DM Team Applications

• DM application -

This thread will serve as a reference to the DM applications. After 1 week, we will close this thread and start an “Ask Me Anything” thread in Discord. There, voters can ask the DM candidates questions on various topics.

Only DM Applications will be held in this thread. Posts other than DM applications will be removed by moderators. Remember, for questions to specific candidates, use the AMAs in Discord starting Tuesday, February 6 around noon PST.

Thank you for your interest in applying to be a Narfell DM. Before you take the time to fill out the application, we would like you to be aware of the following expectations:

Narfell DMs will...

• Follow the Staff Code of Conduct

• Actively DM

• Strive to include as many members of the community as possible - generally avoid cliques/friends

• Publicly announce events (via discord and/or forums)

• Keep your DM diary in the forums up to date

• Make forum posts to the community to keep everyone in the loop (public information should be shared )

• Communicate frequently with the other DMs and Devs so that everyone is on the same page

• May be asked to perform non-story telling duties such as importing enchanted items, doing a rebuild, etc. (although AT's may take some of this on)

• Need to be open-minded and flexible because these expectations may change

DMs are, first and foremost, story tellers and that will be their focus. They will work closely with the devs to breathe life into the server, help characters develop, keep players on their toes, and help make playing a more than 20-year-old game fun. DMs are all-powerful IG and with that power comes great responsibility. We want active, mature, and open-minded people who can handle the responsibility and pressure of being a DM.

If you feel that you can meet these expectations, please continue and fill out the application by copying/pasting these questions and inputting your answers. A simple "No comment" will suffice for topics you care not to answer. Thank you for your support and good luck!

1. Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?

2. How long have you been a community member on Narfell?

3. What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)?

4. What level of experience do you have with the DM client?

5. Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events.

6. What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?

7. How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations?

8. How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for?

9. What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for?

Note: You may wish to add your main character(s) name(s) in the thread as well in case people don't know your forum or discord name.

• Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?
    I'm eager to pursue the persistent world aspects of the server, and to embrace the variety of events people enjoy, pretty much with every event very accessible to players. Noting the ease of introducing persistent elements into the server. I would be eager to engage a not-too-demanding pipeline of regular events, with enough time between them to ensure actions of players and consequences have been factored into the next event. At the end of a long series of events, expect to see locations subtly (or dramatically) change, new arrivals in old areas and the balance of power shift within places you know as PC's and other places you don't know (yet).

How long have you been a community member on Narfell?
    I started playing in 2004 Absent for a while, and i've been back a few years now.
    If the playerbase wish for this kind of DMing, then i'll spend a few weeks testing out things, and getting used to the scale of the server now, and conferring with team members and players alike on the kind of sessions they like in PnP, and online here and in other games, and learning more about aspects of their characters that aren't widely known.

