The Intrigue of Peltarch

• Narfell DM

alt text

The King is Dead. New Councillors are elected. City and military officials retired or deceased from war. A magistrate seat, council advisors, clerks to Crown appointees, and others. Each an avenue into City Hall.

Disorder. Conflict. Grudges. They are the stuff of quiet conversations, and of long-term calculations. They are not the grand violence of war and invasion, but rather the slow-burning simmer of power and collusion. To the cold-hearted, they are all synonyms for opportunity to be seized. To the stoic and kind, they are warning signs to be heeded.

Schemers and whisperers gather in secret plots and maneuver for influence and power. Pledge your allegiance to noble families, ideological factions, and the elite of the city to carve your own position. Accumulate debts and favors alike as you weave your way through the upper echelons of Peltarchian society. Beware your colleagues, for they may have made bargains of their own.

The air of intrigue in Peltarch has thickened, as its denizens on high ponder what games to play. Whether they like it or not, you are now invited, whoever you are.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

Lo and behold, the Bank has released the public leasing contracts concerning Terra Firma. Lease prices remain a private matter, but the following is now registered information on the Bank's public ledgers:

1. The litany of plots peppering the district are to go to certain noble families, with the larger of these plots going to houses Hemway and Whitedune respectively. One of these is to go to House Jennings.

2. The two plots contiguous to the Order of the Divine Shield are to go to the Temple of the same.

3. The widest plot bordering the Commerce District and the Residential District, containing the tallest edifice, is to go to the Docks Union.

4. The plot of land near the tourney grounds is reserved for further negotiations with a private actor for a museum.

5. A series of homes on the walkways toward the O.D.S. and the Courthouse are to go to veteran soldiers of Peltarch's wars.

Those noble families who petitioned for the plots to be given to them by right of blood -- rather than through lease from a commercial entity such as the Bank -- voice quiet protest, in murmurs amongst themselves. The murmurs concern this, as well as the new denizens bound to move in to the district.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

Labor Durus

You've made your way into Peltarch's elite, and even secured a position at or near the Council. On the matter of Terra Firma, the Crown has decided: the Bank is the winner of the solid ground in the Residential District. Leases and tithes will surely now increase, as the profit motive casts its long shadow over Peltarch's most traditional and historic district.

The Bank is expected to release its list of leases soon. No doubt organizations have already bargained for their leases prior to the Crown's decision. To whom and for how much have they leased which plot? Only time will tell.

But now, a new Union encompassing the entirety of the Docks' labour force has assumed control of the district: the Docks Union. It is difficult to take a single step without running into a member. Its leader, Wilkes, and the Docks District Councillor, Roslyn Underhill, staged a series of lockdowns and strikes to cast out Jessica Whyte as the managing partner of the Seafarers. Now the major force in the Docks District, rumor has it that the Union has turned his eyes on the labour found in other districts ...

Of course, you already knew that. Just as you know that, despite its popularity among the working class, not everyone is a fan of the new Union. Opportunists see opportunity wherever they can find it, and discord is no exception. Meanwhile, the kind-hearted must navigate turmoil for the betterment of the city and its denizens. What is the future of Peltarch's common-folk and labourers? What will be the effect of the decisions you've made? What dangers lurk in the designs, both old and new, of man upon man?

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

Terra Firma continues at 2:00 EST (approx. 3 hours from this post).

• Narfell DM

Hello schemers,

Hoping to find some time today, depends on progress on my work. I'll ping Discord if and when I have the time (fingers crossed).

• Narfell DM

The tenday's time is up, and the upper echelons of Peltarch once again turn their eyes unto matters of state.

Candles are lit.

Cloaks hung.

Whisperers whisper,

Schemers scheme,

And the Council gathers anew to endeavor:

Terra Firma.

((Tomorrow))

• Narfell DM

((I understand some of you logged in following my posts above yesterday; my apologies for that. I didn't mean to set expectations that things were happening Sunday, it was meant to be the usual weekly send-off from events that happened Saturday.

Unfortunately I couldn't do the 2 days this weekend due to work))

• Narfell DM

((Unfortunately not much time for me this weekend due to work obligations, but next weekend we continue and hopefully people are back from their hiatuses as well.))

• Narfell DM

Your machinations have paid off, for now. But you know that your fellows have their own schemes, and the indirect ripples caused by your competing designs are bound to clash.

The story of Terra Firma continues.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

Terra Firma to continue next week.

Following Terra Firma, there will be another storyline as part of the Intrigue series. The results of Terra Firma will matter -- but there's always time for new schemers to join in.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

As my playtimes are limited to weekends, the Terra Firma storyline will continue next weekend.

In the meantime, players can coordinate (or otherwise) with (or against) one another.

Once it is complete (expected next weekend), the next intrigue storyline will commence.

[DM Xanatos Gambit]

• Narfell DM

Terra Firma

Most people are blissfully unaware of the invaluable, free plots of land that litter the residential district. But not you. The lands were vacated following the deaths of several noble families during the demon siege. Most died from the abyssal attack. Most.

The Crown is expected to choose new owners soon. Wealthy families, guilds, and certain others vie for the land. This spells opportunity. While they pine for the land, you sense the chance to curry favor, pay off debts, and get noticed. Who will receive the land? Who will owe who by the end of the ordeal?

[DM Xanatos Gambit]