" sitting on her bed, Mal'lanar gazed at the ceiling...

• Sitting on her bed, Mal'lanar gazed at the ceiling with a blank stare. Suddenly slamming both fists down onto the rough blanket with a sullen thud, she jumped to her feet.

" I'll be damned if he doesn't have the very attitude of Tal'kiera..the golden haired fool. The way he swaggers around"

Mimics the action of his step as she paces the room, head cocked in a comical reprisentation of the object of her vehemence..

" well met young moon elf, I am Avelain Feine…"

her voice overly shrill and contemptous, she let the outburst blow her back to the bed where she dropped down heavliy with a sigh.

" Well HE will not cut me as deep as Tal has, he is no relation of mine, thank her song"

With the metion of her eldest sisters name, she returned her eyes to the ceiling, her mind falling into a memory long thought forgotten..

• Mal'lanar let out an all too loud shriek of surprise as she turned and looked herself up and down in the mirror. What stared back from the gilded, full length portal, could not have been any further from what she has hoped to see. She rounded on her sister with a gaping mouth.

" Ran'nalier….I would not even leave the ROOM like this, let alone the house and parade around! Where in the hells did you come by such a dress?"

Her elder sister, the middle child to be true, simply waved her hands in dismissal from her place on the bed. She leant back on her elbows and tisked out a reply.

"Honestly Mal'la, you yap like a farm wife! How do you ever expect to catch his eye tonight if you do not first give him something to look at? As for the dress...it is mothers, so you had best ask her if you are wanting the name of the tailor!"

Ran'nalier sat up straight leisurely, picked a fine bone comb off her side table and began to rake it through her milky, shoulder length hair. With a grin barely visible on her lips, she watched as Mal'lanar pulled at the dress in a desperate attempt to cover her self. It always amused her how, from seven children all daughters only she seemed to realise she was a woman.

" Don't worry at It Little Coin, it is silk not some mail vest to play soldier in! Are you going to tell me a little of this man who has your blood afire or should I go and ask another? Perhaps they would be more forthcoming than you? Aye, that is what I will do...."

She made to stand up. Mal'lanar, despite trying to hold the dress both up and down at once, bolted to the door. Slamming it shut and pressing her back against it, she firmly blocked the exit to the hallway.

" Ra', you wouldn't! Promise me you won't say a breath of this to anyone, please...you know how Tal'kiera is! She would spit fire if she even knew but a little! Please Ra' promise me please!"

Her younger sisters pleading did strike a chord in her, but not one strong enough to make her stop her teasing just yet. She loved all her sisters dearly, but she would take every opportunity to play them like a harp when the chance arose. There was no malice in it, but she took a certain pride in being able to wind them up tighter than a twine ball, simply with her words.

"What I do and do not do, depends quite entirely on what you do and do not tell me Mal'lanar! Is it the tall Lancer in the guards? It is is it not..I have had my eye on him myself for sometime. You have better taste than I gave you credit for girl! When you have had your fill of him, throw him to me and I will finish him off most delightfully"

Watching Mal'lanar clasp a hand to her mouth in shock, she stroked her dark skinned hands together seductively and laughed in a husky voice. Mal'lanar's voice was more full of shock than anger as she replied.

" Ran'la do not say such things! If mother heard she would have you thrown in the mill pond with out a stitch on!"

Ran'nalier's eyes lit up as she answered quickly.

" That would not bother me a grain of sand, not if he was the one to throw me in! He is delicious is he not? Good enough to ......"

Her sentence was cut short as she ducked nimbly, what appeared to be a slipper sailing over her and cracking off the wall behind. Perhaps it was time to tone down the game a while. If it provoked Mal'lanar enough to toss objects then, it may well be more serious than she had first thought. Sitting straight she patted the bed next to her, motioning her younger sister to sit with a smile.

"Come now my Little Gold Coin, sit her and I will fix your hair as you tell me what you will. I can not have you walking around in such a fine dress with a mess of waste-brambles atop your pretty head"

Mal'lanar sulked over to her and sat with her back to the older girl. As Ran'nalier began to stroke the comb gently through her sisters hair she could see her visibly relax. She briefly remembered all the times as children she had done the very same, telling her two young twins about what lay outside the walls and the fabulous tales she had read. Her Attention jerked back as Mal'lanar began to explain.

" He troubles me deeply Ra', he truly does! I find my self wanting to strangle the fool, for all his witless remarks and comments...but his smile has a way of cooling my anger faster than it fans the flames! I am at a loss, a complete loss. I must sound such a child to you?"

Ran'nalier leaned over to the side table, grabbed handful of hair pins and spoke in a soothing voice.

" If this Raland sees fit to buy you such a pretty thing as this necklace, and is willing to scale your wall to give it...then perhaps there is something more to it than just a flight of fancy"

Mal'lanar jerked her head around, the look of amazement returning to her face.

"You knew, how could you know? If Am'la told you..I swear I will tan her hide with vine-rope when I get catch her next..I swear I..."

Her rant was cut short by a short, sharp tap on her forehead with the comb and a stern look from Ran'nalier.

" Lady knows I am many things girl, but one thing I am not is a fool, or a blind one at that. He had to climb by my window to get to yours and no one does such a thing with me knowing it! Besides that, he does very little to hide the joy he feels when you arrive near him, let alone share words!

