Caling Rydrion - Just another Elf...

• Narfell a/c : sciolist
    Character : Caling Rydrion

2 years ago…
    'What are you doing?' asked Evshar. 'Ser Mielis has told me you are not attending his classes any more. Is there any reason for this? Are you unhappy there? Please answer me when I speak to you'
    Caling stared at her feet sullenly, while her father waited for a response. 'You seemed suited enough for magery at the trials, are you finding the lessons difficult again?'
    Caling shrugged and muttered- 'It is just dull. Everything here is dull. Nothing here is interesting because of the harmonious Ideal'.
    Evshar sighed and looked at his daughter, taking in the set of her shoulders, her pale eyes glaring at him as if it was his fault. Not the last memory of her he would have wished for.
    'I have discussed this with the Elders, at their request. We are not a wealthy community and can not support adults who are unwilling to support themselves or others. Moreover, our Ideal brings us together and enriches us as a community. Any dissenting voice within us could potentially damage that harmony. They… We have decided that it might be best for you to seek your own way in the world. If in time you come to understand why we cherish our responsibilities for each other you will of course be welcome to return.'
    Caling's eyes grew wide. 'Exile? You are going to exile me because I missed a few classes? That is unfair.'
    'It's not the first time such issues have arisen. You have said before that you will try, and you have not demonstrated compliance as far as we can tell'. She stared at him, horrified. 'You are going to send me out there, tradeless, to do what? Mix with humans and whatever else is waiting out there to kill me or worse?' She slumped into a chair, numbed by what Evshar had said.
    'We love you, Caling. We want only what is best for you and it seems clear that what is best might not lie here, or even within the Yuirwood... You should leave at dawn tomorrow. We have prepared some supplies and... your mother wanted you to have this when you were older. I think now is a good time to present it to you...'
    Evshar held out a brooch to his daughter, its delicate silver wirework depicting a songbird perched within a sparkling tree. Caling took the brooch and hugged her father hesitantly.

Some time later
    'I just want out of here, no questions, no delays.'
    'It'll cost ya, milady. Fast an' quiet allus costs.'
    'Not. Your. Lady. I just want to get out of Mulsantir'
    'Get a load of you, gel! I don' much care for stuckup Elves, but since I'm tryin' ta be good, and I do rightly care for money I'll let thissun slide. 'Ow much ya got?'
    Caling snorted at the grubby little man.
    'I say a place, you say a price? Maybe I do not have that much coin.'
    'Knock yerself out, gel. I gots all night to stand about, Caravan don' leave 'til tomorra'
    'Nyth? Maybe Ilmwatch?'
    'Fark that, gel. We's goin' ta Peltarch. Ya might find other company in Two Stars or Kront, but we's headed North.'
    'Is Peltarch quiet, rural and peaceful. Is it brimming with fat, handsome merchants with poor security? Does it have enough people that one more wouldn't make a difference?'
    'Ya what?'
    'Is Peltarch a nice place?'
    'S'aright. Bit pricey though. An', if ya don' mind me sayin', gel. Rougher folks don' go there, might be better'n stop in Norwick. They's got troubles there, more adventurer types, goblins and woods. If woods is ya fancy.'
    'It sounds enchanting. How much for passage to Norwick then?'
    The filthy caravanner coughed and whispered a figure in Caling's ear. Her face twisted in brief horror before regaining her composure.
    'Too much, gel? Wait tables 'ere then 'til the next lot's heading out.'
    'I do rather need to leave now, is there anything else you could use me for?'
    The man's face lit up! 'S'a big caravan, quite a few guards. They'd like a bit o'company - maybe a song or two. Ya know how guards is…'
    'No. Not anything like that.'
    'S'up ta you. Is tha' the watch I hear?'
    Caling glared at him, unpinning her mother's brooch. 'Maybe this would be worth something?'
    The man examined the brooch, his darting eyes taking in the craftsmanship, the obvious quality of the material, the tiny gems in the birds eyes. 'S'cheap rubbish. Hardly worth me fenc...Reselling it. 'cos I'm nice though I'll let you travel with us as a guard. No pay. Jus' food and only what company you want.'
    'Done. I will see you in the morning at the ferryport.'
    'Oh, Miss? S'there trouble comin' after ya? Jus' so's I know.'
    Caling grinned wolfishly, her first smile in days.
    'No, No-one's coming after me.'

Description
    Caling is about average height for an Elf. Not especially pretty but she is young, healthy and fond of earrings and other body jewellery. Her clothing is black for preference, purely because it suits her mood. She speaks her mind, is prone to occasional mood swings, doesn't suffer fools gladly and is trying to find her place in an uncertain world. If she favours a deity, she doesn't do it when others are around.
    When she smiles it rarely touches her eyes.

• Reviewed - XP Pending.