The Stories of Nico Black

• Introduction:

Nico Black sits in the Boarshead Inn thinking of his past and his future wondering just where his future lies. He leans back in his chair sipping his wine and glancing around at the occasional barmaid with a smile.

Having made a few friends and more acquaintances he is feeling pretty settled in the small town of Norwick.

Of his friends he could mark Durai Hightower, which when he first met the young man he went by the name Durron Hawkins. A tale that has yet to be told to Nico, but Nico always has had his patience. Though he has known the young man a short amount of time, and after conning him out of a few gold, he enjoys the fledging priests company.

Tari the young elf who is madly in love with him he counts among his friends. Though he knows that it will probably never work out for them. You see Nico has always been more fond of himself than any other and he is aware of it. Her level of excitement overwhelms the simple man at times, but he does appreciate the attention he gets.

He smoothes down his muttonchops then takes another sip thinking of the elf and that tattoo. His interest quickly shifts to Lana as she passes by.

Of his acquaintances he would mark a few. Some who have helped him in several ways and some he has partnered with for some gain of his own. He pats his gold purse and smiles taking another sip thinking of the gold that was passed to him recently. Nico being a man true to his word, if nothing else, would aid those that has helped him so much thusfar when needed. Though Nico is no killer his skills are growing each day.

Standing he decides to wander out into earthen streets for a bit of fresh air.

• Nico lays in his bed, his wife sleeping soundly beside him. He rolls over in his bed as if bothered by some unseen pest. A tiny bead of sweat forms on his forehead as he drifts off into the dream.

Welcome to Nico's General Store.

The fine blue shirt. It was very striking against the other clutter in the dusty shop. It seemed as if it were a lone flower in a muddy field. The words though seemed to flow off the young merchants tongue as if they were made of the finest silk. He was charming if not a little cocky Nico could tell.

Let me know if I can help you with any thing.

_Nico nodded to himself as if acknowledging the statement. He just stood there watching the young man occassionally looking down to the object he was holding. The elegent collar shifted a slight bit higher on the young merchant. My what a shirt that was.

He watched as the young lady entered the shop and his physical body settled into the bed getting more comfortable. He took in her features carefully and a small smile creeping across his face as he did._

Why I think I have one right over here.

_He looked back down at the item he was holding…..what was it anyway? He looked up watching the young man walk over to the table. The charm he exhumed before now lost to a newfound clumsiness. My what a striking difference he saw then. The young merchant dressed in his finest garmets, keeping his person in perfect order and well groomed. His shop seemed like a cluttered mess compared. The two were quite different.

He watched as the young youthful hands moved through the merchandise on the table. He watched as Nico turned the pot over and caused it to smash to the floor._

I didn't mean to startle you Miss….

He looked back down to the clamp…yes it was a clamp. He sat it aside and moved around a shelf to get a better look at the merchant. His hands moving along the shelf as if looking for some item of great importance. He was watching as the merchant bent low to pick the metal container off the floor and place it back on the table. Still the young man maintained his pleasent attitude. Nico stood there in his brilliant blue shirt with the high elegent collar and smoothed down the muttonchops he had began growing.

Looks like I am all out.

_The words accompanied with a wry charming smile. The young lady taking her leave after a few more words exchanged. He watched as the merchant arranged a few more items before approaching him….wait. Was he really there?

Sweat beads on Nico's physical form as he turns in bed to face away from his sleeping wife. As if somehow in his slumber he realized her position. His face almost a mask of anger and confusion. _Name's Nico. Nico What did he just say? He watched as the hand extended out to in front of him. Well met. he heard the voice come from him. Pleasure's all mine. the young merchant responded with a polite smile. Indeed. replied Nico….Nico Black. He shook his hand with a smile of his own.....

_Nico's eyes dart open quickly with a jerk in his bed. The bedsheets and blanket had long been tossed to Yolande's side in his troubled sleep. He lay there now, sweat tickling the side of his face as it inched it's way down toward his ear. The room shown with the familiar glow of the enchanted rapier he kept near his bed.

His eyes blinking a few moments as he let them adjust to the pale light in the room. Looking over he saw the crumpled leathers he had left on the chair when he had come in from his recent business trip south. He couldn't be too prepared he always told himself. Hanging on the back of the chair was his weapons belt. He looked upon the blades that hung there. The shortsword that once belonged to the man known as Thyrm Cardea….How many had he killed with that blade he thought....Then again. How many had Nico killed with it?