Mal'lanar sagged her head and listened dejectedly.

" If it were me Little Coin, I would stop running away from what my heart told me I should do. It servers no purpose to avoid some things, and just because it is not as plain as the sword you hold or as easy to follow as the dance you weave does not make it any less worthy. I do not tell you to let him drag you to the hayloft on a whim, but that you should at least try. Go and dance with him a while, you may find it to your liking...or I may be wrong and he is nothing more than a grinning fool. If so come to me and tell me I am wrong, but a wager a bag of crowns that the only reason you return is to borrow something more, shall we say exotic, from my wardrobe"

Clapping her hands together she gently pushed her younger sister to her feet and turned her around. A smile of satisfaction crossed her face as she admired her handiwork.

" I am finished my Little Coin, and so are you...now off you go fore the music stops!"

She shooed her to the door and watched as Mal'lanar shuffled over to the exit, then turn briefly. She looked at her with a smile and the girl replied quietly.

" You know that I love Ran'la? You know that don't you?"

Ran'nalier simply waved her to the door with a smile, then leaned back on the bed resting on her elbows. It wasn't until she heard the door click shut and the soft padding of Mal'lanar's feet on the stares did she sit up straight.

And it wasn't until she heard the sound of gravel crunching underfoot in the courtyard, below did she allow herself to cry

• The tired cadets sat in lines on the parade ground floor. Legs crossed and hands on knees, as was the way they had been taught, they ignored tired muscles and bruised pride as Blade master Malen stood in front of them thumbs tucked into his sword belt. He paced about a while, taking in their faces and apprehensive stares. In a rough voice he addressed them after a moments thought.

"Well then now my little Dune rats, it would seem that Old Stonecraw and me have shaped some of the sword-kin into Ya! To think that I had 70 crowns that said I would've laid you down to rest be'now! Now I don't know whether to break out the ale keg…..or make you dogs run me a pretty turn around the yard for putting me so far out of purse!

With the last comment a wicked grin ran across his face, to which was replied a almost inaudible sigh of resignation from the young troops.

" Now if there is one thing Ole' Malen hates, its to lose coin and more so to Stone-brother...no matter how long he's been known to me..."

Some of the recruits actually let their heads drop, readying themselves for another round of the Swordmasters sadism.

" And the could be nothing that'd please me more than to see ya' run my training ground a new trail, especially with the Romany taking up for the night....It wouldn't be right of me to let my young un's be corrupted by the Dancin' folk now would it!"

The gypsy caravans had arrived only that morning, and every recruit had been looking forward to at least seeing the dancing that sundown. Now it seemed that was more than just a distant dream judging from the look in Malen's eye.

"NOW THEN ON YOUR FEET!!"

Malen's bark sent the troops hurtling upwards in unison, standing stiff and alert, hearts heavy but ready to accept whatever the old devil had to throw at them.

" You've been 'ere some time now my Bladelings, some time....Smiling Jack, yes lad you! Tell an old man how long you have been here now then my pretty lad! And mind you get it right now Jack or this old man will have you running faster than than a sand hare!"

Raland stiffened as Malen asked him the question, but the smile never left his face as the old soldier stopped but 5 inches from him in the front row. The collective tension of the entire troop could very well have crushed coal enough to make a glitter stone as they waited for the answer. None though were as pensive as Mal'lanar, and her sister who, through no choice of her own, was subject to the wave of emotions that were currently colliding within her twin.

As Raland made to answer, over powering feelings of concern hit Ami'lanar.However, they were not for the group and centred on only one person. She shot a sideways glance at her sister, but as usual she stood stock still, face emotionless.

"We have all been here for a 12 moon Blademaster! A twelve moon and three days exactly Blademaster!"

The old soldier stepped in even closer to Raland and stared him in the eye. Hearts stopped and breaths caught in what seemed like a life time, but jerked back to reality as the older man slapped the young troop playfully on the cheek.

" So your nay just a pretty face then Jacko? You have a brain behind that mug O' yours!! Well now a twelve moon is it now? Is that right Stonecraw, have we bin a'wastin' our time for almost a Cycle with these young ones?"

The gruff dwarf simply grunted and Malen turned back to the troops.

"Well then, well then"

He paused a while and paced back up and down the line.

" So there I was my Young Swords, there I was a'talking with your sergeant and I said " Stone-brother, these young ones they need to be protected from them dancin' folks" i said "may-haps we should have them run the grounds to keep 'em from mischief! Oh my heart was set on such a thing, and 70 crowns down to boot it seemed like fair payment."

Sighs rose and were quickly silenced by a sharp look from Malen.

" ...but as I turned to walk out the barracks I hears me a little noise, and I turned back only to find my old friend here with a silver tear in his eye"

..with that he walked over to an angry looking Stonecraw and placed a hand on his shoulder. Quizzical expressions passed over the faces of the troopers.

" "Now I've been long from the halls< but in my time I thought I had seen 'em all that had a heart as hard as stone...but you are something from a kinsman's tale" That's what he did say to me, nay plead I think it was. He said " There will come a time when they stand side a'side on the field.. dancing their songs for all to see and the Lady riding the battle along above them, there will come a time when they will see brothers and sisters of the sword fall beyond reach and have to leave them on the field..songs lost on the wind. Them times will come Malen!" He said to me "Them times are coming soon and on dark horses, so let 'em have their fun. Let 'em see what they are fightin' for and why its worth it at all." "

The troops stood in a hushed silence, all listening intently, marvelling at the sight they saw before them. Malen walked away from the dwarf and stepped in-front of the ranks, voice unusually quiet.

