Told from the Rant Stand

• ::John blinks, looks at the man… then begins an uncontrollable fit of laughter:: Buwahahahahahh!

• Father Raldi takes the stand once again to deliver this sermon:

Mercy is the calm after the storm and the peace that follows. Mercy is bane to Cruelty and boon to Kindness. Mercy is part of the foundation of Life, along with Hope, Faith, Kindness, and Sacrifice. Without Mercy, blood is spilled endlessly. Without Mercy, no heart can remain light. With Mercy comes peace and solace. With Mercy comes calm and serenity. Mercy eases burdens and lifts spirits. Mercy is the birth of Hope and companion to Kindness. No saint or man of the cloth must one be to bestow the light of Mercy. Radiant, like the sun, is the man who treats his fellow-man with Mercy.

I am Tyrald Rythen, priest of Ilmater, the Broken God, and I beseech you to have mercy upon your fellow-man.

Take solace in Ilmater’s mercy, for the Broken One is ever merciful.

With that, Father Raldi takes his leave.

• A gleaming armored Sunite paladin gets up on the stand.

Excuse me folks! Has anyone heard the name Baltassa? No, it's very important. I need information on someone named Baltassa. Lives are at stake. About fifty of them, give or take one.

• Father Raldi takes the Rant Stand and delivers yet another sermon.

Kindness is the bond that strengthens, the link in the chain. Kindness is bane to Wickedness and boon to Love. Kindess is part of the Foundation of Life, along with Hope, Faith, Mercy, and Sacrifice. Without kindness, no friendships are forged. Without kindness, we are each an island with no port or ship. Through kindness to others, we form lasting bonds of friendship and love. Through kindness to others, we inspire and encourage love among all. The bond that kindness can create can be stronger than a chain of the finest dwarf-steel, harder than the toughest granite. It is more powerful than any such bond that magic can create and too powerful to be destroyed by spell alone. Anyone has the power to link with others, to extend the helping hand to his fellow-man. Anyone can invoke this power that compels all to be kind, lest kindness and not wickedness be done unto you. Kindness is the touch of the healing hand, the soothing coolness of an ointment.

I am Tyrald Rythen, priest of Ilmater, the Broken God, and I bring unto you a message of kindness.

Look to your fellow-man and see not an enemy nor a rival but a brother. Share your hearth with a starving man and let your neighbor extend that kindness unto you when the lean times come.

Find succor in the kindness of Ilmater, who always extends a hand to the downtrodden.

Father Raldi takes his leave, leaning heavily upon his staff.

• Father Raldi takes the Rant Stand again to deliver another sermon.

Faith is the armor that shields you, the roof over your head, the fire in the hearth. Faith is bane to Doubt and boon to Conviction. Faith is part of the Foundation of Life, along with Hope, Mercy, Kindness, and Sacrifice. Without faith, no paths are walked. Without faith, no trails are blazed. Faith shall guard you against all manner of beasts, even those who wear the shape of men. Faith is the road that leads you home. It gives direction, purpose, protection, and solace. One needs not be a skilled woodsman; the trail of Faith is firm and easy to read. Faith dispels doubt and strengthens the light of Hope. Hope lights the way, and Faith is the road. Anyone can walk the road, no matter what darkness may surround it. Stray from the path, and be lost – but keep on it, and be protected and safe from harm. Faith can turn a blade, unmake a spell. Faith cannot be stolen, though it can be lost. With Faith – and Hope – all is possible. Without them, all is lost.

I am Tyrald Rythen, priest of Ilmater, the Broken God, and I implore you, those who doubt yourselves, to have faith – in yourselves, in your gods, in Ilmater.

Let it shield you from harm, like armor; let others see the strength of your faith and don their own armor. Walk through the wild places of the world – yea, even of the city – with faith, and emerge unharmed.

Let faith in the Broken One, who shields the meek and helpless, ward you and keep you safe.

Father Raldi takes his leave once more, walking with the aid of his staff.

• Father Raldi takes the Rant Stand and delivers this sermon.

