Other Games

• Yeah, GOG is serious site. It belongs to CDProjekt, the company behind The Witcher games, amongst others. You get everything anyone else can get by buying games there, at times with bonus wallpapers and other goodies. The thing is, GOG tends to suffer delays with patches, usually taking 1-2 days longer. Nothing big, but worth mentioning.

G2A is a "grey market" site, it sells licenses for games (usually on Steam, but also GOG, and most game owner companies such as Blizzard, Square-Enix and such) at low price because the seller does not reveal the source of the product, but it does work as well as if you had paid the full price. In the event of having any issues, they either reimburse you or provide you with another license, but as I said from personal experience, I've bought 30+ games on G2A and none of them I had to even contact the support.

• So the aforementioned version on this site has fixes etc without having to get DLC?

• @7b67e8e281=JerrickRafe:

$6 from GOG - $16 from steam on that site. Really not bad.

Is there any real advantage to getting it from steam in this scenario?

Not really. Steam is preferred by some people because it allows them to have their games nicely sorted in a single application and keep tracks of played hours, achievements, can see friends online, etc.

GOG version is DRM free, which means your game won't depend on a third party to run. GOG has its own client these days which aims to function similarly to Steam, it's called Galaxy, but last I checked it's only optional to install it. If you get the game from GOG, it's just like good old times when you bought a game on the store and installed it straight into your computer. The one downside GOG has is that it usually takes 1-2 days longer to apply patches and fixes. Other than that, both versions of the game will be identical, the choice is really yours.

@7b67e8e281=SickFish:

Is the DLC worth it for Pillars? I'm starting a new game after having stopped about 30hrs in last time. Any good mechanical changes or just some midgame content?

All the fixes, system rewworks and patches apply to the whole game, including the original campaign. The expansions add a new campaign that has roughly as much content as the original one and is composed mostly by endgame content. Expect a lot of epic fights against epic adversaries and world changing events. Other than that, it allows you to level your characters past level 12, up to 16.

I enjoyed the expansion campaign very much myself, and I'd rate it as high as the original campaign.

• Is the DLC worth it for Pillars? I'm starting a new game after having stopped about 30hrs in last time. Any good mechanical changes or just some midgame content?

• $6 from GOG - $16 from steam on that site. Really not bad.

Is there any real advantage to getting it from steam in this scenario?

• @0ddd91edd5=JerrickRafe:

You've got me curious about this pillars of eternity game, now.

If you mean it, not long ago it was down to $10 or so in a Steam sale. Now it's back to the regular price (around $40) so it's probably better to wait a bit. Though if you don't have a problem with third party gamestores, G2A has it right now for around $5, and it's 100% trustworthy. I've personally bought probably 30+ games there and never had an issue. You usually get a Steam activation code which means you get an exact same Steam game you'd buy otherwise.

• You've got me curious about this pillars of eternity game, now.

• With Pillars of Eternity+expansions pretty much done, I've picked up Grim Dawn. It's a Diablo-esque ARPG with a very nice pace and feeling to it, and it's pretty cheap because it's indie, I'll post up here if it's any good when I'm a good few hours into it.

Besides that, I've got Tom Clancy's: The Division preordered. Not my usual type of game, but it's got a Borderlands feel to it, the developers are calling it a "RPG" and characters have talent trees… we'll see, I'm not too thrilled about it, but yeah, multiplayer/coop could help float it.

Dark Souls 3 is around the corner, just one month off now. That's a guaranteed buy for me, one that hopefully will deliver (it never failed to do so, but somehow feel each new game in the Souls saga loses a little bit of its charm).

And just to round up some news, Mass Effect: Andromeda has been delayed a few months, the current ETA being Q1 2017. Since I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, I'm happy with waiting a few extra months if that ensures the game will be fully finished and polished for its release thanks to the extra months of work on it.

PS: If only NWN rogues were but a distant shadow of Pillars of Eternity ones… this is how a level 13 Rogue treats what is pretty much the toughest boss monster in the game in the highest difficulty setting (for those that aren't familiar with PoE - the damage numbers are pretty on par between the two games in general :x).

PS2: Pillars of Eternity is a really good RPG, don't miss out on it!

• Pillars of Eternity's second installment of its expansion (The White March) was released a few days ago, completing the campaign in full now, and since it had been one year since I played the original campaign I decided to start a new game from scratch to refresh everything in my mind and enjoy the game's story fully as I play through the old and new content.

This time, instead of taking the NPCs the game provides, I made my own party with versions of my favourite (mostly) Narfell girls: Nuwairah, Shallyah, Rith, Scarlet, Iratha and Elaine.

So far it's being pretty good, the game's gone through a lot of fixes and overhauls that addressed a lot of the concerns the game had in its first baby steps one year ago, and I'm not feeling forced at all to replay the old content in order to get to the new one.

What is more, I'm probably enjoying the narrative more than before, as I remember my goals and I can focus more on the details rather than crazily running around without knowing clearly what to do next.

My Steam account has 175 recorded hours of Pillars of Eternity, and I'm pretty sure it'll be well past the 200 when I'm done with it, since I've yet to do any expansion content, which appears to be a whole new campaign of its own.

So, if you are like me when it comes to RPGs, this game is definitely worth checking out!

• … my strategic insights burst again ...

