Eclectic Ramblings

• As she enters the Glenn she is no longer Sergeant Alvaniel Danicen of the Royal Troff Legion, she is just herself. She walks across the Glenn, leaving her footprints in the morning dew, which hangs on the foliage like mithril. Wearing just her simple cotton gown, she walks over to the stream, one hour before the dun rises. She washes her hands and face in the cool, clear water, while the pixies hum along.

She kneels on the ground, and her eyes focus on the flowing stream, her mind lets go and she lets the world around her dissolve. The trickling of the stream is all she focuses on, the sound, the image of the water endlessly flowing over the rock bed, an endless cycle of wearing the same simple path all it life.

‘Never forget your most basic training Alvaniel,” the voice of Sidith Ammaker her sansei since the day she turned of age and began her training. Sideth was her fathers most trusted advisor for longer than she had been alive and when she turned of age, Sideth relinquished his duties to train his final student. “Center yourself, feet always moving, balance… it is all a dance, never out of control…. water washing over a stone.”
    She stands in the middle of the room waiting his words…. The greatsword looks so large compared to her frame, but she is no ordinary elf. He walks around her looking at every position of her body, the hands, the elbows, the hips, the knees… all ready….

His order comes without a bark but simple flow… “show me Posta di donna,” she calmy and efficiently moves the sword into position in one simple and fluid motion…. “now tell me this position.”

Her yes never meet his, instead in her mind she see foes and how they are attacking and how she would defend and she speaks in deliberate terms no waste of words… direct… “Posta di donna the woman's guard. From this guard I can make all seven blows of the sword she moves with exacting precision showing all seven blows and I can cover against all blows moving deflty she takes the defensive stances. Using this guard I can go form defense and break the other guards with the great.

thrusting the greatsword forward the wind cuts over the edge her eyes focuses movements exact. Plus I am always quick to exchange a thrust.
    Her footwork shows the grace and fluid movement as the foot which is in front advances off the line, and that which is behind passes across, which makes the foe remain uncovered and she can immediately strike him for certain.

He walks around her, her eyes focused body tensed yet relaxed, “tell me the advantages of this guard,” his back to her as he walks away.
    Moving through the attack positons, he just listens to her to make sure all steps are perfect. “I can attack and defend well from this position. I can also use the powerful strikes (or the threat of power) available from this position to force my foe to leave his guard or breaking him.”

She finishes her movements as he walks form the room, “you lessons end this day off to meditate with you,” he vanishes from her sight as she takes care and polishes her greatsword before placing it back into its holding position on the wall. A wall that holds one single thing… the greatsword… her all becoming, and extension of her body, soul and mind….”

With that her eyes snap open…. Looking around she takes in a deep breath and can smell the newness of the day. Her ears now hear all… the stream, the wind rustling the newly budded leaves, the pixies.
    Silently she stands up, leaves the Glenn just as the sun peeks over the horizon and becomes Sergeant Alvaniel Danicen once again.

• And wait.... one gives heartfelt compliments.... and he is handsome.... let barriers down... why? will only get hurt again.... * she crumples the paper up * is a whisper... * she murmurs * never happen

• Will admit... I spend far too much time gathering ore, wood and hides.... heard the call.. answered.... and met an old nemesis.... the call went out for adventurers to the ogre caves.... it was a rag-tag with just a few I knew... Tirr, Thorin.... they needed a flank... answered

We lsot one even before we entered the ogre cave. Was bad omen.... but Mac... Bat provided with scouting... both solid will travel with again. We made way through several bands of ogre vets and the likes. One wrong turn turned into a few. We kept heads, and found the elf slayer. Mac drew him back... Thorin drew him out and I saw his back... two perfect hits... and he laid dead at my feet. I had to let out an elven war cry..... I had seen him but never faced.... I brought him death. Shevarash would have nodded his approval.

• I have submitted and am broken…. I have committed all of the seven deadly sins.... I lusted after power with no recourse.... I was a glutton for ore and wood... it blinded my desires.... my greed is my downfall.... I laid wrath on the unwitting, those that had no idea of my intentions.... my envy of others... killed me.... I did not deserve anything i achieved and in the end I achieved nothing .... my pride cut my head off......... *she meditates over and over and realizes she needed to strip herself off all she had burdened herself with..... the Legion..... iuts gone she calls Theaon..... her years of searching for ore and wood.... all is forgiven... all her stored ore.... equipment is to go to Hen..... she Obviously can put it to better use..... am waiting for the ore from Remorse.... need to bury that soul..... the cleansing will continue...

