A Class on Demons

• Raises his hand

Kin we take a moment 'n talk about our end game?

How are we gonna fix the planar rift or rifts that allow 'em ta enter in the first place?

When ye "kill" a demon, here on the Prime, they don't really die. They just return to the Abyss, right?

If we can't get the rifts repaired they'll just keep comin' or send others.

• On the contrary, Dermin my friend she looks at him, knowing what he's talking about if you are to encounter with such a creature with the group. The most important thing is to take cover, and after that, after everyone's acounted for… charge. All of you. How many people do you think they can dispel before they go down? If the sword you hold is enchanted, it won't sucumb to the dispels either, so you will still hurt the creature.

It's always better to charge it all together, than run around and try to spread. Demons like that can use the blink ability, which allows them to "jump" in a blink of an eye from one spot to the other... so if you spread and try to shoot him from afar only, he will pick you one by one by blinking on you while you're alone.

• Dermin raises a hand to take the word

We are uh… talking about magic enhancing our strength and defensive power against the demons. But what about those high ranked demons? I've fought some before and failed, as some of you may know, and in my experience, part of them would focus on dispelling all the wards and enhancements the front liners may have. All that prior to close quarters and crush you with a weapon in flames they'll surely be wielding.

Now I know what to do in case of being dispelled, which is an action against all my bravery and stupidity, I mean, I would fall back, but isn't the idea not to break the offensive? Some may panic, some others would simply face them barely warded and fall.

So in an attempt to avoid a pointless retreat if one or more gets stripped off of most of the wards they may have, what would you recommend in case of been dispelled, María?

• Z sets down his quill pen and raises the work-hardened hand of a farmer and smith. Once he has the floor, he speaks.

Since folks are offerin’ suggestions, I have a few thoughts…

First, I want re-emphasize what has already been already said…you need to have plenty of healin’. Them bottles should be clankin’ around in yer packs when yer walkin’. Aye, that many…

More importantly, if yer hurt, USE ‘EM! Don’t go penny-pinchin’ yerself into an early grave. That’s the ultimate price fer bein’ a skinflint. You kin always earn more gold. But, if yer dead, the gold ye saved by not drinkin’ yer potions ain’t gonna do ya any good.

Second, many of the protections that will be critical fer this mission can be bought, in potion or scroll form, in the local shops or temples - buy ‘em and use ‘em. Use ‘em on yerself, and use ‘em on others who are in trouble.

Sure, folks who can cast spells n blessings will try ta give support, but spells an’ blessin’s cast by m’self an’ others aren’t unlimited. Each one that’s used castin’ somethin’ that coulda been prepared ahead of time, is a waste.

Also, if you can’t find what you need in potion or scroll form, or ye can’t read scrolls, get yer hands on some spell crystals and have them prepared AHEAD of time - anyone can use ‘em. I’ll be happy to bless any crystals you got, but make sure you get several…just in case yer dispelled.

Finally, EVERYONE needs ta get their hands on some healin’ balms and have ‘em at the ready. If someone in our group calls out as he/she drops, you get to ‘em, ASAP. I don’t care how expensive they are, do it. You’d want them ta do the same if ye dropped and were in yer death throws. Besides, I’m sure most folks will pay ya back if gold be an issue for ya. Send ‘em a bill when all this be over.

The bottom line is that each one of us needs to come prepared - that’s what this class is for. If yer not prepared, yer a liability to the mission and the other members of the group.

If someone drops, anyone in the area who is not actively fightin’ toe-ta-toe with some demon, should be rushin’ to stabilize ‘em with balms. If someone gets paralyzed, someone else better be readin’ a scroll ta un paralyze ‘em. If someone gets dazed or mind controlled, someone else better have a clarity scroll ready, and so on.

Let’s watch out for each other out there an make sure we all come back in one piece, eh?

Thank ye fer allowin’ me to speak.

Picks up his quill and continues to take careful notes.

• María nods at Hannibal's words

Of course.

