Told from the Rant Stand

• Beorn Battlemail looks sick to his stomach as he quickly shuffles past the bloated egos on the rant stand, staying in the city only as long as it takes to complete his business. Just before he heads to the docks, he mutters to some folks watching the speeches.

"Aye, didn't ye hear this same shite when she brought in Maria to lead ye? Har! Wut o' farce!"

• Jack grins at her, measuring up ecactly how serious she is.

Heh. Tell you what. You find a way to clean up all the corruption, and then I vote for you.

• Meanwhile, Scarlet side-glances at Jack, grinning at him

Tsk, if the senate goes forward I'll present myself as candidate so you can vote me.

She winks at him then… though for a moment she sounded a bit too serious.

• _*While Rith doen't say her own speech, she decides to side with Lycka at the rand stand just by being next to her friend, offering the onlookers her gracious, sunny smile. Lathanderite symbols a-gleaming, Rith understands of the importance of symbolisms and that Lathander being one of the main religions of the region, her presence there might help those Lathanderites and sympathizers that have not yet formed their own solid opinion to find guidance or inspiration.

Rith herself appears quite excited towards Lycka's speech, maybe because the woman certainly has a way with words and such a magnetic aura, or maybe just because after all she has made her own mind up. Maybe a mix of both. After all, she comes from a land where kingship has existed for as long as humans have existed as an intelligent race, and it has become one of the most splendorous and powerful cities of the world, if not the most.

Perhaps in Rith's own opinion, the lack of charisma and convincing arguments from the rivalling speeches hasn't helped to make her believe that the next senate can bring to Peltarch what no senate has done for as far as she has been around: A full ruling body formed by just and fair rulers that look for the well-being of all the citizens of Peltarch over their own. And she's been around a very long time.

As Lycka finishes talking, she speaks just a few encouraging words, in a rather neutral message loaded with positivism*_

Choose wisely, good people. And rest assured that no matter who will rule Peltarch, some of us won't just watch you suffer if it turns out badly. You will always have us.

Tomorrow begins a new era. Embrace it, love it, and build a rosy future upon it. The future is in your hands!

• Jack glances about the stand, listening to the speakers in turn. Once they're done, he moves on, muttering something about sheep delivering their fate to the System, and how that will doom them all.

• Legion

The "Devil we Know"? What about the devil we don't know?

Aye, embrace change! Vote for a new senate!

• Nods at Lyca's speach

• Lycka takes the stand next, giving Martoushca a smile before adressing the rest of those gathered. Her voice is high and clear, ringing out across the marketplace.

"A very exciting day indeed! I find myself hopeful, proud of our city for embracing this vote with open hearts and minds, without rioting or unrest. And whatever the outcome may be, I trust in you all to accept it with the same grace.

This city has faced many hardships, but none have broken our spirits. While we stand together, the Jewel will always shine, no matter who leads her!

You know me - I have been a Cerulean Knight and Senatorial Advisor for many long years, I even filled Ronan Redralen's seat for a while after his tragic passing. I've seen how the Senate works, and how it doesn't. I know from personal experience how one person's fire and passion can drown and be lost in the slow-grinding wheels of due Senate process.

Then, I look at George. I can't help but marvel, not just at the man himself but at the opportunities for change that he represents - real change, the sort that would make a -difference- to the city!

Change can be frightening, I know. But I think we're ready for it, I think we're brave enough to take the chance that's being offered here!

You know what you'll get with a Senate - and maybe that's good and comforting in a way, the familiarity and tradition of it is something I myself find merit in. If this is the wish of our majority, I'm sure we can work with it, make it better.

But for many years now, I have heard voices cry out for change, I have felt dissent brewing. If you are discontent, then be brave enough to do something about it. Don't settle for the devil you know. Embrace change!

Long live the Jewel!"

• Bael'Enver stands quietly nearby listening to everything being said and done. His eyes glance to Marty as she speaks and he moves handing his vote to the Herald before stepping up beside him enough to keep him safe but far enough to give voters their privacy.

• Legion

BROTHERS and SISTERS OF THE JEWEL!

Very exciting day today! Today is the start of our vote - for a senate or for a king!

Form an orderly line folks! And remember, only those who have let priests of Siamorphe cast divine magic over them are permitted to vote! Citizens of Peltarch who were either uncomfortable about being rounded up, uncomfortable with monarchists casting unknown spells over them, or simply working too hard to get the time off to enroll …. just go about your business!

And remember, a vote for the senate isn't necessarily a vote against monarchy. If you'd rather see a king come in with a proper process rather than as a part of this pop vote, then vote for senate!

Thankyou.

