made with your candidates.

However… I still believe that this tactic is morally dishonest.

Therefore, I would ask that, in the interest of the truth, all candidates immediately disclose what business they have done with Carlos Roam and Daughters.

I urge you all to demand honesty from your candidates - as it is only right that you should do so. The people of Peltarch are owed at least this much.

With that, the Magistrate gathers his notes and descends from the rant stand.

• Fancy bearded grumpy old wizard Draeldun Murdin steps up to the rant stand with a raven sitting atop his hat.

"Fellow citizens, I dare say I have something with which I should like to rant about.

I tire of these brain dead parasites running for senate. Half of them came up from that mud farm to the south. Well, I suppose if you can't properly defend one place you may as well try here, right?

Oh but don't worry, they all have so much coin. They want us to nod our heads with buck toothed grins as they inform us of how much they just love the orphans. All the while they spend thousands of gold pieces to blow smoke up their own fat rumps! I would place my vote with the Rat-Master General but clearly even she couldn't keep these vermin out of our city.

I ask you, who truly has kept our city safe this whole time? Who keeps our city safe every day? Who took action as the senators had a tantrum at each other? I say General Neverith needs to step up. That's a man I'd put my vote with! Not any of these grimy goblin fingered pinheads."

The raven on his hat gives out a loud "Squak!"

"Too right." Draeldun nods and leaves the stand.

• A letter reaches Raul shortly after his speech from a Mister Jason Selious *

Please seek me out immediately upon receiving this letter, I have some word of Marie and I would like to speak to you regarding it. Thank you Kindly.

Brother Jason Selious.

• Raúl waits patiently near the Rant Stand until someone making a speech manages to gather a large ammount of people. Whoever it is, matters not to Raúl, and he gets up and tells him to shut up a moment, while waving his hand annoyed at him.
    He then speaks, short but clear.

I'll give ten thousand coins to anyone that gives me a valid clue of the whereabouts of Marie Scuttlestone.
    If I pay to you and find out the information is invalid, you pray your gods I don't find you. is about to leave and stops, looking at the crowd And I -will- find you.

He then gets down from the stand, dropping a small coinbag to the guy that was talking with 100gp in it ((trashed))

• Ashena repeats a similar speech in Norwick itself, and the Silver Valley after that, encouraging those that can do so to fight, and those who cannot, to pray to the good gods of whatever pantheon they follow.

((rather than repeating the same post thrice over, I opted for this far lazier alternative.. though my paladin is hard at work, of course! 😉 ))

• One sunny morning, the Order's young Swordarm, Tormish paladin Ashena Teroldys, takes the stand, her gold and blue armor gleaming with a mirror shine, silk cloak fluttering lightly in the breeze. Though not tall, she does stand proud and straight, facing whatever onlookers there may be with a soft and steady gaze. Her voice is clear and determined as she speaks up, growing steadily in passion:

"People of Peltarch; good labourers and merchants, sailors and gentry, farmers, soldiers, heroes and adventurers, hear me!

The evil lurking 'neath Norwick's soil has long been a taint upon the lands, a threat which now grows and festers, spilling out of its dank crypts to threaten all which lives above. Again and again, the town's defences has been tested, but we shall sit and wait no more! Now, the time has come to strike back, to put an end to darkness and undeath!

The Order of the Divine Shield has put the call out, we rally all able men and women to the fight. Have you the strength of arm, the courage and the capability to combat this evil? ~Now~ is the time to put those skills to the test, now is the time to use your power for to make a change for the better - otherwise, what good is it to anyone? This world will not be a better place for simply wishing it so - no, we need to MAKE it so!

Those that have, must give. Those who can, must do. These are the words which set me upon my path as Torm's warrior. Those who can fight must do so, to protect those who cannot. But strength of arms is not the only sort of power! People of Peltarch, aid us now in keeping spirits high: light a candle when darkness falls and think of those of us who march into the night. Hold us in your heart and in your prayers! Pray to Tyr for insight, for the wisdom to choose the right path, for rendering righteous judgement!"

