Livia

• Reposted after it was destroyed in the Great Forum Cataclysm of 2004

Velsharoon teaches us Life and death are the twin faces of eternal existence. To surrender to either one is to resign oneself to obscurity. True power lies in the twilight zone between life and death. By seeking to explore and extend the mortal condition and form– even mortal life itself-- knowledge of the world and its infinite complexity are extended. Let no one interfere with the pursuit of such research, for the end result will more than justify the necessary sacrifices along the path. Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.

I first met him when I was a mere child of nine. Tall and dark haired, he stood surrounded by the faithful, the power of his presence wordlessly dominating those around him. I understood little then, other than that he was regarded as holy. He was a 307 year old vampire, one who dwelled in a near perfect existence between life and death. His name was Valatai, Lord of Southkeep.

Such icons are important to a child of nine. Having no father or mother that I could recollect, the faithful of the Church of Velsharoon were my family. Valatai represented the pinnacle of my ideals and aspirations, and provided an example by which I strive to live up to each passing day.

One with his power could have been cruel, but he was not. While it is true he preyed upon those weaker than he, is it truly no different than the wolf who feeds upon the rabbit? He never did out of malice, and only to sustain his existence. An accomplished warrior and student of the weave, he would on rare occasions hold classes for the more advanced students of martial skills. His intellect was renowned, and his council sought after for many weighty matters.

It wasn’t until the age of sixteen that I summoned the courage to speak with him personally. I had written many letters throughout the years, and was delighted at the few replies of encouragement I received to continue my studies. I had sought a covenant with Velsharoon at the age of twelve, and at sixteen was four years an acolyte when I approached his quarters. Truth be told, it was an infatuated woman’s ambitions that carried me to his door.

I still blush with embarrassment at the memory of it. He had answered the door in his usual courtly manner, and I stood awe struck in his presence.

“Livia is it?”, he had inquired.

I stood speechless before one whom I idolized, and bared my neck for him. The audacity of it! A puzzled smile caressed his face, and then with a soft chuckle he ushered me trembling inside.

I received a long practiced speech then, of which details I shall not bore you. But it is safe to say I was not the first, but many upon countless who desired to be turned. He explained much to me, as a father would a child. Those he chose to turn were those of strong spirit, and gifted to survive. He encouraged me to seek my future, and to study hard the path between light and dark. Prayer he said, was often a good choice as a first step to enlightenment.

With his words in my broken and troubled heart, I left.

I was not to see him until nearly two years passed, the evening of my signing. It was the ritual by which I was made Priestess. When my vestments were draped, the sacrifice made and the staff presented, I was congratulated by the congregation. Amongst them that day, was Valatai.

The honor of this can barely be spoken. His strong cool hands clasped mine, told me how proud he was I had continued my studies, and that Velsharoon had accepted my covenant with him. My heart swelled, and the remainder of the day and feast were quite the blur. That evening however, I received an invitation from Valatai to accept a gift. Would I accept? As if there were truly any doubt!

Upon receipt of the note, I hurried to his chambers where he greeted me and ushered me inside. His eyes met mine then, and a look of grave seriousness graced his face.

“The gift I have for you Livia, is a glimpse of the path between light and shadow. If your soul is strong, you will survive. If not, you will pass to the other side. Tell me Livia, do you accept my gift?”

The weight of his words bore upon me, but I nodded without hesitation. I had brought myself close to death many times in my research, but had seen nothing but darkness. Here, he offered me sight. Others might have closed their eyes in delight or anticipation. I forced my eyes upon him.

He held me tight then, with the inexorable strength of the undead, and took me. At first the pain harsh, his fangs biting deeply, but I was no stranger to pain. Soon however, the pain was washed away by a sense of giddiness. The honor of the moment was upon me.

It is difficult the fight the bodies need to survive. For the barest of moments, I struggled involuntarily in his grip. A futile gesture of course, and I suppressed it. As the darkness swept over me, I fought to regain consciousness. Then very briefly, before I succumbed the world resolved itself into perfect clarity.

It is difficult to describe the moment. It as if all things hidden are seen, and the mind becomes unassailable. It was the barest of glimpses, the briefest of moments. But I treasure it.

Much to the delight of myself, the high priest and Valatai, I awoke almost two days later. I was tended to, fed, and given overly too much attention. Valatai came by and told me my soul was old and strong, no stranger to death. Despite my condition, I could not help blush with pride.

The events following were no less the fulfilling of childhood dreams. I traveled with him after that, for the few years he headed north from Thay. They were years of wonder, full of teaching and inspiration. It wasn’t until we reached N’Jast that he bid farewell. He told me then of land once ruled by a great empire. The heart of it lied west he said, and it was a good place to prove myself.

For were I to prove myself in his eyes, he would finish was he started…and I would join him in eternity