Hope is the oasis in the desert and the light in the darkness. Hope is bane to Fear and boon to Courage. Hope is part of the Foundation of Life, along with Faith, Mercy, Kindness, and Sacrifice. Without hope, no great deeds are wrought. Without hope, there is no life. Without hope, all is darkness. Hope springs from within; it is not something that only the mighty can wield, like some heavy blade. It is no hidden mystery that requires esoteric knowledge. Hope is a power, greater than steel or spell, greater than famine or drought, greater than the black of night and the darkness in the hearts of men, a power that anyone can wield. Hope sustains the dying man waiting for a cure for his ills. Hope feeds the hungry child rebuffed by the man walking the street. Hope is everlasting and eternal; hope can be given, ever-flowing like gold from a merchant’s coffers.

I am Tyrald Rythen, priest of Ilmater, the Broken God, and I bring hope unto you downtrodden.

Let it fill you like a good meal. Let it wash over you like water in the like. Feed from the bowl and pass it on to others. Share with your fellow-man – hope shall not run out!

Let the Broken One, who suffers for us all, take your burden and leave you with hope, for when the bread is stale and the well is dry, naught else may sustain you.

With that, the old priest takes his leave, leaning heavily upon his old unshod staff.

• With brisk steps, Black Sails captain Sabre Seesaw again approaches the rant stand, stepping up with a grim expression. Without much further ado, she speaks up:

"Yer attention please - let it be known an' put beyond doubt that the wanted criminal Jaelle no longer belongs to, nor will be protected by tha Black Sails Tradin' Company. Jaelle disappeared without a trace months back, neglectin' her duties an' givin' no explanation for her absence. What we've recently heard 'bout her suspected crimes is nothin' short o' horrendous. Should our crew find Jaelle, or should she return to us seeking shelter, she will be apprehended an' handed over ta th'Peltarch authorities ta deal wi'."

• The Herald ascends the stand with a grave expression, with crowds of people waiting below in anticipation of the election results.

"Citizens of Peltarch, I come bearing bad tidings this day. Your Senator, your General, your hero Kaster Lavindo…has fallen. Brave Kaster fell fighting in a duel for the peace and safety of all Peltarch against Thordin, King of Fire Giants. Never will a death be so sorely felt by so many people in this City, a jewel less resplendent for his passing. Due to these terrible events, the results of the elections will be further delayed, out of respect for our fallen brother."

As the Herald steps down from the stand, the crowd remains in stunned silence. After a few moments, some begin wailing, others rush home to their families, still more react with anger and disbelief.

• Adrian nods appreciatively to many declarations in the speech

• Legion

Applauds

• Clad in her usual and distinctive black and gold leathers, Black Sails captain Sabre Seesaw swaggers up to the rant stand, deftly stepping up onto a crate to hoist her modest 5.1 self up to a more visible height. She runs a hand through short-cropped raven hair, clearly not an accustomed public speaker, clearing her voice lightly before speaking up. Though a little stiff and cold initially, her voice grows in passion and conviction as the speech continues, the last sentence ringing out with heartfelt emotion:

"People o' Peltarch! Yer attention please! On behalf o' tha Black Sails Tradin' Company, I've a short announcent ta make. First off, let it be known that th'crimes committed in Norwick were -in no way- sanctioned by Black Sails command, an' in fact against direct orders! Crewmen Jay and Jack have subsequently been stripped o' rank, pay an' membership in th'company, an' will no longer enjoy th'support or protection of th'crew.

If ye'd bear with me, good people, I would like ta take a moment like ta share with ye th'cause o' this aggression on me former crewmen's part - not in order ta condone their actions, but rather ta give ya'all my thoughts regardin' a topic o' great debate o' late, namely Oscura. What does Oscura got ta do wi' a murder in Norwick, ye ask? Well, a murder is exactly what triggered this chain o' events, an' Oscura lies at th'heart of it. Th'murder of Jay himself in fact, cut down in a local bar by a dozen guards, th'head wizard Pyotr an' gleeful helpin' hands fer NO CRIME other than failin' ta hold his tongue when insults were flung against him. Fer nothin' but words, death was dealt, because th'life o'a "surfacer" means -nothin'- pitted against th'pride o' a blooded.