On the dressing table lay his collection of rapiers. He knew he would have to remove them before Yolande awoke. She never seemed to like getting dressed beside his gear. He smiled briefly thinking of her and looked over to make sure she was sleeping soundly.

The one that once was in the hands of noble families who lived so long ago in the area lay in the front. He could almost see the name Shining etched on it. He so needed to sell that blade, but a buyer just couldn't be found. The blade often found it's way into his hands though. It felt nice. To think that royal blood once held it and took it to their grave....only to weild it in their undeath. It was a treasure.

The next was an odd piece indeed. The skull on the hilt stared out into the night as if keeping a vigil on the room. Nico almost found himself amused as he stared over at the dark blade laying there. It was more a conversation piece than anything else. It didn't hold an edge well and had a few nicks here and there. It was interesting though.

The newest one that was a particularly fine piece. The cutlass was light as any he had held, but wasn't quite as sharp as many. Still the lightweight metal felt good in his hands. It was a pirate's blade for certain. The markings on the hilt had been cleverly covered so as to not reveal it's heritage. He was fond of his newest blade. Very fond indeed. Not like it's previous owner would be missing it anyway. Though if Shining is any indication, the owner might pull himself from his watery grave to retrieve it one day.

Various pouches lay around the table. The metal jacks he carried and the dark liquid he put on his blades to prevent reflection of any light. Did he really need all of it. Did he really need to keep himself so prepared? The thought flew out of his mind as he drifted back to the dream a moment. Of course he did.

He leaned over and kissed Yolande on the cheek and smiled. He whispered to himself as he pulled the bedsheets back over and snuggled beside his beautiful sleeping wife..._

I am Nico Black….__

• Thoughts On Guilt

Do I think she is guilty? Yes, I do. Maybe she wasn't in control of her mind when she delivered the drugs, but it was her body nonetheless and that is what the people will see. The common man knows little to nothing about magic and it's abilities to control someone's mind. If that in fact is what happened. I'm not entirely sure that it is even true really. She could just be putting on an elaborate hoax and a damn fine one it would be.

I would like to think that the Black Knight is behind it though. Though if no proof to aid their cause is found they will surely be found guilty. I mean they really have nothing going for them. By them I mean Zyphlin, Gildor and Skyla. Everyone believes in their innocence, but for what reason? I mean drugs were found in Zyphlin's house which he can't prove how they got there. Skyla is the druglord that has contaminated the streets in the Docks. How can a court say they are innocent? What proof is there?

I consider Zyphlin a friend and I'd not see him executed, but what can be done to stop it? I suppose finding the Black Knight would be the best way. Even then what would that do? If he is killed then how does that help their case? Unless he confesses to the crime of planting the drug and forcing Skyla to distribute it. I just don't see a way out for them.

If they are found innocent, which I hope they are, will this affect their campaign? I am sure that soon someone will call for them to be removed from the ballot. Which is precisely what someone wants I think. Is everyone a target that is running for Senator? If so I should take extra caution to avoid getting caught in the middle of it all. That is why I have stayed neutral in my views of this situation. I don't want to seem a threat to anyone.

If Zyphlin is innocent I see the man pulling off a victory. If not him then Roland for sure. Koreth has his position in the bag already, but if he continues his thuggish practices he will lose favor with some. The nobles will see him as a good man regardless.

Time to start the campaign though. The three in the cells can stay there I suppose. I have offered several times to help. Even help in tracking down the Black Knight, but I'll not offer any more. I have a campaign to run and an election to win.

• Nico sits near the small garden in the Civic District scribbling down some thoughts.

Who would have thought that the one distributing the drugs was a candidate for Senator? I mean I heard the rumors, but didn't really think it true. I didn't even want to believe it personally, but after I had the proof in my grasp so to speak I was more than convinced. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked up the lifeless corpse to find quantities of the drug and a large sum of gold. Never would have figured it was Miss Skyla. She didn't seem the type.

It became appearant that she was not her self in the past months. Well appearant to most anyway. After she was brought back by Miss Daisy it was appearant that she didn't remember the previous season. We even had to have her walk outside just to convince her it was no longer winter. Popular concensus decided that she must have been under the effects of some spell brought on by the Black Knight that has terrorized a few. Though I'm not so sure personally.

