The Long Walk, a Black Lion's Tale.

• Sometimes, old habits die hard.

Frankly, that's kind of how it should be. The hardest dying habits are usually the ones you've cultivated over years, even accidentally.

I found myself walking a patrol, rather than just walking through the Residentials, checking into alleys and behind buildings, and keeping my ears open for anything unusual ... which frankly, is a LOT more stuff than you'd hear in Norwick. The sheer number of people here alone is enough to turn everything I've gotten used to on it's head!

Even now, with me no longer being a 'guard', patrol was on the menu, so I did a few glances here and there as I normally would, on the way to the temple, where I spoke to Jonothan about what's going on since I saw him last. We speak often enough, since I tend to buy a LOT of potions, and this time, he seemed glad for my asking. Apparently, a newish necromancer had showed up in the sewers to cause trouble.

I said that I would take some time and check in on it, and end the threat if I could. He seemed to take to the idea that I might check in once in a while and let him know what's going on outside, since his duties keep him inside the temple, and there's not a lot of folks to help with the outside lately. I happily agreed to oblige, and off I went.

I found some of the usual suspects in the commons, and had some urchins spread the word that I was gathering folks for a mission, and off we went, into the sewers. I KIND of know my way around down there, but not nearly as well as I should, but we found out way to where we were going easily enough, as not only was the goal the crypts, but we encountered headless men and unusual undead as soon as we started getting close, so I knew when I was on the right path.

Cultists attacked after our first big battle, coming running at the sound of the pitched battle we just fought, having been surprised and largely unspelled against the fairly tough foes that appeared from around a corner, and set to our party with fists and fangs and weapons and cold, unfeeling, efficiency.

The cultists were down quickly, as they had the foolish idea to charge noisily in, screaming their battle cries, and that let me take three or four strides, to welcome them at the door.

The first threw his head back to scream a spell, his hand extended at my group, eyes widening in fervor, and then closing after a jerk, and a moment's surprise, his head cleanly removed on my strike that was conveniently aimed at his pal next to him ... and he was just in the way. So I went Through him. The next guy didn't give up a while lot of resistance, poorly armored and too skinny, so I got the one next to HIM too, all in one swing.

Turns out, that was enough to scatter them a bit more, making them somehow even WORSE at being organized against us, if such a thing were possible, and the arrows and blades of my allies wiped the floor with the rest of them in record time.

We took stock, then, Thorin blessed my sword to burst into REAL flame, and off we went. It got crazy, fast. Undead I've never seen before, these headless monstrosities, attacked, with the other usual ones joining in, including those farkin priests and their hold spells. My new armor shrugged off enough blows while I was held that I didn't get too badly hurt, but I DID get annoyed. Thankfully, there was plenty to take out my aggression on in the next room, and all around my, my allies, including the new Druid girl, Cia, did admirably.

I'm going to have to start keeping a roster of who joins me on these things, considering what happened later, but I'll get to that, soon. For now, necromancers ...

We fought through the usual, the unusual, and finally got to the his lair, where he did the usual mocking of us mortals, and then summoned MUMMIES Onto us. Not Mummy Lords, at least, so they went down mighty quickly, much to his disappointment, which I admit I didn't see much of thanks to everybody mauling his ass too much for him to concentrate very well on his feelings.

My feelings, however ... were an issue, as I was FEELING the biggest headless creature beating the shit out of me, while folks had to take a quick breather to drink potions and heal up, and I figured I could hold it off for a moment.

I was wrong.

I couldn't put that new knowledge of centering my weight to be able to dodge more efficiently to good work, and I got knocked to the floor, and everything started to go black for a moment, before someone got up under my arm, urging me to fight on, and I felt strength and feeling return to my body. CLOSE ONE!

Once he went down, it turned out that we missed a room, all the way back at the beginning, where he'd been doing his experiments. One of his comments made sense then, about wanting some of our people for their 'parts', to make the ultimate creation ... as he had a lab with a FARKED up body he'd been trying to make into one of his abominations. We gathered up the loot and headed back, after that, and I brought Jonothan the body in question, so the church could know what's up with what comes crawling out of the sewers, should it happen again.

We got some gold and various trinkets out of it, and I ... I got a broken lance. On purpose, mind you. Something about it just ... called to me, and the moment I picked it up, I knew that I made the right choice. There was something .. holy about it, for a moment. Then, I felt the most crushing loss, like I'd been raised up to see my God, standing in his giant palm to be brought before his loving gaze ... only for him to drop me as he turned away.

Something is up with this, and Jonothan verified what I thought ... that I should hold onto it, use it if I can, and try to learn more. It's broken, blackened and charred, but harms undead with power divine. Perhaps it's something that can be restored, or redeemed ... and hey, if anyone could do that, it's a knight, right?

I think I need another pitcher of beer after this, but next time I write, I'm going to get to write about my first Inquisitorial Mission. The Blackcloaks, those Orphanage attacking Motherless whores to swine, got better than what they deserved by me being the one to find them.

First, beer.

• _One day, things will come together.

Albryanna told me that, I told me that, hells, even my fellow soldiers told me that, in various forms.

Yesterday was a day where I realized that, finally, it kind of has. Not that mine is a bad life, by any means. It's just that when your goals and training and circumstance all team up to visit on the same week, well, you can't help but sit up and notice.

I've always wanted to be a knight, and in joining the Knights Requietum, I had hoped that even though its not an 'official' knighthood, decreed by a King, it's the next best thing. I earned my place, am a sword sword-brother, and am going to make a name for us, dammit. Sure we've had our holes in the road, but our wagon isn't broken yet. With Shae back, perhaps we'll have a little more leadership traction to move on some things.

With Albryanna gone, I worried for a time that my training was going to fall back some, since she was my battle-buddy, my martial mentor, and together, we took on all comers, and came out ahead.

Usually.

Well, these days, it's Kat and company that I spend a bunch of time with, seeking out places to adventure, picking on everything from Bugbears to Hooked Horrors. Thousands of attacks to hone myself against, hundreds of nasty injuries, and so many potions drank later, it came to me, in the dark.

That feeling when you finally realize that you're seeing the hits before they come, and able to move out of the way JUST enough … that's where I've been wanting to be, and where I finally got to. It all just ... clicked. I'm faster, more nimble, as if I finally learned how to move in my armor. I can't wait to practice it some more on purpose, and see what kind of difference it makes.

Honestly, it seems like a good thing to practice with my new friend and his trainees. If I can hold the attention of an enemy, and have them do the heavy lifting with their skills, perhaps it'll be a -sustainable- edge, one where I'm not drinking more potions than a field drinks water.

Next step ... train my mind. I don't think that Cormyrean Purple Dragon Knight is going to be any less frosty and suddenly willing to teach me anything in particular, so for now ... my search will turn to two new realistic and attainable goals.

Time to rewrite the list.

1.) Figure out what to do with inquisitor armor. For now, I've got it stored in the Edge with Alvaniel. Check!

2.) Find that knight. Lady Irene of Cormyr. Frosty Lady saw fit to test me, at least, but either she wasn't impressed, or was just being polite. I won't take more of her time. I think I'll consider my knighthood goal mostly accomplished, as I got promoted in the Order.

3.) Acquire a requisition form from Magistrate Borodin. No dice yet, as she's been conspicuously absent. Rumors are flying about, however, so perhaps I should push the pen in her direction first and tell her what I've seen, to see if she has a preference of what I get up to, first.

4.) Finish reading the Peltarch Employee records and previous cases seen by the Magistrates to get familiar with case law. Done. I'm up to date, know where to find what there is to find, and can use both sources for future reference.

5.) Practice. Train. Progress. It's like I've Improved on my Expertise at getting the hell out of the way of the various pointy and sharp things coming my way. Now to figure out how to better be able to hit back while I'm busy getting my arse out of the way.

6.) Funds. Doing better, here. Not great, not rich, probably not even close to -enough- really, but it's a start. Be patient, be relentless, and get it done, Cecil.

7.) I need to copy that letter into here, and make some more copies for my companions, AND tell The Order about what I found in the crypts that day. You forgot -again-. Do this soon. Yesterday, preferably.

Time to go read up on the Order's tasks, and pick one to focus on. I think I'm going to try to visit those Gondians, next.

The Lion has blessed me, and I will make good on his investment._

• A list is jotted down in Cecil's journal.

_1.) Figure out what to do with inquisitor armor. Without my locker in Norwick being easily accessible, I have to either drop this off with Tindra to hold in there (Which Im sure Peltarchians would be THRILLED about their property being in a Norwick locker…), or find a locker or such of my own.

2.) Find that knight. Lady Irene of Cormyr. Wishing for your dream isn't gonna make it happen, stupid. Chase it. Hunt down leads. Ask questions. Do. Be.

3.) Acquire a requisition form from Magistrate Borodin. If I'm to do this job unimpeded, I'm going to need a set of keys to most of the stuff in Peltarch, so that I can't be stopped by a simple door. I mean, not that I can't just break those down, but I'm sure costing the city more money isn't going to win me any favors.