Fer all those fine Peltarch merchants an' traders who have found a new market in th'underground city, BE CAREFUL of investin' too deeply in a city which reserves all rights ta its own citizens alone - unless they be slaves, an' no longer considered people at all. If a person workin' fer a company -based- in Oscura gets cut down like a dog fer darin' ta talk back in th'face o' blatant verbal abuse, I shudder ta think how th'wrong turn o' phrase by an outspoken Peltarch businessman may be received.

I stand 'ere today wi' me love fer this city renewed, fer while my company was created here, while we've lived, grown an' struggled here, even bled an' died reclaimin' it's streets from th'N'Jasti scum, Peltarch law an' politics have long been a thorn in th'side o' that love. It ain't no secret several o' th'crew have seen th'inside of Peltarch's jail, myself included, an' it aint no secret we're under th' watchful eye o' that same law again. But ya know wha'? In Peltarch, we're nay EXECUTED fer bein' rough aroun' th'edges, we're nay without certain basic rights, as citizens, as persons o' whatever origin an' status.

Th'Black Sails will not only accept, but assist th'current investigation inta our affairs, an' I cin only hope that ye, th'fine people o' Peltarch, will reserve yer judgement until th'outcome o' that, an' nay judge th'entire group on th'actions of a few enraged, misguided members hell-bent on revenge. I freely admit, th'anger an' frustration these two crewmen felt, I too share, but th'violent an' ruthless attack born from that rage is an -unacceptable- response, an' th'consequences for that is for th'two responsible ta face.

Me own response ta an Oscura tha's increasingly hostile is quite different - I wish ta focus th'majority of th'Sails operations away from th'underground an' ta tha true jewel in th'crown o' Narfell, Peltarch. I will work towards creatin' more jobs fer Peltarch's able seamen an' women, an' while we are a small organization, in no way th'match o' th'lumberin' giant companies such as th'Seafarers, I like ta believe we cin bring somethin' worthwhile ta this city. I like ta think we cin -give somethin' back- ta th'city, ta th'docks we helped reclaim with our very lives on th'line!

To this end, at me orders, the Sails’ve created a fund fer th'betterment of the Jewel’s poorest dockside folk: Th' Fund for the Relief of Indigent Fishwives, Fishermen and Peltarchian People. Endowed wi’ a generous store of the Company’s own capital, this fund will function both as a means ta relieve poverty by charitable donations, but also, an' more importantly, as a means ta -prevent- poverty an' indebtment by offerin' fair an' low interest loans ta good an' honest workers fallin' upon hard times. Poor folk who be oppressed b’ th’ sharks o’ credit or who wager they’ve a special case fer recognition should address their petitions ta th' fund administrator – upright Mister Aleksandr Borodin, attorney at law – on paper or if you ain’t a reader or writer - make’n appointment ta discuss yer case.

The Black Sails Tradin' Company be committed ta Peltarch, an' I mean ta show it. Long live the Jewel!"

With that, the petite sailor steps off her perch, hand at her hip as she watches the crowd for possible reactions.

• Vick listens to the banishment from an obscure spot, out of site of the crowd. He nods his head and then quietly slips off through the throng, barely noticed.

• Legion

Nods with a slight salute to Ash and walks off

• Elder Senator Rath Ashald ascends the stand after coming directly from City Hall, flanked by guards. General Marcus Ash joins him as curious citizens look up to see what's going on. Senator Ashald produces a weighty looking parchment and reads aloud from it.

"By edict of the Senate of Peltarch in the name of fellowship with our allies the Troff Royal Legion, and in the name of friendship with our neighbour the town of Norwick, for crimes and foul misdeeds abroad, the members of the Black Sails known as Jay and Jack are hereby banished from the Jewel of the Icelace, never to return. Should they be caught within our walls, they will be bound and handed over to the Troff Royal Legion, that justice may find them for their actions.