Universe Online Computer Game with Strong Infantry start, bolstered by a Versatile Tanks with slightly light fire focus, about 1/6 under-caliber - two guns, one slightly above damage capacity slow fire, 3 light fast anti infantry guided by computer with remote ai connection.

Then Ultra-tech tanks coming from above, acting as a Versatile scaled Ultra-Helm as far as fleet is compared.

Research Facility is Strongest, Command Center is Strong, Barrack are efficient.

it's Sci-Mil-Temple as well, with Penal Colony Kyton as a support.

if You count unit, you'll see that main base has unit of 84 with 3 ultra tanks that can fly fast.

Penal colony has a brigade of 108 units, still slightly weaker, for only 2 ultra tanks, it's smaller still.

Bought extra tech of Superior Anti-Gravs & Radiation Shield to give tech advantage, 108 diamonds as well, perhaps slightly more ... can be used in production process ... etc ... excellent game so far.

Namaste.

–-
    links to photos in full size:

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/Andrzej_Wysocki/media/uo1_zpsncrt7vjd.png.html?sort=3&o=3

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/Andrzej_Wysocki/media/uo3_zpsdjnpbrqt.png.html?sort=3&o=2

• Vaasa is actually in Finland. 🙂 But yeah. I'm testing XCOM: Enemy Unknown atm myself, to decide if I even like the genre.

• @df2dad1c46=Wywernywin:

Why is she from Ukraine, though?

Kinda defaulted more or less. Could have gone for Sweden considering she's from Vaasa in Narfell and Vaasa is a town in Sweden in real life… though Shallyah has a Russian accent.

Didn't overthink it to be fair, I didn't even write the bio, it's the one that came with the soldier so I left it there. 🙂

The armor models get even better as the game progresses, and they differ a lot between different archetypes, for example "tank" and "rogue":

Don't ask why Scarlet is from Israel. She's from the eastern world, so I just picked a country in the whereabouts.

And yeah my "main" squad is all formed by versions of my Narfell characters. Psionics in X Com 2 are an entire full fledged class unlike previous UFO/X-COM games where Psionics were just a couple perks added to already existing soldiers. So there is an Elaine too. 😛

Incase it doesn't sound obvious, I very much recommend getting this game to RPG/Turn Based Tactical Combat fans. Really worth the while.

• Legion

@7933b707c6=Wywernywin:

Why is she from Ukraine, though?

You've got to be from somewhere I guess?

• Why is she from Ukraine, though?

• X COM 2 is out.

Enough said. 😉

• X-Com 2 is looking more and more like a futuristic version of this Mordheim game I've just enjoyed so much. Soldiers can be individually customised with the full detail of creating a RPG character - appearance, hairstyle, face, body build which then you can name, give a nationality, write a bio, they can sustain wounds, they can be individually equipped, levelled, etc, all which makes it so much more enjoyable and makes you care so much more about them than if they were just generic faceless soldiers.

I'm picking that one for sure.

For now I'm enjoying Underrail and looking forward to tomorrow's release of Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, a game I've always wanted to play and will take the opportunity to do so now with the PC re-release where you get all the extras/expansion/DLC and higher framerate and performances than previously seen in console for half the price.

• I've been playing Blood Bowl 2 a lot lately. I'm really looking forward to the XCOM 2 release next month and will pour a lot of time into that.

• @58d5c02555=Ace-of-Spades:

@58d5c02555=Emerwyn:

Mordheim: City of the Damned - …

This has me really interested. I've never heard of this game, but I like the way you've described it. From what I can tell it sounds like some kind of Tactical RPG, or Turn Based Tactics game?

As a huge fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and X-Com: Enemy Unknown (and games of their ilk) how strongly would you recommend I try this game?

If you're a fan of those games then chances are that you'll love Mordheim. I'm also a big fan of turn based RPGs, from old great classics like UFO: Enemy Unknown, Vandal Hearts, Ogre Tactics, Final Fantasy Tactics, the newer X-COM game and about everything in between.

Of all of those, Mordheim plays more similarly to the UFO/XCOM saga in the sense that you're running against a tight deadline and you have to deliver. If you fail to do so, you fail the campaign and you have to start from sractch, so it's important not only to succeed in as many missions as possible, but also return home with your warband in good enough shape to keep going, that is without losing too many of your backbone units. Hiring subs at some point stops working, both because funding is limited and because a greenhorn soldier won't have the impact of a grizzled veteran in the battle.

That said Mordheim plays in a quite unique fashion in that the scenario is not grid-based. Each soldier has a move range based on their speed, equipment, feats, etc and that determines how many meters they can move per AP point spent. That allows for a lot of tactical play, and makes wearing heavy armour a tough choice, and quite often not the best choice out there, as hit-and-run tactics do work nicely if well executed.

Try it out or watch some video if you have a chance, from what you said, you should probably like it.

On a side, unrelated note, I'm playing Underrail when I can these days (which is not much 😛 ) but I'm already thinking how it's possible that a cheap indie game can be better at Fallout than Fallout.

• @48fec7b6f2=Emerwyn:

Mordheim: City of the Damned - …

This has me really interested. I've never heard of this game, but I like the way you've described it. From what I can tell it sounds like some kind of Tactical RPG, or Turn Based Tactics game?

As a huge fan of Final Fantasy Tactics and X-Com: Enemy Unknown (and games of their ilk) how strongly would you recommend I try this game?

• Regarding Sword Coast Legends:
    It's $20 till 10AM PST on Steam today.