4.) Finish reading the Peltarch Employee records and previous cases seen by the Magistrates to get familiar with case law. There's remarkably few records about my magistrate, and even fewer that even -mention- inquisitors at all. I may need to learn subtlety to some degree ... or try to get a hint from Borodin that she's ready to shake things up with a change by assigning someone as blunt as myself to the position. I suppose we'll see.

5.) Practice. Train. Those gnolls have me an embarassingly hard time with Z and Merlyanna, and that sets a poor example, especially from a wannabe knight. I need to step up my game. Perhaps I need to look into these 'enchanters' I keep hearing about, and see about getting some stalwart defensive gear made. Which means ...

6.) Funds. Ask the magistrate if there's pay for the position, or funds to pull from for the purposes of gearing up to better perform the job. If not ... dedicate time each week to seek out lucrative endeavors. I have the potions stock to be able to travel and adventure now, so I should use it toward a goal. I'll need to remember the generosity of others, especially that fellow who gave me a 'Heal' potion in the market during the auction, as thanks for being the meatshield so many times. Aramis, was it?

7.) I need to copy that letter into here, and make some more copies for my companions, AND tell The Order about what I found in the crypts that day.
    If there truly IS a secret terror locked away, and something found out and is collecting the keys to be able to unleash it, I MUST stop it, and I'll need my allies to help me do it.

Time to get to work._

• _I've had some time to think. I've had some time to do a great deal more than JUST think, truth be told. I've TAKEN the time to think, set some time aside just for that, but I left a little time for adventure, too. Specifically, to the Silver Valley, and beyond!

A hin named Merlyanna, a devotee of the Hin Fist Monk Order apparently, is a descendant of folk from the Silver Valley. She traveled all the way here to lay her grandparent's ashes to rest, and invited some folks to go with her, mostly hin, to see her safely there. Mostly because those lands are no longer just the old Silver Valley … but instead, are Troll infested lands.

I unknowingly crashed the party, following adventurers down that way hearing "Oh, I'm sure everyone's welcome" from a voice or two, and figuring at worst, I'd take a walk past there if I couldn't tag along. I'm not one for hard feelings, and if I'd learned that she wanted a small private group for an obviously personal thing, well who could be offended at that!?

Visions assailed us once we got in, with the appearance of a strange fog that the casters couldn't find traces of magic in, and suddenly, we all saw different things. Those of us who had seen the valley, saw what we remembered. Those who had not, saw only ruins. I saw the valley after it had moved, close to Norwick, as I remembered it. It was strange, and interesting. Not as interesting as seeing Merlyanna's ancestor spirits though, show up and thank her for her dutiful care.

I hope that if I ever have children, they do half as much to remember and honor me, as she did for hers. I was exiled from my tribe, and although it was not a malicious act, and apparently the Lion meant MORE for me than what was there, I still can't really think of them with a particular fondness, or even remember most of their names. To get here, I walked along, and now, am anything but.

Speaking of not being alone, Merlyanna stayed and talked a while with a couple of us, afterward, once the battle with the Trolls was done, and I got to learn a little more about the hin fist ideology, and her own goals and aspirations. She shared freely, and was very nice to me throughout the whole time, perhaps because several of my right-sized companions refer to me as a "Dire Dire Hin" or as I call it, "The Direst of Hin", much to everyone's amusement. After hearing of her goals, then, I decided to help.

What better way to start, than to get familiar with the threats of the land, and see the sights for herself! I suggested that we show her around, and off we went, for what turned into a fairly epic jaunt, starting innocently through Norwick's south gate, and heading east intending to get to the graveyards. That was when we encountered a stranger, sitting meditateively on the ground, with four large boulders that were balanced each on a tiny rock below them, seeming to almost float there.

Merlyanna approached her, and then when prompted that she would only talk to a challenger, Merl did just that ,managing her actually strike her, which casued a great deal of surprise on the woman's face as she looked down at herself where she took the hit.

She chucked an amulet at Mer, and said to seek her out when she's stronger ... and to be honest, that influenced my decision a little. I had been in her place. I still AM in her place, wishing to prove myself, and become that which I've sought for so many years, and seeking out the training and experience to GET there. That being said, SO we went, through the graveyard and to the first crypt, the one that doesn't reach the Underdark.

I was explaining how undead were a pretty constant threat in Narfell, and that she'd have to devote at least some of her time and resources to dealing with them, when we saw it. A Tormtar, fallen, and a figure removing something from his person as he bled out at his feet.

The figure walked off, assuming safety on the other side of the gate, but being surprised to see me open the gate with the key I had on me already to pursue him when he didn't respond to commands to stop and identify.

Then the creatures attacked.

We slew them quickly, while one of our number, Roslyn I think I'd blame Unen, but I don't think he has the skill) , set a trap over the fallen man to be able to harm the creature if it came back for him ... but I don't think they thought that plan out very well.

A creature got close JUST as we were stabilising the man, and the electrical trap went off, nearly killing Merlyanna outright, and taking a heavy toll on me too, half killing me in an instant, it felt like.

It finished the work that the poisoned or cursed blade had started on the poor fallen Tormtar, but I found a note on him that chilled us to the bone. Apparently, he was one of the Divine Shield's four keepers of pieces of a key ... and what it held was terrible. I'll copy the letter here later, but it's important that I seek out these others, and prevent this ... creature from taking them. Who knows what's locked away._

Cecil Dog-ears this page, and moves onto the next one to continue

_We moved on from there to check the other crypt, peek at the Hobgoblin woods, and say hello to the ghost wolves, doing my best to explain the dangers in all of my old patrol route areas, and show her what's where, how to deal with teh various threats, and eventually ending up coming the secret route from the goblin hold through the spider woods, ending in a very difficult fight against the Gnolls, by which point there were only three of us left. Me, Z, and Merlyanna, Unen and Ros having taken off long before.

We made it through, found a little treasure here and there on various bodies of the fallen, and ended our jaunt atop the Witch and Seer Tavern.

I hope that Merlyanna felt that she learned from the experience, and like to think that I made a new friend. From the reception that I got from a Troff Legionnaire when we got to the Bluff before her family quest, I'm going to need more friends to stand with me. Apparently, my Magistrate arrested this man's brother back in the N'Jast incident, or another, and he called her plenty of names, going so far as to try to challenge me, saying that I'm "Peltarch" and not welcome here, as if I represent all that is bad about the city.

Not bad for my first weeks in my new assignment, right?

Theaon shut the man down and sent him away for the moment, while saying that he would check into the other guard's comment that said brother had been caught stealing rations during said war … so maybe this is just another case of people not liking the magistrate because THEY were at fault.

I've read her reports, her previous judgements, and the other Magister's reactions to her verdicts ... and so far, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Unorthodox? Sure. Cruel? Hardly. I think she went plenty easy on plenty of people, and she may seem cold, but a sadist she is not. At least not on paper.

I have a lot to learn, and catch up on, but I'm making my way steadily through it. NOW, however, I have a personal lead to chase. A mission.

I heard that a Purple Dragon Knight of Cormyr, a REAL one, is in Peltarch, and I think I saw her once, too. I just wasn't sure if she was a rela one, or just employing their look, since nobody really enforces the copying of a uniform or look around here.

Her name is Lady Irene.

I plan on finding her, and asking for her to train me in the ways of knights. Hoping and wishing don't get you anywhere. I'm a soldier, and it's time I resumed acting like one. Besides, if I'm going to keep setting myself in front of people to protect them, I'd may as well look to the examples from the stories, right?

Time to go find myself a knight._

• _Well, that was interesting.

Lot to catch up on here, so I may be brief, for once.

I'm currently lugging around a suit of plate, one that I would have jumped in front of a speeding runaway wagon for years ago, with a minor armor enchantment on it. It's my official inquisitor's plate, and it's kind of awesome. Now, however, without a locker? I'm -real- heavy.

Not that I can't carry it freely and run around still, but it IS going to put a cramp in my orc-fighting profits if I have to use strength potions just to move about.

I'm also heavily loaded down with potions! There was an auction, and I came out of it with a bunch of nice scrolls, many of which I shared with Willow for some coin back. I also let her have the pack, since I won another auction item later, with potions.

I didn't get the ultimate prize, which Relin won … which was SO MANY critical curative potions. He had as many of those as I have little goblin potions ... which is a LOT. That was from a fun little jaunt through the goblin hold and mines. Good group of folks on that trip, and I had a lot of fun. Thankfully, some bartering was available after the auction, so for once, I'm comfortably stocked, not just with 'enough', but with some to spare!

That's a relief, because I used a LOT of them on an adventure recently, where apparently, a long-dead bard named "Clandra", winged now, appealed to some adventurers to help her reclaim some lost tome of dance, or something. It was going to lead us into and past bugbear territory, which is a horrible idea, and I apparently said as much ... and then was convinced otherwise, charmed.

The trip itself was fine for a while. Harpies and Wyverns, and then an adult GREEN DRAGON, attacked. Several times, however ... I kept being beseiged by visions of Ashena. She was dying in childbirth while I watched, helpless. My companions were attacking her, murdering her while I stood by, helpless ...