• @2a459b22e0=Wywernywin:

"For those who would take the rant stand to cause chaos with ill-informed rumours and speculations, I can merely say; You should be ashamed!"

Once Del'Rosa has walked off Bon stands up, obviously inspired by the man's intense charisma. Bon is a half orc, but unlike the brutal looking halforc who previously spoke, Bon is well spoken and cultured. He is dressed in a bright white shirt, has well kept silver hair, and anyone close enough will notice that she smells of spice.

Indeed!

As our good General has said - Shame. The very last thing we need is for hearts to be troubled in these dark times! Del'Rosa was appointed by our Senate to Defend us. To Defend Peltarch! If we have any faith in our city then we should have faith in him! This talk against the senate, sowing seeds of fear and suspicion, to what end does that take us?

This city will have a strong government! One that will take us into a better future! We are the one's who will make it so! As Del'Rosa has just told us, we -will- be voting soon!

So let us cease useless murmuring against Peltarch and what it has stood on for hundreds of years. May everyone who seeks to undermine our way of life and government with witless words wear shame!

• Tired but ever-so-charismatic ((30 CHA)) Del'Rosa takes the stand

"Citizens of Peltarch! Today, we have achieved a great victory. The whole of the pass has been taken from the gnolls. Only one more task lies ahead of us - the troops defending your freedom to travel freely in the lands of Narfell must land the decisive blow to the heart of the gnolls. Total victory is close at hand, my friends!

I've also been informed that some have shown concern over our senate. I, too, am concerned. And for that very reason, the census is being held. There -will- be a vote once both the census and the war is over.

For now, I ask that you calm your spirits an concentrate your energy to maintaining an united Peltarch. Turning borther against brother due to petty politics is not what we need now. That's what the cyricists want!

For those who would take the rant stand to cause chaos with ill-informed rumours and speculations, I can merely say; You should be ashamed!"

Del'Rosa frowns slightly, shaking his head, before standing down and moving on, planning to return to the war camp immediately.

• What you say? Just cause me half orc me not smarts? Me no right to opinion? Some freedom fighter yous be. Yous saying peoples should listens to yous because yous fight strong. That way of bad Chieftain. Good Chieftain no says people bad because blood. Good Chieftain listens all to chooses right thing do. Good chief…tain... trails off as the redhead starts dancing

• A beautiful, wild redhead takes on the rand stand and once she draws some attention, she begins to dance and sing. Her performing skills are not the best, but boy does she put up a show…

_**You've never seen a diamond in the flesh
    You've cut your teeth on wedding rrings frrom the nobles
    And you're not prroud of your addrress
    In this torrn up town, therre's too much envy

But everry rruler's like pale skin, smooth hands, wrrapped in velvet blankets,
    titles, ball gowns, diamonds in your anklets.
    We don't care, we live on floating castles in our drreams

And every noble's like, rrighteous pedigrree, killing in your god's name.
    Mansions, class games, jousting for a little fame.
    We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair.

And we'll never be rroyals
    It doesn't rrun in our blood
    That kind of lux just ain't for us
    We crrave a diferrent kind of buzz

Let me be your rruler
    You can call me Queen Kitty
    I prromise I'll rrule, I'll rrule I'll rrule
    And you'll live my fantasy

Ooh ooh oh
    We're bigger than we ever drreamed,
    And I'm in love with being queen.
    Ooh ooh oh
    Life is grreat without a care
    We aren't caught up in your love affair.**

When she is done, she bows a few times enjoying whatever attention she gets and seizing every last second of it until she finally steps down with a smile bigger than her face

//Cover for Royals by Lorde 😉_

• As Elidur makes his way off the stage he speaks through a dismissive laugh, as though to drive a final point through the heart of the learned merchant's argument.

"…even the things that matter in 'Cormyr' are taken to a public vote, all such a 'king' would be is another handful of coins paid to taxes so that the rich can attend feasts and games. We voted poorly 'once'. We'll not vote in another dud senate."

He turns back to the stage while he's standing within the crowd and offers a bow.

"But why listen to me, a veteran of the N'Jast wars - someone who fought for 'your' freedom, against tyrants and oppressors, I, Elidur, who has ever had the interests of Peltarch at heart; why indeed - when you can listen to a Half-Orc and a suspiciously learned marketman?"