Magic or no she was the one distributing the drugs and needed to be arrested. She was arrested of spitting within five feet of Zyphlin…a mockup if ever I saw. Though she fears the wrath of Sir Koreth and if rumor holds true I would too. Though the man has been nothing but polite to me, even when Yolande quit her post with him to join my campaign. I respect that I suppose. Everyone fears the man in the golden armor, but I think he may actually have the best intersts of the city in mind. He may have some questionable methods, but they are effective. I would like to see the man behind the helm some day though. I had a thought the other day when confronting Skyla that maybe Koreth and this Black Knight might be one in the same....I quickly dismissed it though.

So she will sit out a while in a plush cell for a crime that has aflicted hundreds of people. And which killed many as well and sadly kill many more. I'm not sure I agree with that one. Probably because I feel for the people in the Docks. If it was true and she didn't have full control of herself in the past while then I agree she shouldn't face punishment, but who will decide that?

Will it be Anakore who has served beside her in magical threats to the city? Or will it be Zyphlin which brewed up the plan to have her sitting where she is now on a joke of a crime? I think this would be a matter for the Senate to decide, but hopefully word will not reach the people before her trial or there will be little to nothing left of her. I am sure there are angry parents out there now who have lost a son or a daughter to the drug who don't care about reasoning or magical influences. If they get wind that she is being held in the Theatre then I fear a riot will break out and a mob formed to deliver justice one way or another.

Now I hear that Gildor and Zyphlin are also accused of supplying drugs. Does it surprise me? Well not really I suppose. Koreth is on a hunt, but I have a feeling he is using this to his personal gain. If not he surely will be. I know if I were in his position I would. Their reputations are likely in ruin once this word got out, making their bids for office very skewed. Will they be able to pull themselves from the fires so to speak? A part hopes that they are innocent and a smaller part thinks that it would be better personally if they weren't. Though that will not be an issue I think.

Anakore's judgement bothers me. I think the man would make an inept, at best, senator. His reluctance to arrest Miss Skyla after it was dreadfully appearant she was guilty shows that he cannot seperate his personal feelings from the good of the city. I wouldn't trust him to be an effective leader.

The issue now is the people addicted so heavily to the drug. What is to become of them. If the rumors are true then they will die without more of the substance and no cure can be found. The only way to keep them alive is to give them more of the drug I think. As bad as that sounds it would give them another day perhaps till a cure can be found. Daisy has been little help to me lately either. I fear the drug is magical in nature. Now that Skyla has been stopped will there be enough of the drug on the streets to maintain the addicted till a cure, if a cure can be found? I truly hope so.

• It's as if she hasn't been dthe rest of the word is scratched out gone for so long….

I found Sam in the Nars on my way south toward Norwick and my eventual destination of the goblin lair deep in the Rawlinswood. Good thing I did I suppose because I lack the skills to make it much of anywhere that requires someone to be adept at battle. I pulled he and Ginger into the shack in the nars to describe in detail my dream and planned adventure. Mister Ishar joined midway as well did his lady friend. They thought they were interrupting us, but somehow I agree with Ginger and think maybe we were interrupting their plans.

I told the tale of the dream and heard a bit of a soul orb...this was enough to convince me that the trip was worth taking. That and I had found some friends to help me along my journey. Mingal and Tom later were found and added to the growing group as I relayed the tale yet again for a new audience.

We were off then. My pack wieghing me down still and without the magical aid of Tom I would have never made it back alive.

We fought our way to the entrance of the cave where we attempted to prepare. Mister piped up with a suggestion that we venture just inside the cave where we could find shelter in a clearing near the entrance. A place that was easily more defendable than in the open. Those who needed to pray, prayed and those who needed to read, well they read while the rest kept guard.

We were off again...this time to face the best of the goblin forces in a battle to find what would eventually bring our fallen friend back to the living. An earthquake shook the cave and we feared a cave in, but we pushed on. Laying goblins low as we travelled.

I tried to walk in front so I could take care of any traps I found along the way, and many were found. Ishar made mention to another method of disarming the traps that he coined the Troff Method. Well that may work fine for dwarves, but for me I'll stick to my tools.

Fumbling around in the darkness proved very difficult if it hadn't been for the ring I wear. The light given off by the jewel placed in it proved to be just enough to allow me to work. Several times though I bent low to carefully disarm the trap only to hear the twang of a bowstring as someone let loose an arrow at a goblin scout or a fire beetle. This nearly did me in several times as the commotion broke my concentration. Onward we pushed though. We travelled slower after several traps were set off by the rushing warriors. Eventually they decided that slower was sometimes better I guess.