My mind was not my own, for a time. My group shied away from me, and I didn't have enough resources to keep a mental shield up at all times, so things got ... tense.

And then we got to Dun Tharos, after meeting up with some ... strange, eldritch, serpent. He kicked our asses during a brief and confused scuffle, then deigned to speak to us, pointing us in the right direction, which was across a chasm. We felled a tree to make a bridge, and THEN hit Dun Tharos, which had a bunch of these Volodni plant guys, poisoning lots of us, and being a general pain in the ass.

We got to a temple, and encountered spirits, and something somebody called "Blightlords", which were powerful foes, who we just barely beat ... and ended up losing poor Carol to, in the process.

All for a farkin' book, one that I tried to dissuade people from going after in the first place.

When we got back, Vick demanded the truth from the winged bitch, which is when I found out that I'd been tampered with, and I lost my cool. She said to check with Shannon that she's not an enemy, and people were saying they know of her, and all kinds of chaos, while some of the party held the book over a fire til she'd admit the truth ... and then she tried to snatch it, flying at us.

I hit her with my sword, and tried to arrest her after Aramis caught her ... but of course, she teleported away from under my arm.

Bitch.

I was upset, and feeling betrayed by having my head messed with, leading to awful visions of seeing Ashena, so I'm sure I acted rashly ... but still. Who DOES that?

Oh yeah, beings that are no longer mortal. No better than the vampires, some of them.

I think I've rambled on this long enough. I'm going to go have an ale, visit the temple of the Triad, and hang around the tourney grounds after. I need to get my head checked again, just to be sure there's no lingering influences ... and I want to see if there's anybody about who can help me with training in the knightly disciplines.

I need to be better than this._

• _It seems so far, that the 'Job', is as I thought. Not exactly something I'll be doing every day in any active sense, but rather keeping my eye on situations, and reporting appropriately when and where needed, until I am tasked.

To that end, I've been spending most of my time in Peltarch, naturally, and was around when the rumors of an undead Wyvern started popping up. Nobody seems to have gotten to tangle with it much, as it seems to flee when confronted, and vanish.

Verika, the shop owner if I'm not mistaken, apparently had the best info about it, and after spotting it with us after a scout's report of it being near, figured out that it's been jumping the cliff to swim downstream … where the water connects to the underside of Jiyyd!

So ... of we went to Jiyyd. I'm happy to report that things look pretty demon-free there lately, but stragglers come and go, so I won't be taking any unnecessary risks anytime soon, for certain. Aside from this one, of course ... or the walk I took to try to get that way a day later, to see if the Trolls could be convinced to die or get out of my way while I explore.

Back to the Wyvern, though ... Verika was right. Sure enough, after fighting back some of those little winged solider demons and dretches, we came across a spot inthe water that rippled strangely, and saw where the creature had dragged itself out of the water, to lair near that little ramp with the altar.

Then the strangest thing happened.

Wyverns are violent and snappy. Undead are generally hungry for living flesh and making others join them in death ... but this thing, even when I got right in it's face, didn't do a thing!

I paused just long enough to have the magic users dispel it, and check it for odd magicks, just to make sure I wasn't about to crush the victim of a curse or something ... which actually ended up earning me mockery, instead of the opposite.

"I thought your little Order was supposed to be a bunch of undead slayers! What are you waiting for?"

That's annoying, but I answered that I'm not ALWAYS a hit first, ask questions later, type ... and finally laid into the thing, after making sure that I was blocking as much of it's path of escape as possible.

It worked, and I am happy to report that my stock of potions and such came in handy, as it wasn't able to hurt me much ... which I can't say for some of the others in the group, who got promptly chewed on when they got too close, once or twice.

Nobody bit it, so I guess that counts as a win all around, which is good enough for me. I collected some samples while I'll be passing onto the Cerulean Knights, just in case they're able to track the source of the critter, but I don't think they're going to find much.

A gnome wizard fella, apparently named Filifred, I've seen around a bit since, and he had some insight.

Apparently, the general knowledge behind things like this, is that a created undead is pretty stupid, unless given specific instructions or training or the like. If the creator is KILLED, you basically have a big dumb husk sitting about, with a few vestiges of it's past life to guide it, at best.

I'm sure I'm oversimplifying it, but that's enough to be useful for me, so there I have it.

As for that Filifred guy ... I went on a bit of a jaunt through all the lizards since he wanted to go down there and explore ... and the little bastard used a chain lightning spell with me in the middle of four enemies!

Granted, I'm not the most convenient guy to cast around, since I'm almost ALWAYS in the middle of a group of enemies, but still. Why that spell!? I got my ass shocked, prompting me to lose my concentration, and get hit more, even though he DID manage to kill a couple with the spell.

The others in the group included Vick the Far Scout, who ... while he's good at being unseen, and can REALLY fark up something's day with a well placed shot, can't really stand in front of a warrior lizard and not get his ass beat up, and could probably work on his running skills. Though, with him protecting the other two, which were the mage and Carol, a pretty bard girl, I get why he stood when he stood on occasion.

Overall, I think I spent about 3000 coin worth of potions on that trip alone ... for about 300 in profit.

Hells.

The orcs were, as usual, accommodating for getting me out of the poor house before I have to arrest myself for vagrancy, but still. I either need to hone my skills to the point where I can get smacked about a LOT less, or hope that this inquisitor job comes with a potions ration or something.

Note to self, reload your Blunderbuss before you go out again. That thing's more useful than you give it credit for.

Hopefully the magistrate gets my recent letter, and I have some direction soon ... otherwise, I guess I'll keep focusing on adventuring, seeing how far I can go to new places, and learning the secret places in the land.

I wonder who I'll be going with next?_

• _Reading over my past writing, I realize that from an outside perspective, I basically wrote down a whole host of things that could easily, and with a little creativity, become goals.

Looking ahead, to these goals, is going to be key, moving forward, I think. Perhaps I'll keep a separate journal, specifically for my thoughts and notes during my active role as an Inquisitor.

For now, however, I think it best to keep a separate journal, a separate "me", and the folded note between this page and the next helped with that decision.

The past is important, even in the now. Do not forget that._

@eb701cb55c:

Mister Cecil,

It is always a bittersweet occurrence when the departure of a valued and honored comrade transpires. I am thrilled to see you moving on and chasing new opportunities that you will most certainly excel at, yet saddened that the Norwick Guard has lost such a fine man. If you ever find yourself questioning your decision to move on to new and exciting things, remember that life is fleeting, and that this decision will provide new adventures and challenges you would otherwise not experience. Never regret this decision.

It has been an honor to serve by your side, and I wish the best for you in your new endeavors. If there ever comes a time where you require my assistance in either a professional or personal capacity, do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you for your steadfast dedication to Norwick.

Very respectfully,

Hannibal

_In one way, this letter make me deeply miss Norwick, all at once, to the point of nearly taking my horse down there just to spend some time in familiar territory.

But then what happens if someone asks for help, or the guard is needed? I don't need to go getting comments from D'Cameron, or looks of betrayal from the younger folks. Nor do I need more more reasons to second-guess myself. I'm going to need to be a LOT more sure of myself in this role, and the appropriate powers that come with it. Gods I hope I'm ready for this.

In another way, this letter held much needed validation. Hannibal didn't guilt me, or express disappointment in me, or devalue my future pursuits. That strengthens my belief that I am leaving the place in good hands, even without me. I retained a friend and comrade, and feel better about the decision now than I have at any point thus far.

This is good. I can move forward more confidently now, and am looking forward to my first new assignment.

I should go talk to someone about warding documents against prying eyes. I have a feeling I should keep the other journal much more safe._

• _In the quiet of the inn, I find myself with a pitcher of ale, a couple of destroyed inn meals, and a bit of quiet background noise, which at this moment, is those waitresses who must think me half deaf from my noisy armor.

They chatter away about everything, and makes me realize that I'm going to need to spend more time in places like this, to pick up rumors and the like, if I'm going to be any good at my new job. Sure, I know that I got hired because I'll likely make a good blunt instrument … but I would rather surprise her, and everyone else, by being legitimately good at the job.

That's what I did in Norwick.

The chatter started the day I got the letter, sitting across from the Magistrate, somehow managing not to flip the table on her when my chair unexpectedly broke underneath me. I'd say it was a pain in the ass, but my armor prevented any unfortunate splintering, so it I'll leave it as an inconvenience.

The girls saw the note pass, overheard our conversation, and now stare and stop what they're doing for a moment every time I walk in. I cannot help but wonder if it's because they're afraid of Borodin, or unsure of me ... or something else altogether?

Probably the first two.

Now, as I sit in my new home, I have time to reflect on the past ... but I can't. The future is what's important, so I need to write down some goals, some ... thing, to keep me going in the right direction. I swore to myself already, that this would not change me from being me, except to improve me. I fear not being labeled "Lap Dog." I'm a soldier, and I intend to act like it, even if I relinquished my former position.

Which makes me think. How are people going to react?

I think the Knights will see it as a good thing, at least from the Top, as I'll have greater access to information, supplies, and authority to act on things, and will therefore be able to help point US in the right directions too.