Ashena touches fingertips to her temples, then places her hand over her heart as she goes on, her eyes bright.

"Pray to Ilmater, for mercy, for hope and compassion, for He is the heart of the Triad, his kindness a gentle but unstoppable force, without bounds!"

Finally, she holds her gauntleted hand out infront of her, a solemn, heartfelt smile on her lips.

"And pray to Torm, the Hand that wields the sword, unswerving and unyielding, steadfast and true!

Praise the Triad, walk in the light and that light shall spread tenfold! Light a candle as we march, and together, we shall stand victorious!"

((Charisma 24))

• _Upon hearing the news that a treaty has been signed between Norwick and Ostromog, a tall woman with ash-blonde hair and striking features takes the stand.

She eyes whatever crowd may have gathered with a scornful gaze before speaking loud and clearly._

"People of Norwick; it is my understanding that you have reclaimed your home through diplomacy. Such a feat is admirable, if inadvisable. Still, it is a boon to the gods that the lives of many innocents have been spared further bloodshed."

"As I dwell upon the events that lead to the town's capture, it is clear to me now that your people lacked vigilance, and piety. Devotion to the gods of Law and Order, Virtue and Integrity would have guarded you from the Bugbear incursion."

"But there is hope for you yet. Clearly the gods have bestowed upon you a second chance to prove your worth by allowing you to reclaim your town. Heed the teachings of the preachers and clergy from the temple within these walls - a Temple that stands forever vigilant against the forces of malevolance."

"As soon as you step back inside your town's walls you must demonstrate your devotion to the Watcher, and the other gods of the Triad. Your trust and faith in the worthy gods shall see your town kept safe from the forces of chaos and evil for eternity."

"And I, Olwyn Wyvernskull of the Vigilant Eyes, shall stand amongst you; ever-watchful of Evil and leading those confused by chaos and disorder back to a path of righteousness and dignity."

"Walk in the light…"

((Charisma 16 - taking a 10 for a Charisma check of 13))

• After a lengthy period of time (probably several weeks) Val takes to the stand again

Good people of Peltarch and Norwick, I come to you with news this day. The elven priest known as Havon has been questioned extensively, and has been found innocent of involvement in the co-ordination of the undead assault on Norwick. Subsequently, he has been released and is free to return to his loved ones.

May Peltarch always prosper, and Norwick be returned to its people.

// taking 10 on a Charisma check, for a total of 17

• Val takes to the stage and addresses the crowd

Good people of Peltarch and Norwick, I come to you with news this day. The atrocity of the Undead Attack on Norwick, and the loss of more than three hundred civilians, is currently being looked into, and a trial has been held for one Sirion, formerly of Norwick.

The trial was presided over by Magistrate Miranda Greywing, who was given authority by Lady Daisy to act in this instance, under powers given to her by the former chancellor, Biswan.

Sirion was found "Not Proven" on the charges of Necrofelony and High Treason, neither guilty nor innocent until further evidence can be found, and a new trial called. Rest assured that those who love the light are seeking out for evidence to prove the identity of the villain who committed this crime, and that when we have it, justice will be done.

May Peltarch always prosper, and Norwick be returned to its people.

// taking 10 on a Charisma check, for a total of 17

• Hands clasped before her and in silent prayers Celia walks up and down the streets of Peltarch
    –---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moon dressed for battle stands ready for whatever actions…. when ever

Yashi spends her time by the Peltarch stables looking over the sturdy but short legged breed of a war horse and haggling for the price for one of the stallions covering her mare

Mystic.. well she sits curled up in front of the fire in one of the back rooms at the Mermaid Inn, quite content drinking her mulled wine, with a great sneaky black cat at her feet.

Aza'ael seems lost

((OOC: oh just realized this maybe moved to rumors...))