Norwick's envoys and the goblins of the West Rawlins

• Ragnhild watches quietly as the ales are handed out, grinning good-naturedly at the wobbling blue-clad servants while she eats and drinks with great appetite. As Squee speaks though, the food is soon forgotten, and when Grahk's words are read aloud, even the ale goes untouched as she listens intently. Her brow is furrowed in thought, but she meets Sqee's scrutinizing stare without hesitation as he approaches.

"I am redi seek my legacy, redi prove that father's trust in me be not misplaced. Never before have I striven for leader be, but I vill do vhatever need be done, for honour, for memori, for pride of Bloody Tooth to live on. I vill find a way show myself vorthy this task, for divided we vill fall, gobbalin and long-leg town both."

With a determined look, the warrioress nods back to Squee, adding in a soft murmur to her party:

"Father be cryptic as ever.. look vhere axe for daughters hide? Daughters axe not hide, I have it right here, ever since he give vhen I beat him at wrestel!"

Ragnhild pats the hilt of her silver greataxe discreetly, then continues:

"And follow.. he mean follow and be chieftain, or follow literal sense, you think? Maybe old camp vill give clue? Maybe other axe be hidden there? Ugh.. am warrjor, not riddel master. Vhat say you others? How think best proceed from here?"

//if Ragnhild should have understood the clues given in the message, feel free to poke me Salsa. My memory is sadly more full of holes than a swiss cheese, but then again, maybe I can blame it on Ragnhild not being the sharpest tool in the shed either 😉

• Wren occasionally drinks, looking half lost in thought, half alert. A very keen observer might notice the level of ale in the vessel not going down much at all.

• drinks a few ales seemingly needing them to recover from giving away so much of her private stash. A resounding dwarven belch can be heard when she finishes the second one and she smacks her lips in satisfaction. Scratching her ass she looks around at the rest of the goblins contemplating the risk/reward of their gold and valuables.

• :: the goblin groans under the weight of the ale setting several down and gesturing for other to come and help. Each goblin tastes the ale standing there and swishing it around their mouths with their eyes in a comical fashion. After a few minutes of sipping they seem satisfied and take the ales to the chiefs, a few taking a long path as they can't seem to walk a straight line leading to much jeering from the goblin retinues. Several chiefs seem to take the ales with gutso while others eye them suspiciously. Others seem to be waiting. ::

:: Sqee watches it all with an almost lack of emotion then turns to Rag after the ales reach their destinations.::

Sqee: A very appropriate gift Chieftains Daughter. It may help you in future dealings. Yes, weapons are of little use without warriors to wield them. Yet warriors are useless with out a leader. There are some that even now are gathering a strong tribe together but it takes time to convince a large enough number of tribes to join under one flag. You sound as if you are ready to accept your legacy Chieftain's Daughter. Some time ago before Grahk vanished he left me a message for you if you ever sought your place in the woods.

:: naught but goblin mutterings are heard following Rag's challenge though a few weapons are unsheathed then quickly sheathed after protests by their neighbors::

:: pulls out an ornate bone scroll case and takes out a rolled piece of hide::

It is in goblin so I shall read it to you.

:: mutters then gives a slight cough as the room seems to go silent as the gathered chiefs strain to hear the last words of Grahk::

_G)you write this!

g)want write everything?

G)that what me say

g)no have to yell

G)Just write down, this important

g)well what want say?

G)Let Grahk think, need be wise words that can no be read by others. Tell daughter…uhm. Say when Grahk gone she need do good. Grahk got lots..uhm..what word?

g) faith?

G) daughter no shaman stupid

g) trust?

G) yea that good, tell daughter got lots trust in daughter do what in heart right. Say Grahk proud daughter, sorry daughter no give Grahk more warriors though. Still proud though. She beat Grahk in wrestlin you know?

g) er...running out of hide Grahk...need finish soon

G) you do write thing too big. let me see what write. Grahk say all those squiggles?

g) yes

G) make squiggles smaller then! Anyway, tell daughter Grahk proud and when daughter ready follow Grahk, she need look where axe for daughters hide. that good yes?

g) if say so...._

::Sqee then calmly rerolls the scroll and hands it to Rag tucking the case back into his robes::

Sqee:: I assume that makes some sense to you?