" He has a poets heart, that stone-brother, he does..and he chipped this old mans armour with its silver tongue. Them times are coming Bladelings, make no mistake but I mean to see you ready for when they do. Some will fall, and some songs will end but there will always be those to pick up the tune and sing it a fresh. But no one can sing a song they never took the time to learn and you must know you sword-kin closer than any other. Ties are forged here young ones, ties that never break........"

Silence filled the court yard.

"NOW GET OFF WITH YOU'S AND IF I HEAR OF ANY OF THE ROMANY FOLK BEIN' BOTHERED BY ANY OF YOU WASTE DOGS I'LL SKIN YA MA'SELF ...MARK MY WORDS WELL!!"

The cadets jumped in their skins and starred blankly as they watched him turn his back and walk away. Only Stonecraws dismissal gave them reason to leave and slowly they peeled off in the direction of the barracks to change for the nights festivities.

With a swift backward glance Raland shot a all too familiar grin at Mal'lanar. It froze her blood for just a moment before a flush of anger washed over her and she stormed off to her rooms. Ami'lanar could not help thinking with a sigh, how much of an eventful night it may well turn out to be..to which a sharp jolt of anger rattled down her spine in response from a distant Mal'lanar.

Stonecraw pushed open the barracks door and stood in he doorway eyeing his sullen friend, obviously lost in his own reverie. Drawing deep from a mug of ale ready for him on the table, he dropped in the chair next to the sword master. Belching loudly and letting out a sigh of contentment he turned to Malen.

"Your a good man, stone-friend as good as any I have met this side of the clan halls........but you nay had to tell 'em that I wept!"

Malen starred at the dwarf with a blank look for one moment then exploded in to peals of deep, genuine laughter. He clapped a hand on the pained looking dwarfs shoulder and raised a toast as the wild music of the Romany set the night air on fire.

• Closing the door firmly behind her, Mal'lanar clicked the lock soundly sealing herself in her room at the Boars Head. Hands shaking, she reached for the locket around her neck, leaned back against the solid oaken door and slid down to the ground.

Left hand clenched around her silver treasure she raised her right, only to let it fall rapidly to her side as she saw just how much she was shaking. In the silence of her room disturbed only by the dull mummer of the tap room, she let her mind flick over the days events.

It seemed as though it had happened to another, memories of wicked stabbing blades in the hands of green figures paled her face. She had gone down, that much she remembered and as she fell surrounded by the foul creatures; she could remember looking past them calmly, past her comrades, past the trees to the hill line and directly into the eyes of the Lady. The lady had simply smiled, shook her head and walked away calmly to the trees.

As she saw his face in her minds eye she gripped harder on the silver locket and starred at the wall in front of her. Eyes blank, tears ran lightly down her face, but her mind was lost to memory.

• The rain seemed to finish as it had begun, a visiting gift from the clearing sky to the sandy land below. Enough to let the green know what it had left behind with the break of spring and the encroaching summer. Pools of rain water seemed to shrink before the eye in the dusty ground as though the earth, desperate with thirst drank at them greedily.

As the ground began to steam lightly before them, Mal'lanar and her sister swiftly stripped off their oil-skin cloaks. Shaking them briefly, they folded the garments neatly and placed them on the ground behind their positions. Each waiting for the other to finish, before placing her own on the ground, never once leaving the approach to the estates unobserved.

Ami'lamar, turning back to her position, clacked her spear sharply to her side. Looking sideways at her sister she frowned inwardly. The connection she shared with Mal'lanar was providing her with the strangest sensations. They stood in silence, speaking on door duty was a whipping offence that she was sure not even Raland would commit if he stood where she now did. Thinking of the name resulted in a near staggering swell of emotion from Mal'lanar.

Ami'lanar glowered inwardly, returning her sisters feelings with more of her own. If the girl thought she had time for the man, let alone the desire or inclination! Well she was more the fool than she looked, stood there stone faced, a storm of unchecked feelings. Apology crept from Mal'lanar on the back of an embarrassed wave. Ami'lanar, relaxing smiled back, soothing and understanding.

The gift they both shared was something they had never spoken to others about, and one they barely understood. At times if she closed her eyes she could imagine her twin stood across from her, every feeling alive on her face but unable to speak. They had long since given up trying to speak to each other, it simply didn't work like that and perhaps for the better. Ami'lanar would not like to hear what raged in Mal'lanar's mind at this moment.

For a moment the turmoil vanished, and a frightening silence settled upon Ami'lanar. Glancing worriedly to her side, she saw her sister starring hard out toward the grass line. Following her line of sight, he eyes drew to the lightest of movements. Proud swelled from her as she mused on how Mal'lanar could have noticed such a thing as caught up as she must be in her thoughts. A whip-crack of mild anger lashed the back of her mind, shattering the silence that had settled there, Mal'lanar resounding to her sisters thought.

