OOC - Information Needed

• I'm going to have to go with Sterling and Green on this one. Accusing the Legion of leaving the gates undefended is making IC hay out of an OOC necessity. The players can't be logged in 24/7. Many Legionnaires live in Jiyyd, and the ones that don't have guild offices in Jiyyd. Not only the Legion Hall but also the Emerald Tower, for Spellweaver members. If they were logged in, they would go rushing out of their homes to defend the town. Nobody should ICly accuse the Legion of leaving the gates undefended unless they are either deliberately lying or exaggerating, or IC-ly ignorant.

If we want to give the Legion a proper IC chance to defend the town, why don't we work on ICly setting up a better reconnaissance and warning system.

This could include mages who take turns polymorphing into hawks or other birds with keen eyesight that can see for miles (much farther than the range of Detect Magic or Dispel Magic). These scouts could look over the walls of the orc fortress to check for a build-up of their forces. I know of 4 mages in the Legion that can do this. Druids could do this as well. Depending on how long it takes the orcs to build up an attack force, periodic scans of the fortress would be enough to give us some advance warning before an attack. Building a very tall watchtower on the southern hill would help as well (of course you couldn't see into the fortress, but maybe you could tell if lots of orcs are coming out of the gates).

OOCly we could either schedule gate attacks in advance or just send out a shout like we do with Norwick gate attacks.

• ICC

Seriously… I think that a lot of the "IC point of view surrounding the Legion" as it pertains to Jiyyd is simply an attempt to use the IG clock against OOC player life/commitment.

If one were to go by the game clock, then yes one could argue that there have been lapses in time when town attacks have occurred and not a single Legion member stood post to stem the slaughter.

However, to make an argument when people know ooc that Legion members were not logged on is a huge slap in the face to those players who have committed countless hours of game time establishing their commitment to the town through years of IC actions from their characters.

It's an IC power grab… I can see that. But, like Lyte, my character can't comprehend where the argument against the Legion is coming from, since IC he knows how many hours he's spent at the gate, on the tower, on patrol, ect... and certainly knows the same about his fellow legion members and leadership.

In summary: That line of argument is extremely unfair.

• That is exactly what this thread is meant for Lyte. Communication 🙂 We can do only so much and know only so much of what is happening around.

Just to make things clear and avoid any confusion to everyone:

I am still PC'ing as well, and will remain to do so. So if a post in this forum is meant IC, as a reaction of any of my PC's, I'll make sure that there can be no confusion. In any other case, my posts are meant as DM, concerning Jiyyd. If there is any confusion, don't hesitate at all to ask. As well, what several factions in game may do or think, does not mean my PC's do or think alike. It's RP after all.

Thanks for all the input so far 🙂 I've received quite a lot already, so I'm happy.

• Both Grag and Gobbletom have asked Lyte to Captain the new Militia. She told Gobbletom she would accept the positon, which is completely seperate from her Legion duties, according to Gobbletom. She has not asked for, nor wants, any pay.

She is very confused on the Helmite issue, and where they fit into this.

Each and every time Lyte logs on, she spends some of her time RPing guarding Jiyyd's gate. She has done this for at least a year and a half, virtually every day, except for RL vacations and deaths.

This makes the complaints of the Helmites about the Legion guarding the gates, to her, out and out lies, which concerns her greatly. While none of us are on all the time, as Dms and players, the Legion as a guild spends as much time in guarding gates as any Guild in Narfell, so, while I think it's perfectly fair for evilers to knock the Legion all they like, I should think the Legion itself would have an extremely strong reputation, after all these years, with the npc townsfolk in and around Jiyyd.

Lyte is second in command in the Legion. She is not a real hard ass sort of leader, and is generally reasonable and charismatic. She tends to do the day to day paperwork and writes good copy, with a decent sense of dealing with people's personalities.

Lyte spends most of her time in and around Jiyyd, attending to her Legion duties. She is quite friendly with Vroka, and she has done some part time seamstress work for the elves who run the tailor's shop. Lyte has always been extremely polite to everyone on the council, and, as far as I know, has no enemies in Jiyyd, being diplomatic and having a generally compassionate nature.

I think this thread is an excellant idea. Often Dm's and players are thinking along different lines, and bump heads misunderstanding where things are going, or what things have been accomplished in the past. Maybe this will help get everyone on the same page, as I have felt somewhat lost of late. 🙂