Cia Briarfang (Kallethen)

• Seven year-old Cia Jassan dutifully entered the barn and approached a cow standing in a stall. The docile beast slowly turned to the young girl and let out a moo, as if greeting her. "Good morning to you too," the girl replied as she pulled up a stool and bucket. She sat herself on the stool and began her morning chore of milking the cow.

An odd sound caught her attention. Cia stopped what she was doing and stood up to look outside, wondering what the sound was. It was rumbly like thunder, but the day was sunny. And she could swear she heard the sound of metal striking metal. Her eyes widened with fear as she caught sight of something in the distance. Big green men were charging through the village, easily fighting off any townsfolk who dared try to stop them.

An orc warband.

Her father into the barn and called out to her, "Cia! Go! Run to the woods!"

The urgency in his voice hit her as if he slapped her. She suddenly bolted straight for the nearby woods that were the edge of the forest of Wealdath. She slowed down as she entered the woods and chanced a glance behind to see how far her father was behind. A frown crossed her face as he was nowhere to be seen. A sudden roaring shout of orcs echoed from the farm, causing Cia to run deeper into the woods in fright. Finally, she collapsed near a large oak tree, too out of breath to even cry, though tears ran down her cheeks.

"Dear child, what is ever the matter?" a pretty voice called out. From the tree stepped out an amazingly beautiful woman, who looked like an elf except she her skin appeared to be made of wood and with green leaves for hair.

Between sobs, Cia told the dryad of the orc attack.

"Ah, you poor dear. How awful that such brutish creatures bring you sorrow. Come, I know some druid friends that will keep you safe and help deal with the brutes."

Though the druids moved quick to strike back at the orcs, Cia’s parents were unfortunately lost in the attack. Twelve years pass as the girl lives with the druids…

An older Cia walked through the woods, wearing hide armor and bracers that appear to be made of vines. The sun hung high in the sky as she approached a familiar oak tree and called out, “Ambrose! Are you here?”

Her dryad friend poked her head out of the tree and smiled, “Cia! Is the ceremony done already? I did not expect to see you so soo.”

“Yes, it did seem to be quicker than I thought. You are now looking at Cia Briarfang, Druid of the Circle of Nature’s Watch.”

The dryad laughed with a playful and airy voice. “Congratulations, Briarfang. Let me see your ring!”

Cia held up her hand, showing off a wooden ring that symbolizes her as being a new member of the Druid Circle. The dryad gleefully looked at the ring, then took notice of the bracers her young friend wore. “Oh! That’s new. Are those actual living vines?”

Cia nodded with a smile, “Yes, Elder Moonleaf gave them to me as a welcoming present. He joked they’ll make me look a bit like you.”

The dryad looked up from the bracers to Cia, “How would they- Oh! Your hair! You have leaves growing in your hair! The bracers did this? How fun! That Moonleaf knows how to amuse.”

The young druid and her dryad friend talked a little longer, then Cia left to patrol the woods as Elder Moonleaf requested. The woods thankfully were without trouble for Cia, but sunset approached trouble reared it’s ugly head as she returned to her friend’s tree.

At first, Cia thought the light of the evening sun was playing tricks on her with it’s orange hue. The aroma of smoke dispelled such notions soon after. Cia broke out into a run, fearing the worst. Indeed, she saw the worst.

Fire burned the nearby woods while two demons slammed against the great oak tree at the direction of a red-robed wizard. Ambrose lay on the ground, looking broken and beaten. The next few moments seemed to be a blur to Cia. A scream of rage sounded from her throat as she attacked, calling forth a nearby bear to aid her.

But Cia was a fledgling druid, while the wizard was experienced in the ways of magic. It felt like she only took a few steps before a spell of fire erupted around her. The next moment, one of the demons slapped her with a backhand blow, knocking her off her feet and the world went dark.

It felt like only moments had past when Cia got up, but she could tell by the darkened sky that she was unconscious for a while. Swiftly she stood up and ran over to the tree, concerned for her dryad friend. What was seen nearly broke her heart.

All that remained of the great oak tree was the splintered and burnt remains of it's trunk. Ambrose lay next to the tree, her leaf hair was wilted and body bloodied and bruised. The young druidess clutched her friend with crying eyes. Ambrose looked to Cia and clutched her hand before passing away. When Cia later opened her hand, she found the dryad gave her a keepsake, an acorn.

“Cia, what you ask is too dangerous. To Narfell?” Elder Moonleaf argued. The elder druid had a grandfatherly air about himself, which only amplified his concern.

Cia stood firm. “You heard Elder Riverdream’s vision. That wizard will find his way to Narfell. It's our only chance to stop him from causing more harm.”

Bloodclaw, a feral man snorted and sneered. “And so we should send a kitten like you? As I recall, you were no match for that mage.”

“You all have duties that root you here. I'm the only one free to go.”

“Chasing a dangerous man to a dangerous place,” he scoffed. Cia wasn’t surprised at Bloodclaw’s jeering. He always did see her as weak.

“And if I survive, if I succeed? What would your Malar say to that?” she challenged.

Bloodclaw grinned. “He would say the kitten has finally grown up.”

Elder Moonleaf sighed. “I worry that you are going to find yourself in over your head, Briarfang. Yet I think it is time that you need to explore your own path and make your own decisions. However, I would not see you do this alone. So while you are in Narfell, I have a task for you.

“Seek out the druids of Narfell. I want you to offer your services to aid them, apprentice yourself to them. Be a path for sharing knowledge. And extend an invitation that they are welcome to send one of their own to us in the future.”

Bloodclaw bellowed in laughter. “You sly dog! You’ve been wanting to do this for months. Bah. Well then, kitten. You better not let him down.”

• reviewed, xp awarded