Alvi opens her eyes and calls for the Lady Anna Blake and a scribe again.... I want my words written down this time....

• Walking into the Glenn, wearing just her training leathers, she walked through the first four guards with ease and yet such precision. Remorse whistles through the air a natural extension of her arms, of her soul. The pixies dance around the blade in a playful game, lighting on the blade when she finishes a guard and mentally walks through each step. She enters the trance to the last day she ever saw Sidith Ammaker.

He busrt into her tent at daybreak, tossing her leathers onto the ground. “Most haste my Alvi, we hunt,” he said sternly and with little joy, as if something weighs on his mind. “Quick, quick… I am ready, meet me outside gather what you may we travel light and for days.”

Leathers on, bow slung over her shoulder, greatsword in place she emerged from the tent, the garrison was in high alert preparing, but Sidith Ammaker motioned her to be silent and follow, the two elves left unseen and traveled north, at a steady pace with nothing said. The next three days, the pair traveled mostly through the forest cover, keeping to themselves, resting for meditation and little else. It stormed for days, but the pair never faltered at at the eve of the fourth night he stopped at the peak of the Earthspur mountains, a fierce wind, and storm fought their ever step, and it is then Sidith Ammaker halted their work, turned to her…. “Now your final test, show me all the guards, now in step as part of your morning ritual.”

Throwing her cloak to the side, bracing herself against the howling winds, she progressed, with ‘The Ochs’ and then eased into ‘the Pflug’ each movement precise, despite the environment. The transition into ‘the Alber’ and then into ‘the Vom Dach’ and then ‘the Nebenhut ("near ward"). It is assumed by rotating the weapon down and to the side from above. Passing the foot again is useful in transitioning here. In Italian this is called Posta Coda Longa ("tail" or "long tail"). Note on the right side here the point slants downward and behind, not off to the side, with the long edge aiming forward at the opponent, not at the ground. This permits a strong rising cut with the long edge, ending in an ox position. Otherwise, if held with the short edge forward (such as in a left side posture), a full upward cut with the back of the blade end in the roof position. While somewhat inviting, the Neben stance is also meanacing and deceptive.

He stood there as if in a trance watching every minute detail in each movement in each guard. “Use this when numbers are against, yet a little intimidation never hurts,” he said approaching her. “We may never see each other after this moment. You are heading on your journey now. Shevarash approached me and told me that you needed to be set free, that your life is not here but you are to head east through Earthwood. Beware, drow hunt you as we speak, and is why we left in haste as we did. We have put miles between them and I go back and south to split our tracks. You are to find a land called Narfell, and it is there you will find your fight, life callings, failings, victories.”

“I don’t understand,” she stammers. “They are all gone, the garrison, drow and duegar attack, nothing we could do about it, and yet it seemed they are after you or myself, it was not presented in the vision. Was told of our destinations I know yours however you will never know mine,” he faces her, as the storm abates almost on cue, for the last time. “If and when the time ever comes, I will seek you out, but that is all you need to know. Beware all drow, they are your sworn enemy and never forget your training and follow your heart.”

With that he turned and disappeared down the hill.

As she finishes ‘long tail’ she lets out a little smile to herself and whispers to herself, “and the honor was all mine in that last bit of knowledge that I needed to bring a bit of you with me always Sidith Ammaker.”

• The morning is brisk and a layer of mist covers the glenn as Alvi drops into a reverie. Walking through her offensive and defensive steps, her mind again wonders back to her initial training…. Hours, days, weeks and months…. Stance, footwork, hands, all important to a weapon master. Being one with her weapon, body soul and mind. Her mind goes deeper and hears Sidith Ammaker’s voice…. It is always there in the back of her mind, telling her to access each battle each situation is different, what angel, whom are you flanking off of.

“When you want intimidation and offense… show me Von Dach… the ‘Roof’.”

“From the roof” and she assumes the stance by raising the weapon up with the shoulders (held at roughly 45-degrees, not horizontal). Passing the foot is useful in transitioning here. The position is both threatening and warding. It easily lowers to any other stance or turns to the ox.

“I can easily transition from offense to defense in this positon,” she tells him, her movements crisp yet fluid. The "roof" guard may also be placed over the (generally right side) shoulder rather than over the head. The hilt can be above or in front of the collar, but not down in front of the chest. Note the blade is neither angled behind the head, nor held horizontal, nor resting on the shoulder. Some armors prevent holding the weapon above the head, hence the side version. More stable than held above the head, the position still permits a variety of threats and counters. This position easily turns around into ox or drops down to plow. She shows him both transitions into the ox and plow stances. Little wasted movements.