Caling specifically ... I don't have a handle on. She showed some trust in me, but with other comments, I can't help but think it was a test. How do some people even keep track of these webs they weave?

Keerla and I talked too, and I still have absolutely zero handle on her, either. She seems mostly motivated by feelings, and impulse, and shows an unwavering loyalty to her 'friends', though as evidenced recently, perhaps her friendship comes too easily.

Laerune.

Dammit all to the hells, Laerune.

From bitching me out in the Ogre Woods after I yelled at you first (Admittedly), to actually -enjoying- fighting by you on another occasion or two, to to suspecting your motives and perhaps everything about you, to your confession, you haven't given anybody time to keep up, or learn the real you. IS there a real you, currently? Or is it just the most recent reaction to your circumstances, as the only thing we can see?

I haven't visited her in jail, because I know that she'll immediately assume I'm there to "I told you so" her, or suspect something else. I voted to have her out of the Knights, but that's problematic too! Suppose her act of turning herself in, and contrition, and being ready to accept consequences, is genuine? Then we're doing her a disservice in shunning her, and hindering her becoming the person she may want to be, and that we would ultimately prefer.

On the other hand, regardless of whether or not she meant it ... if we don't boot her, then where's the standard? Our reputation hadn't had time to be established before the big fat stain on it, would keeping her make it worse?

How the HELL do you make a decision between the individual, and the organization? Usually, I choose the individual. As hard as a group is to set up and maintain, large things are hard to kill, and can survive shit from individuals. Those, though ... are easily lost, swayed, influenced, and harmed. They, therefore, require more loyalty, care, and work.

If you train an army, the weak need to be taken care of my the strong, even in the ranks. The goal, is to get everybody strong together. Sure, you can simply BOOT the undesirables ... but then you need to replace them. Lifting up the ones who need help makes more sense, for both the time, AND the money, in the investment. It also gains a MUCH more loyal soldier, to have had help instead of being forsaken. Those are the soliders who would die for their city, their men, their beliefs.

Tindra, one of the leaders, is in a shitty spot. People are going to look to her for advice. People are going to hold HER accountable. The purpose of having multiple leaders, was to keep everything from being on one, and prevent shutdown if one went MIA for a while, but with Aoth leaving (Which I totally respect, and cannot fault her for), and Shae unavailable, it falls solely on her.

Normally, I'd step up. It's what I did in Norwick. It's what I do on patrols, or adventure, when leadership falters. I'm not a very charismatic leader, but people seem happy to let me do so anyone on occasion, which is good enough for now.

But now, I've set Norwick behind me, and have a new path. A new path, with new goals, new expectations, and new alliances. Will Vick keep offering advice, because he likes me? Will I still catch shit from people for being in the Order, despite my new position?

How are being even going to REACT to that? I know of a few Peltarch folks who are going to think it odd that I'd ditch Norwick to come work for the city, and think he some kind of allegiance flipping merc, but those ones can go sod off. I'm more worried about the ones who will see me as some simple to fool country rube, and try to use me to position themselves in some kind of advantage.

I think Kathea is going to make approving noises, and make those almost discomforting stares in my direction, like she's either trying to imagine me out of my armor, or imagine what I'd look like skinned. I can never really tell which look it is. Both make me vaguely uncomfortable.

Rasuil will probably laugh, and make the lap dog comment, but mean nothing ill by it.

Aoth may caution me not to be used as a pawn, but offer no real tips on how to avoid it .

Ros will make a dick joke.

Most importantly ... what will Ashena think?

It's been some time since her last letter, and I hope all is well.

I should put this quill down before I need to open another pot of ink, and I fear my fingers are going to keep these stains forever already. I wonder if inquisitors have to write a lot of reports..._

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ryM7fEYVs - Accompanying music

_It's been many moons since I've heard the voice of the Lion. Still, I know he watches. The last battle where I was sure that I saw him, that he fought beside me in more than just my mind, was years past.

When a Lion matures, it makes it's own pack.

Is that what's happening, now?

Much has happened, of late, and now I teeter on the brink of decisions. So much has changed, and yet if I look behind me, so little came of it.

Norwick is still Norwick. It's a little less brutal since my arrival, a little more restrained and just, and a little more welcoming in general. It's amazing what smacking some heads around will do, which is baffling in it's irony!

Now, I hear the drums of war on the wind, rumors of the return of the Creel, even while I'm stuck in my own battles. Battles at home, fought without swords, but instead with words and rumors and secrets, and lies.

I joined the Knights Requietum, for my want to be a knight, but also … in my wish to DO MORE. That in itself has been a battle. A battle of will, and wits, and patience, and trust. The battle is far from over, at the moment, as well. I will not walk away from it just yet. Not when there is yet a way to win this fight.

As for my home ... as much as it pains me to say it, neither I, nor Norwick, have that much to offer one another. They keep me in a job, I do the job, and keep them in good standing with others as an added bonus. I do, however, think they'll do just fine without me, especially given that I'll hopefully leave behind a legacy of good discipline, and good deeds.

Good is such a strange term, too. Why would anybody NOT do good? It feels good to do, and is usually helpful in the long-term, too. Sure, it's WAY more likely to be remembered if you wrong someone, but it's also way more likely to be something positive if you help someone. That's simple enough that I understood it, even before I left the tribe.

I'm a storm of emotions right now, as I make this decision. After the trial, which ended in the most surprising fashion I could imagine, I was approached by Lady Vlana Borodin, Magistrate of Peltarch. Yes, that one. "The Viper", by her unlikely to be said to her face nickname.

Supposedly, she has a habit of turning parties judged as guilty, to stone. She's not the pious type of magistrate like Shannon, and she frankly unsettles me slightly, but in a way that I can't help but respect her forthright attitudes, and intelligence. These are all good things, in my eyes, especially given the talks of 'leadership' I've had with people lately, where the biggest problems that seem to crop up, are a lack of it.

Perhaps it's time I grow, learn some new things, put myself in a new environment, and see what shakes loose. Perhaps the Lion will see fit to walk beside me still, or give me a sign if I've made a mistake that will take me from the path He wants me on.

This letter beside me has that. A new path. A place to grow. I will find new foes, uncover secrets, and be a force for righting wrongs, if I'm lucky. If I'm not, then perhaps the Magistrate's reference made by another inquisitor will show it's face. I don't know how much I'd enjoy being a "LapDog."

I pity the lap that tries to pull ME in. It was bad enough when my chair broke under me while looking at the letter she passed over to me._

The page is creased, and returned to later, obviously, written in new ink, darker, and fresh.

_Inquisitor Cecil Northman. Fancy that. A new job, a new path, a new life, even.

Time to see what's next, and pray that I can do and be the good I wish to see in the world.

Perhaps these writings will serve me again one day, should I ever lose sight of who I am, and what I stand for.

Until then … May the Lion keep me._

• _What do you do, when you're asking for help by a hin fellow, looking for another hin fellow, that turns into an awkward manhunt in a bar with less than savory entertainment?

Apparently, ring up over a half-a-thousand gold bar tab while looking for clues, and discover that youe leads … led you to an old companion, and to dusting off the ole Planar Adventuring gear.

Things got weird, with some legless floating weirdo attacking people in the docks, and abducting them with his ... apparently pocket-plane-balls, which some of the others involve calling them poke balls. I think that just sounds uncomfortable. . .

We found the missing hin WITH Roderick, of course, have a solid lead on the case itself, and got everything we could take care of, taken care of. The rest for now, is the wait. We need to wait to see if one of those balls can generate an 'address' in Roderick's machine, which he apparently completed after I managed my mission of getting acid for him, for the power source.

He let us test the machine, too... putting us in something he called a 'simulation' which ... admittedly, didn't work so well. We still got rewarded for our troubles, and everyone survived, so at least there's that. Overall, some were impressed, others not so much, but now my little secret's out, so we'll see if I get any questions about that, or if people will just take it all in stride that I'm pals with a plane-striding fellow with Godlike machines, and a penchant for mystery.

I hope Ashena returns from yet another trip to her family's holdings again, soon. I think she would absolutely love Roderick's adventures, and I would love to see her around to witness the end of the demons and the like.

Perhaps soon._

• _It's been some time since writing, but my time has not been spent idly.

With Albryanna gone to be Helm's eternal Watcher, she's left her possessions to me to have an auction, and see that the proceeds go to worthy causes as I see fit. I'd complain of the burden of responsibility, but complaining isn't my style.

If I DID complain of anything, it would be at the lack of accountability in the Requietum. Purviews are being ignored for the sake of people being scared that we're just going to solve everything with the sword, which is foolish. The whole purpose of this coalition was to broaden the aspects that the old group once covered, and NOT fall prey to rash and zealot-driven decision.

Some of the members seem like they're constantly hiding things, which makes me nervous. Already, every time there's mention of the group in public, I hear suspicion. If not suspicion, then dount as to it's efficacy.

