TALES OF THE SWORD COAST?

• http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/sword-coast-legends/#description

IS THIS REALLY A THING?

Could it be a new NWN?

experts please chime in?

• finally got the game, with a nice discount, about 15 usd.

… looks nice, probably sooner or later will look to rp with others & blog the plays.

• as ever, I will be watching o.o

• I tried it a little for a few hours this weekend.
    It's on sale for $20 on Steam right now.

I gave it a try, and the mechanics are okay (5th Edition Cooldown style, better for fast paced gameplay rather than thoughtful rationing of limit resources, more fit for the MMO crowd), though I was annoyed I couldn't make Sirion the Unnecromancer in the campaign. I played around with the DM tool and noticed a significant lack of Dragons in my Dungeons. Hezrou and Vrocks, but no Balor or Dragons.

Wizards are basically magicky archers. Lethality is low. The halfling with the greatsword in the campaign had some kind of harpoon that pulls enemies close, except it doesn't work through bushes while the wizard he was pulling's fireballs manaaged no problem.

I bet it's good for running a dungeon crawl with friends if you want something like an interactive MMO instance, but it's not what we wanted, I think. Maybe the mod community can come up with something.

• We've been talking about a spiritual successor to NWN since… the NWN2 days. Given the success of a few Kickstarters, I'm surprised someone hasn't pitched something like it there.

EDIT: I just realized some of the problems probably come about when trying to use the DnD system, WotC licensing and all that.

• It's on Steam though, which might mean … MODS!?

• I've been told it's not the successor to NWN because you can't run persistent worlds on it. It's more of a co-op PnP experience.