In light of recent reports, it is also the edict of the Senate of Peltarch that a full investigation into the affairs and activities of the Black Sails be conducted at once by the Peltarch Guard under the authority of General Marcus Ash. All wrongs will be righted, long live the Jewel."

• Virtually all listening to the two speakers heckle the Oscuran and applaud the Senator.

• ::Mariston retakes the stand::

Let us think on this a moment good people, a sentence of hard labour, is not slavery, a prescribed work regime is provided for the inmates day. This is part of their debt to society, knowing also that the statutes of the law and the sentence the Magistrate lays upon them limit their time of incarceration and work. Like all criminals they loose some rights, that of their freedom and to vote, such rights are lost when laws are broken. Yet other intrinsic principles remain intact, they are afford a level of care and of dignity we as Peltarchains would expect.
    Now a slave, there is no time limit for their servitude, there is no rights for these people who are treated as no more than chattel, whose worth is no more than the coin placed on their heads.
    The Oscuran ::indicates Vladimir:: would claim that they are indeed one and the same, yet he obfuscates the truth behind arguments based on a childlike understanding of principles of crime and punishment and rights of the individual. If one wishes to try and argue that a punishment that has a predetermined time as part of a rehabilitation is the same as life long servitude where one has no rights, no hope, and treated like a possession to be bought, sold and used as their ‘owner’: barely manages to not spit the word:: determines, then by all means vote for such a world, however if like me you wouldst see a city that stands tall above such practices, that recognises the worth of each and every person. Then I urge you to think carefully and vote wisely, for that is a freedom you all have, one to vote and know your voice will be heard. ::smiles at the crowd::

• Elidur calls from the crowd, his words are stressed with laughter.

"He's inciting a riot, get him off to Damara!"

• Vladimir not having taken the stand yet walks up, and steps up giving mariston a polite smile

"Peltarch, i know many of you are against Slavery, and up untill recently i did not know of Peltarchs "forced hard labour" as the magistrate put it..

Now is a time for change in your city.. Think on it. If you are against slavery, which many of you are.. Do not turn and blame Oscura for it. We control Slavery, rarther than ban it.. THerefore it is able to be mointered and not just forced underground like it is everywhere else..

Yet as your senator here says.. It is hard labour for the city. Is that diffrent from slavery? In principle.. Yes, in practice, no.

People sent away to work, with no choice of it, no free will against it. That is slavery. there is no diffrence in practice between that and those who are traded in Oscura. Besides, many of the slaves in Oscura are from the same abckground. Law breakers.. THose who fought against the law.

I know many of you will be angered at me for saying this. Yet i am not the one you should be angry at.. The senate.. They sentae that accuses others of such things yet hides the same thing, unknowingly, in another form..

Ask for change.. The election is a time to right the wrongs now uccastomed in this city.. Vote for those want want the best for you.. John Isle, the slightly excentric gnome.. Not those who are just wanting their own narrow minded way.

vladimir likely being heckled, steps off the stage quietly, in paticuler one Large Leiogn half orc waering a robe of Kelemvor shouting "Fark you Oscuran! Go raise some undead slaves!"

• Actually enforced labour is very different from slavery, for instance, those who are required to contribute to the City for their crimes are not property. They remain their own person, with all the rights there of. They are no treated like chattel, with no rights nor dignity. To contribute back to the society one has wrong by transgression is very different than being bought and sold for no crime. If the Oscurans are seeking to say otherwise, which one rather suspects they do to ease their own minds rather than any form of rational thought.

I wouldst presume that they shall soon argue that any form of imprisonment for a crime is also slavery, since by the rather backward logic being employed, that is slavery. Tis the words spoken by malcontents and fools.

::Mariston looks over the crowd::

• The Oscuran in the crowd replys!

"Be it from criminality, or other means… THey become slaves none the less.. Criminality is where the vast majoirty of slaves come from anyway.. It is no diffrent to slavery anywhere else just because the paladins say so"