:: Sqee then walks forward face to face with Rag sitting on her rock a mere inches apart. His black eyes staring into Rag's::

Sqee:: Are you ready Chieftains Daughter? You want to speak with the chiefs, want to lead them in war, you must first prove you are the leader they need. You must find a way to give them the strength they lack. Weapons are easy to acquire yes, warriors just take time to train, but a leader is something more. :: eyes wander about the room:: Times are changing, the old ways might slip away soon if you do not act fast. Find your legacy and see if it grants you the strength you need. :: points a finger at her chest:: you have the heart of a warrior, now show you have Grahk's spirit in you.

:: sqee then backs off a respectable distance and nods once towards Rag::

• mumbles under her breath as she digs out the ales again

Aye lass it beh un good play. Meh nay know if'n it weh'll work, but nay any harm in tryin aye. Da rest of us beh yer followers is da way these short farks look at it. So weh can nay speak up, but weh should come up with some signal so dat weh can get yer attention should yuh do somethin weh all get nervous for.

Belin walks over to the liveried goblin serving Ragnhild and hands him two ales for each chief. She looks grumpy at giving away her ales, but does it anyway.

• Ragnhild studies the axe carefully, eyes widening, reluctantly impressed by the fine workmanship and rare metal as she tests the sharpness of its edge with a calloused fingertip. After a brief moment's pause she speaks, first to Sqee alone, but gradually her voice grows in passion as she appears to address all the chieftains, her eerily light blue eyes sweeping the room.

"Is verri fine axe, no doubt about it. But even weapon fine as this be no use unless there skilled arm to weild it and strong will in heart of warrjor. I see littel of such spirit in this room, and I am disappointed. Vhere be fierceness and gobbalin pride? Vhere be strenght and honour that Grahk show me? You allow insults for sake of tools to fajt the Kal'Vargen, but you vill not worrk together, you scoff at proposal of alliance that kould actualli give chance of success? You vill not be able stop ennemis conquer all of Rawlins, even should each of you have such an axe in hand, not unless tribes pull in same direction. Even then, allies be needed, strong allies. Dwarf weaponmaker may provide tools for fajt, but not arms to hold them.

If Grahk vere here, he vould say to join together, as some of tribes once did to drive Grim Creepers from lair. Father is not here though, have for years been missing since attack on camp, but for him and for honour of Bloody Tooth, Kal'Vargen vill die at end of chieftains daughter's speer. Even should I be the last of tribe left, I vill fajt tooth and nail against those that vould not onli take lands, but even memori and spirit of Bloody Tooth from Rawlins."

Ragnhild lifts the spear with the goblin charm to her lips at this point, kissing it formally, as if sealing a vow. She then waves the other representatives over to stand near, like the entourages of the various chieftains. Hesitating no longer, Ragnhild sits crosslegged on the left hand side of the rock, in much the same manner as she would usually sit at Grahk's side. Only then does she notice the eager blue-clad goblin, smiling lightly to him as she accepts a piece of meat from the platter.

"Let it not be said Bloody Tooth and its allies be lacking in manners or generousity, even in times such as these. Belin, ale for chieftains now, let us drink and talk freeli."

In a more hushed voice to the rest of her party, Ragnhild confides:

"I have pledged to wage war on the Kal'Vargen in name of Bloody Tooth. I feel is my duty as daughter, and thought also that maybe under such banner, both Norrvikk forces and those gobbalin tribes that villing could join strenght. Am not sure though that either side vill agree to though.. vhat thoughts have the rest of you?"

• grunts at Sqee by way of answer and then looks to Ragn

If meh nay get dis wrong it shoulds look like it beh her dat beh givin stuffs und orderin un minion tuh do it. So meh wait till meh "ordered" aye. If da chiefs daughter nay want tuh den weh nay gonna give it.

