DM Team Applications

• DM application - Due Tuesday, February 6 at 12 p.m. PST

This thread will serve as a reference to the DM applications. After 1 week, we will close this thread and start an “Ask Me Anything” thread in Discord. There, voters can ask the DM candidates questions on various topics.

Only DM Applications will be held in this thread. Posts other than DM applications will be removed by moderators. Remember, for questions to specific candidates, use the AMAs in Discord starting Tuesday, February 6 around noon PST.

Thank you for your interest in applying to be a Narfell DM. Before you take the time to fill out the application, we would like you to be aware of the following expectations:

Narfell DMs will...

• Follow the Staff Code of Conduct

• Actively DM

• Strive to include as many members of the community as possible - generally avoid cliques/friends

• Publicly announce events (via discord and/or forums)

• Keep your DM diary in the forums up to date

• Make forum posts to the community to keep everyone in the loop (public information should be shared )

• Communicate frequently with the other DMs and Devs so that everyone is on the same page

• May be asked to perform non-story telling duties such as importing enchanted items, doing a rebuild, etc. (although AT's may take some of this on)

• Need to be open-minded and flexible because these expectations may change

DMs are, first and foremost, story tellers and that will be their focus. They will work closely with the devs to breathe life into the server, help characters develop, keep players on their toes, and help make playing a more than 20-year-old game fun. DMs are all-powerful IG and with that power comes great responsibility. We want active, mature, and open-minded people who can handle the responsibility and pressure of being a DM.

If you feel that you can meet these expectations, please continue and fill out the application by copying/pasting these questions and inputting your answers. A simple "No comment" will suffice for topics you care not to answer. Thank you for your support and good luck!

1. Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?

2. How long have you been a community member on Narfell?

3. What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)?

4. What level of experience do you have with the DM client?

5. Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events.

6. What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?

7. How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations?

8. How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for?

9. What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for?

Note: You may wish to add your main character(s) name(s) in the thread as well in case people don't know your forum or discord name.

• Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? I can help create a solution rather than just point to a problem. That being a lack of DM's willing to DM.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? I started playing around 2010-2011.

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I DMed on Narfell for a few years. I made alot of great memories DMing for folks and never had a complaint leveled against me.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? I had alot of experience but it's been awhile. I'll have to refamiliarize myself with it and it's additions since I last DMed.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. I don't have plots mapped out. I encourage players to shape the course of the plot through their actions and decisions. I like to have one plot going on and in between plot events I like to pop in and spice things up for folks I see out on adventures or create a one-shot event inspired by their race/class/background. I loved hosting Fight Night and occasionally ran traveling fairs and festivals.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? I'd love to see forum RP between players return. It's a fantastic medium to keep everyone involved and in the loop when they can't be IG for the event. Alot of progress and IC relations can be made there as well as IG. I'll keep up with any plot related forum posts and take them into consideration.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? Just being conscious of who has received DM attention and who hasn't. If I see someone online that I haven't interacted with much or isn't involved in the plots, I'd purposefully hook them into a one-shot event or at least spice up their adventure. I think everyone should always feel they've had some attention recently.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? 3-4 hours per week. More if I'm able.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? It depends on work. I'm EST and I can commit to most weekends. When days open up during the week I'll hop on for something random.

I played Beorn Battlemail and most recently played Shiney Battlemail and Korak Grudgekeeper. Thanks for your consideration.

• Andelas

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM?  To have fun and facilitate player character stories.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? Since 2002

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? More than 10 years as an active DM on Narfell, several decades in PNP.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? A lot of experience with the DM client but out of date, I will need a refresher.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. My style varies, I prefer logical plots with a lot of combat and real consequences depending on what the players do or do not do. However, variety is the spice of life so I also like political role play, riddles and dream escapades.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? Open 

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? By advertising ahead of time when a story event is scheduled, where it will be on the server and for what level of PC. Also by being active across a wide range of timezones.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? More than 12 hours per week, at least three sessions per week. (I love being retired)

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? I live in Melbourne, Australia and it is easier to say that I will not be active from midnight until 6 am my time.

• DM

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? The server can use several DMs who care about the players.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? I started playing NWN a month after the game came out here on Narfell and always had a good feel for the player base. My PC's help build Guilds in the server the (Legion/Troff army) (Crafters/Union with Kuk and Covah).

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I was the DM for Norwick for many years. I brought weekly events to the server that had a fallowing of players for many years. (Fightnight)

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? I was able to find what I needed and make due with what was there.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. I expect players to have fun.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots? They are going to anyway. Most of my events would start and end in the same session so let them talk.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? I always spread the DM Love over all the players.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? Depends on how my back feels.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? I am disabled and I log into the game all different times. 7 days a week.

• @speedy_z_ said in DM Team Applications:

Why do you want to be a Narfell DM? - I would like the oppertunity to "practice what I preach", to make the attempt to deliver what I say I expect from a DM. It's not right for me to criticise DM's without being keen to take that same criticisim myself.

How long have you been a community member on Narfell? -7 to 8 years, a couple of breaks during that time. Mostly as a player and a short stint as a PG.

What relevant experience do you have DMing (either Narfell, other PW’s, or PnP)? I have played RPGs starting with "chainmail" when I was 11, I have played and DM'd table top games since then, everything from Basic Dnd, through 2nd edition, Star Frontiers, to Warhammer 40k. I stated desgining RPGs when I was 20, generaly LARP systems. I have been a LARP refere, story teller, organizer as well as an owner of my own engaging 200+ players at times for up to 7 days of real time action.

What level of experience do you have with the DM client? -Very little, im encouraged with the possability of a "Apprenticship" program if that is going to be a thing.

Describe, in detail, your DMing style and what you expect from players in your plots/events. - I genraly run a serious campaign, of course playerside sillyness happens and isn't unwelcome. I like players who are inovative and imaginative, im comfortable generaly speaking with moving in the directions players might choose even if that takes me into the realm of "this was unexpected". I want players who are proactive, who help shape the way things play out, I dont want to run a choose your own adventure with only the two options that I choose. I like cause and effect both good and bad caused by player actions. I like aligenments and feel its a very integral part of "cause and effect" in game play and resolution.

What is your stance on players using forum/discord communication with you to advance plots?- I would encourage it untill it became excessive, I like the idea of "down time action" in continuing campaigns, I find that is where player inovation can make a change in a story as its happening between play sessions.

How do you plan on being inclusive and involving all players/groups/organizations? - Tough to say beyond I would want to be open to all players when I am running something, If im in the mood to run a story line, I expect I would have forum posts about it and a time set for when the event would be happening. However, I have a erratic sleep habit, so if I loged in at 3 AM, it may just be trying to do character specific story telling or short encounters to try to give anyone who is on some attention. To me thats a big partof what being a DM is, trying to tell the players stories from their backgrounds, not just what I have planned.

How many sessions and/or hours per week/month do you plan to DM for? -Tough to say, a storyline event, likely once a week or bi-weekly. One shot adventures, on a whim if I log in with the mood to DM and players are on. Player background RP/Development, suprise, im on and in the mood, im probably going to do something for the people active on the server at the time.

What are the days/times (time zone) that you anticipate DMing for? - Tough to say, I have a sleep disorder so outside planned event times, that could happen any time around the clock as long as I wouldent be stepping on another DMs toes.