A light wind rippled the grass and the movement within froze a moment. Seconds later a small grey bundled rolled from the cover twisting as it did. The young fox, sprang to its feet only to knocked down back again by its playmate bounding from the grass. The two began to play and snap bites at each other in mock battle, short barks and growls barely breaking the silence. Taking another tumble the first of the young animals rolled up wards, to look directly at the two Guards stood in silenced awe.

Rising to its feet, it barked to the playmate who ceased the game swiftly and looked ready to bolt. Obviously the bolder of the two, Grey crept a few steps closer curiosity peaked. Moving slowly, body ready to sprint at any moment the young grey was trailed by the other as it closed the distance. Stopping not 10 feet from the sisters, it barked lightly and the other sprinted to its side, brushing up close, long tail twisting around the others. Heads touching as they stood almost entwined, the two silver-fox cubs looked up at the sisters with placid stares.

Ami'lanar breathed out as slowly as possible, having realised she was holding her breath. Standing stock still, she stared back at the creatures mind numbed with disbelief, warmed only by the link with Mal'lanar feeding her a reflection of her own feelings. Two see a silver-fox in the waste was one of two things so the Romany said. They came as bearers of messages both Ill and benevolent. They could help travellers find their way so the stories said, or lead them off to die alone in the barren dunes of the Endless waste. But what this meant she could not begin to fathom…Two cubs watching them, no inspecting them from such a close distance!

The silence was shattered by a call and both animals streaked away, a blur of silver.

"YOU ARE SEEN WATCHERS, WE COME ARMS DOWN AND HEARTS BARE"

The day watch stood behind the closed gate, shouting out the traditional gesture when approaching guards on duty. Ami'lanar and her sister stared after the fleeing grey streaks only to see it stop a moment turn back and bark loudly, as though in response to the replacements.

" YOU ARE SEEN AND WELCOME WITH BLADES LOW, ARMS OPEN"

The sisters chanted in unison and seconds later the shift opened the gate slowly, a tall man and a heavy set woman striding through. A sudden wave of recognition flooded from Mal'lanar as the two soldiers stepped out of the court yard to take position. Ami'lanar responded with confusion of her own, but received no answer. Jaglan, the tall man spoke roughly.

"the night was all quiet Blade-sisters ?"

"Aye, Lance Jalgan. All passed well with nothing to remark"

The officer nodded as Ami'lanar answered swiftly. Mal'lanar simply saluted, waves of what felt vaguely like disrespect mixed with envy streaming from her as she looked at the two guardsmen. Ami'lanar walked in to the courtyard and turned to make sure her twin followed.
    As she did she saw Mal'lanar clutching something around her neck Staring out towards the grass line as the gates were drawn shut.

" I am hungry as a Waste-dog Mal'la, do not dally or there will be nothing left to break the fast with!"

"aye, aye I am coming "

They strode off towards the kitchens , pausing only briefly in their step at a shrill barking that seemed to come over the walls. Turning to her sister Ami'lanar laughed happily and took her hand in her own pulling her along behind her.

Looking down from her balcony an elegant woman with golden hair to her waist sighed as she heard the fox bark from the distance. Looking down as the two women walked hand in hand toward the building, she smiled to her self somewhat sadly.

" you would be so proud of them Car'vernu, they are women grown but they have not lost the childhood you struggled to give them.

Smiling lightly with genuine pleasure she took one last look at her daughters a they strode to the kitchen door, their laughter rising above the sounds of the waking workers. Laughing herself she moved from the window shutting it behind her.

• The scuffle of feet approaching in the dusty gravel froze the embracing couple mid-breath. Hearts beating faster than they were only moments ago, they held each other tighter still. The space between the two barracks offered scant room. Though what it lacked in comfort, a point that was the furthest thing from their minds, it made up for in seclusion. Pressing her closer to his chest, they tried as best they could to melt into the shadows as the footsteps paced closer still.
    Even through the raw fear of being caught, he could think of nothing other than the touch of her hair against his neck. He wondered morbidly if that thought would still be there, when she was long gone, a noose replacing her touch.
    He felt her breathing stop as the approaching sentries voices became barely audible. Talking on the watch was strictly forbidden, though he doubted that would be much of a defence when they were dragged before the watch commander.
    The two guards stopped just short of the wall space, the sound of silence almost deafening in his ears. Without a second thought, he pulled her face to his own lips but a fraction from each other, and whispered.

" If this is to be the last time we meet, then you must have something worthy of a Silver-tounges tale to remember me by"

Any other time she would have scoffed at his overly dramatic behaviour, calling him a wool-headed fool. But no she could think of nothing more fitting than his comments. Not giving him time to finish she snaked a hand through his hair and pulled his lips to hers, smiling inwardly at the surprise in his eyes. Reluctantly pulling away, she looked up at him.

" Then let them sing about that, and have away with them"

She then buried her head into his chest and awaited the inevitably chaos that waited just feet from the gap. Her heart nearly burst as she watched the two guards pace by, engaged in a heated, but hushed argument. Close to tears, her knees weakened as she listened to the foot steps trail away towards the mess hall.
    Feeling her sag, he strengthened his grip on her and waited. In moments that seemed to him like days on end, he crept to the edge of the wall space and peered out after the two figures. Turning quickly and flashing a nervous grin he took her arm and half pulled her from the dark. They slinked out into the lamp light, holding hands in a lingering moment. Breaking away , they made haste back to there bunks blood pounding in their ears.

