Divinity: Original Sin 2 has a GM mode

• https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/9/15589492/divinity-original-sin-2-game-master-mode-gameplay-video-dungeons-and-dragons

This is the closest I've seen something look to Neverwinter Nights since NWN2. They are having a full GM mode where you can change the game on the fly. With modding tools and the ability to create maps and original art assets. Assets you can share with other people.

The only question I have is if they are going to have a system for persistent worlds. Or if such a system could be modded in somehow.

If so we could finally have a platform to bring the Narfell experience into the modern era of gaming.

• I imagine that some clever individuals might make DOS2 workable. Look at what's been done with NWN. There are so many things that have been added beyond the scope of the original game.

I'm skeptical, but have hope nonetheless.

• @610163662a=Araighn:

Is there currently a more modern game that's comparable to NWN with persistent worlds? Any that are Dungeons and Dragons and/or Forgotten Realms?

Honestly, the only things I've seen that hit it correctly are the online D&D (whatever your flavor) Tables where you can do true tabletop gaming. But that isn't RPG in the sense that NWN is. NWN is still played because it fills a void that literally no other game has done.

• The Halfling Defence League

Shards Online might be, but I haven't kept up too much with it lately to really say

• Is there currently a more modern game that's comparable to NWN with persistent worlds? Any that are Dungeons and Dragons and/or Forgotten Realms?

• This game is sort of the spiritual successor to NWN. It's a shame that it isn't well suited for PWs, as Wolfhere says. 😞

• I'm wondering if the turn based thing won't be workable. The base game is supposed to be co-op where you can be in different places at different times.

I had a similar concern. If it ends up working well in the main game then it'd be cool to transition that concept into a PW system. Perhaps avoiding large groups getting into combat somehow. Or maybe you can stay out of the combat system to roam a map where a fight is going on with other players/monsters.

It has a lot of potential. I was excited for the game before, but this GM mode has me dreaming big.

• Great for getting together with friends for a campaign. Not so much for a persistent world. The core mechanics are turn based, which will be awkward for an ad hoc party or adventure.

Unless each zone is kept separate, and there are short timers on the turns, I'm not sure how it would work in a persistent setting.

Still, very cool nonetheless!

• I have not heard of this but now I have and it looks awesome.

• This sounds potentially promising and cool