My advice, is that those who are in the front carry with themselves enough healing potions, as I've said. If you can't provide for yourself, contact me and we'll fix that issue. Load yourselves with barkskin potions, too, and that's one rarer blessing than the others. Again contact me and we'll see what we can do about it.

A general advice for fighters, is to organize themselves in two types. Flankers and "tanks", regardless of what they usualy act as. By doing this, you know who will be in a defensive stance at all times and who will be looking to stab the enemy. This is also important in the spellcasting department, since it allows for a more efficient casting of spells on each individual. Saving the magic weapons for those who will dishing out the damage, etc…

As to spells, the most vital spells to be cast on our dear fighters, are protection from evil and greater magic weapon. I recommend that the later is extended, and only casted by those with enough power to make it a third level enchantment weapon. Those who can't provide this spell with enough power, can focus on other spells like the aforementioned protection from evil, mage armors, improved invisibilities for those taking the tank role, and hastes for when in a pinch.

Priests should see to prepare some protection from the negative energy, as was said before.
    I'd recommend the same thing for priests as I said for fighters. Separate in two groups, those who will act as dedicated healers, and those who are more battle oriented. By doing this, we can have enough restorations, protections and healing, and know at any moment to whom should we be runing too if we need that type of aid.

she looks around again, pausing before asking once more

More questions or concerns?

• Hannibal quietly raises his hand. When called upon, he speaks:

"Miss Maria, what would you say the best way to leverage us non-magical folks against the threat is? I know there is often some confusion as what specific enhancements we should be casting on our frontline as well."

• Also, for our fellow druids. If you stoneskin your animal companion friend, apart from the blessing magic fang, they will to bypass their tough skin

• Enchanting the bow is in the long run more useful, as the bow won't run out like the arrows will. Aslo, small pause if only your arrow are enchanted, then the only damage you will do is the small magic damage the arrows will get from the spell.

• Faelar stands and asks

In regards to Archers and the Greater Magic Weapon spell…

Would it be best to enchant the piercing arrows or the bow? Or does it really matter?

• Maria lets others chime in and sits, listening and glancing over to people to see if anyone in particular looks shy to voice their concerns or questions

• Shesarai raises her hand.

If I may add a word or two for clerics. I second everything Maria said about use of fire and ice spells not being useful. I use piercing arrows with greater magic weapon cast on the ammunition. That tends to get through to Vrocks and Succubi, although with some subtraction due to their resistance.

Combat with demons is chaotic and those with healing need to watch the rest of the party carefully. But to get close enough to heal a downed friend, you're going to need protection from area spells (Like Spell Resistance). Saving a Greater Sanctuary also is important. It lets you get close enough to cast healing without being specifically targeted (though you still will have to resist area affect spells). Battle Tide and Banishment can be very useful too, and are better than Flame Strike and Ice Storm if facing demons and their summons. I find that divine damage spells like Searing Light work on demons, though only half as well as on undead.

AubreyMaturin

• Leena shifts into person-shape from an unobtrusive mouse into the corner, and raises her hand.

_I just have a couple of things to add, if I may.

For Druids, and their companions, there's a few things to know. Stoneskin not only protects, but if you're shapeshifted while you have that magical stone covering on you, it helps you pierce the demon's tough skin with your claws. It MAY work with other shapes like Umberhulk and the like, I'm not sure, but if you see your Druid friends shift, that's probably why.

Keep in mind, if we go down while we're shifted, it's going to be much harder to save us, so this is used sparingly.

Maria did good to talk about how using things like elemental attributes won't help … but if we encounter undead and SHROUDS like we have been ... dispels are key, and things like Holy Water start tearing them apart, so stock up!_

She bows her head to Maria for allowing the interruption.

• María resumes the class

Well , since it'd seem most of you just want to know how to combat them. I'll simplify it.

Things that you need, and why:

Healing potions: Get as much as you can, so that you can keep going by the using them instead of relying on priestly aid. This way priests can prepare the proper spells to keep the party protected.