I'm wondering if I jumped too fast at the opportunity, but part of me thinks I need to treat it like I did the militia. I wasn't going to change the history of heavyhanded thugishness that we were known for in a night. But enough stepping in when I saw it, speaking out against it's continuation, and showing people the opposite, seems to have had an effect. It took years, but it worked. Will the same work here, or will I make a better change by leaving until they've worked out a system of accountability, rather than letting things be run haphazardly, with disregard to roles, codes, and actual purpose?

For now, the most important task at hand, is preparation. I've made an announcement to the Militia, and hope that Hannibal returns soon, reads over my words, and says much the same to the townsfolk.

Rass the Red Dragon, appears to be back, and is nesting in the old Gypsy Camp, with her own tribesman followers patrolling the roads and attacking those who venture near. I've had the patrols shift some priorities, asked the scouts to keep an eye on the North Borders, and inquired into the state of our fire response process, to make sure that if somebody does piss her off, and leads her HERE, we're better prepared for what comes.

A Red Dragon in the lands is concerning enough, but knowing full well that Ky the White Dragon has claim on lands very nearby, has me much more concerned about what's going to happen when those two inevitably disagree on territory claims.

This should be fun…_

• An MCPlay approved account of a character who didn't get to be in the latest demon event.

_Today, was the day I've waited for. For quite some time, I've been on the sidelines of this demon mess, and today, I got to make a difference.

Granted, I had a dragon on my side, and a mage of miss Maria's power, and -then- some, so it wasn't exactly what I had pictured this fight looking like, but it was close enough!

Apparently, rumors of a Balor (Or Balord as the red haired Druidess called it) guarding a lich's phylactery had led us all to Jiyyd, and down into the ole destroyed Dwarf temple. I don't know what happened down there except that they brought out some bodies of their fallen, including that little Druidess, but said that they had succeeded.

For us, outside, it was also a success. A success in that nobody fell, but not for a lack of effort on the demons part. The group had assembled, and the mage looked at us, and told us that once the group entered the caves, that the demons were sure to have noticed us all now, and would attack once they figured out that we knew what we were after.

I guess we're just lucky that they didn't clue in -before- we all had time to assemble!

It started with the sky going darker, and filling with shrieks. I was about to roar back at them, and had JUST set my feet to take the weight of descending, screaming, demon … when that DRAGON that the mage and Druid lady had with us, Roared first.

Demons scattered, and their attack which had looked SO planned, like a dozen diving hawks, was chaotic and ineffective. The fight was on!

Archers loosed arrows, fighters rushed the landed foes, and in the distance, we could hear the sounds of pounding feet and flapping wings, gnashing teeth and scraping claws. This was merely the faster of the forces to take us on, it was clear ... and the real fight was going tobe on us far too soon.

I hoped that the group in the tunnels had rear guards, in case we fell ... and had no more time for thoughts as those daring sword-wielding demons ran in, their wings propelling them faster than a normal man can run, and then I did all of my thinking with my sword.

I admit, I considered my axe and my shield, but if I had to bleed a bit more to kill these things faster, then less of us would fall. With that plan firmly in mind, I set to swinging.

I am sure that the Lion was behind me, this day. My feet found purchase everywhere I stepped, despite the blood slick ground, my sword struck true again, and again, and again, and my allies were beside me, behind me, and in front of me. They fought, they screamed, they healed, the fought some more, they bled, and they killed ... when someone fell, they were quickly revived before it was too late to save them, and dragged back to safety to regroup. When someone got too far forward and began to get surrounded, several of us fought our way to them, and were rewarded with the backs of overeager enemies.

We made good use of that, reformed ranks, and resumed the battle. I nearly fell once, against one of the larger ones, hit with their spell and beset by their claws. I stood there, stunned while I was taking blows, and my eyes cleared just in time to see my own blood in the way of them, which I wiped clear, took a breath to make my last stand with a deifant roar and buy just a little more time, and then everything went white for that bright moment when you're healed by such a powerful spell that your world shakes.

Dismay crossed the demon's features, wiping off the victorious rictus of crooked teeth and slavering tongue. A cry of pain issued forth from the very same maw as my sword bit true, once, twice, and arrows struck it distractingly in the side of it's big stupid head. Now, it was making ITS last stand, and as I stepped back in case it fell, it RUSHED forward as if to chase me in desperation to not let me escape.

Mistake.

Wide open. An opportunity. It's giant running steps to cut me off left it open, both of it's clawed hands raised ... so I swung like a child playing with a stick and ball, and cleaved through the great big thing, taking my sword through IT and into the next foe who decided on the worst possible time to come at my side and flank me, who got a face full of steel for his trouble.

The rest of the fight was a similar blur of events to this, but only one big guy was mine along to fight past that point. We survived, bloodied and laughing, while the victors from the cave exited the cave. We split then, to recover in Jiyyd, and drink to our victory.

I hope the dead were raised, and returned, to continue this fight. I am not part of the planning meetings, so I don't know what else there is to do ... but I am sure this isn't yet over.

I'll be ready._

• _These past days, have been a whirlwind. Not like the graceful sort of Yana's fists, or Shallyah throwing both herself into her axe into the are into a spinning Maelstrom of grace and death.

No, it's more like MY kind of whirlwind. Everything's just going full speed, no holding back, and if it hits something, it goes THROUGH and into the next thing, and if it makes it through -that- one, then the one after IT gets some too. I'm working to become stronger still, to make the best use of this skill of mine, which lead me to two things.

One … a childhood dream.

Ever since the caravan days, the Long Walk that I took from my Illuskan Black Lion tribe, I had a dream. My tribe was one of the few who didn't reject our old ways, and stayed on the move, in the wilds, rather than become our own version of 'city people'. I was exiled for failing my test of manhood, but perhaps only because the Lion's paws led me to Narfell, which may have been the plan all along? I never doubt the wisdom of the Lion, for he has SHOWN himself to me many times ... and in times like this, where decisions lay heavy on my head, I wonder if that old bugbear seer Cravagh is still around, and still watching my fate. If he is, I wonder what he'd say, as I said, "I accept" to Lady Shae.

I have always wanted to be a knight. Being a lowborn barbarian, I knew it was always unlikely, but this is a land of heroes, of destinies. There are possibilities of befriending dragons, meeting men who travel the planes, and recruit from each of the places they go to, and powers of every shape, size, and color effect to be slung about by people with more magic in them than my huge self has blood.
    Now, I have a chance. I'm sure there are those who will argue that not coming from a king it cannot be a 'true' knighthood, whatever that's supposed to mean. I hope that the group gains legitimacy, and succeeds in its mission and cause ... but I also hope that -I- gain more legitimacy, and perhaps one day, realize one of my dreams. That brings me to the second thing ...

Opposition. The Adventuring group that I went on a trip with into the giantspires was large, and somewhat powerful ... but it had a few things wrong with it. One, some of the people there had NO Business facing such foes as giants and, let's be honest, Ogres, which are far worse. Better equipped, large numbers, better trained, the whole deal. I saved three lives, that trip, purely by virtue of listening for the death scream of someone mortally wounded that didn't sound ogreish ... and having damned healing balms on me. And lots of other healing potions, too, which I kept having to give out, highlighting the next thing wrong. Preparation!

So many of the folks who went on a trip that everyone described as dangerous, didn't even bring potions. OR they claimed not to have brought them, and were just quicker to use someone else's hard earned coin rather than their own.

Don't get me wrong, I get the allure of adventure, and desire to test one's strength, to see new places. I really, truly, do. The problem is when that's not tapered with a little common farkin sense. Come on, this is coming from the backwoods glacier born barbarian, people! I wanted to be a knight, so I learned to read. I wanted to be a knight, so I learned the greatsword instead of the axe. I wanted to be a knight, so I wear steel instead of leather. And I wanted to be a knight, so I became a SOLDIER first!

I like to think that gives me a little credibility in knowing my limits, being able to call out tactical decisions, and know when one can take or avoid risks ... but on an adventure like this, each person apparently knows best. We fought more ogres than we had to, got dispelled, pummeled, axed, and harried all the way to this 'lava cave' that I'd never seen before ... and then of course, the ill prepared to be there, wanted to go back right away. "We saw it, let's go!"

Apparently, I'm just going to have to bring Albryanna, some potions, a mage to counterspell all the damned dispels, and perhaps one more, a scout, and go back to go all the way this time. My ring lets me resist the stifling heat of that place, so the only thing holding me back from learning more, experiencing a new environs to fight in, was unprepared people.

And being bitched at the whole way there and back? That got old, fast. I have to remember to ask Shae if that unpleasant woman is to be part of the Order, too. I had felt honored upon invitation at first, especially since she'd apparently heard of me before hand, but now I'm wondering if she was as judicious with her picking as it seemed.

The rude woman said something about being honored to fight alongside people who knew the blade well as I was leaving, but I did not trust myself to say anything other than a generic 'likewise', and leave before I told her how I was actually feeling about her running commentary.

Next time I go someplace like that, if unknown entities are joining up, I'm dropping out, and taking whoever's with me, with me. There was nearly several losses of life, all preventable by them being people who can survive more than one of two throwing axe wounds, or people who know to get in the way of the ogre chasing the scout, rather than chasing the scout themselves, and keeping the ogre on said scout's tail.

