Whispers at the Fire

• The chancellor and his militia commander take a tour of the south gate one afternoon, checking the progress of the work being done there. Dwin spends most of his time briefing the chancellor on the work in progress and what he'd like to see done once the gate work is completed, often motioning north as he speaks of future work. The chancellor seems pleased with it all, nodding with approval throughout.

You'll have at least one elemental for your workers on the morrow Dwin. I'd hate to draw upon any more than that while there is war at jiyyd's wall. They will need constant repair from what damage the orcs and gaints are doing to it daily…but even one elemental should help immensely.

• The Halfling Defence League

Strange errie howls and noises that make one's skin crawl can be heard deep in the night outside Norwick to the North. Rumours go about of a powerful unknown evil. The elf Arikess, the priest Mecizq, Cloudberry the hin, as well as a few other renowned figures have been sighted at the area during the time of this.

• _Recent sightings of changes in the goblins' behaviour and presence had been noticed by some frequent travelers into the rawlins. The wood's no longer to be a safe place for woodcutters to gather woods, nor the wives of Norwick to forage food for their families.

A particular conversation made between a Guardian, a one eyed swordsman, and a local militia that was overheard by some locals nearby simply made the news look grimmer._

"….Well armed goblins have been frequently sighted just at the border of the woods. I want you to keep your guards up whenever you are fortifying your guarding post by the South gate. Whatever it could mean... its difficult to say but one thing is known for certain: That we cannot afford to let our guards down, the invasion may take place anytime sooner than expected now."

• _the chancellor rushes to the south fire late one evening, holding yet another … thing at arms length as if disgusted by it. It appears to be a leathery scroll of some sort in his hand. When within reach of the fire, he tosses the thing into the flames while several guards sit nearby passing wineskin's, heel's of bread and hard cheese. A black smoke rises from the fire as the thing burns and the smell of burnt flesh takes to the air. A moment later the chancellor ... and pretty much everyone else there looks to the base of the fire where a black pool of ooze seems to be forming. Whatever it is fades as quickly as it appears, seeping right into the ground like water. With the ooze gone, all goes quiet, except for the crackling sound of the fire.

All eyes slowly turn to the chancellor who seems a bit stunned himself. He breaks the silence with a cough..._

Well! That was…I mean, it gestures to the fire and that gestures to the ground where -it- soaked away ...was not at all what I expected. with a nervous laugh that ends abruptly so! right then! enjoy your...ah...meals, and whatnot and good eve to you all!

… with a quick bow, he turns on his heels and makes his way back to the hall rather quickly. Having lost their appetites, The bread and cheese are quickly discarded and the guard move to what they believe a good safe distance from the fire for the rest of the night.

• For the past few days, whenever Corana walks the streets of Norwick, the guards seem to give her plenty of room, for whatever reason.

• _Zoma and a half-orc by the name of Grom could be seen entering the temple of Kelemvor. Eye witnessses accounted that they saw Zoma handing over a vial filled with strange substance over to a discomfort looking Thander who looked extremely nervous as soon as he held onto the vial.

They overheard that the one eyed swordsman retrieved the substance from the Norwick's graveyard when they stalked a suspicious looking armored man donned in half-plate.

Soon after, Zoma was seen again walking hastily towards Dwin's office to inform him of a typical urgent matter._

• Neal, student of the Keep, has been seen training with the scouts and guards, teaching them valuable battle tactics to work along with other mages in a healthy and productive manner. This includes such things as teaching them the sting of a lightning bolt spell, how to get out of the way when one needs to be cast and how to recognize when a certain spell is going to be cast, even though one may not entirely be able to determine the exact spell.

One of the lessons he gives is on how to recognize certain spells by the colour of energy surrounding a mage. The elemental colours usually indicate an evocation spell, such as orange for a fire spell, green for a water spell, yellow for an air spell, and brown for an earth spell. If there is no elemental colour then the mage is likely casting an illusion or enchantment spell. If it has a black or red glow it is probably a necromantic spell. If it is white energy it is probably a protective or healing spell. Blue energy is energy from the Weave and usually indicates a spell that will be impossible to avoid.

• While sitting around the fire at the South gate, Kresha hears the account of the night of demons and exclaims, "I was there too! …and I don't recall any Kendra being in the group...as a matter of fact, I don't recall hearing of a Kendra in Norwick at all."

• Dwin smiles as the rest of the story is told.

…it should be noted that Locrian and Elyl, both of the Mighty Norwick Militia, fought hard and were instrumental in the vicotry. They received a bit extra in their weekly pay for their efforts on this day.

• ((I'll do it 🙂 ))

_After the Hezrou was killed at the south gate, another group went out to the west Rawlins to close the portal that was summoning this demons. When they arrived at the spot, they were met with many succubi and incubi. Many came close to falling to these first wave of demons, though no one did.

Guarding the portal was a spider as large as a house! No one dared get close, so mages and the one druid threw fire and lightning at it, eventually bringing it belly side up. After the spider was killed, another demon appeared, similiar of that to a Hezrou, but much stronger. A long battle took place between the group and the demon, it seemed to last a few hours with both parties pecking at each other with spells and… caltrops.