" I swear in her name if you mention once mo….."

The guard broke from her whispered tirade to glance back down the path, hand dropping to her sword hilt as she did. Peering into the gloom she saw what she thought was a figure sprinting swiftly down the way they had just come, heading toward the woman's barracks.
    Stopping just a head, her partner turned on his heel, hand also flicking to his sword.

"I thought I saw someone..back there on the path. Sound the bell.and return with others"

As she made to move off she was jerked back slightly, a hand gripping her shoulder firmly. Turning back confused and angered she glared at her partner. He looked back blankly, trading her stare easily.

"What are you doing, we could be under attack...go sound the bell"

He held her shoulder firmly and replied calmly.

" Your jumping at shadows, What has got into you tonight? I have never seen you so before! You are as edgy as a foxling far from the tall grass!"

"Still your mouth...they will hear you, if you will not sound the alarm then I will...and I will leave you here to your fate"

Trying to shake free of his gripped she grew more angry then surprised as he let out a resigned sigh.

"Will you spoil the only moments they have together then? Who are you to ruin what my be the greatest moments of their lives eh? "

His words froze the guard in her steps. Letting her hand fall from his grasp, she answered.

" You mean to say that you knew they were there, you walked by them without a second thought! You know the rules better than I do...And what if I report this to Old Stonecraw..or worse still Malen? What then?"

Shrugging his shoulders and turning halfway, he looked back adding.

" Do as you will, or as you see fit. Aye, I know the rules, as well as I know that either one of us could fall the next sun up, of the next day, or the day after that..Who can say what she has written into our song? But I'll say this, I would happily fall knowing two of my sword kin had found something in each and I had played a part in letting that song be heard.
    I would die a hundred times or more!"

With that said Raland turned his back and paced off angrily; leaving Mal'lanar silently drowning, in a pool of lamp light.

• Burning muscles, sore feet, body bruised and tender a silent Mal'lanar stood panting next to the water barrel. Her mind racing with some of the more choice insults and curses she had heard Stonecraw use whilst drunk and less than happy. She leaned forward, grabbed a bucket after tearing off her dusty tunic. Upending the cold water on her self she sagged, only to stiffen quickly as she heard soft foot falls approach.

" Come any closer to me Raland and you will regret the day you ever came here, nay the day you were born"

Her voice hoarse and croaking, she turned to watch him completely ignore her warning in the rapidly fading twilight. Grabbing the bucket off her he ducked it in the trough and tipped the contents on himself gasping quickly.

" Woman..after today what makes you think I don't already regret that day?"

The steel in his voice made her start, unused to hearing such stern words from him she stood to tired to respond.

" I chased you from noon till dusk round those dammed walls, not one word from you…on top of the 100 laps I willing ran to save your face...then I fenced with you and took the full brunt of you anger..anger might i add that was unfounded. You ran into me Mal'lanar, not I into you! So before we both start fighting a new let us just take a moment to breath....please"

He locked eyes with her steadily, matching her tired gaze with his own. He only let his stare break as the silver locket round her neck shifted slightly, his eyes moving to it and a gentle if not tired smile crossing his face. Following his eyes she grabbed at the necklace quickly, trapping it in a clenched fist.

" I had no time to change, i had very little sleep last night if you remember..."

She let her overly bitter reply fall short as he leaned forward on the water bucket, head hanging low, his now shirtless back to her. he sighed almost silently. the night quiet drew out between them, as she let he grasp loosen on the locket.

"..i suppose it is enough that you wear it at all. That is all I can ask for and I will be happy at that"

He turned to look up at her.

" that is all i wish and I will be happy with that"

wearily he stooped down, grabbed his shirt and started towards the barracks shoulders stiff once more. She watched him shuffle off then spoke just loud enough for him to hear.

" It is beautiful...I do not deserve such a gift, it is more than I deserve...it"

Turning faster than she thought him capable of he was before her a moment, touching a finger to her lips. Face suddenly serious and full of emotion.

"Never let me hear you say such words again, never! You have no Idea what you are worth or what you do or do not deserve. You have not the slightest idea of what you are worth....what you are worth to me!"

He slowly pulled his hand from her lips and stared at her with a look she could not fathom. Her anger dissolved in a hearts beat she simply stared back speechless. He tensed as though he meant to move closer, but stepped back slowly instead the old grin spreading across his face as he spoke.

" You may look like light as a sand rose, but hit like a bull Mal'lanar...in more ways than you can ever know. Sleep well, your song be heard!"

With that he strode off towards the barracks swiftly. As he disappeared into the dark she shivered briefly. Grabbing her tunic, she cursed the night air but failed to convince herself. Turning toward the house she sprinted off among the buildings.

Taking a deep puff on his pipe as he moved from the window, Stonegraw rounded and took the chair across from Malan. Sighing as he sat he warmed his hands on the fire.

" Damn the founding stones if you weren't right old friend! You are ever the crafty silver-fox eh!"

Malan grinned but without any mirth, drawing on his own pipe as he did so.

"Old Stone-brother, the day you accept my word at its face will be the day they lay me out in the Waste for the dogs to take. I never made a Blade i couldn't recognise the cut of, and I'll be White ones beard if that Smiling jack didn't bear the mark of the very blade I gave Cal'vernus's youngest on her 10th name day!"