Negative Energy spell,/potions, spellcrstals: If you can't get one of these by your own means, then buy healing potions so that as I've just said, priests don't have to use their blessings on healing and can protect you from this.
    Succubus drain your very life essence, and if they drain enough, it can kill you. Careful.

Protection from elements. Spells, enchanted items, potions. Specially against fire, as that's the type of element they favour.

Forget about arrows with cold, acid, fire, or electric damage. These won't do anything against most of the demons due to their natural resistances. Your best bet is to go with piercing arrows or sonic… or other rarer types of damage such as divine.

Protection from evil spells are a must, as demons like to play with peoples's minds and this will protect you from confusion spells and give you better resistance to other mind affecting spells they might cast on you.

For all but the most powerful demons, second level of enchantment for weapons is enough. But for the tough ones, such as glabrezou and balors, you're going to need -at least- third level of enchantment. This is important to be noticed, as that'll prevent you from uselessly shooting or going into useless melee attempts.

This is, again, another reason to buy healing, so that priests and other casters can focus on providing the essential spells.

Especial for casters, regardless of your ability with spells, know that the powerful demons have spellresistance that can even resit spells of mine. That's why when possible we'll need to have to prepare lesser spellbreaches, 4th circle spell, to lower their natural resistance to spells and be able to pierce it through.

Also for spelcasters, no fire or electric spells are good choices. In fact, no elemental damaging spells are good choices... so try to focus your spells on helping comrades. Greater magic weapons, hastes, strengths....

She clears her throat after the long monologue

Uh.. any questions?

((i speeded this up since we're already into the fighting part with this plot...

• he looks even more abashed

• Take it easy, Vick. She says In order for you all to understand how to act in the battlefield, you first need to know your opponent. I'll give advices on all that later.

• Vick stands during a pause

You mention poisons and most elemental spells and weapons being useless or of diminished value when dealing damage to demons. What of holy items or missiles with holy properties cast upon them?

I do not want to get ahead of you here but you also mentioned many can poison you when they attack. What might be useful in dealing with these, other than staggering toward a cleric or healer who may already be overwhelmed?

I know this class is on the variety of the foes we are facing but when the final planning comes down there may be a number of us with odd items that may help in lesser ways. Once we garner the knowledge you are offering, those in charge may want to look outside of the front liners and see what odd gifts those of us with little to offer on the front might bring.

takes a deep breath, then releases it and shrugs and sits down, looking slightly abashed

• Laerune steps in after getting a bit lost and takes a seat with scroll case open and papers ready to be written on. She offers a small wave and appologetic smile. She'd lift her hand then after a while and ask " is there a way to ward them without… You know, ditect confrontation? Maybe bribing them with something so they leave? "

• María resumes her class

Well, seen that, and before we go one by one onto the most common demons, I'd like to stop and their general attributes of relevance that are common amongst them all.

The use of poison is futile against demon. They all have a natural immunity to them, regardless of their power.
    The same can be applied to the element of electricity. Because of their nature, all demons are not affected by this element, regardless of how powerful your spell is.
    For other elements, like cold, acid and fire, their natural resistance is lesser, their skins can only absorb a small amount this before suffering damage. But this does mean arrows of cold won't be useful against them, for example.
    Along with all these elemental defenses, they have spell resistance. The most powerful demons sometimes hard to get with spells even by me.

And lastly, many demons have draining or poisoning abilities. Poisons are not too deadly in this case, but will make the fight harder for sure.

She pauses for people to take note on these important demon traits

• Sapeh has wandered in as well, after getting slightly lost and already turning up late and a little flustered; her first time within Spellweaver Keep itself. She gives a respectful nod Maria's way as she sets down near the back, keeping quiet but for the sounds of her moving around. Once settled, her attention is rapt and her expression determined. Her tattoos, especially those of an angry succubus on one arm and a nalfeshnee on the other, are plain to see.

• visibly whithers under he glare