By the LION I was frustrated. Lion grant me patience, Lion grant me peace. I'll save my rage, my boiling blood, for the real enemies.

I'll try anyway. I hope that they don't get it in their heads to try me further.

Kind of._

• _Well, dusting this thing off out of my locker …

Today, I was a snack for a vampire. In front of half a dozen people, not all of whom were on board to help, since I shittalked the vamp, knowing what she was pretty quickly.

Apparently to some, the enemy of your enemy is your ally, if not your friend... and they took the 'threat' of Quentin popping back up again, and Bodaks with him, to be worth the risk of playing a vampire's game of questionable ally.

If we beat their opponent, we take a threat away from them, and us ... but they don't KNOW this other threat. They don't actually have proof that it's truth, though it may well be, but completely discounted the fact that they're dealing with a creature that sees us as playthings, and lesser than.

They only stopped to consider my point of view after I explained by stance, being that vampires have been my foe for a very long time, especially since one cut my fiancee, Ashena, in half with the very sword I now carry, Watcher. I was annoyed, and perhaps spoke too harshly, prompting one of them to comment about how she wanted out of the way before I settle the argument with my huge sword.

I doubt they were around in the days when Norwick had a bit of a Tyrant for a leader, and the guards were thugs and drunk on power. Does that reputation still linger, despite the work I've done to change it?

I was struck by a glowing hand spell, held in place with a hold spell, and then feasted on not once or twice, but thrice. Janick, the Lathanderite priest, stated that by all rights I should have been dead. And he's right. She was powerful, and vicious. I have her name now, though, and Maria's placed a 20,000 gold bounty for her dead. 5000 from Norwick for any vamp killed helps that.

I'd love to collect it myself, but I'll need a hell of a lot better preparation for the likes of her. I need to find out the cost of Silver fullplate with all the undead I face, but that cost is daunting. Maybe if I get the bounty, it can be a reality ... but my hopes are low indeed, for now.

Bit by Amelia Magnus. Part of Liderc's crew. All afraid of fire, like Liderc.

I'll need to report that finding to Hannibal properly. At the very least, I met a vampire hunter, Yulia, and made sure to tell Hannibal to make her quite welcome, and to keep folk out of her way. If she lives up to her reputation, we'll need her. I know I need the help, especially with people questioning the trustworthiness of the likes of vampires.

That's scary enough as it is. How do I fix that without alienating people?

I need to rest, this is too much for now. At least I made a new friend, in Basilah. Perhaps in time she'll help with the vampires, being a priestess. For now, I'll help her train and learn the land, and see how she does.

Time to go write reports. I'm already ink-stained, dammit. I need to practice this more._

• _Will wonders never cease?

You know when you're in the right place, at the right time, with just the right thing in your pocket? Sometimes, I do. Sometimes, it means the different between life and death, and not just for myself, either.

I met up with Dondiah, and she was worried. She hadn't seen her wolf friend in quite some time, and wanted to find him, so I suggested that we check the Druid glen. Ronan was helpful, but uncovered something odd about the little furry friend we knew, and was unable to call or locate him. Strange, but I had a backup.

I called on the Lion, sacrificed a meal and some blood, and asked for help. I relayed our wishes, and we waited, while the offering burnt deliciously.

Time passed, rain started, and silence was all around, until it was broken by panting nearby. It had worked! Dondiah was beside herself with joy, and we were officially on a search-quest!

We traveled past town, through the pass, and then … toward Jiyyd.

"Awwww shit" was all I could think, but I checked my well stocked pack, and nodded. Whatever came, I was just about as ready as I could be. We set out, and were immediately swarmed by winged horrors, the hard to hit little bastards.

We fought them for what seemed like, and very well may have been hours. Dondiah never showed signs of tiring, nor did her companion, so I couldn't either! I kept going, almost falling into a routine... when it appeared.

A Hezrou.

It stood by, amused, and watched, and then shouted at us, as if mocking us, before charging in. I turned, ignoring the flapping idiots that could barely scratch me when they did manage to flail close enough in my general direction ... and struck out at our new foe, shouting to the Lion to preserve me.

With Ashena by my side, such a thing is not scary, provided I have some mind protection and healing handy... but to take the time with foes all around to do these things would prove difficult.

No sooner did I land a tiny little cut in it's hide, worrying me immediately, than it crushed my pauldron side, and nearly batted me to the ground. That gave me a fine cut underneath it's clawed arm, which DID hurt it plenty, but still. I was clearly going to have my work cut out for me.

Pack... pack... what's in my pack?

As I fought, I let my training and reflexes take over, while my mind scoured my belt, pouches, and pack. What would help me most? AHA!

I downed a HEAL potion after nearly getting broken in half by missing a block, taking a full powered hit from the beast, but to my credit, it looked surprised to see me still standing!

I took that moment to chug a Greater Stoneskin potion, the ROARED in it's face, taking adventage of the free protection, and dropping my guard to attack it full force. It staggered under the assault, and could only land paltry blows on me, the stoneskin bouncing it's claws away with no more than a minor irritation.

It backed up, then, but I followed, wings still beating around my head as Dondiah ducked her previous foes, and joined in against the big one, shrugging off the blows it dealt her as it turned to try and take out the less stony target. That, was a mistake. Distracted, it suddenly made for a very easy target, and I laid into it, cleaving through it's arm at the shoulder, into it's next, and right through a very surprised horror-critter in the wrong place at the wrong time!

We laughed as we cut down the last few, and walked past Jiyyd toward Ormpur with our confidence intact.

I'll finish this later, I think. I have a whole pack of ales with my name on them, as a reward to myself! I can't wait to tell Ashena!_

• _Time passes, yet some things remain the same.

I'm still with Ashena, though we've yet to marry. Duty, and two cities, are complicating things. I wonder what her parents are thinking!

I still go out and adventure, and that's what led me to the orc caves within the snow-covered giantspires. It was quite the group we had, too. Moon, myself, Raryldor, Troff, Sirion, and others, all along to go kick some orcish arse. Winterwolves swarmed us, orcs charged us, yet we cut through pretty much everything with very little trouble, despite not finding what we sought.

Giants.

There had been reports of them lurking in the aptly named giantspires, and apparently others found battle with them at least once. I was looking forward to the chance to see them myself, but it did not come. Instead, we ended up in thei lair of an orc named Grishnak Elfslayer, whose orcs ended up proving his name apt, as Troff fell in the ensuing chaos.

It wasn't Grishnak's doing, though.

Mages. Waves of fire raining down on us, bolts finding their marks unerringly, one after the other, after the other, they fell. Sirion nearly fell as well, but was picked up in time to continue the fight. I was held in webs, thankfully close enough to hit a Shaman with a seven foot sword, though, before he could get off any crushing spells.

It was a tough fight, and fun at first, but not worth the cost.

I'll have to make sure future parties have someone like Hen who can pick out casters and the like from groups, and help us form a strategy.

For now, I suppose I'll resume walking the pass with folks, keeping the damned dogfaces at bay, and collecting Gold to get something enchanted.

Soon._

• _Today … I was eaten by a Dragon.

No, seriously!

You don't believe me, do you?

Hell, I hardly believe me, so I cannot blame you.

You can, however, ask Allestor or some others who were there. Or the dragon himself. Or you can believe me, since you're reading this. I suppose I should explain.

There is a gigantic Silver Dragon in the ODS chambers, in one of their training halls. We've met before, too. He calls me "Not so little Lion-knight" on occasion, like today, when he greeted me. We brought him snacks, I shared my peach wine with him, and we all bantered a bit, which he seemed to appreciate. There's a big battle coming, after all.

Ashena had to leave eventually, to which the Dragon replied, "Sleep well. Your Lion and I will have fun and roar at each other while you're away. So, roar we did. Except... at one point he did something to strike his head on the ceiling... and then it landed on ME. It wasn't the full weight of even just his head, I think, but it took all of my strength to keep from breaking something, but I laughed, and then roared at him, beating his first roar in impressiveness.

I was pinned to the wall with his head... when he opened his jaws, and then everything was dark.

Do you know how unnerving a chuckle is from INSIDE a mouth?

I eventually got spat out. Down the Hall. Into the main Room. And into someone's throne-chair. Preeeetty sure I chipped it. Hope it wasn't Shannon's...

We said our goodbyes later, and a good time was had. I wish Ashena was able to stay for the whole get together, but alas, duty does indeed call.

In the past week, I've traveled days deep into the Underdark, got the killing blow on something Maria referred to as a "Doom Knight," and got a HUGE Tome from Shallyah about demons, which has made for great reading.

Now, back to fixing my finances so I'm ready for a trip to Jiyyd in a tenday._

• _Damn. Damn damn damn. I can't think of another word to describe how I feel without scrawling Illuskan profanity all over this innocent book. Some rat-bastard(s?) attacked the Kelemvorite shrine with this gigantic wight, and by the time we all got there, there were smaller wights in Kelemvorite armors all around it.