Shrugging he raised a foot and placed it on a footstool as the dwarf barked out a laugh.

" Aye, well there must be kinsman blood in them veins somewhere, cause not even I would have seen that mark as nothing more 'n a razor nick...the rub though, is what you intend to do about it? You mean to put an end to it swift like?"

Malen's face grew sombre as he thought of the answer.

"Ill be damned if I know what to do Algar...i met my own Kilea on the training ground, her song be heard and her dance seen by the lady. And I lost her in the field...but I wouldn't trade those days for all the mithril in the Spine. I'd be half the man I am today, and would've died long back ha' she not stood at my back in many a battle. Aye she could dance the blades Kilea! Do you remember old friend? The times she saved my skin, and yours in the deep green!"

Malens voice grew sad and he ran a finger down the ugly scar on his face. Watching his friends actions, not for the first time Stonegraw answered.

"She bought us the time we needed Malan, without it, without her we would be lying at the base of that hill. Our songs lost in the wind and no one left to sing of the sacrifice she made, you made!"

Reaching for his mug, he raised it and tapped Stonecraws cup in a toast.

" Aye, aye I know...I know but it don't make it hurt any less"

Taking a deep swig he turned and spat half of it into the fire, the flames jumping and twisting violently in response as he did.

• " Now then my pretty boy…where did you get such a lovely cut like then? You trying to out do old Malen are we?"

Blade master Malen rubbed a finger down the wicked line that ran from his forehead to his cheek. Some of the recruits said that he had gotten it holding a hill in the the foot-lands against marauders single handed, buying his platoon time to regroup. Others said his own mother gave it to him. The only thing each rumour had with the other was that it was said in hushed whispers well after Malen had passed out of earshot.

Raland's grin barely broke on his face, now jutting skyward as Malen pushed his head up as to get a better look at the mark. Down the parade line each recruit stared forward with as much determination as was physically possible. Mal'lanar more than most, the ever present feeling of her sisters mirth tickling the back of her mind.

"Cut my self shaving Blade master! I would never live long enough to come even close to you Blade master, let alone think about doing so Blade-master"

Raland barked back in response, body taunt and hands held firmly at his side. Letting his head go roughly, Malen stepped back, spat noisily on the ground and coughed out a harsh laugh obviously not convinced.

" You take me for a dullard youngling? I was shaving well fore you were a twinkle in your papa's eye! 100 laps of the yard for you my pretty boy....it should be more but a soldier that will lie to defend his sword-brothers might yet die for 'em if he has to! Get running now boy, or I'll have the dogs on ya, and be warned I'm counting every lap!"

With that Malen moved on down the line inspecting the recruits. Raland shook himself quickly then set off at a brisk pace on his first lap of the training ground. Mal'lanar could have sworn he flashed her a toothy smile as he swept past the line of recruits awaiting Malen's appraisal. Her drifting mind was brought swiftly back into line as Malen stepped in-front of her, punching her in the stomach with fist that seemed to come from no where. Only the forewarning Ami'lanar 'gave' her allowed her time to tense her muscles and absorb the blow without a noise or flinch.

" We're making a soldier out of you then girlie girl..thats what I like to see, that's what I like! all right you useless pack of Waste dogs, get changed and on that yard in a breath or you'll be following Smiling Jack out there"

Malen jerked a hand over his shoulder at the now panting Raland. the line broke formation and headed at a sprint towards the barracks and weapons racks.
    Moments later Mal'lanar was stood opposite Jalessa, a tall, whip lean girl with tawny hair and sun bleached skin. Raising training blades in preparation and smiling determinedly at each other, they bowed heads and awaited Sergeant Stonecraws mark as he paced among the pairs. As the old dwarf's shout broke the silence Jalessa launched her self at Mal'lanar without hesitation. Locking blades quickly, Mal'lanar twisted her wrist deftly pushing the swords downwards. Pulling away she side-stepped and struck the woman sharply on her upper thigh, then glanced the sword upward dragging it diagonally up across her chest. A pained look on her face Jalessa stopped, nodded and they resumed their starting positions.

" I hate pairing with you Mal, you leave me bruised till Ten-day"

Jalessa raised her sword, nodded, then waited for Mal'lanar to attack. Grinning with honest enjoyment, Mal'lanar raised her own weapon and sprang forward. Her attack came high and was easily parried by the taller woman, but as her sword glanced away, she quickly regained control, dropped to one knee under Jalessa's overly high stroke and rammed her own sword forward. Avoiding her mid rift deliberately she buried the sword upwards to the side of Jalessa, and as she pulled the blade away rolled around her opponent.

With a bitter curse Jalessa sagged, and Mal'lanar sprang to her feet triumphantly looking back at her ....only to run head first into Raland who was sprinting by at the same moment on his lap of the yard. The two hit with some force sending them rolling to the side of the yard and lying in a heap, Mal'lanar atop the panting man. Shaking her head to gather wits she looked down in to his eyes, realisation sinking in as he spoke.

"My morning has taken such a wondrous turn...I truly think the lady looks on me with grace today...It was a wonderful move though Mal!"

The smile on his face soon faded as Malen's voice rang out over the sound of thudding training blades. Mal'lanar flashed Raland a look that contained more worry than anger and jumped to attention swiftly.

