Hinhold Code of Laws
The following is Hinhold's provisional code of laws, administered by the Halfling Defense League.
High Crimes - Punishable by Incarceration or, in rare cases, capital punishment. Recommended sentences are guidelines only and the Hinhold Bailiff is not bound by those recommendations. Additionally, the Bailiff may use Banishment in lieu of or additional to the sentences for any high crime at their discretion.
- 1.0 Treason - Aiding or conspiring with the enemies of Hinhold is illegal. Recommended sentence is execution by hanging.
- 1.1 Premeditated Murder - Planning and executing a murder within the territory of Hinhold Hinhold is illegal. Recommended sentence 25 years to life, or execution by hanging per Bailiff's discretion.
- 1.2 Non-Premeditated Murder - Unplanned but intended killing of any being within Hinhold territory, except in self defense, is illegal. Recommended sentence 25 years to life, or execution by hanging per Bailiff's discretion.
- 1.3 Involuntary Murder - Unintentional killing of a person through inflicting harm upon them within Hinhold territory, except in self defense, is illegal. Recommended sentence 10-15 years.
- 1.4 Negligent Murder - Acting without regard to another while in Hinhold territory and, in so doing, causing their death, is illegal. Recommended sentence 10-15 years.
- 1.5 Attempted Murder - Trying but failing to kill any individual while in Hinhold territory is illegal. Recommended sentence 5-10 years.
- 1.6 Assault - Intentional physical harm inflicted upon another's person while in Hinhold territory is illegal. Recommended sentence 180 days-3 years.
- 1.7 Necrofelony - Use of magic or any other means to reanimate a corpse, besides resurrection, is illegal within Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence 5-15 years.
- 1.8 Kidnapping - Detention of any individual by anyone other than Hinhold guards, absent strong evidence of a crime having been committed, is illegal within Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence - 5-10 years.
- 1.9 Torture - Intentional Harm - whether psychological or physical - of an individual in order to coerce them into a course of action is forbidden within Hinhold territory. This law applies equally to all Hinhold officials as well. Recommended sentence 15-25 years.
- 1.10 Theft or Destruction of property - Taking or destroying an individual's or organization's property without their permission is illegal within Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence 90 days-5 years and restitution to the offended party.
- 1.11 Obstruction of Justice - Knowingly impeding investigations by Hinhold officials by way of concealing or destroying relevant evidence and information is illegal. Recommended sentence up to 6 years.
- 1.12 Harboring a Criminal - Concealing the location of the suspect of a crime from Hinhold officials is illegal. Recommended sentence up to 6 years.
- 1.13 Violation of Banishment - Entering Hinhold territory while subject to banishment is illegal. Recommended sentence up to 1 year, with 1 additional year added for each repeat offense.
- 1.14 Slavery - All slavery and slave trading is outlawed within Hinhold territory. Any individuals held in bondage from other jurisdictions are to be considered freed from said bondage upon entering any territory claimed by Hinhold. This extends to ships docked in Hinhold's harbor. Recommended sentence for slaveowners is 10 years to Life. No compensation for loss of slaves is to be issued.
- 1.15 Terroristic Threats - Threatening harm to another is illegal in all Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence up to 6 months in prison for first offense. Subsequent offenses to be treated as assault per statute 1.6.
- 1.16 Conspiracy - Any individual who acts in concert with others to aid them in committing any of the above crimes shall face the same penalty as if the individual had committed the crime themselves.
Low Crimes - Punishable by fines and minor jail time.
- 2.0 Disturbing the Peace - Acting in a manner which causes undue, unwelcome disruption to individuals within Hinhold territory is illegal. Recommended sentence is fines and/or minor amounts of jail time not to exceed 5 days.
- 2.1 Impersonating a Hinhold Official - Knowingly attempting to convince others that one is vested with the authority of an official representative of Hinhold, whether as a law enforcement officer, member of the militia, or any other government official or appointee is illegal within Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence fines and/or jail time up to 90 days.
- 2.2 Weapons - Unless in immediate danger, weapons may not be wielded within the walls of Hinhold's castle town. This does not apply to guards or militia personnel. Recommended sentence - fine not exceeding 500 gold.
- 2.3 Animal Cruelty - Causing unnecessary pain to any livestock, pets, or familiars in Hinhold territory through wanton malice, general disregard, or neglectful treatment is illegal. Recommended sentence up to 6 months.
- 2.4 Trespassing - Entering property where one is not permitted is illegal within Hinhold territory. Recommended sentence 1-10 days or fine.
- 2.5 Spellcasting - Casting of any destructive spells while in Hinhold territory is illegal except under emergency situations when needed for self defense. Recommended sentence fine and/or jail time up to 90 days.
- 2.6 Familiar Law - Any individual in possession of magical familiar, exotic pet, or other animal must ensure that the creature does not cause undue discomfort or harm to others. Recommended sentence is a fine not exceeding 750 gold. If any individuals are harmed by said creature, then escalation to an appropriate high crime may take place as well.