• The crowds glance between elf and towering half-orc. Most of the people seem to agree with the elf by default, but some who make the effort to understand the big guy's argument nod to themselves. One of the merchants of the city shouts back to the stand:

There are many kingdoms out there. Some good, some are bad, yes? Cormyr has a king. Do you see anyone complaining there? Waterdeep h the Lords. They still don't get chosen, and people are still free. Same with Neverwinter. There's an emperor in Shou Lung as well, which is the ame thing. And look at us. All the senate does is delay and stall. Of course there's freedom. There's freedom not because it's your right, it's because they don't care either way! Enough with this nonsense already. We need someone in charge to do things; not a bunch of idle heads that do nothing. The only real reason anyone supports this kind of governmenr is because they of a false sense of freedom. Wake up already!

• A behemoth of an half-orc takes it to the stand himself, and speaks to whomever would listen:

Senate no works! Too many heads wait for other do job! Free is good. But me free with just one Chieftain! Me old clan protector many years. Me knows old clan. All free. All happy. Yous fear one Chieftain. But Bad Chieftain one, easy take down. Senate many. Much gold buy bad people. hard take down bad senate. Yous have 10 years bad senate. Yous do nothing. Yous have 5 months bad Chieftain, yous send him jail. Pick other. Is easy. Yous got not fear. Yous many! Yous strong! Yous fight gnoll and bad orc! Yous always free if want! So not be slave to fear! Chieftain good if Chieftain good. One. Senate good if all senator good. Many. Chieftain bad if Chieftain bad. Senate bad if senator bad. One. Is better chance Chieftain good than Senate good! Not fear Chieftain!

• Elidúr Ginen, a rare sight outside of the college these days, takes to the Rant Stand. His shirt and cloak the shades of fuchsia upon a sheened, silken cloth that hugs the body and is at the same time loose. Expensive probably, exotic undoubtedly. The Elf stands upon the platform as he might a stage, and with a sweeping gesture of his hand he addresses the crowd.

"Good people of this fair city, our most beloved and wholly respected Jewel. You, 'free citizens' of Peltarch. How many years is it since the senate has done what, now? I don't recall the city ever skipping a step along its merry way, as far as I'm aware none of the present problems are a direct result of poor governance! Why, then, would we sell our LIBERTY to a -leader-? Why then would we give up our rightful place as FREE citizens to enter serfdom under one -leader-? Who truly benefits from that, I ask? You? Haha… I doubt it, no Peltarch. No-one benefits from that outcome. We - are - the VOICE!

Our freedom, good people. Free people. Our 'Freedom' above all things from tyranny, solely exists within our PEOPLE'S SENATE! From the people, for the people. We 'must' stand strong, we 'must' hold united. We 'must' elect a new, more dedicated senate; not for the magics or gold they control, not for their influence in one district or another. But to hear your VOICE, the VOICE of the PEOPLE!

What would you have? The right to elect those who will represent you through the good times and the bad, or would you sell that right and live under military rule forever, under one ruler. One ruler, with one belief, with one ideal, one opinion, one law, one purse. The cup of the wealthy won't spill over, citizens of Peltarch, not under one leader certainly. That cup will simply grow and grow, without Senators on 'your side', your cup will only grow smaller. Think on that, 'free citizens', while you remain free. Before that man's words bring cheers from your lips."

• Legion

@b4109e890e=Wywernywin:

Change! We want change! Maybe ye don't, but we do!

half speaks, half mutters

… Yeah but change to what? Daft bastard.

Marty picks up her sack and also returns back to the lines

• _Some of the commoners nod at Marty's words, some shake their heads. It seems there are people for and against what Marty says. There are also people that still recall the hin as Mad Marty, and pay no heed to her. Still, people seem divided on the matter.

Towering figure stands in the crowd listening to Marty. When she finishes with her talk, Thom Tiller shakes his head and speaks back at Marty._

Marty, Marty.. I respect ye, I truely do. Ye always think what's best fer the smallest o' people. Ye've shown yer support fer me in me plans to provide the city with food. 'm grateful for that.

But show me when has the senate last worked? People get elected to the city through gold or promises always left unfulfilled. It hasn't worked well in tha last bloody DECADE! A decade full of silence and lack of decisions! It's been proven over and over it doesn' work.. yet ye stubbornly support it.

It didn't work when ye were in it, it doesn't work when ye're out of it. Somethin' needs te change - we need single mind with single goal. Ant nest don't survive without queen. Pack of wolves needs their alpha male.

The one with the last voice. The one that'll guide us. A -leader-. There's been one, maybe two good senators. Mildsilver and Thel. Out of how many? 20? 30?

FARK THAT!

Change! We want change! Maybe ye don't, but we do!

But this ain't the time for dividin' the city with these matters. We have a war to fight. Maybe ye care more about senate, me, ah care about the city. And with that, ah'm off to the War Camp.

The aggravated Thom Tiller makes his way out of the crowd, heading south to wage war.