Leo Klensen the responsible brother.

• My parents can be intriguing. They were kind enough let me be carefree and enjoy my childhood slowly nurturing me into adulthood. Now that I am of age, they are less direct in their teachings. Instead of commands, they give me “suggestions.” I had time to contemplate their ways on my long trip from Waterdeep to Narfell. I was content working in the market. Mom’s store was bustling and I kept busy meeting the locals and helping to sell the merchandise. Dad would come home from his guard duties complaining about this and that as usual. I enjoyed the daily routine.

But then the suggestions started to come. They included the repetitious remarks such as: “Your brother set off to Norwick with that woman he just met. He’s always been so reckless. I hope he’s ok.” “He’s always acted rashly before thinking things through. He’s not as responsible as you.” “If he wanted a trip, he should have taken you along!” “A family needs to be together! I can believe he went out alone!”

One day after hearing this for about a few weeks, I “suggested” that maybe I should go to Norwick to see how is doing. As I finished my sentence, both parents agreed it was a wonderful idea! They were more than happy to give me some gold and tickets for the caravan that was departing early the next day. I wasn’t sure if I should take their response as a good sign.

While traveling in a communal caravan wagon, I got to know the fellow travelers. One might think that being trapped in a wagon with a group of Torm clerics would be tedious, but I found their work relationship amusing to observe. As I listened to them, I came upon a folded up piece of parchment that apparently I was sitting on. When I read it, I can’t really put it into words, but I thought the ink moved along the edges of the document. It seemed to reach forward towards my eyes just before it burst into flames in my hands.

Instantaneously, I felt foolish for ever believing in Azuth for Cyric is the one and only god. I felt so deeply that I was lead astray for many years not praising the almighty Cyric. He’s the one who has been there for me. In my ignorance, I shamed him and myself. I had to make amends.

The burning parchment alerted the Torm clerics to my awakening. Or was it my action of tearing off their holy symbols discarding them? Probably both. The look on their faces was amusing looking back at it now. What I honestly did not expect from a bunch of priest was the swift teamwork in knocking me to the ground; their prayers I expected. I couldn’t help my temper from raging as the bile rose to my mouth. Their constant chanting and holy oil anointing became more than I could bear. I knew I could not escape and Cyric was not aiding me probably for my quick failure I imagined at the time.

Ramming the side of my head on a spiked ornamentation fixed to someone’s armor, I could feel the solid jolt of pain followed by the comforting warmth of blood and silence. I freed my other hand and grabbed my dagger. The priests’ oily hands could not stop me in time. I slid the blade upwards to wards my uninjured ear slicing through the soft tissue. The cool blade slid deep enough to bring me the sweet stillness I required; even the sound of my harried breath and pounding heart dissipated. I watched their chants continued voicelessly. I smiled as they struggled to heal me. I was of no use. Cyric abandoned me. I was doomed. I knew it. The emptiness I felt in my heart was proof enough.
    The next evening I awoke to an unsettling darkness. I could feel the throbbing pain of my newly scarred ears and panicked. I jumped up from my rested position and banged my head on a low ceiling. No, it was a bunk bed. I shouted “hello” with much force. Silence. I saw a door open from across the room. A gypsy man came in and assisted me. I could read his lips to figure out what he said and I explained that I was looking for my brother.

My brother. The name caused my heart to sink. How could I explain what happened? I bent over nauseated with my newest predicament. How could I face him? I’m the responsible one! He’s the reckless one! I exhaled and tried to focus my thoughts before my emotions got the better of me.

Senseless whistling used to bring me comfort. I attempted a few quick notes and stopped. Slowly, I closed the door sliding into a seated position behind it. The light was too much to endure.

• Jiyyd. The quiet little town rumored to have bizarre activity from time to time, feels more like a cleric’s retreat. I’ve certainly benefited from this for a week here with out my infuriating brother has settled my nerves. Although I miss the fireside chats over in Norwick, it’s best I move on.

The thought of returning to Waterdeep and the family store looks very appealing. I’ll tell our parents that Dan is safe having established a stable group of friends. It will take them time to believe that Dan is fine on his own. My new affliction will also be difficult for them to accept but I’m sure it will all work out. I’m ready to deal with their “suggestions” and guilt as well as leave my brother to his whims.

While reading my receipt for travel on the worn bench, a man clad in black, boldly walked through the gates, place two sharpened staves in the ground and plunge severed heads on top. If that wasn’t gruesome enough, he proceeded, with a smile, to saw off the ears placing them in a pouch at his side.