They fell as did their creator, but a moment later, and Shallyah and I rushed it headlong, and it lasted an entire few seconds before being Shredded before the might of Shallyah, and the magicks aiding us. I swear that woman shares her soul with her axe. I admit to some amount of envy…

On a brighter note, things are well, elsewhere. I stood guard at the shrine while Thander tended to his charges, and even then among the blood of the slain in the green and now red grass, the occasional happy thought crossed my mind. Ashena, as always, was in the forefront.

At this point, I'm considering eloping with her, I think is the term. Her family would be mad, however, and I know how much the mean to her.

Elections first. Then, perhaps, a wedding?

First things first.

I need that meeting with Voss.
    I need to undertake my quest for the Lion.
    I need to be strong enough to face the things that she does, without becoming unmanned. The Lion's Heart, and his Roar, must be mine.

I think I wrote those in a mixed up order, but I have tasks, goals, and dreams. It is a dishonor to my fathers and the Lion to sit idly.

Wherever I go, there I am. I need to make sure that is somewhere that gets me where I'm -going-._

• _I have decided, that there is nothing more creepy than standing around with the one you love, and having her suddenly say, "We're not alone. We're being watched."

Ashena and I were greeted by someone who claimed to be a messenger of sorts, but only gave the name, "Believer." A female figure, but helmed, I figure I had at least heard of similar before, but could not remember where. That was unimportant for the moment, however, as Ashena whispered in response to my question, that this Believer did indeed possess a dark heart.

We listened, and found that Father Dagon, and priest in Oscura who stays near the freed slaves, had managed to find a freed slave with the mark of a six fingered hand upon them, which was apparently sign of a demonic influence?

I may have botched that up, and will research it later. I forgot to look at the actual body of the person to see if they were suddenly six fingered.

At any rate, Dagon was able to seal them in a magic circle, which would keep the person and demon from leaving said circle… but if he tried to remove the demon, it would manifest here, and have to be disposed of, which he was not up to the task of doing himself.

We could not help but volunteer, so we met with him. He had not actually sent for, or asked for help, and was a little surprised to hear that this "Believer" had sent for us, and even gave us a warning to be wary of her, as she may be a "Sister of the Bones." Still not much I know about them, other than that they protect Oscura. Not necessarily those in it, or her interests, but Oscura herself, if I heard that right. They aren't even particularly interested in the people, except ... it seems ... when it comes to demons.

At any rate, Ashena and I prepared. Torm blessed my blade, and I dipped into my emergency potions kit, barkskinning, stoneskinning, becoming resistant to spells and negative energy, and even using a greater bull's potion, as well as a potion of clarity, to keep from being befuddled by magicks.

Dagon uttered something in a tongue I have heard Val speak before... and there before us, was a Hezrou. I recognized it, because I'm seem them fought before, and it was no laughing matter. Regardless, Ashena and I drove forward, her with a cry of Torm's name on her lips, and I with the Lion's name, and a senseless roar, hoping to steel myself enough to battle this horrid thing of the darker planes.

My blade bit true, but it's focus was on Ashena alone. I struck again, bleeding it, and again the same, it seemed I could not miss, but still it kept on her, getting frustrated that she was hard to hit, and protected by her shield and her God. Then the magicks flew.

The earth exploded in my ears, and I was nearly stunned, before my protections held. I felt like I was in a bubble that got squeezed... but not popped. My eyes went blurry, but focused on the demon again with a few shaky steps forward, and then I had my feet again. I pressed the charge, and could barely see Ashena's clouded form beside me, too.

Still, the demon pressed her, and she staggered aside for a moment, ceasing her attack for a breather? A Spell? I could not tell yet, but the demon turned it's back on me. Now, I was mad. I yelled at it, and taunted it with some filthy jibe about it's parentage, and finally, it turned.

I got a face full of claw for my trouble, but only stone chips flew, and I had to grin. Ashena cast a spell to the side, I could hear her just barely, and I had it's attention. She got to return to it, and hack away at it's side, while I took several hits, and blocked a few swipes, all of my protections holding fast.

Finally, it looked weak, viscous fluid running down it's body, and a single test of it's barrier, to find that it could not flee, distracted it at a very inopportune time, and Ashena's shout pierced the cavern. There was a flash, and a sound like stone being rent, even I had to step back and gawk for a moment. So THAT'S what a smiting looks like...

The creature reeled, and turned to me, then her, and chose her as the bigger threat once more, allowing me the final cut as Ashena's blade bit again and again, this once foul blade severing something important with a sound like a tree snapping in a strong wind, and the creature fell limp and smoking to the ground.

Much speaking about what I already mentioned was done after, with Oscurans returning to their usual places as if nothing had ever happened, only a few looking at the fallen monster and paling considerably.

The rest of the day was short for me, as I had to return to Norwick and shuffle around some more paperwork so I could find any other references to these blistered goblins, but I did stop in at a place called "Dark Hammers" and got my shield coated with a nice sheet of something to make it match my armor better. Only 100 gold, too. Not a bad deal at all, really.

Now, to go find Ashena, and see how she's holding up._

• _Another day, another walk to the gates, to see what's come knocking, and who's around to see it. I had just finished walking the pass, mostly due to talk of bandits and mercenaries and surprises and such, and I was pretty exhausted. I really should have expected that I would need some sleep, but I didn't foresee falling asleep at the south fire.

The crackling of fire woke me.

It was different, this fire.

No pot bubbled. No conversation murmured around it, nor did the grass whisper from the wind passing through it, bringing the sounds of badgers grumbling, and the other usual woodsy sounds. No, it was strangely silent, like a fire in a closed room, the only thing there. It was plenty to make me open my eyes…

"Welcome, Cecil of the Lion." Cra-Vagh was there, and he greeted me with an upraised clawed monster-hand. Even in dreams, he was a bugbear, down to the fingernails. I told him, "Well Met" as usual, and he stared into the flames, asking me a loaded question.

"You are seeking something, are you not?"

I told him that I was always seeking something, which bade him ask if it was important to me. Of course it was, naturally. Terribly so, in fact. I was stricken with concern that an awful lot also hinged on my ability to find it. Saying so made him nod, and toss some dust onto the fire, making it flare up brighter than before, the flames turning a vivid green color.

"Tell me of it, " he bade me. "None other will know what you say here."

I really had ought to get Maria or someone to ward this journal, to make sure it stays that way, since I am now in the habit or writing things down, since it helps clear the mind if I find myself stuck. Anyway, I did indeed explain, starting with that I seek the Lion's will.

"I've been shown a great many things, and let to a great many places. The most important of these is Norwick, which my mind and even some friends tell me is a lost cause, but my heart and sense of duty know better. The problem with that ... is actually something that you mentioned.

Vipers is a good term for them. I have long suspected now and again, that agents within our town work against us, but I'm not mage capable of scrying, nor am I even particularly tricky, so finding them through their own slip ups has not yet worked. "

He broke his silence to say, "We all have vipers. At every turn, and under every stone."

My thoughts on that were succinct. "It should not be so."

"Yours are well hidden, and bringing them to the light will be very, very hard. And you are right, it should not be so, and yet it is ... part of the duality of this life. "

"I seek the wisdom to find them, or at least prevent them from doing any more harm, and the strength to do exactly that, to bring them to light, and give Norwick a chance. "

Cra'Vagh looked up to me, then, through the flames, and spoke with a little more purpose.

"A stupid enemy is a blessing to the Lion, for they run full into his claws without thinking. But a smart enemy, the only way to draw them out is to make them think you are no thereat."

I was disappointed then. I was fairly certain that I had already ruined that approach.

"You have a Raumviri in your town... Chief Voss he is called in this life. He could very well be your strongest ally in all this, especially if he believes himself your master. "

I was actually kind of shocked. He wasn't one of the vipers? I asked if that had actually been foreseen, being far too curious, and at least a little skeptical.

"Yes, I have seen this. In him, there is no duplicity, a great blessing. If you cannot make yourself appear to be no threat, then take the one they already believe they control, and work through him."

I figured that was Voss, if he wasn't the viper, than he was unwittingly guarding the nest, and was given the affirmative, while more dust was thrown into the fire, this time making it burn a vivid purple, as the bugbear muttered something quietly under his breath.

"Give him the power he seeks... and guide him. He is ambitious, but not too bright. The power -behind- the throne, rules the land. "

I was a little slow on the uptake, but it was really all starting to make sense. "So, offer myself in service, and give him my ideas to be his own? "

I got a sagely nod for my trouble, and laughed.

"I have been being a little bit too headstrong, heh. "

The bugbear had the grace not to laugh at me, and merely spoke again, giving some more advice while I stood there feeling, and probably looking more then a little sheepish.

"Prove to him your worth, and then humble yourself before him. This will give him much honor with his people, and strengthen his position. It will also protect You. If one of your plans goes badly, he will pay for it, not you. If it goes well, he takes the credit and frows stronger, offsetting your enemies. Eventually, they may approach you to plot against him, thinking you for an ally. Let the vipers think you are no threat, and they can come out to feast. Then ... the Lion bares his claws. The bugbear showed his teeth, then, in a smile. Does this make sense to you, Cecil of the Lion?"

