Treatment of New Players

• The Peltarch DM team put a lot of effort into trying to make Peltarch a good place to start a new character and a nice introduction to Narfell. I personally have been fustrated and annoyed at what I've seen and heard recently about the treatment new players have recieved in the city. I don't expect anyone to spend hours helping out new players and showing them arround (and I appreciate those of you who take the time to do this) however it is not acceptable to abandon new players in caves when they don't agree to join you, to threaten new players with PK or to harrass them OOC. I'd also encourage everyone to consider how a new player (who may well be new to RPing) will percieve IC threats and unplesentness.

If you want Peltarch to be a busy and interesting city with a diverse range of characters it falls on all of you who play there to consider how your actions will appear to the new players you meet and whether they're likely to make the player feel that Peltarch and Narfell generally is a place they should come back to.

• As RoundHere says, OOC tells with "Don't mind Lydda, she's a nasty cow 😉 " or "Ignore Mook, she hates elves" works wonders. Even "If you join me you might run into some serious trouble, Darya is NOT a nice person ;)" kind of thing. After all, it's fun when everyone plays along. 😄

OOC can be awfully helpful when it comes to developing potentially problematic scenes/events/situations.

• I was one of the people playing a new character in the cave with Li and the other guy and just found this thread… at 2 in the morning. anyways i'd just like to say that the guy (sorry forgot his name) did apologize even though i don't expect him too. We went into the cave and got to the end. Li and him were RPing evil chars and we were all having fun. They tried to get us to join their religion but come on their evil characters thats what they do. Its rather hard to play and evil char on narf, expessially when a pali senses your evil and decides to smite you... But Li and her evil friend we're cool about it, they walked us out and took us back to Peltarch, given when we new chars choose not to join their religion the RPing was pretty much over, but at no time did i feel they were going to leave us there.. in the cave.
    Noobs getting taken advantage of is a thing thats hard to stop, mainly because no-one ever playing a character that gullably and follows people. everyone has a character that does their own thing on their own time which leaves no dump PCs to take advange off and use them as minions in one's evil army. That can never happen, because people are always going to ooc think no, my char isn't going to listen to the smooth talking con man, even tho he has 10 int and 10 wis. But i have to give credit because it is do to anyone who RPs a half orc well, we've all seen them, they act stupid all the time, and actually follow dumb orders most of the time.
    --- And that about it.

• @dcd6b1d6d5=RoundHere:

Thought I'd add in something that I do personally from time to time. For anyone who's met Corana yet in Peltarch, I think it's pretty clear that she's an evil, and frequently nasty, character

No problem at all with blatantly evil, or subtley evil characters, PK fest is another issue - which i am glad to say doesn't have anything to do with her.

Blatant evil or subtle evil is a very nice addition to the game, as its a great RP hook for good characters, priests and paladins to act accordingly.

• A good post by vino and gildor there, - hardcore RP is fine, but all thoe PK rules are well monitored by DM's. However bulling RP if only seen done to "less Challenge-rating" than your character and not done to "unknown-but-high-CR" characters will be dealt with accodingly.

An example of what i am talking about…

Its been repeated a hundred times, - but bullying the barbarian albeit naked halforc with strength in their arm obvious that they could snap you in half as they are "only white to you" and not treating a character roleplayed in a similar way with similar equipment "who are yellow or orange to you"

i'm not referring to a particular example but i'm sure you all understand what i am talking about

Personally to maintain drama in encounters with unknown characters its better i find for enjoyment to send them a few tells ooc to ask them what weapons are slung about them, shield etc than it is to look on the Bio.

Good advice is, for doing actions similar to this provding they dont contravene the rules above, find a character played by an experienced player, the consequences for your character and theirs will be far more satisfying. I have seen it all the time done by experienced players, it makes people -far- less likely to be OOC upset.

• I met Plurt's character "Nalum" when I first logged in – The character/player was super nice and showed me around, helped me get equipment, and explained to me the basics.

Being friendly = A-okay!

• Well put Vino.

I think it occurs often that players get carried away with treating other PCs in an IC fashion. Yes, it is important not to have a manic character who can't maintain their personality from one second to the next due to ooc factors. Bear in mind, though, that the end goal of staying IC is to make the world enjoyable to everyone, not to be exclusive or garner respect.