I looked around for the guards or any one else for confirmation on this bizarre site. I found that I was alone. I am quite aware of my limits. A contest of strength with him would not be in my favor. The man looked directly at me waved his gloved hand then walked off laughing. A few minutes later, I exhaled the breath I apparently held as I sat in shock.

Perhaps I will wait a few more days for the next caravan. I guess I should check on Dan.

• “Lighten up!” he said. As I stood rubbing the side of my face he just flicked. I had just walked over to greet Ms. Kara as Ms. Penny ran out the gates with her old friend. I barely got a hello in before he hit me. I could not help but to be angered by this. Repeating his statement in a form of a question I received yet another flick of his finger squarely between my eyes.

“Yes. Lighten up!” At this point my words failed me. I refused to stand still and take his abuse. He’s supposed to be my bother yet lately, he’s seems more an enemy. It’s obvious he does not want me around. I must be ruining his flirting streak.

I excused myself, and in a fit of anger decided it was time I distanced myself from him. I made the trip to Jiyyd alone giving no thought to the dangers that lurked within the shadows. I’d rather die at the side of the road with my pride that stay in Norwick and suffer humiliation at my brother’s hand.

Only a hobgoblin stood in my way. As it died screaming in agony, grinned. My magical bolt tore at its flesh even as its corpse sat idle on the grassy plain. I wished there were more enemies that night for my blood boiled in anger; my magic begged for release.

I shoved open the gates of Jiyyd and slammed down coin quickly obtaining citizenship papers. I’m sure the guards will keep a close watch on me due to my blazing irritation but it’s worth it to be free of my brother.

Incensed from the memories of Dan tossing rocks and flicking my face with his fingers replayed over and over. I stalked to a nearby cave giving heed to my primal needs. Coaxing out the magical beast that I held at bay was not difficult. Soon, the cave walls glimmered in a frosty mist that was replaced by char, black as night. I wiped the sweat from my face as the steam rose and slid down the wall to a seated potion panting in exhaustion.

I am uncertain how long I sat there. When I exited the cave however, Dan was standing in the center square. In his typical way, he walked towards me in a commanding manner. I was then instructed to have a “talk” with him that only turned into a screaming match. I walked away asking him to leave me alone. I’ve given him the space he needed. No, I’ve given me the space I needed.

Returning home is not an option. With my hearing gone, Mother will surely fawn over me and Father will take pity. That’s not the life I wish to lead. I also refuse to be humiliated by my brother. We are children no longer.

• Family can be a well used sword. You grow accustom to it’s weight and it helps keep you safe. When you put it aside you may find your step is lighter but you feel vulnerable.

As I look to Dan I see him, as he is now but also every stage of his life that I witnessed. It’s an odd feeling to have known someone for so long. Most of the time I see him as a scrawny teenager yet to grow into his feet.

Though there are times, like the other day, when I would like nothing more than to beat the smirk off his face. He’s always considered himself a lady’s man. Yet he was happy to have Ms. Green sit on the wet grass while he rested on the wooden bench. Just because she is an elf, doesn’t mean she should rest on the ground if it could be avoided. She is still a lady. He was feeling selfish and inconsiderate I guess wanting to sit next to Ms. Penny.

Apparently, he did not take to kindly to that I pointed out his bad manners for he proceeded to toss rocks at me. Gods that annoyed me! It took all I had to keep my temper in check and walk away. I fear that if I let my temper take hold I may lose control of the magic that flows within. Sometimes, just before I am fully awake, I can feel it course through me. It’s not a burning sensation per se, but rather energy that moves with my blood.

I remember the one time was caught up in a fit of anger on my way back from the market. There was this beggar that would not leave me alone. He kept talking and asking me for favors and coin. For almost the entire walk he was being pushy. The last straw for me was when he pulled a rusty dagger on me.

In a fit of rage, I cringed as the magic took over. The beast broke free. Control was unattainable.

Honestly, at the time, it felt absolutely delightful.

A brilliant glow hovered around my shaking fits. The radiance raced from me slapping against the filthy beggar’s face. He fell back in a daze directly in the path of a galloping horseman. I turned quickly as to avoid seeing the impact but couldn’t escape the onlooker’s expressions of horror or that sound. Hooves pressed into his flesh and snapped bones in an instant tossing fragment everywhere.

There are times when I am pleased to know my memory of sound is fading.