At last it was killed... but it was not over yet. While no one was looking, a gnome mage tried to kill Lucidious. The group ran up to rescue the poor chancellor. The gnome mage put up a hard fight, until it was rammed against the wall by a druid shifted into a great bear.

The heroes suffered little losses. Only Locrian and Paiden were slain in the entire onslaught of the demons. Both are now revived and resting. As for the chancellor, he managed to escape the gnome in one piece._

• //ooc - I don't know what ever happened with the next party that went out after my rumours above ended as I logged but I know Dwin went out with others and apparently there was more that happened afterwards… perhaps Dwin can post some further rumours?//

• Dwin hears the rumor as he is still nursing his wounds from the demons and comments:

What the fark am I, Chopped Liver?

• Local Norwickians had quite the scare and can't seem to stop talking about it. Apparently the Chancellor Lucidious, Militiaman Elyl, Sywyn, Kendra, Onyx and Paiden all took a walk through the Rawlins to the Far Northwest section. After having an enjoyable time on the walk killing goblins and beetles that stood in their way they suddenly came across some undead at the top of the cliffs there. Striking down the undead with ease they then found themselves facing a powerful succubus. The party took on smart tactics with Elyl taking the succubus on directly while the other party stood back with bows and spells attacking from a distance. Apparently this was working quite well and they were overcoming the succubus after great effort… but little did they know that two Incubus would suddenly appear! Instantly after appearing right in front of young Paiden an Incubus cast a spell upon her killing her instantly. Rumour has it that the rest of the party made a hasty retreat with Onyx nearly succumbing herself! On the way back they ran into Wolf who preceded to return to the area and strike down the two Incubus out there before having to retreat. After Lucidious had delivered Paiden's body to the Friars and saw her raised back to the mortal realm, he met back up with Wolf and the two of them returned to the evil in the Rawlings. It is said that they fought hard but during the fighting with the Succubus and other undead found themselves face to face with a Hezrou demon! Lucidious had to fall back and was looking for help when Wolf came running through the South Gates himself with a Succubus and the Hezrou hot on his tail! Various adventurers including the resurrected Paiden, Sywyn, Wolf, Lucidious, Call, Rose, and the Nars Tradesman all took the fight to the demons and finally were able to bring them down. The talk is that Wolf bravely did most of the fighting and the damage aided by the others various spells. This epic battle saved the town of Norwick by these horribly evil demons. People discussing this rumour are also raising concerns of the Balor that was spotted near the crossroads. Balor's are known to call Hezrou's into this plain... perhaps the Balor is to blame or perhaps some evil has brought the Balor and others to our land!

Rumours continue on through the night as the adventurers involved in the battle reflect, rest and heal.

• A normally quiet and reserved Elyl was seen at the Boarshead being more outgoing and talkative having dinner, consuming copious amounts of roast and ale, with an older gentleman some might recognize as the father of Kia, a local town healer. After dinner, the older gentleman hugged and shook Elyl's hand and at which point Elyl shouted to everyone at the Inn, "The next two rounds are on me, folks!" beaming a smile from ear to ear! Later he starts inquiring where the best jeweler around could be found.

((please deduct a bit of gold for the drinks or I can burn some at the trash can! 🙂 ))

• the chancellor lofts a brow at Thersos and his monkey-like-action during the training, padding his way towards elyl when there is a break in the session. The two step to the side , the chancellor handing elyl a cup of wine, both talking in whispers for a time. After a brief exchange, the chancellor tips his head respectfully to Elyl and returns to watching the training exercises with interest.

• When not running errands for Lucidicious, or out exploring, Thersos is often spotted beating on the militia practice dummies with his bare hands, and practicing nimble combat maneuvers. More notable though, is the fact he he has taken to swiftly climbing the walls, buildings and trees around town, jumping from one to another when he can.

• _Hearing the words of this new, young, green, wiggling Militiaman, Dwin gives Lucid a quick look, then walks away.

The unspoken message received, Lucid approaches Elyl to have a quick word._

• Elyl, now that his training is complete and is now a militiaman, can be seen with his fellow Guardians training any who wish to learn how to fight or improve on their skills. He lets it be known as well, he will accompany any group looking to patrol the Rawlins, however if they wish to engage the bugbears, he recommends bringing a large magic shield called a "Grag".

• One of said spearmen simply watches the speech, a small quiver of a smirk lining his lips behind his beard before he uncorks and ale and continues some drinking after a hunt when the speech is done.

• Passing through town briefly after another long day at the wall, Genzir hears a couple of farmers casually discussing the speech at the bar. Joining them while he waits for Lucid to get in for the usual breakfast, he remarks:

Dwin's right, you've got a very decent militia, hard-working, disciplined soldiers that follow orders. I didn't get to see them working much before, but what I've seen lately is very encouraging to those of us who are raising the wall to guard the long road.

Genzir then proceeds to help the chancellor scarf down the usual large portion of ham, eggs and pancakes.