Then we saw it....a bright light shining in the darkness. It's rays dancing off the walls of the cave like it was calling out. We turned on our heels and headed toward the source. A large crate was sitting and rays of light escaped the wooden prison through the slats casting lines all around the area. I looked to Sam with a worried expression as I neared the crate. The light seeping through crept across my leather like a dove in flight as I neared the source. One foot in front of the other I walked on slowly eyeing the box. As I neared a flicker of light bounced off something on the floor and it caught my eye...it was a rather dangerous trap that had been laid. My foot stopped in midair as I looked down to see the trigger just below my hovering boot...I stepped back as a bead of sweat slowly crept down my face.

A few moments later and we were beside the box, trap broken and laying on the floor I looked to the others. Slowly myself and the young lady, Natasha I believe her name, eased into position and readied ourselves to pull free the top.

I stared at the orb for a moment as I heard someone tell me to grab it. I reached down into the box and pulled the glowing sphere from it's resting spot and held it for Tom to see. Nothing could be told about the orb. Probably due to the lack of light and the sense of enemies close at hand. I wrapped the ball and we headed toward the surface.

I thought a lot about the dream as we headed toward the Keep. What if Miss Yolande was trapped somewhere...What if her very soul was imprisoned. I took great care with the sphere.

As we neared the gates we were met by a man who identified himself as Vincent Hawkes. No one seemed to trust the man when he said he too had a vision and was there to help. He asked us to go to Jiyyd, to the grave of Yolande. He said there he would be able to help. What other choice did we have, but to trust this self-proclaimed demon hunter? We marched on. Storm clouds seemed to follow our every step as we made our way through the Nars. Lightning seemed to follow the stranger as if it were either a companion or a foe out to do him in. Either way we pushed on.

Once there the clouds thickened and the storm raged as we stood beside the grave. The orb clutched in my hands as I leaned into the fury of the storm. I watched the stranger carefully as I listened to the rain beating down on his plate armor. It ran off in tiny rivers as we stood there almost yelling to be heard. I handed the demon hunter the sphere and stood back watching. The storm clouds all but vanished as he began his ritual. He called out a few times as if leading someone through a dark cave...then she was there. Shivering and weeping on her own grave sat Miss Yolande... Overcome with emotion and shock I stood there a moment before fishing out some clothing for her to put on.

I still cannot believe I passed her in the street just yesterday. Her brown eyes staring back still amaze me. Is it really her? We sat and talked a while then in my folly I realized that she probably had not a thing to her name. We walked and shopped then as I relayed the tale and gathered her up supplies that she had before. It's like she never was gone, but at the same time...it's like she's still not here. I think I am coming to realize that it is for real though...

((sorry for the crappy writing. I'm at work and technically supposed to be working not writing down adventures. 🙂 ))

• Nico sits in the Mermaid after scribing a few letters and begins to write in his journal.

How does one tell the dfference between fantasy and reality? Is it possible to see somewhere that you aren't? Can dreams give you clues as to the goings on of the world around you?

All these questions and more have raced through my mind in the last while. I have been bothered before by dreams, but none like what I had last night. I find myself questioning the decisions that I have made and especially the one that I am making now. Is it foolish to wander off after a dream or a ghost? Perhaps it is just the longing for a friend long since passed that makes me stock my pack with the gear necessary for the trip into the bowels of the goblin caves. Perhaps it is something more, something tangible that is just out of my reach.

I have never been one for mystical things. I would like to think that I am a rational person. I know that glimpsing such images is quite possible for one with the talents for magic and I can still remember seeing into Thyrm's past while in the tree of the old gypsy. But I don't have the skills to view the past nor future. I have enough problems with the present these days. But it was so real, so…

I can still hear her screaming in my head though as I can still feel the urge to run to her. To help her and protect her from the darkness that surrounded her form lying there. As I watched her laying on the floor writhing in agony all I could think of was that it couldn't be her. Then there was the orb, but what was it? In all my few years I have never seen anything like it. Was it the source of her captivity?

As she stood and our eyes met I thought I would reach out to touch her, to pull her to safety. The goblins hold, surely a place that I never wanted to venture back to and most certainly not alone. some words are scratched out here A cave full of too many dangers to count and yet my destination.

What am I thinking? It was a dream and not unlike many I have had in the past. What makes this different? Is it that there is still some hope? Couldn't be though. I visited her grave myself, and that is the reality that I should accept! She was killed in the Nars by bandits and hobgoblins and cannot be where she is now. the period is pressed in exceptionally hard to accentuate his point

But if Miss Yolande is there, then I will find her the "r" trails off the page as he quickly shuts the journal and drinks down the last of the wine and hefts the heavy pack up on his shoulders. Dropping a few gold on the table he turns to head for the door.

