Callon's Journal

• (What follows is an excerpt from Callon's Journal, written entirely in Espruar)
    23rd of Flamerule, 1421 DR

We had led a decent life up until the sickness fell over her… I watched as she died, and still my heart weeps. But I know she is among the Seladrine now, that Lord Erevan watches her and guides her. It has been over a season, and I have left that cursed human city of Luskan, and now make my home in a second story room of an inn in Silverymoon.
    The people here are very tolerant of other's "failings". Here, in this city of tolerance, half-orcs walk amongst the populace, unmolested by the men who would torment them in Luskan's borders. I smile at this. It shows not all men are cruel and malicious to those who are different.
    I have seen the Lady Alustriel but once, merely a passing glimpse, yet she is in my thoughts. She is the reason this city is like it is. Her guidance and leadership is a beacon to all who need hope...
    Curiously, there is even a drow who walks the surface here. I am wary of him, but I feel no need to fear him. It seems he too has a past he wishes "erased". I hope he can find the same forgiveness that others have shown me.
    there are more entries similar, until a season later
    5th of Kythorn 1422 DR

Even though I do not wish to leave this city, I feel the desire to move on...perhaps it is the wanderlust my mother once told me of. Perhaps it is Lord Erevan's guidance. It is of no consequence however, for I will be traveling to the east and where I roam, I do not know, but I trust in His guidance.
    I was told once of a destiny I had, and now I seek to fulfill it. I shall leave in a tenday.
    a few pages are torn and missing here, but the next entry is obviously from the road
    29th of Elesias 1422 DR

...the caravan was attacked. All but three lay dead, struck down by the ferocity of the orc raid. I, Vallain, Merin, and Rathgar have decided to continue on towards ANYTHING. We are in the middle of nowhere, and our supplies are dwindling. Little Merin was (unreadable due to a blood stain); I fear he may not survive the tenday. We walked about a half a league today, taking turns carrying the Hin.
    Rathgar is taking this very personal, perhaps due to the blood of an orc in his veins. He has become withdrawn and silent. I wish I could help him to see this was not his fault, that he should not suffer the sins of his blood. Perhaps if Merin makes it, he will be "redeemed".
    Vallain stay near our rear, constantly looking about. He had found a few trails today, and they followed our course. I hope the orcs got what they wanted and have no need of our skins...

12th of Elient 1422 DR

I woke this dawn to a dwarf, sitting at our fire. He was covered in blood, and had a feral look about him. I had my blade ready if needed, but I had seen enough death for a lifetime. He looked each of us over and smiled a crooked smile, muttering in a tongue I had never heard, and truly in a sound I did not think possible for a mortal to make. It sounded as though bark was being rubbed together as he talked. I decided to try speaking to him in his clan-tongue, in hopes he understood.
    We talked for nearly an hour before Rathgar woke. The dwarf claimed to be a servant of the mountains, and had been following our tracks to our camp. He told me he had treated Merin's wounds and had brought him "back from the depths" as he had said. I offered him some of my fey-wine in thanks, but he merely grinned. Then, Rathgar woke up. The huge yrth spun on the dwarf, his sword drawn, ready to strike. He never got his chance though, the dwarf waved his stubby hand and the foliage about us came alive. Rath and I were both quickly entangled in the vines and branches, one of the branches even took his sword away.
    Then, as sudden as he had appeared to me, the dwarf was gone. Shortly after his departure, the vegetation released us, and we woke the others, and broke camp.
    Merin was indeed healed, his wounds completely sealed by some unseen force. He skipped about, happy that he was alive. Rathgar too showed a marked improvement in his demeanor now. Only Vallain still remained dour, and for good reason. We had merely a day's worth of rations left. It will be a long day I fear...

13th of Eleint 1422 DR

Wonderful day. After we had broken camp and had begun to move out, we found a deer strung up to a tree, its throat slit and drained of blood. We cut it down and went about skinning the beast, getting all the meat we could carry. Rathgar had decided to carry all of the meat till we made camp and could cook it. I know where it had come from, and I offered a silent prayer to Lord Erevan in thanks.
    We also had found a sign telling us we were not far from a town of some kind. It was written in common, and although it was worn and weather-beaten, it gave us hope that soon we would sleep in a bed.
    We camped and ate venison stew, and I took first watch. It is said that elves do not require sleep, and while this is true, I have grown accustomed to this human tradition and as such, slept well.

• 30th of Eleint 1422 DR
    Good fortune, for we have found another caravan going east. They say they are going to a small village in the province of Narfell. Anywhere is better than the road right now, so I have decided to join them. The others follow as well, but I feel we will go our separate ways at this town. Rathgar took Merin's loss very hard, and I hope he can find forgiveness for whatever demons he now carries.
    For while it has been an adventure to meet these companions, and to learn new things, now I only wish for a bottle of elven wine, a warm bed and a soft song.

• 19th of Eleint 1422 DR
    It is bitterly cold this day, and I have seen the first falls of the winter snows. All of us have added to our clothing, trying to thicken it as to protect from the harsh winds. I myself now wear both of my cloaks, but still the wind bites through.
    We made little progress today, for even though the season is yet young, our feet are cold and numb. I had built a good fire to warm ourselves to, especially Merin. I am worried for the little one, as he has fallen ill. If we do not reach shelter soon, I fear he will not see another month.
    As we set up camp, I caught the scent of burning pitch from a pine log and saw smoke rising to the east of us. Many small fires. That can only mean we are no more than a day's march to the town…Praise to Lord Erevan.
    20th of Eleint 1422 DR
    The "town" we though we were near was no more than a burnt and dead place. Nothing stirred save for the ashes in the cold northern winds. The wooden frames of the houses are but cinder, like matchwood strewn about and spent. All I found were old bodies of the fallen, dead for some time now. There was a single stone building, and most of it stood still, save for the southern walls. As I looked at the stone, I noticed it had not been broken, but melted. No fire could have burned this hot...
    My heart falls as I think of this sight, so close to a warm bed and a fire, yet all I find is death. This is not what I had hoped to find in my travels, yet still there is a lesson here. Never assume a safety that is not known. We re-supplied as best we could and continued. Little Merin is now carried by Rathgar, too weak to walk himself now. Corellon deliver us...
    26th of Eleint 1422 DR
    It has been a bitter day, both in the climate and our spirits. Merin Passed on to wherever Hin go when they have left this mortal shell. Vallain is silent, choosing to hold in his sorrow, while both Rathgar and I weep for the little one's passing.
    We found him a good spot under a tall Blueleaf, a location I know that will get much sun, as he would want that. The ground was nearly frozen, but we managed to dig him a small resting place. While I do not know the funeral practices of the Hin, nor am I a priest, I prayed a blessing for him. I know that Sehaine will guide him now.
    Rest well Merin, a friend I wish I had known in a better life...