"WELL NOW MY LOVELY BOY!!! GET LONELY ON YOUR WAY AROUND NOW DID WE?? OR WERE YOU BORED WITH THE PRACTICE GIRL!"

The now red faced and more than irate sword master steamed towards them, scattering students in his path. Mal'lanar had barely enough time to see her sister shaking her head sadly before her world was blocked by Malen's face, now no more than an inch from her own.

" you my girl, you my girl will be joining your dance partner here for a 200 lap jaunt round the compound....now wont that be nice smiling jack, a little company on your exercise! And when you've done that I want you back here in this yard ready to make up with the blade the time you lost, while you were out enjoying the scenery"

Faced now inches from Raland, Malen had lowered his voice to a barely audible whisper.

" Go now before I make it 500"

"YES BLADE MASTER!"

Shouting in unison the two stiffened, turned on a heel and sprinted off out of the yard gates and behind the compound walls.

" BACK TO WORK YOU USELESS LAG-WORMS, LESS YOU'LL BE JOINING THE HAPPY COUPLE"

The recruits took up their practice with earnest. Ami'lanar more than most, the searing anger at the back of her mind seemed to come in waves. Increasing steadily as her twin swept pass the open gate, trailed by a blissful looking Raland.

• Opening her eyes quickly, Mal'lanar let her hand snake slowly behind her searching for the sheathed dagger wedged under her mattress. In the back of her mind the metallic tang of danger emanated from Ami'lanar in the cot opposite her own. Drawing her hand back slowly her mind raced as she silently unsheathed the dulled blade and rolled over slowly to face her twin.
    Similar blade in hand Ami'lanar motioned her eyes to the rooms only window, the light of a quarter moon hardly creating a shadow. Slipping from the bed, she crept in the darkness around the rooms edge towards the window. Reaching it before her sister on the opposite side, she pressed flat against the wall.
    Though her heart raced and blood seemed to pound in her ears, she could hear a muffled scraping noise from the balcony edge just outside the half opened window. Shooting a glance at Ami'lanar as the noise came steadily closer, she held her breath.
    Seconds passed as days, until slowly the lace curtains shifted and a hand pushed them smoothly to one side. Moving swiftly Mal'lanar grabbed the hand above the wrist twisting it back and pulling the body that followed close in to her. In moments Ami'lanar had stepped from the wall, clasping one hand over the figures mouth and pressing the dark knife hard against the throat below.

Over the muffled grunts of their would be intruder, Mal'lanar heard the short bark of a laugh from her sister as she let the knife relax but held her hand still over the mouth. More than confused Mal'lanar tightened her lock on the person and heard a sharp hiss of pain as she twisted the arm further up the back. Ami'lanar removed the knife slowly and then the hand saying with a smirk.

"It would seem that you have a visitor Mal'la, so if you mind not i will leave you to your rough-housing"

With that she turned and snaked back to her bed, al the time the feeling of hot amusement tingling down Mal'lanar's spine.

Spinning the figure around, wrist still held in a firm grip, Mal'lanar let out a sharp his of anger mixed with surprise. Pushing the grinning Raland back though the curtains onto the dimly lit balcony she hissed.

" What in the hells are you doing in my room? I should have told Ami'lanar to cut you down where you stood!"

Letting go of his wrist and stepping back she looked at him with totally disbelief. Raland rubbed his wrist as he leant against the balcony rail, the ever present grin making his pain seem trivial.

"A Fine welcome that is. Have you any Idea how high your room is? A man could break his neck climbing up here, if it wasn't for some good reason"

" Same damn fool of a man could have his broken neck cut from his body for no good reason if he thinks he can sneak into my chambers so easily"

The cheek of the man! Who in her name did he think he was? If her mother ever caught word of him being her, she would have Malen stake him out in the waste for the crows to eat.
    Raland rubbed at his neck, a dark smear covering his fingers where Ami'lanar's knife had nicked the skin. Without thinking Mal'lanar tore the edge of her gown quickly and stepped towards him. Jolting his head up roughly, she dabbed at the cut, ignoring his complaints as she did so. Stepping back, pausing only to slap his face sharply she muttered.

" you will live, but what good that will serve is yet to be seen…now tell me what could be of such import that you were moved to climb up here and pester me?"

The grin momentarily wiped from his face by the slap, he rooted in his pocket and brought something out. Looking up, smile fully in place, he answered.

"the tenderness of your touch and the lady like nature of your speech did speed my feet as i scaled you wall Lady Mal'lanar...."

He stopped quickly as she raised her hand to strike him again, blocking her path with his own closed fist. letting his hand open, a silver locket dangled from his fingers on a fine chain. She stopped dead in her tracks, eyes fixing on the necklace.

" I saw it in town, when old Stonecraw and I make the trip to market..I saw it and decided that it would look far better on you than it ever could sitting among the dust and dirt of the stall. So I waited, i saved and i bought it! And now I stand before you battered, bleeding and considerably less in wealth hoping you will accept my simple gift."

The grin had faded from his face, and he now sat before her placid but expectant. Mal'lanar looked up slowly from the locket to his face and before she could reply he had stepped in close and was fastening it around her neck. As the clasp clicked shut she regained her posture and pushed him back firmly, but with not half the venom she expected.

" You..you presume a great deal Raland...far more than you should.."

Unsure what to say she let the words trail off.