• Nico sits at Vino's fire again taking out the journal that has become more of a record of sales and lists of those who owe him gold for an item and begins to write again, though not the usual business…

It has been a while since I put down my thoughts. Too long in fact. Since my last entry in this book I have become quite the buisnessman with a growing reputation in the area. I have also honed my skills with blade and bow through my travels. I have slain goblins, kobolds, ogres, and even a giant. In the coming days I will recount my adventures thus far and record them for the future. This entry will be my reminder.

((going back and catching up on all the adventures Nico has been on to date. Hopefully I won't leave any out and if you have travelled with him and want to be sure one is included then send me a PM to jog my memory and I'll get it in. 🙂 ))

• Nico sits under his tree near Vino’s fire taking out his still new looking journal.

Time sure passes swiftly. It has been a long time since I sat under this tree and collected my thoughts. I suppose I may have been too busy or perhaps too lazy to write more, but a habit I am soon to pick back up now.

I have become quite the merchant it seems. People know me now by name from as far as Norwick to Peltarch. Good for business I think. I have made several friends over the course of the time I have spent here. None as good as Durai probably, even though I see less and less of him these days. It seems our lives are starting to lead us down separate paths, but nothing that can’t be remedied. I’ll need to seek him out more in Jiyyd before he starts out traveling each day.

I find myself now in a precarious position. The group I am now working with has been good to me so far. One member in particular has been exceptionally kind. Something I am sure not to forget. I am surrounded these days by more than a few people. I have two people working for me now in the Norwick region and soon to be one more. They are proving their worth to me by selling a few odd items here and there. Once they have proven their loyalty I will begin to let them push some more expensive items. I pity them though if they decide to cheat me. I’m sure my fellows will be more than disappointed to hear that.

I am learning to fight a little better as it is. I suppose I just had to work on the skills and Miss Anna has offered to help me in it. Though I have only went out with her once I hope to have a couple more trips with her and her soon to be husband even. One day Mister Sam will hopefully not drag me across the grass as he has done on prior occasions when I sat too close to the danger on the hill.

Speaking of Sam I worry for the guy. He is as strong as an ox, but he has gotten a few enemies lately. I wouldn’t say enemies, but more or less younger fellas who think they can best the big guy. I would only hope that if there is some type of fighting between Sam and anyone else that it is a fair fight. For their sake. Even though the large man still intimidates me I would not see someone resort to trickery to harm him.

Juno has reportedly passed some rumors that Durai's mother had ran away with an old love. Durai apparently dueled Juno and lost. We will see where this leads, but I’d imagine it will anger Sam greatly. I wouldn’t want to be standing toe to toe with the giant of a man, but Juno is apparently braver than I am.

• Nico lays sweating in his bead at the Boarshead. His sleep has been restless to say the very least…..

“Welcome to Nico’s General Store.” The words were his he knew. “I’ve got many fine items. The occasional sword or two. Sometimes even a magical bauble if you are interested.”

He turned in his sleep his brow furrowing as some sweat dripped onto the soft pillow comforting his head. He was standing there then. In his finest blue shirt with a smile upon his face. It was like looking into a mirror though not. It was him, just a younger Nico. How much has the man changed over the years…..

“Have a look around and let me know if I can help you.” He was there beside himself listening and admiring that blue shirt. He always loved it for it’s soft fabrics and elegant collar. The youthful young shop owner standing beside the slightly older man. If it weren’t for those large sideburns could you even tell they were one in the same?

Nico’s breathing settles as a young woman comes into the shop and his face then relaxes. “Hello there Miss. Looking for anything in particular?” He turns softly in bed this time his hands releasing their tight grip on the sheets.

“Why I think we might have one right over here.”

He watches as he walks toward a table cluttered with a large amount of various items. The supplies are scattered and unkept. No organization can be seen and he smirks watching himself sort through the pile. His shop the direct opposite of how he kept his person. The blue shirt striking an amazing contrast to the cluttered table.

“Well I know we have one here somewhere…”

He smiles as he watches his youthful hands rummage through turning over a small pot at one point to send the metal container smashing to the floor loudly. “I’m so sorry Miss…I didn’t mean to startle you.” Standing hands on his hips he picks up the pot and replaces it amongst the other items yet again. “Well looks like we are all sold out.”

His body relaxes in the bed and a small smile creeps across the sleeping man’s face. Turning to his right side he hears himself again…

“Well it is quite a mess, but I just got started.” He smoothes down his sideburns watching himself do the very same thing as if it were a reminder to himself that they needed attention.