Belin's dark almost black eyes take in the axe and looks over the armored goblins more closely.

• Sqee gives a faint grimace then a smile when the dwarf is mentioned. Raising his hands in a 'what can you do' gesture he starts to explain.

Sqee: Yes, his manners are quite….unbecoming. But he is an ally of unequaled skill and though his approach has much to be desired, he provides us with much needed aid.

:: gestures for a mailed goblin to come over and holds his hands out::

The axe please.

The guard nods once and reaches for his back pulling out of a harness an exquisitely designed battle axe of some black metal which Sqee then takes in hand and holds towards Rag.

It's adamantium Chieftain's Daughter. That is probably the most skilled weapon smith for hundreds of miles in any direction and he is making us weapons to fight the Kal'Vargen.

Sqee pauses to watch Rag's expression then hands the axe back to the guard who returns to his position.

Whatever ore we provide him he makes us weapons and sometimes armor though he seems to exceed more at weapons then armor.

There is also the fact that the last dozen or so warriors that took offense to him lost their heads gives him a bit of leeway. But you are right, back in the day such behavior would not be tolerated, but with so many of our greatest warriors now gone times have changed.

Sqee then turns to Belin. If you wish to offer a gift of spirits to the chiefs merely give it to one of the servers and they will serve it. :: smiles::

The blue liveried goblin that has been standing by the stone seems quite elated that Rag has decided to walk over and walks up with a bronze platter filled with steaming meat and offers it to her

• Belin having decided its time for an ale tosses one back from her personal stock and pulls a second one to the ready. She apparently has a looped bag for an ale hanging from her belt. She makes a modest dwarven belch when she finishes the first and begins to put back her ale box and bags into her pack. She seems to think Ragnhild doesn't want to pass out the ales.

• _Taking the goblet of ale, Ragnhild walks alongside Sqee, listening attentively and thoughtfully to his words. Her face fills with pride at the account of the young Grahk's deeds and as the story behind her tribe's name is revealed, she grins widely, her eyes bright. The grin soon transforms into a much grimmer expression though, as the two approach the stone and the story draws to an end.

Ragnhild looks down at the stone for a lingering moment, appearing perhaps a bit hesitant to claim her father's place. Her sharp blue eyes follow Sqee's gesture to the assembled chiefs, studying each as if sizing them up in her mind. Still standing, Ragnhild seems just about to speak when the dwarf bursts in. At first simply stunned by his appalling lack of manners, she soon begins to look quite angry, eyes burning a cold blue as she stares at the intruder, her powerful arms folded under her chest. Nearly growling, she asks aloud:_

"Vho be this person that khum to place of assembly uninvited, offer no worrds of greeting, insult you and steal the food of chieftains? A pig dressed in plate vould have better manners than this poor excuse for dwarf, yet none lift hand or voice against. By all rights, he should have axe in head from moment valk through tunnel, yet you allow him to act like big bully, disregarding all rules and proper behavior. Vhy?"

//after being made aware of the identity of this dwarf, I should point out that Ragnhild really ought to have recognized him since they've drunk together more than once, but her outrage at his loutish behaviour still stands 😉

• makes no comment and shrugs as he walks off looking unconcerned. She exchanges a glance with Wren.

So who da fark meh handin da ale tuh lassy?

looks to Ragnhild and then Sqee

• Wren clearly recognizes the dwarf, and is just as clearly shocked to see him here, although she hides her surprise quickly.

• Belin grunts watching the scene

<d>Kin? she asks by way of question regarding his presence to the dwarf as he nods to her.</d>

• While remaining fairly quiet through the preceeding, one of the tribes seem to be keeping a very watchful eye on the group of outsiders. The leader and the few he allows to sit with him all appear to be shamans, openly bearing tattoos of goblin runes all over their bodies. To those who are familiar with reading the goblin symbols, the tattoos praise Maglubiyet and call on him for strength. The shaman leader only pauses in his careful watch to talk to his fellow shamans.