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)?
    Online only in Narfell (With Linah, Vino, Yith, Pinksharky, Basmans, Wykith etc back in those days. PnP, i've DMed D&D but also Warhammer Fantasy, and Cyberpunk.
    In Narfell i helped run the Eastlander War, the Shar and Auril cult threat, as well as the recurring Tree of Azuth happenings. I also ran a no. of faith based plots, and personal plots too.
    Other than that i'm a lore junkie in Forgotten Realms, and i'm still trying to determine a way of extracting all the juicy lore from Baldurs Gate 3 books 🙂 My approach is to happen across a snippet of interesting lore, and then spin off ideas to see what sticks into the current status of Narfell, usually after looking back at any previous references in the forum history.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client?
    Not for a few years, and i'm sure there are a lot more tools now than ever. I'll be reviewing clowbaby's video again i'm sure in the next couple of weeks.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events.
    Players lead the actions arising from news around the world and it's surrounding regions and it's up to them how they respond to it. Players are rewarded for consistency of character response, and i'm always happy to have conversations about their characters motivations after events privately. I'm also happy to receive actions taken outside of "the pertinent dramatic or action event or session".
    Also, that NPC factions directly react to player actions if noticed, and that friendly NPC groups may react with or against the wishes of players. Sometimes allies have to be interacted with as well as enemy.
    Key in my interests in the past is Intrigue, the borders and powerful NPC or monstrous groups working within our setting, and tactical challenges involving terrain, environmental factors and faith based plots.
    The actions of those groups also have an effect on the world. Players also get known to different groups, and NPC's and will become known to them for the benefit of the players objectives or the NPC groups objectives.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?
    It's not necessary, but players are welcome to use it, and it will be obvious when there are times when players can communicate their characters "actions", to news outside of a "main event". There will be a number of ways of contacting myself with actions taken, the format and "warmup" to my events will ensure any and all PC's can have a reaction subtle or overt to them, be that in a planned game session, which will be organised in advance for key events, or written up in the forums by myself in the appropriate plot-thread.
    I will prioritise discord, and I have an email address also set-up for correspondence.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations?
    I plan on building up with small encounters the run up to scheduled events for players who are logged in when i play. (This will mainly be between 2000 GMT to 2200 GMT on Fridays or Saturday. Events will not be long affairs, and will form a chapter-end to some ongoing narrative published online and explored in some small way in-game during incidental sessions.
    REWARDS: Key will be explicit IC appropriate reactions, NPC faction attention and in-game rewards as well as XP for those players who disseminate overtly, secretly or initiate actions with myself in respect of incidental events and respond after key scheduled events.
    REWARDS: I also reward, player creativity, books written, backstories written, diaries and other posts on the forum which advance the plot. Key though is the manner in which players use the forums, and welcome players advising where and when they are posting in response to plot.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for?
    I would usually expect to do 2 main events per month, with "warm-up" happenings / small incidental encounters between these times. Typically events will wait until player actions have been factored before the next event occurs. All sessions will be announced days in advance, and reminded usually through in-game and forum activity to remind players that things are happening, and they better get involved or the world will move on without them.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for?
    Between 2000 GMT to 2200 GMT on Fridays or Saturdays for "Main Events". Smaller news or warmup happenings will occur at similar hours as a response to players being logged in and active, and especially in the area related to the ongoing plot. This is designed to maintain consistency, and planning for players. If this slot is outside your usual playtime there will be ways of interacting with the incidental warm-ups so long as your character is active at keeping up with the plot via other characters.

Discord: Darkpowder.
    Main Characters:
    Ravos Calchais - Kings Council delegate for House Daedalus
    Vasold Ulrich - Order of the Golden Lion
    Augustus Farthingdale - Wizard
    Vertus Dahl - Faithful of Kossuth

• @speedy_z_ said in DM Team Applications:

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?

A DM stepped down and I want to do what I can to help. In my timezone, ther eis not much coverage and, as such, thats a timehole that will get filled. I also want to stop making comments on the sideline and join the match to actually do something constructive and helpful.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell?

Since... 2003? With hiatuses lasting years now and then but.. somehow, Narfell has always managed to draw me back in. Funny that. 😃

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)?

Was a DM on Narfell in the mid 2000s. My DM name was DM Snugglycat/DM Deathcat. I held two large events that I think are known still and the reprecautions are still present on the server. The eastlander war and the Peltarch civil war

What level of experience do you have with the DM client?

Will certainly ned to refresh myself with the nwn:ee dm client.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events.

My style, when not planning more directed, scripted, events, is to see what a player is doing and try to deciphere that and engage and interact in a way that increases the players actions. For example. A player that is out fighting alone. I might make an encounter with a non combat npc plea for help to find something and then act on that. Could be anything from asking the player to help kill something that robbed the npc or to find a lost puppy- It does not disrupt the players original actions but hopefully brings something enjoyeble. And the player has the freedom to declline in anyway.

Without writing a novell, I usually act on what the player is doing/saying/have as description/have posted on the forums, and go from there. Roleplaying is a give and take improvising theater exercise and I do not want to force something so I present a number of hooks and then its up to the player to bite.. or not.. thats an interaction too.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?

Its fine. My stance is fine.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations?

By not being exclusive? The question for me is strange due to the reason that being inclusive is a very strong personal trait. I may not agree, but I can put my personal feelings aside to do my task and mission, if that makes sense.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for?

IM sure the devs can tally my playing hours. About that-

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for?

Mostly EU, GMT+1. Exact sission timings will vary depending on real life events.

Current major characters: Xiulan Ming, Amanda af Hartenfeldt

• Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? I can help create a solution rather than just point to a problem. That being a lack of DM's willing to DM.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? I started playing around 2010-2011.