There are no hard and fast rules, just be careful.

• I just want to say that one of the new players that was involved was one of my rl friends who is -relatively- new to narfell. I do know though that he thought the being cornered in a cave thing was pretty cool and all, he enjoys the roleplay. (he was telling me about it today)

So It really is hard to tell how people will take it.

• This post wasn't directed specifically at Ransone and Li (although that was the incident that provoked it) but at player attitudes more generally. Have a look at Gildor's post and think about it. We don't expect everyone to be friendliness and light but if a players first expierances of a server are positive they're much more likely to stick arround for more. Ask arround sometime, you might be supprised at how many people will tell you the only reason they stayed was because they met someone friendly in the first couple of times they loged in.

• Thought I'd add in something that I do personally from time to time. For anyone who's met Corana yet in Peltarch, I think it's pretty clear that she's an evil, and frequently nasty, character. If a new character whose player login I don't recognize starts to interact with her, I usually send a friendly and quick OOC tell that she's quite nasty, so be ready for it (followed by a smiley or something). In my opinion, that lets me still play her IC while also making it clear that -she- is the evil one, not me. After the interaction, I'm always glad to help out via tells or directing to a PG/PL, etc. It's simple, quick, and might be useful in avoiding unfortunate misinterpretations.

Just a thought…. 🙂

• Ya I like Gildor's post. Perhaps a way we can get a simliar warning on the char creation or something? 😉 I remember my first char got nothing but glares, ignores, and smacked around for the first two days though he was as nice as could be. Was even killed by a wisp that got lose in Jiyyd and made it right in front of the inn. 😃 He did later run accross two good souls that helped him get on their feet just had to stick with it..(all was ic all was good glares, help,the whole bit)

I guess what worries me is these days it seems like a good number of newbs I run into expect everyone to be crusading, clean booted, fully understanding indiviudals that do nothing then help every team member and poor beggar and NEVER ever have an evil though. Anyone in their party must instantly be a friend, etc. there are no thieves in the world, etc. I guess this worries me because some seem to associate any semi bad action as being an ooc insult somehow. 😞 Normally if you can get to these people oocly all is well (normally done because its more than just rp niave, but also technically niave because they don't seem to understand how to do everything, especially with things that are changed from NWN vanilla, like healing). Now I have been guilty of politely asking someone oocly through the dreaded difficulty view approach or simply how they're acting if they are new to the server. Is it an instant break of the IC I loved so much when I first joined? Yes, but I think that would be a better way to approach then making every char they run into a nice friendly bunny, and then they getting ticked when someone IC thats less than pleasant runs into them.

• @8777754f38=rasone77:

Role play is a very fun and enjoyable game and when you are fully engrossed in playing your character you forget that there are real people playing on the other screen.

A player Lead announcement:

(These things has nothing to do with any specific case and I am not aiming at anybody, or speaking about anybody specificly - Just a general reminder)

When you run in to a new player, there is nobody out there who says you have to stop acting In Character, but as a Player Lead, I would like to ask that everybody when meeting a clearly new player (and perhaps a confused one as being on a new server is rather confusing) you ask yourself

• is the first experience you want this player to have on the server, an ecounter with your "bully" character and being pushed up against a wall being told to drop all his gold or loose his life -

If you feel there is no real way for you to help a new player out and still stay in character, nobody will think you not hardcore for logging off and joining with a more friendly character, or perhaps a low level to show them around.

If you find a new character to be poorly roleplayed, borderline griefer, blatantly metagamer (does not know the names ontop of the head is to be ignored), or 90% out of character, let me remind you that some of the best roleplayers this server has ever seen can tell stories of their first day and how they did one of the various newbie mistakes. Everybody has to start at some point.

I would also like to remind lowbies out there that just because high levels ignore your character, is harsh in tone, refuses to help, and does not let you in on conversations, it might not just be "leet highlevel snob, ignoring the n00b" and perhaps it is in character and the player expect you to make the effort to roleplay with them and make yourself known as more then just "a random stranger".

