The hardest path...

• A small leather bound journal rests in her lap as her hand dips the quill into the ink, thoughts racing through her mind faster than she can write them down.

I present my thoughts in words. Upon these pages I shall scribble what comes to my mind so as I will forever remember I am a free woman. No man shall hold me down; no society shall affect my thoughts, my freedoms. I have been freed of the physical chains of slavery for nearly ten years, yet my mind has been bonded to all I meet. Today I break that chain. Today I walk away.

I shall soon enough return to my life, or what is left of it that I still desire. Those that knew me before I started my own path will still know me. It will be their decision of whether they choose to notice and/or accept the changes. I will not bend for no one. My life is my own. For once, it is what -I- make of it. My own philosophies, my own beliefs, my faith renewed. For those that think ill of me, my indifference shall mock them. I live not for one man, for one group, for one god even; although it is Him who has set me free. My prayers of thanks to Him will echo through the nights forever more, my faith driving me to accomplish for myself, in return honoring Him.

In regards to the one I love, I hope (know) he will understand the change. I know he revels in his independence, thus he should respect mine. I have too long been a sheep, something to mock and ridicule, clinging to many shepherds. How could I lead, equal, or demand respect when I could not stand upon my own feet? I am self-sufficient. I know this now and can give freely of myself the pieces I wish to share without fear of losing everything.