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I DMed on Narfell for a few years. I made alot of great memories DMing for folks and never had a complaint leveled against me.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? I had alot of experience but it's been awhile. I'll have to refamiliarize myself with it and it's additions since I last DMed.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. I don't have plots mapped out. I encourage players to shape the course of the plot through their actions and decisions. I like to have one plot going on and in between plot events I like to pop in and spice things up for folks I see out on adventures or create a one-shot event inspired by their race/class/background. I loved hosting Fight Night and occasionally ran traveling fairs and festivals.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? I'd love to see forum RP between players return. It's a fantastic medium to keep everyone involved and in the loop when they can't be IG for the event. Alot of progress and IC relations can be made there as well as IG. I'll keep up with any plot related forum posts and take them into consideration.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? Just being conscious of who has received DM attention and who hasn't. If I see someone online that I haven't interacted with much or isn't involved in the plots, I'd purposefully hook them into a one-shot event or at least spice up their adventure. I think everyone should always feel they've had some attention recently.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? 3-4 hours per week. More if I'm able.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? It depends on work. I'm EST and I can commit to most weekends. When days open up during the week I'll hop on for something random.

I played Beorn Battlemail and most recently played Shiney Battlemail and Korak Grudgekeeper. Thanks for your consideration.

• Andelas

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?  To have fun and facilitate player character stories.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? Since 2002

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? More than 10 years as an active DM on Narfell, several decades in PNP.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? A lot of experience with the DM client but out of date, I will need a refresher.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. My style varies, I prefer logical plots with a lot of combat and real consequences depending on what the players do or do not do. However, variety is the spice of life so I also like political role play, riddles and dream escapades.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? Open 

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? By advertising ahead of time when a story event is scheduled, where it will be on the server and for what level of PC. Also by being active across a wide range of timezones.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? More than 12 hours per week, at least three sessions per week. (I love being retired)

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? I live in Melbourne, Australia and it is easier to say that I will not be active from midnight until 6 am my time.

• DM

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? The server can use several DMs who care about the players.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? I started playing NWN a month after the game came out here on Narfell and always had a good feel for the player base. My PC's help build Guilds in the server the (Legion/Troff army) (Crafters/Union with Kuk and Covah).

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I was the DM for Norwick for many years. I brought weekly events to the server that had a fallowing of players for many years. (Fightnight)

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? I was able to find what I needed and make due with what was there.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. I expect players to have fun.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? They are going to anyway. Most of my events would start and end in the same session so let them talk.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? I always spread the DM Love over all the players.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? Depends on how my back feels.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? I am disabled and I log into the game all different times. 7 days a week.

• @speedy_z_ said in DM Team Applications:

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? - I would like the oppertunity to "practice what I preach", to make the attempt to deliver what I say I expect from a DM. It's not right for me to criticise DM's without being keen to take that same criticisim myself.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? -7 to 8 years, a couple of breaks during that time. Mostly as a player and a short stint as a PG.

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I have played RPGs starting with "chainmail" when I was 11, I have played and DM'd table top games since then, everything from Basic Dnd, through 2nd edition, Star Frontiers, to Warhammer 40k. I stated desgining RPGs when I was 20, generaly LARP systems. I have been a LARP refere, story teller, organizer as well as an owner of my own engaging 200+ players at times for up to 7 days of real time action.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? -Very little, im encouraged with the possability of a "Apprenticship" program if that is going to be a thing.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. - I genraly run a serious campaign, of course playerside sillyness happens and isn't unwelcome. I like players who are inovative and imaginative, im comfortable generaly speaking with moving in the directions players might choose even if that takes me into the realm of "this was unexpected". I want players who are proactive, who help shape the way things play out, I dont want to run a choose your own adventure with only the two options that I choose. I like cause and effect both good and bad caused by player actions. I like aligenments and feel its a very integral part of "cause and effect" in game play and resolution.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?- I would encourage it untill it became excessive, I like the idea of "down time action" in continuing campaigns, I find that is where player inovation can make a change in a story as its happening between play sessions.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? - Tough to say beyond I would want to be open to all players when I am running something, If im in the mood to run a story line, I expect I would have forum posts about it and a time set for when the event would be happening. However, I have a erratic sleep habit, so if I loged in at 3 AM, it may just be trying to do character specific story telling or short encounters to try to give anyone who is on some attention. To me thats a big partof what being a DM is, trying to tell the players stories from their backgrounds, not just what I have planned.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? -Tough to say, a storyline event, likely once a week or bi-weekly. One shot adventures, on a whim if I log in with the mood to DM and players are on. Player background RP/Development, suprise, im on and in the mood, im probably going to do something for the people active on the server at the time.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? - Tough to say, I have a sleep disorder so outside planned event times, that could happen any time around the clock as long as I wouldent be stepping on another DMs toes.