Fierce yet there is a drawback, as she brings the greatsword down striking the dummy. When held over the shoulder strikes are quicker and more deceptive but have somewhat less range and strength. Note that depending upon the angle and prior action, the stance can appear as if the weapon is held behind the head or neck, when in fact, this is just an illusion created by a turn of the waist.

He walks around her studying each movement she makes in showing the Von Dach. “You strike true in this position, it is an overwhelming position,” he moves her feet a little wider. “Stance, solid sturdy.”

Her eyes snap open and she smiles…. and begins her training on ‘the roof.’

• Sitting in the Glenn, Alvaniel seems to be in a trance as she seemingly without effort her hands smooth the arrows shaft in order to fly true. She meticulously attaches the arrowhead and strongs it tight into position. She smiles as her hand grabs another without thinking. She remembers the endless hours of teaching from Sidith Ammaker. How each arrow is more than just that… it is an extension of the bow, which is an extension of the archer.

“You will find this practice will replace actual meditation as one will become a union with the other,” he always said. “Just like your sword will one day be an extension of your arm, or in your case your very soul. Tedious work is good for the mind as well as the soul and I can see your future will test both.”

She fills one quiver and then moves onto bolts. If you master one, you can master both. It is all about growing, learning limitation. How can there be a limitation on a bolt. The user is only as good as his wares. A good solid made bolt will make the crossbow better and in the end it will instill confidence in the user.

Sidith Ammaker would sit with Alvi for hours watching her make arrow shafts, the heads and the fletching and the knot. All need to be in unison much like sword practice. If one aspect is out of the ordinary then it is not practice it is a waste of time. Each one needed to be perfect. “Perfection is in the eyes of the beholder,” he would say. “I have ranged for years and will only use arrows crafted by myself. One day you will be the same. I do not see you as a ranger as your path is set, but it will be in your soul for that one day if you choose the path. It is never too late.” She smiles and can still hear his voice.

“I will visit you again Sensei… before it is too late….” She thinks to herself. “I have been gone to long Sidith Ammaker and your teachings will be with me forever.”

She hears his voice in her head…. “Now show me ‘the fool’ or Alber guard.
    Her mind simply slips back to training and repeats herself…. “The third position is Alber ("fool"), achieved by lowering the point with the hands (and making a pass of the foot, forward or back, in transition). Either leg may lead. The weapon is held point down, usually between the legs rather than outside of or next to them. This guard is also called "middle iron door”. The position is deceptively open and allows for quick counter strikes.”

The next three hours is walking through each movement of the Alber. Time ceases to exist as she concentrates on each step…. her dance…. Fluid motion, nothing wasted… water over a rock. Patience in this stance is needed, using the greatsword as much on defense as offense.

“Patience Alvi,” his voice rings in her head. “You walk into battle, flank off your shield, look for your opening, patience, it will appear and when it does you will strike. Feel the blade when it strikes, touch alone you will know if it is pure or not. Do not brag or be aloof, you know your prowess and that is all that is needed. Yours is a strike of death, you will learn the dance of death and your foes will know your name…. this is all you can hope for.”

The blade stops an eyelash away from the target dummy…. The wind is crisp around its edges, it does not waver or move an inch when it comes to a stop…. Control… control…. control… control the blade, control the mind. “These are the things I can control, anything else I should not care.”

• “Why is it whenever I enter the Glenn all thoughts, worries issues are laid away.” She ponders as she enters the Glenn, takes a deep breath, exhales and lets the solitude take her. Meditation is so easy here… the gurgle of the creek, the humming of the pixies, the tones of the songbirds…

Taking her position by the stream, he mind races into the past, thinking of her teachings and of course Sidith Ammaker is always there as he was for 20 some years. A smile crosses her face as she relives her tutelage under Sidith, again she can smell the tall grass in the pasture, feel the warmth of the silver moon overhead as the pair stand side-by-side walking through individual movements, mirroring each other in their grace and fluid motion.