He turns again in bed and the vision becomes cloudy…almost gone…Then his face contorts again as his body stiffens. The sweat which had a short while ago subsided began to trickle down his face yet again. The heavy blanket covering himself slides to the floor in a crumpled heap. He was there again….sitting… Two figures to each side of him as he sat there in his plush chair. The figures too cloudy to see, but his own face shown out like a campfire on the plains at night. His features a bit more striking now as he looked at himself. Deeper lines ran in his brow and the youthful look now gone. And there it was again…..a single black tear slowly trailing down his cheek…..

With a loud thump Nico finds himself on the floor joining the blanket that covered his bare body. He sits there in his darkness for a moment…leaning against the bed. Looking over he sees Frostbite there with it’s subtle blue shimmer from the moonlight outside that had crept through the window.

The door silently closes as he walks downstairs. A peaceful sleep had escape him once again. He wipes his eyes with the back of his hand as he opens the door to walk out into the moonlight.

• Today I found myself wandering from Peltarch to Norwick. A trip that is becoming all too familiar for me. Only this time I had a nice surprise waiting just on the outskirts of town. One of the bandit clerics was waiting on me. An ambush was set and I was caught off guard and burdened by my heavy pack. A mistake I am not soon to make again.

I was hit before I saw the swing. A solid shot to my right shoulder as I passed the tree. I spun quickly to see my attacker. He smiled a wicked smile and I quickly offered him my gold. That would not do though. He wanted my life. Not as if I would have given him much anyway. I quickly drew my whip from my side and watched as it unrolled with a slight crack. I thought this might be enough to give my attacker second thoughts, but sadly, it wasn’t. He came on as I dropped a crossbow from my pack and hit me very hard across my back. Let that be another lesson to never bend down when someone is trying to kill me.

My whip flew out with a crack and connected solidly with the man’s cheek leaving a gash under his left eye. A very solid hit, but alas, a whip is no defense against a sturdy shield and mace. My shortsword dove in quickly after, thinking to strike the would be robber low. His shield shifted to intercept the blow and that mace of his came down hard again. This time it was nothing more than a glancing blow, but one that sent me reeling. I stumbled backwards.

My shoulders ached as I stood there looking at what I thought to be my killer. He smiled at me and I knew it was time to fight or die. I could have ran to town maybe…..I should have. I didn’t want to cause a problem though, and getting through the gate before the next swing would have been more trouble than it would have been worth. I swung my whip back circling my enemy. He smirked noting the stiffness in my movement. No emotion escaped my features as I chose my next target. This time I would surprise the man. I lunged forward with my right spinning my whip around the mans waist.

Though it did no real damage through his armor it did cause the man to look down….a mistake. My shortsword was stabbing before he had time to look up. The blade sliced through his weapon arm. He howled in pain. I winced from the effort exerted in the motion. My shoulder ached as it has never had before.

The priest backed up pulling his arm in tight and gritting his teeth through the pain. He then called upon whatever god he prayed to in order to aid him….another mistake. The short prayer opened a window of opportunity. Albeit a small one I saw it. I leaped out again with my whip leading the way. I caught the man in mid prayer leaving another deep gash in the side of his neck. He would think twice before praying during a fight.

Blood trickled down his neck and into his colorful armor. Again the whip doing little damage other than a distraction, but that is why I use it. He lunged forward with a wild swing which swept just above my ducking head. I came up quickly with a shoulder trying to barrel the man to the ground. My shoulder could not stand the force of the blow and I was forced back yet again. This time he was ready and I felt the shield he carried smash into my head. I barely had time to gather my wits before another swing of that mace came in. I ducked again this time pulling myself down toward the grass and rolled backwards. My shoulder ached from the move and I gritted my teeth determined to not let my attacker see my weakness.

I came back in quick after the swing pulling in close….too close. My whip became virtually ineffective so I punched out with my right hand, then again connecting with his face. The blood from his gashed cheek was now on my knuckles as he stumbled back. He began to call out to his god again. One would have thought he learned from the first experience. I smiled as I heard the prayer going out. My whip snapped out taking advantage of his distraction and soon he wore the end of it as a necklace.