• Sqee is then cut off by a commotion down the tunnel. A red haired and bearded dwarf dressed in black armor that seemingly absorbs all light with red markings that seem to flow like fresh blood down the armor looks coldly at the four mailed guards by the door with an axe of obvious dwarven make in his hands.

Dwarf: <gob>Nay be gettin in my way greenskins. I ain above splitting ye in half just because.

:: the dwarf looks over to Sqee and pushes thru the guards almost knocking two of them over::

Dwarf: Ye! Been lookin for ya. Whar that ore ye promised? Got weapons to make.

The four guards try to compose themselves and look to Sqee for orders. Sqee smiles faintly and waves the guards back to their posts. Not even waiting for Sqee to respond the dwarf walks over to the nearest spit much to a nearby blue liveried goblin's horror and cuts off a large chunk of meat with his axe then turns around to the party brushing a few errant beads in his hair off to the side with the back of his hand.

Dwarf: An wha we got here? ::the dwarf eyes the party face by face til he eyes Belin to whom he simply nods to::

Sqee: My apologies master smith. I assure you the ore will be taken to you very soon. These are ….

The dwarf then interrupts Sqee waving him off as he begins to walk away taking bites of the sizzling meat in his hand between words.

Dwarf: I know em enuff already. The ones I don't ain be ones I need to know. Jus get me my ore. Nay need words, need ore.

The dwarf then heads back out the tunnel seemingly ignoring everyone around him though he does spare a glance at the guards who take a step back from him.</gob>

• Sqee surveys the various goblin chiefs watching them chatting among their respective tribe members he then turns his attention to the blue liveried goblins to note their duties being performed. Seemingly content with what he sees he turns to walk down the bonfire with his hands hidden in his robes sleeves and approaches the party seemingly paying all of his attention to Rag

Sqee: :: bows slightly:: Chieftains daughter, :: gestures towards the rock:: if you would be so kind to take your place. ::smiles and points to the goblin standing uncomfortably by the rock:: Poor Vrek is quite confounded on what to do as his duty is to serve whomever sits on the rock.

Sqee then turns to Harmony seemingly bemused.

Sqee: You have many questions I am sure. However this is not the time to answer them all. Let it just be said I am of no tribe but am of all tribes. I am of the goblin tribe. Think of me as the wind if you wish. The wind is everywhere yet nowhere with no form or color, and is often not noticed. I am merely the speaker here as it is. I bear no allegiance to any tribe but to all goblins. Hopefully that is sufficient?

:: turning back to Rag::

Sqee: There is much we need to talk about Chieftains daughter. ::gestures towards the rock:: Walk with me Chieftains Daughter. These assembled :: pause:: Chiefs will not support you in what you want. Most came hoping to persuade the Bloody Tooth to support them in their cause.

Many years ago when Skara ruled the east woods and Ugog the west most tribes of the area followed one or the other or were destroyed. When Skara and Ugog met their fates their followers broke down into their respective tribes and they went their ways as they had in the years before led by various powerful leaders that survived their master's demise. One of the tribes that came about was the Grim Creepers who once served as shamans for Skara. When Skara died they managed to survive and stole away with many books and scrolls on old magic found in the fallen city. For many years no one heard from them as they holed up in deep recesses of the east wood. Eventually word spread of that they consorted with demons and that their caves were filled with magical sigils and they performed rituals that were against even goblin standards . For many months their drums sounded in the woods and all manner demons were seen in or above the woods. A number were slain by long legs. Eventually a young warrior persuaded some of the tribes that the Grim Creepers were a danger to them and they stormed their camps in a massive assault seemingly destroying the Grim Creepers and driving the few survivors deep into the caves. Unfortunately their leader was one of the ones that escaped under magic. This young warrior was said to have stood toe to toe with demons and slew each in hand. At the end of the fight another warrior pointed out the large demon tooth embedded in his arm that had gone unnoticed during the fight. In typical goblin fashion he pulled the tooth out saying "bloody tooth ruin good armor".