They both lower the weapon to the middle to acheive the second position or Pflug("plow"). Either passing or making a single small step of the foot in transition is useful here. The point should aim at the opponent's chest or throat and the hilt should be held more off to the side in front of the hip joint rather than dead center between the legs. Note that depending on which leg leads in the Pflug, the hip the pommel is in front changes. Moving in synchronized motions they walk through a few variations of this position such as puling the hilt further back near or even past the hip. Some masters are specific that on the right side, the stance is held with the long edge down but that on the left side it is held long edge up (in effect, merely a lowered a left Ochs). This "long Pflug" (for lack of a term) permits a quick cut under from behind as well as allowing better downward thrusts.

Each of these left plow positions, long edge up and long edge down. To acheive either the left hand should simply keep a looser grip to allow it turn while the right maintains normal grip pressure. The long edge down position permits quick slices and upward thrusts. Overall the plow protects and covers very well while permitting all attacks.

Setting her feet, defense ready she takes a step forward and thrusts the greatsword up and forward, they pair moves form defense to offense making sure each movement is precise no wasted motion. Without saying a word to each other they dance against the silver moon until the morning dawns.

This training takes place on this guard every day for five years. Practice does make perfect.

• *Alvaniel walks into the central plains after many hours of searching and watching…. It has been an interesting few hours…. She witnessed an ice giant be felled by groups of wolves and worgs…. Jiyyd and the area still amazes her… she watches as the giant falls after taking down so many wolves… it was pure numbers… she walked along the tree line when she felt the bark…. Cherry…. The texture… firmness… flexibility… so good for bo….. “the waking dream takes her back…. She can smell the forests of the river bank of the Duathanmper…. Sidith Ammaker and his wolf Simon sit with a very young Alvaniel Danicen…. She laughs it makes the hair on her arms stand on end

“How do you know so much of the woods around you” she asks, feeling the warmth of the moon surrounding the three. “we have been out for months now and you have spoken little to me but all to the surrounding.”
    Sidith Ammaker nestles back into the mighty elm he leans against, with his wolf relaxing in his lap. “It is not me talking it is me responding… you have an inane power with the tree my Alvi… you do not realize it and one day will…. You are power, you are will yet you are fragile like a young spruce… you” *his eyes go dark as it seems the clouds almost go dark over her head…. “will hold a power that few elves will hold and it has destroyed those before you… you will fail so many times you will doubt yourself…. You will be betrayed without knowledge and even follow your worst enemies before you set your feet on your path…”
    “Sensei, how do you know this… these are sights beyond your eyes,” she almost looks around as if being saught.

“I have walked your path so many year ago and then found my way… the way of nature and the ranger… perhaps one day but until you have fulfilled your destiny. Yours will be the way of the sword but you will need to remember where your sword and your bow came from…. They came from the ore of the land and the trees of the ground…. Respect these beginnings… embrace them… but his does not worry you know… what worries you is…..” his face turns darker quick….

“Show me…. Ochs,” he urges and Simon bounds away as training resumes
    Alvi leaps up and announces “Ochs also pronounced ‘the Ox guard”, essentially assumed by drawing the weapon up and to the "outside". The point may aim somewhat downward or upward but typically aimed at the opponent's face or throat.

She looks at him.. “Note the blade alignment by observing the angle of the cross, the blade is neither vertical nor horizontal but slightly diagonal, in fact, the natural position achieved by cutting upward. In this position note the short (back) edge aims not upward or downward but toward the fighter, while the thumb isunder the blade, not on top of it.

The hilt is held just in front of beside or the head at temple level, but may be also held just above it. Also, the Ochs is not a "hanging point" or hanging guard position. The Ochs position, although not as stable as others, protects well, allows a direct threat with its straight thrust, turn to cut diagonally downward, or pull back to cut from underneath.

Lowering the weapon to the middle acheives the second position or Pflug("plow"). Either passing or making a single small step of the foot in transition is useful here. The point should aim at the opponent's chest or throat and the hilt should be held more off to the side in front of the hip joint rather than dead center between the legs. Note that depending on which leg leads in the Pflug, the hip the pommel is in front changes.

There are a few variations of this position such as puling the hilt further back near or even past the hip. Some masters are specific that on the right side, the stance is held with the long edge down but that on the left side it is held long edge up (in effect, merely a lowered a left Ochs). This "long Pflug" (for lack of a term) permits a quick cut under from behind as well as allowing better donward thrusts.

Each of these left plow positions, long edge up and long edge down, appear in the source texts. To acheive either the left hand should simply keep a looser grip to allow it turn while the right maintains normal grip pressure. The long edge down position permits quick slices and upward thrusts. Overall the plow protects and covers very well while permitting all attacks."

She bows and he looks at here… here ends the lesson and now we train...