All in all, the top quote is to be remembered, we are all real life people here to have fun.

😉

• Hi, I was the other character involved with Rasone in this and I just wanted to add that we were simply roleplaying. We were not trying to have them killed.
    We, of course, would not have left them alone in there to die, I would heal them when needed, and we killed any of the kobolds that would have hurt them.
    I thought it was fun. They were getting experience, gold, and I thought the two were enjoying themselves through roleplaying (which they were both very funny). But apparently one of the two complained.
    I am sorry to whoever it was that mistook it as griefing. It makes me feel bad that you thought I personally was trying to be mean when it is just the way I play my character. Sorry again. 😢

@a1fe4b345b:

taking a level 1 to a kobold cave is a violation of number 4 above. You can reason out that having a bunch of high levels to kill the big ones makes it alright, but one sneak in the wrong place, one mage with with a misguided missle, one uber creature left on the transition

It was the easy kobold cave with runts and stingers 😉

• From a PK Thread:

@c9139a4b53=Gildor:

Again to clear up some more confusion.

1. Laying down traps and leaving them.
    2. Deliberately pulling monsters to the transition line.
    3. Convince an unaware character to cross in an area when you know there are monsters on the transition line.
    4. Lyeing and telling a new players to go to a certain area, where you know the challenge is too great.
    5. Buffing random monsters.
    6. Healing monsters in combat.
    7. Casting spells such as Hold, and Charm person without the players consent and/or while in a dangerous area. (Edit by Ribs…casting "harmful" spells ANYWHERE is pk. If someone started casting hold person on you, even in a town, who's to say they aren't going to slit your throat after? I don't want to be grandmotherly and say you can't cast spells at all when no DMs are there to take PK, but if you plan to cast spells on others for RP purposes, at least tell the other player first, and if they would beat on you for casting daze on them, get PK permission before you start, unless they give you permission. A pain in the butt, but it saves the PGs and DMs from the stomach aches that come later from a PK caused by someone flinging spells.)
    8. Casting area effects such as sleep, darkness and confusion, with the deliberate attempt to have it effect your party-members as well as monsters.

This is one of my pet peeves so I thought I'd chime in. Even if you are totally RPing well, and being IC with all actions, taking a level 1 to a kobold cave is a violation of number 4 above. You can reason out that having a bunch of high levels to kill the big ones makes it alright, but one sneak in the wrong place, one mage with with a misguided missle, one uber creature left on the transition, or one faulty internet connection, and the level 1 is dead.

I don't want to come down too hard and really my opinion doesn't mean anything. It's just hard to play an evil character because of PK rules. Still, they are there for everyone's enjoyment. I used to play evil but gave up on it because it takes away from my own enjoyment of the game. I just couldn't figure out a way to make it fun for me.

• Just one thing to say I think we all may be a little guilty of playing our characters out a little too far, to the point of making other players feel upset about it. It's happened to me and it will probably happen again. I know sometimes we don't think about it as we play cause we get in the zone so to speak. Role play is a very fun and enjoyable game and when you are fully engrossed in playing your character you forget that there are real people playing on the other screen. I have even said before to other players some of the very things Vino said in his post. (you know who you are and you know what I said) thats why I feel so bad right now because now I need to apologize to the whole comunity for not heeding my own advice.

Just so everyone knows I am the one to blame for this post. No one was actually abandoned in the cave to die but RP was played out. Me and another character (who shall remain nameless) did try to get another charter to join our faith. In a cave and IC threatened to leave them there. When they didn't go along. we healed them and then followed them back to saftey and killed all the hard kobolds so they wouldn't die. It was not our intention to have anyone hurt in RL. I did a poor job of explaining to them afterward that we tried to help them OOC in a tell and I think it was mistaken for harrasment.

In conclusion I strongley feel that it is vitally important that when we meet a level 1 character that we send them a tell to find out how much Roleplay expierience they have and then explain to them what roleplay is if they have had little, That way there is no hard feelings. This is even more important for those of us who are playing as evil characters because our RP can be veiwed as griefing if someone doesn't fully understand the roleplay expeirience.

Once again I am very sorry for my actions especially to those who were involved in the situation and got their feelings hurt by me.