"Then I shall accept that as a "thank you" and expect nothing more"

his sardonic response brought the venom back and she spat out.

" get back to the barracks with you..I will not be the reason that you can barely hold your blade through lack of sleep you fool"

"ever the soldier Mal'lanar? You do not fool me at all"

with that he raised a fist to his head, then touched the hand to his heart in salute. Repeating the gesture without thinking she watched silently as he climbed deftly over the balcony rail and made his way down.
    As she watched him speed silently across the yard to his bunk room in the barracks, she toyed with the locket around her neck.
    A sudden touch on her shoulder made her jump and she span round to see Ami'lanar standing behind her grinning. Wondering why she had not 'felt' her approach, she quickly took off the locket and hid it in her clutched fist.

"He is a damnable fool A'mla, what was he thinking? If mother ever hears of this she will...."

" well she won't hear from me, and perhaps it is time to stop thinking of him as the 'fool' Mal'la? It seems he would like to be seen as something else in your eyes"

Taking her sisters hand she pried it open and took out the locket, holding it up with a look of approval n her face.

"worth a coin or two i wager! But how are we to explain this to mother?"

her shoulders sagging visibly, Mal'lanar looked at her sister in desperation then added with false hope.

"Ran'nalier will know what to say! Ra'lie always knows what to say to mother"

With a nod Ami'lanar headed back inside handing the locket back to her sister as she trailed after to her. Both of them realising that sun was almost up and with it a new day in the practice yard.

• The late afternoon sun hung lazily in the sky as Mal'lanar, breathing heavily, hair stuck to her face with sweat picked her self up off the training ground floor. Holding the wooden practice sword wearily she struggled against fatigue and raised it once more…only to have it sail from her grasp as her opponent effortlessly disarmed her.

"We would be singing your praise around a pyre, you scrawny wench...get off with you and clean up for evening meal..go on I said get away now"

Old Malen pushed them all hard, but in her mind she was sure the others had it easy compared with the torment he saved up for her. What did he expect, 5 straight hours with the blade and not a moments rest. Burn him if he thought she couldn't outlast him!
    A cold anger burnt in her but was nothing in comparison to the red heat of shame that had washed over her. When Ralend had seen her fall and almost moved to help her rise, she was sure her face must have been the colour of a sunrise in the Waste. In truth she had sprang back up more to stop his advance than to challenge Malen again, and that fact made her shame feel all the more real.

Ralend, with his friendly glances and shoulder length hair as dark as well water but his eyes blue as ice....she shook her head angrily. What was she thinking, the damn fool nearly made her punishment a lot more than a sharp word. If he had stepped in they would both be running laps till the sun up, and then see how handsome he looked after she had told him exactly what she thought of his help.

A tingling at the base of her neck and a sudden, warm flush of compassion in her mind announced Ami'lanar's approach. Stopping at the water trough, Mal'lanar stripped to her leather jerkin and tipped a full bucket over herself. The cold water made her gasps, but did little to cool her anger as she turned to speak to her twin.

" do not say a word A'mla, not a damned word!"

She growled at her dual born, who stood leaning nonchalantly on her training staff in-front of her. Ami'lanar only shrugged and slowly jerked her head across the yard towards where Ralend stood, currently feeling the rougher end of blade-master Malen's tongue. Mal'lanars head hung down as she followed her sisters eyes and took in the scene, then snapped up swiftly saying.

" the idiot gets what he deserves...what should I care if he gets a lashing"

A feeling of serious radiated in her mind as her sister answered.

" tell yourself that Mal'la, and repeat it as many times to mother, Shal'dine or the others as long as you wish but do not think for one moment you can hide it from me!"

Grinning, Ami'lanar leaned in and tapped her sister lightly on the forehead. Sighing heavily, Mal'lanar took her sisters hand and pulled her into an embrace. They hugged briefly for a moment until she pulled away and whispered.

" He confuses me A'mla, I can not bear to be near him, his arrogance and confident swagger fills me with such..such anger...but why in the name of her song do I find him on my mind so very often?"

" I haven't the answers for you, only you can truly know that I suppose"

The two looked at each other for another moment and then rapidly went about cleaning up as they realised they could no longer hear Malen shouting across the yard. A good sign he was looking for others to vent his temper upon. Grabbing up her tunic, and flashing a harsh glance over at a grinning Ralend, Mal'lanar threw an arm over her twins shoulder and they started off towards the main building.

" Tal'kiera will have a fit if she has but the slightest idea of how you feel Mal'la...of course I will say nothing, but you know full well how she is and she is all the worse for Shal'dine and his tales " of Elven Glory and Grace"

Waving her arms theatrically as she mimicked there family friend and teacher. Mal'lanar nodded wearily at her sisters advice and added...

"She is unbearable! I fail to see what difference our heritage makes and if Ran'nalier is to be believed, then we would have been much better off being born as human as that fool Ralend! Baah, Tal will never change, let us talk of other things..for example what you did with the ale you..."borrowed" from sergeant Stone-craws locker?"

Ami'lanar let out an exaggerated sound of surprise, taking her sisters amused look as an opportunity to punch her lightly in the ribs. The two staggered off towards their room, mock fighting and laughing loudly. With only Mal'lanar turning for but the briefest moment to look over her shoulder at the still grinning figure of Ralend before they disappeared indoors...