Rue Sin

• Syne stepped quietly out of the shadows, smiling down at her, his eyes intense and fixated. He kneeled next to them, looking into the young girl's lifeless eyes. Given another life the girl might have been beautiful, given a chance, she might have been loved. Now that her pain had ended, she would serve a higher purpose.

Syne took Lina's bloodstained hand and ran it slowly over his own face, his eyes never leaving hers. He took the very hand,put it to her forehead, and brought it down the side of her face to her chin.

The first step had been taken without hesitation or remorse. It seemed he was right after all.

Syne took her hand gently again and placed it over the hilt of the dagger, ripping it out of its bloody sheath with one quick pull. The girl twitched a little at the action. He took her hand with the knife and showed her. He showed her how and where to cut in slow deliberate movements.

"Those who kill for the sake of killing are children of chaos." He whispered in the darkness of the alley. "I kill for a very specific reason. I seek to ascend. It is with this flesh and this blood that I walk the my path. It will be with this same blood that you will join me."

He looked at her again, his eyes fierce and filled with the purpose of the kill. He soaked his hand in the girl's blood and began to draw a circle on the floor.

"Take her heart."

• First Step

_Wethrillina stayed still for a while, looking down the alley, knowing he was watching her, enjoying the caress of his pale gaze. She raised a hand to her lips and smiled. That was it. She was at the doorstep of a new life. She had felt so empty until now… She had craved, for so long, without knowing what she was craving for. A demon they had called her... A hint of a smile floating on her lips, she looked down at the dagger. She slipped it in the pocket of her cloak and walked slowly toward the alley, her heart beating hard in her chest. She had made up her mind. She would not flinch. Peltarch had already proved so different from her quiet life in Jiyyd. She had started to feel alive at last. And he had guided her to a new way to see the world, he had shown her... And she wanted to taste every single moment of it...

The girl was there. Shivering in the cold, dim moonlight. She had found a meager shelter behind a few crates. Lina looked down at her and smiled kindly. "Poor child", she whispered. The girl, startled, looked up at the blue lady standing in front of her. Lina crouched down by her side in a rustling of silk, still smiling. The girl huddled up further in the corner formed by the crates.

"This is not a place for a young girl to be", Wethrillina whispered softly. The child smiled weakly, unsure. She looked frightened, her tattered clothes did not protect her from the deep, sharp bite of the cold... Kindly, very slowly, Lina took the poor girl in her arms and brushed the dirty hair gently. "Do not worry... There will be no pain anymore", she whispered. The young girl relaxed a bit. Lina's arms where warm and soft, envelloping her in a sweet fragrance. She had not know human warmth for so long... A tear ran down her dirty cheek, drawing a clear line. She broke in tears suddenly, resting her face on Lina's chest.

Lina looked up toward the opening of the alley and smiled. "Do not worry". She closed her hand around the hilt of the dagger, caressing the girl's hair with her left hand. "There will be no more pain", she looked down at the child who looked up at her, smiling weakly through her tears. Her eyes widened as the blade cut through her flesh, reaching for her heart.

Fascinated, Lina watched her slip slowly away from life.

"There will be no more pain." She looked into the shadows nearby and smiled._