I yanked hard spinning him around then down to the ground. His time had come. As I dashed down to land on his chest with my knee I smiled looking into his eyes. You should have taken the gold offered I said to him as my shortsword found it’s mark in his tender throat. A bit of blood spurted up from the new wound covering my armor and part of my face. I stumbled back leaving my sword there for a moment as his body lay twitching on the ground. I sat there for a moment beside the road looking. Staggering to my feet I stepped on the man’s face and pulled my sword free. I then took what I could find on him. The mace broke in the fall I suppose so I left it lying. I then stumbled into town. It was time to wash up……

• As I sit here under my now favorite tree, as if I had a favorite before though, I am longing for something. Not quite sure what it is yet though. Nico rubs a still fresh bruise on his shoulder. Tari had walked downstairs of the Boarshead a couple tenday ago and stopped to annoy me yet again. The two ladies I was with got a good lecture on how I was not the right man for either. As if she would know anything about that. I am glad that clingy elf is out of my hair.

With Aragon gone now I suppose the Black Falcons are gone as well. Though I would have kept something going, but the fool would keep too many secrets. Like who were the other members. I suppose that is all the better news for my other associates. I wonder when my employer will deliver on the goods he spoke of during our first meeting. I am somehow starting to doubt his commitment to me and that is disheartening. I might have to have a talk with him soon.

• Sitting around the fire has become quite the profitable venture for me. I finally sold that armor I had been carrying and have a buyer lined up for the second suit. Though I might just keep it for myself. Never know when a person will have to turn to fighting.

I spoke with Durai for some length of time recently. Met a few more of his fathers friends as well. They all seem to be very friendly and equally fond of Mister Kanen. Durai introduced me to a older gentleman who apparently knows a great deal of information. Adam I think his name. He was the one with the seemingly bottomless coin purse at the auction. I’ll have to remember his face.

Durai went out with a small group while sitting at the south fire and of course I had to follow. Mostly standing back and chatting with Miss Green or occasionally catching up with Durai to have a chat. As the group entered the forest to the east we had company waiting.

One of the larger goblins was waiting along with a friend of his. Someone had led them a bit too close for my liking. The duo caught the small group unaware and in the middle of conversation. I went for my whip and sword instinctively catching the first with the whip. The whip snapped around the goblins throat with lightning quickness leaving a large gash where the tender flesh of the neck once was. The goblin fell to the forest floor never to breathe again.

Not breaking stride I turned to meet the second who was focusing on a stranger to my eyes in the group. My short sword leaped out digging into the flesh of the large goblins back. Tearing through flesh and bouncing off a rib it found its mark in the unfortunate goblins lung. The goblin fell beside his companion my blade still in his back. Let that be a lesson to never turn your back in battle.

I pulled my sword free of the goblin spewing forth a small amount of the beast’s blood. Quickly I wiped the blood off on the grass and sheathed the sword. The whip was a bit harder to clean as the skin from the first’s neck still clung to it. I managed though.

I quickly looked around at the group and put away my weapons. Not one for fighting, or should I say not one to let others know that I can handle myself in a scrape I decided to watch from afar. Hiding in the tree line I watched as Durai and the others dropped goblin after goblin. Durai only calling upon his god one time in order to heal one of the lesser skilled members of the group. Clearly it was no challenge for them.

We set up camp that night as we progressed through the forest. Green gathered the wood as I took out some flint and tinder to get it started. Durai was on watch most of the time though the others seemed quite content to be by the fire. I watched as Durai passed back and forth several times constantly looking out for our safety. He will be a good man one day.

Fighting sleep I wandered back through the forest after a brief rest. The rest of the group had gotten a head start on me, but I was content in the fact they could handle themselves. I strolled along watching a shorter goblin walk past my hiding spot in the trees. Contemplating lunging out with my whip and dragging the goblin back into the shadows I decided to let him pass. I am no killer after all. I wanted to get back to the Boarshead and have a drink of Misty's wine more than I wanted the blood on my boots.

• Nico sits near his tree close to Vino’s fire watching out into the field below and begins to write.

I find myself seeing more and more running out into the wilds only to return on the brink of death and begging for a healing. I do not know how or why the local priests find it in them to heal them. They continually run out even after they have had a brush with death, blessed by whatever god may have pity on them, only to return in the same or worse condition. I will never understand why the priests do it.

I had a dream recently…..A dream I paid for of all things. I paid a gnome a single gold piece to give me an illusion. He cast a spell on me near the south gate of Norwick and I fell into a slumber. My mind a swirl of darkness and dancing dwarves…..

Nico closes the book a moment and looks out into the fields again. He sits a short while before opening the book to continue writing…..