::smiles::

A number of goblins pledged their loyalty to him that day and he created his own tribe. They weren't many in number but all proud strong warriors.

Years passed and rumors spread that the Grim Creepers were back. Then word spread that the Bloody Tooth was destroyed by an unknown force. The next night chiefs began to die. One by one all the great goblin leaders fell without a sign of their attacker leaving their tribes to in fight among children and other powerful tribe members. Tribes split into new ones leaving many small groups with weak chiefs fighting to gain supremacy of each other. Then the Kal'Vargen came and crushed all those that stood before them.

::gestures at the assembled chiefs::

These are but a few of the tribes, the ones that chose to come for their own reasons, but all are about the same.

There is no unified goblin force to help you Chieftains Daughter. We have no single leader in which to lead them out of their feuds.

• Watching the entirely scene thoughtfully with a calculated look, Harmony wears a facade of mixture curiosity and wonder, for this is her first to see a proper goblin congregation. In a way she realised, that the goblins are indifferent than 'us'.

"I had attempted to do the bidding of serving the goblins Ragnhild. However it seemed, they remain wary of I still as you had observed.

I have some fine ales regardless, one I whisked at the risks of the militia's displeasure for they were not informed I had taken from their closet. I shall give to the goblins as a form of a modest tribute."

With that Harmony inquires Wren what the respective goblin chief had said and eventually, offering a nod of understanding. She turns to face Squee, offering him a humble bow and speaks.

"I am curious, one known as Squee I speak to. For I had observed, your voice seems to carry much weight as well as, the ability to a degree, bring out respect from the respective chiefs present.

I wish to know if I may, what role and tribe, do you represent in this circle we see? For you seemed to be more than what you be, you had initially presented yourself to us."

• (( any attempts to offer Sqee or the chieftains anything is intercepted by a one of the blue liveried goblins who stands in the way and waits to take whatever is offered.))

As you consider what to offer the goblins an observant eye will catch that each group seems to stick to themselves near their leader. The only goblins seemingly moving about are the goblins in blue who seem to be the only ones providing food and drink and then only to the chiefs.

As the blue liveried goblin that spill the ale is pushed the room erupts in chuckling and laughing seemingly amusing the assembled goblins. With a seemingly humbled look the pushed goblin gathers up the now empty goblet and refills it then offers it to Rag. Meanwhile, another blue liveried goblin seems to be standing near the empty rock with a platter of meat and a confounded look on it's face.

• grunts and looks around

meh un fine dwarven lass. Meh got plenty o ale. Meh will take yer ale later tuh make up fer summa what dis lot drink though if'n yuh nay mind sharin.

Belin reaches into a pouch at her hip and pulls out some ale bottles. Then follows by setting down another bag and pulling out a box carrying even more ale bottles. Then proceeds to pull out a bag which assuredly has yet more ale bottles in it.

Yuh let me know how much and to who lassy. dark shrewd eyes peer around at the goblins. She spits on the ground clearing her throat

• Ragnhild stares down at the goblin, looming over it with her superior height. Her eyes are slivers of ice, her face an unreadable mask as she lifts the blue-clad creature up by the scruff of it's neck, using just one arm. The goblin dangles in her firm grip for a long, tense moment before she speaks in a clear, if horribly accented tongue:

<gob>Ale go here.

She points to her mouth with her free hand, baring strong white teeth in a wide grin. Giggling loudly, she drops the goblin onto the floor, giving him a friendly pat on the back that sends the poor thing sprawling several meters forwards. Still grinning, she comments more quietly to her own party:

"Gobbalin kind have right idea, all talk go much better vith lots and lots ale. Have fine collection ales in my pack, mushroom ale, creamy stouts, best bitter, dwarven pale ale, everithing. Am not certain that I myself should serve, perhaps best one of you act as servant? They believe you so alredi, for better or vorse huh. Offer to chieftains and Sqee, and think best you no spill. Be a terribel thing to vaste morr ale!"</gob>