The Journal of Kale Ashton

• I put these words to paper so that I may no longer deny myself the truth.

It was some time after he dispatched and put down a drunken dwarf in the commons - who was bothering Lady Cera and randomly attacking citizens with deadly intent - that I learned of his name.

Coutn Æesahather Coutler: A name I shall not soon forget. We gave our names some time after the dwarf had been dealt with. It was a common courtesy if nothing else, or so I'd thought. Count Coutler held lordship in Dalesport, Damara, for some time.

He recognized the name, and asked me a few questions - where I was from, and who my father was. Sir Ethan Ashton, my father, was indeed in the service of the Count until his life ended.

My father had been a Knight Captain at the Coutler Estate some years ago. At first, Count Coutler spoke very highly of him. Describing him as a very strong and interpid man. However, it was then I learned that my father served not one, but two lords.

It seems, tainted of honour, he was a key informant for Baron Fayer Thrann of Withermeet. It was later found that he kept track, not only of the Coutler's financial investments, but of their defenses as well - weaknesses and strengths. One night the Count had found him setting powder keg charges, lining the inner wall. He was too late to stop my father, and the Baron's invasion of the Coutler Estate succeeded. All of the guests and servants were slain.

The majoirty of the Coutler family survived by retreating to an underground stronghold. Their lives were saved, to a point.

The Baron looted their gold and bloodstones, and left with his army. Their fortunes were ruined and Dalesport was now in the Baron's hands. My father's execution was called for soon after.

Count Coutler has come here to Peltarch to re-establish his family fortune, and perhaps one day move to reclaim Dalesport from the Baron. I find it necessary that I should help this man however possible - for my honour now, not for my fathers.

I will have to rethink my goals here as well, for it was my father's name that sent me on this journey in the first place. For now, I shall keep my position as defender, and do all the good that I can.

Without a doubt, this is the greatest shock of my life.