"I can, and will take this course of action. It does make sense, though I suspect that it will make a great deal more when the time actually comes, in each of these things. "

Another nod brought a warning. "It is not an easy path, and it is not without risk. Nor will it be a fast resolution. But to try and face Voss and the other two head on will not work, unless you wish to divide the town in battle. "

I shook my head, not even considering the idea any longer, for even a moment. "This town has seen more than enough suffering. I will not do the work of my enemies for them. "

"Then you have two choices. Either humble yourself and work the slow path, or walk away at let the vipers breed. "

That was a crossroads. This may be a dream, but I know a true seeing when I see one, and we were meeting elsewhere, but it was as real as life. I didn't, however, control this, so I had to ask. I had to know. He did advise caution, did he not?

"Allow me a moment in this dream" I bade, letting my suspicion out to be tested. "and please take no disrespect, to verify that yours are words that I should indeed be trusting. " I was granted that, and told that he had nothing to conceal, so I continued. "I need to double-check every action, if this is to be my path. "

I took my axe then, all of my belongings as they were in real life, and carved a Lion into the turf around me, which parted as in life, while the bugbear chanted into the fire, making strange shapes appear in the flames. I kept my attention, and spoke in the language of my home, beseeching my patron to guide me.

[Illuskan] "I seek a sign, great one. Just one, a small one, to be certain that this one does not lead me from your path. "

The sign I got was not a small one, but -The- one, as a Lion appeared, washing the area in that familiar feeling that lets me know that He is near. He then lay peacefully beside the Bugbear, rumbling a peaceful purr as the Bugbear ran a clawed hand through it's fur.

"I would apologize for doubting you, seer, friend, but you know why I do what I do. "

He grinned a grin full of tusks, teeth, and … well, amusement.

"I do. You may come touch him too, of course. If you wish. He and I meet here often, the seers of your tribe know him as I do. "

I walked up, and leaned against Him comfortably, feeling at peace for the first time in a long time once more, telling Cra'Vagh of a few times that the Lion and I have walked the mortal plane together.

Cra'Vagh's amusement was evident. "The Lion is indeed many things... but aloof he is not." I mentioned the great surprise to many of my companions that supported that with a laugh. "Do you have any other questions for me? I will answer them as I am able to. "

I did, and said so.

"I seek to perform a ritual, though I know not which form it should take."

"The binding of charms, or the calling of spirits, or the search for insight?"

"Actually, the strengthening of self, through any of these means. My path takes me into the teeth of mortal, physical danger often. Also, far too often, into the face of magicks, most notably, the type that strike fear. " I was embarrassed at the admission. Fear was not something an Illuskan warrior let slip. I admit that I'm not really completely past my previous failures, though I work on it... he noticed.

He noticed, and took out another small vial, a liquid this time, a drop of which hit the flames, and produced the image of the most unholy terror I could imagine. I looked on, held fast, and found myself on my back several feet away, hands up in front of my face, heart racing and now ... very red in the face.

"I see what you see, man of the Lion." he told me. It did little to calm me, and it took some time for me to gather my wits again, and still my blood. "You can defeat this foe, the foe of your own imagining. "

I shook my head a little, ashamed. " I have thus far has to rely on potions to even come close to being reliable in the face of such things, and even then, find myself in a corner at times, wondering how I got there, sweat soaked from fear. Is there another way?"

"I can gift you with the Lion's Roar, and his Heart. They may be called upon in times of need, but it is up to you to decide when that is. Each will be a sigil upon your soul, to add to the ones you have already uncovered. What is the time you felt most afraid in your life, man of the Lion? "

That one was east. "When I faced the test of my manhood, I was put to a Malar panther. Malar was given his chance too, to test me. Or he simply shoved his way in, I do not know. I defeated the panther, but in a moment of arrogance, I chose to clone in and finish it off, rather than finish the kill with my bow. When I awoke, I knew that I had failed. The elders were all around me, and their faces said it all before I ever needed to ask. I ... I faced a strange world ahead of me then, a life alone that left a cold claw of fear around my heart for the first time in truth, and has ever been a feeling to strike at me from fell magicks ever since. "

His next words sent my blood racing. "Then you will hunt the beast of Malar anew. Once you have defeated it, you will know the Lion's Roar, and the Lion's Heart. It will not be easy, but I believe you are ready for it. "

"Nothing worth doing is ever easy." I told him, having learned that one many times over. "I will face this bast gladly, this time without fear, and with arrogance in check. "

He nodded then, and continued. "You may choose your weapon ... but only one. Do not make the mistake that many do, of thinking literally. What is your greatest asset and weapon, Man of the Lion? Think long on it. "

I figured it could be my heart. The Lion knows it well, and is ever at my side. My allies know it, and risk life, limb and faith for me on it. I risk myself, knowing that I must follow it ... but the heart is a guide, not a weapon. The more I thought about it, the more it was clear. My heart had gained me the Lion -and- my companions.

"My companions are my asset, my weapon. They ever have been, and even you."

He grinned that monster-grin, and nodded. "You have learned much then. "

"Take your allies with you, for you will never be alone as long as you remain true to the Lion, and they will be your greatest weapon. And you still have time for another question."

"Three times now I have received a similar message. Twice recently, then once near the grove of dragons. Once from that were-boar seer, who told me something skin to me not yet being what I would become, something different. Then your original telling of me being known as "The Lion." I believe you've said this in at least two different fashions. Have those all been allusions to this trial? Preparations on this path? Are they all related, or do I think too abstractly?"

"They are words to put you on the path to your best future. What, is rage?" he asked, but continued on. "Rage is the beast. Unthinking, unknowing, ever thirsting for blood, ever seeking it's enemy. Rage is the beast of Malar, the beast that is part of your greatest fear. Can you face this fear, this pure rage, without a weapon in hand, and put your life and future in the hands of others? Can you humble yourself enough to become great?"

I didn't need to hesitate before speaking. "I can face this rage, or anything, without weapons, armor, or magical protections of my own, by relying on my allies. They are family and more to me, and an extension of myself. Their lives are my life, and they feel the same. Even when I have been powerless before, they have carries me with them. Should I ask it, or need it without asking, they will be at my side. "

"It is one thing to say that here, before the Lion and myself. It is another to do it in the heat of battle. Will you stand your ground even if it costs you your own life, or the life of your beloved? "

I answered yes without hesitation. We both know the risks, and I would do the same. "Should a sacrifice end up needing to be made, it shall, but not for lack of effort, or weak will. "

"If you can do this, if you can humble yourself before your greatest fear, then you will begin down the path that I see for you."

"I wish to seek, and travel this path, then."

He gestured at me, saying, "Dual natures are at work in you, Man of the Lion. You must master both, beginning with the nature of the warrior. You are a man of the woods and wild places, of the spirits of the wild and the power of nature, but you're also of the town, and the people of civilization. These two natures have ever been in conflict with each other. The warrior longs for open plains, for the enemy before him in plain sights, and a blade in hand. The city man longs for calm words and empty hands, for enemies with a simple nature, and a clear intent.

I understood these battles in my self, and said so. "I've had to work hard to learn the ways of the city man, but it has it's appeals."

"Both of these spirits are frustrated within you. Your enemy is hidden, his words are not clear, hands are full, yet the weapons are unseen. You must learn to use the tools of the city man in the wild, and the tools of the wild in the city. "

Now, I was confused. I mentioned how complicated it seemed.

"How does the Lion hunt?" he posed.

"Patience. Stalking. With the rest of his pride beside him, or behind."

Cra'Vagh interrupted with "If his foe is cunning, he leaves his pride behind ... in this case for you, literally."

"I er... meant a group of Lions being called a pride, actually."

Teeth and tusks, again. "Oh I know. Wordplay is a pasttime of mine, actually."

That sounded familiar! We both laughed, before he tossed another branch on the fire, and continued. "How does the city man succeed? "

"Well, the city man uses laws and words, binds his enemies with both ... and covers his ass with alibis and politics. "

"For the city man though, " he mentioned "the first thing he must do, is learn enemy from ally for they often appear the same. He will make himself appear as ally to them, when he is enemy."

"So... illusions and alliances then?"

I got a nod indicating that I was catching on.

"If you bring the tool they do not expect to a situation, then your enemy will not be able to bind you. No matter whether it is in the wild, or the city. "

I laughed, then. "I can relate to that. The last thing I like to see in any conflict... is a surprise."

"Mm, yes. Imagine a kitten with the powers of a mage, or a tree that springs to life when you have set an ambush for orcs. "

I shuddered, mentioning the experience I had once with possessed toys in Peltarch...

"Then you understand what I speak of."

"I do."

"Very good. I will see you once more, then, when you have met the beast of Malar. May the Lion watch over you."

"See you then, and may he be by your side as well, seer and ally. "

[Illuskan] "Be well, man of the Lion."

I bowed to my new teacher, friend, and ally, and awoke on the hill to the chatter of folks at the fire.

What a restful nap!_