A dark dream it was indeed. I saw blades swirling and heard the cracking of a whip. Then I saw myself, sitting, but not alone. I was flanked by two others, one to each side. Two that remained hidden from me. All I saw was the outline of their features, and I cannot be for sure, but one appeared to be an elf. As I sat there in my plush seat, flanked by the two dark strangers something odd happened. A single black tear trailed down my cheek. What this could mean is beyond me at this point. Nothing more than a bad dream I say. I should have gotten my gold back for it I suppose.

Nico stands to stretch out his legs and arms then closes the book and stores it away.

Time to get out and be somebody I suppose.

He straps on his newly acquired armor and heads out north yet again.

• Working for the Falcons has yet to pay off for me. Mister Stormblade needs to find me more work or I will soon fly away. Different work. Apparently I am the only one who has been actually doing anything. All the better for me I suppose. I will manage to get my way to the top of the list somehow. I think I will ask Aragon for a higher position soon. Perhaps second to him. Then I would start recruiting more members for his little group.

The auction at Spellweaver was more than interesting. I purchased a few things and I hope they will be worth the time I spent sitting there. Though the company was good and I did enjoy Miss Pebbles and her antics. That is one elf I would like to get to know a bit more, but the likelihood is very low.

I am now the owner of some fine elven armors. Some leather and some chain amongst other things. A wand of some minor magics that I bought recently, and a few weapons of quality. I have managed to make quite a few deals lately and I think of Mister Hightower each time and his assessment of me being a businessman. True I suppose. Well moreso now than ever.

Speaking of Durai. I worry for his safety. There seems to be no end of problems following him. I suppose I will stay closer by his side in the future. Perhaps unseen, but there. Mister Sam is over protective and for good reason. You never know where your enemies are….. I actually find myself wondering just where his enemies are. I think Miss Shalia means well for him, but then again. You never know who is out to get you I suppose.

• My what tangled webs we weave. It seems I am in the middle of events that are far above me. Though I have yet to choose a path I know which one I must follow….

• Nico opens the crisp pages of the new book he just purchased from Frago running a hand over the now blank pages. He walks to the hill where Vino keeps his fire warm and leans against the tree and begins to write…

I have been in Narfell for a while now, and to my surprise I have settled in a dirty little town of all places. Strangely enough I find myself making friends here. Now who would have thought that? Though I am not sure what it is that draws me from my mission. Could it be that I am lacking the desire to continue my futile attempts thus far? Perhaps it is just time to take a break though and relax.

As my newfound friend Durai has seemingly dubbed me, I am seemingly becoming quite the businessman. It seems that information sells well in this small town of Norwick. Probably much more than the larger city to the north. The desire for material goods is great too. I have made quite a profit thus far, and have several things lined up soon. I might even make quite the businessman as Durai suggests.

Speaking of the young man. I have watched his relationship with a certain young priestess of Sune grow. It seems the two are rather fond of one another and perhaps a deeper relationship will grow. Though that is if the large, giant of a man, Sam, can stay out of it.

I think that Sam is concerned for Durai. A friend of his fathers apparently and it seems Durai’s personal bodyguard now. A fine friend to have. I will have to stay close to Durai so as to benefit from the large man’s protection as well. I noticed the scars on his body and can only imagine where they came from. Though I will make it a point not to prod the big man for any answers. He doesn’t seem like the talking type.

I recently took the young lady with myself and mister Stormblade for a walk in the forest. She had another friend accompany us as well. Illyana was her name. A name I have made it a point to not forget. I find myself over protective of Shalia for now. Not quite sure why though. I think it is because I would like to see the two of them together. If I can’t be happy in love at least someone should be I suppose. I think there is als*o something else there, but what I cannot tell just yet.

Speaking of love. Tari has not been around for a few days. Not that I mind, but then again I do miss her attention. Though over affectionate she is, it is nice. I will have to let her down easy. I at least owe here that. I have not the time for such reckless affections from a young, by elf standards anyway, lady. We will see how that turns out, but I imagine it will not be pleasant. Perhaps a romp between the sheets before she goes though. I at least owe her that as well.

I need to speak with Aragon and Deron soon. Both quite the employer thus far. Though if one knew of the other… I could only imagine the problems it would cause. I am true to Deron as long as his goals and mine stay on the same path. Speaking of which I need to find the elf soon.

*He closes the book and sits there for another few moments watching the shadowy figures run into the Rawlinswood in search of goblin prey and a path they think will lead to fame. Leaning against the tree he yawns and places the well-bound book in his pack amongst his growing collection of oddities. With another yawn and a lengthy stretch of his limbs he head off north. *