• So here it is. Norwick. Dan left Waterdeep for this…this mud pit? What an unsafe area! There are shadowy cutthroats, slime coated goblins and pig-nosed hobgoblins ready to kill you if you dare walk leisurely! What reason could he possibly have to want to come here? I pause for a moment realizing I just reasoned the answer. The danger called him here. His desire to match or succeed Father’s sword skill gives him causes to stay.

Often I wonder how it came about that I never had interest in Father’s guard duties and masterful sword lessons. Perhaps it was because I lacked the skill from the beginning. Most likely, it is that I lack the competitive streak required to try and outmatch my older brother. Dan always had a gleam in his eye just like Father when practicing. They’d shove me aside telling me to be more aggressive or hit me with the flat of the blade because I wasn’t fast enough. After a while, I became more annoyed and stopped trying on purpose. I became a disappointment. Father’s guard buddies snickered as I walked by or gave me condescending glances as I went to the market.

Mother’s pep talks only made me feel worse. She’d praise my hard work around the store and remark highly of how many new and repeat customers I helped bring in. Everything was true but in the back of my mind imagined while I spent time working up a sweat here, Dan was with Father honing his skills or chatting with the guards along the streets.

Soon, however, I took on the role of “the responsible” brother. Dan would be found chasing girls or flirting past curfew. I was instructed to look after him since is sixteenth birthday. Essentially, I became his watchdog after the night he chased a thief down a dark alley to an awaiting gang. He came back to us barely recognizable coated in blood. I tended his wounds as he slept for a few days as our parents worked. To both of our chagrin, we were fused to each other’s side.

Of course our parents didn’t say I was his watchdog but rather my big brother was given the task to look after me. I was the annoying little brother being drug along the city as he sought adventure. He was instructed to be the model apprentice guardsman to help me grow into the role. Mother and Father hoped that we would rub off on each other. Of course, that never happened.

On his eighteenth birthday, I caught a horrible fever. He had planned to go to this bar a few blocks south of Main Street with a group of his friends. His special girl was also scheduled to be there. I knew how important this night was to him for he raved about it many months prior. I splashed my face with water and did my best to ignore my symptoms putting up a good front. He practically ran the entire way and I watched him from a distance often wiping sweat from my brow. When he paused to look back impatiently, I waved him on.

Bursting with patrons, I came upon the loud tavern. I pushed open the worn wooden door to be greeted by the scent of greasy lanterns, fresh ale and pipe weed. The warmth and smell took me by surprise for that was the first time I entered such a place. If our parents knew Dan took me there, we would have been given the strap. I was mature for fourteen but our parents were protective.

There he stood proudly brandishing his new swords that Father gave him for his birthday. His friends gathered around for a closer look. I sat quietly near the door next to this shaggy old man with a bitter expression. I did my best to smile and make light chat with Dan’s friends but soon after I downed a few mouthfuls of ale, a wave of nausea overtook me.

One friend touched the side of my face exclaiming that I was burning with fever. Darkness threatened the corners of my eyes. The need for cool fresh air was overwhelming. Feeling the walls, I steadied myself toward the alley as the bile threatened to be released from my stomach. With my fever at its peak, I lost my balance and fell into some wooden crates. White-hot flames seemed to appear out of thin air causing the boxes ignite as my hand touched them. In my weakened condition, the force of the heated flare pushed me backwards. My back slammed against the opposing wall and I slid down in a slump. A loud sizzling sound came from my sides. Looking down, I noticed steam was rising from my unscathed hands as they cooled in puddles of water.

A skitter along the paved ground caused me to look up. There at the alley entrance was Dan chomping at the bit for a fight. He thought I was caught up in some sort of magical fight. The flames from the crates danced along the edges of the window. He saw them and raced to my aid. As he slid his weapons home astonishment fell across his face. Having more experience than I did dealing with magic users his expression soon turned into a sly grin. I insisted that he not tell our parents about what happened to m or I would reveal hidden rendezvous he was involved in. Reluctantly he agreed and we went along our daily routines.

So. Here I am, in Norwick. Dan sitting near the fire kissing the hand of yet another beautiful woman. His charming smile causes a few of them to blush. I watch as a couple of musicians pull out instruments. He claps along with the beat laughing with the others. Absently, I touch the scars along my ears and try to remember what the instruments sounds like. In a burst of frustration, I turn away not able to imagine what tune it is they are playing.

Through the haze of merriment, my older brother sees me standing nearby. He’s always had a knack for finding me even when I don’t want to be found. With a grin he makes his way over giving me a full hug and introduces me to those gathered.

It’s comforting to see that nothing has changed but I’ll never admit it.