The Journeys of Elvewyn Di'Mastine

• Player: mcp.993
    Player Character: Elvewyn Di'Mastine

_In a hidden monastery, deep within the Spine of the World, young elven monk Elvewyn Di'Mastine is seen speaking to his old Master.

The place doesn't look like much on the outside, and would easily be mistaken by a farmer's house, but on the inside, its true splendor was revealed. Relics from all over the realms could be found within. Old vases from the emperors of Kara-Tur, statues of the gods of the Mulhorandi, and even magic trinkets from the ancient Netheril._

"Master" - Elvewyn started - "For all I have learned within these halls, for all these things we have recovered throughout the ages, I feel like there is so little I know of the world around us. And so, with your permission, I would like to venture beyond these forests, to see with my own eyes all that I have been picturing in my mind."

The elder elf keeps a serious, but serene posture as he addresses his student:

"Child, this wanderlust you feel is natural for one your age, but I must warn you: There are things out there that would strip you of your soul, and destroy your body. Your mind is not used to deal with these things. Slavery, murder, destruction for the sake of destruction, evil as an end in itself."

Elvewyn turned paler, but his face showed only determination and will, as he listened to the Master's words:

"This is unsettling, yes, but, don't despair, for there is also good in the lands. For every slaver, there are three who would oppose them; for every murderer, a dozen healers who would bring the victims back to life if given a chance; Destruction exists, but people always strives to rebuild; Evil is always balanced by Good. Now, where you will fit in the greater scheme of things, is up to you. You have the power to do great deeds that will inspire your fellow men. Or strike fear in their hearts. You do not need my permission to leave, and yet you ask for it, and so it is granted. But, I would request that you would return after a year has gone by, so you may share with others that which you have learned."

Elvewyn's posture now matches that of his Master, but for a brief moment, he fails to hide a smile:

"Very well, I shall return within a year, hopefully bringing enough knowledge to share."

_Both elves bow before each other, and so Elvewyn departs, heading toward Luskan.

In Luskan, the elf saw all that his master told him, and then some. Wandering through its cold streets, he found a young urchin, begging for some bread. He helped the lad, parting with him what little food he had.
    The young child thanked him and went on his way, but not thirty seconds later, he was being snatched by one of the guards.

"Where did you get that, kid? Have you been stealing again?" - The chainmail-clad woman questioned.

"N…No ma'am! An elf gave it to me! It's true, it's true!"

"Oh is that so? Just like last time, when that other elf 'gave' you that ring?"

"But... But..." - The kid tried to argue in vain with the soldier.

"Leave the child please. He speaks the truth." - Elvewyn's words sounded off that kid's ears like the loveliest of tunes.

The guard squinted at Elvewyn, his simple clothing making it hard to distinguish him from another beggar.

"Sod off, I wasn't talking to you." - The guard said, harshly.

"I must insist that you leave that child alone."

The guard just ignored the elf, raising her sword high, holding the small urchin's right hand still on a table.
    As the sword came down upon the child, Elvewyn held the soldier's wrist, twisting and turning, forcing the blade out of her hands.

"Run." - He told the child, his expression calm but firm.

_The kid ran as fast as his little legs allowed, as soon was nowhere to be seen, just another shadow on the streets of Luskan.

After he was sure the boy was safe, he simply turned his back on the soldier and kept going on his way._

"Hold it right there!" - the soldier barked at him. "You're not going anywhere. Hitting an officer of the guard is against the law mister."

"Is it? An officer is sworn to uphold the law, not to brutally maim children in the middle of the street. You were about to commit a felony yourself. What kind of officer is that?" - Elvewyn replied, his posture unchanged.

"Wise guy huh? Well let's see how wise you feel with a sword through your gut!" - she says, charging at a motionless, completely calm monk.

He allowed her to get closer and closer, until the sword was but an inch away from his skin. Then, he once again dodged and grabbed her wrist, yanking the weapon away and tossing it at the nearby river, before tripping the soldier, knocking her off her feet. As she lay there, gathering her breath, he spoke:

"Learn from this. It all could have been prevented if you had trusted. Blind fury leads nowhere. I will depart now, you will not be bothered by my presence again."

And so he did. Elvewyn left Luskan, never to return, but this was not yet the end of his journeys. Over the rest of the year, he would visit several other troubled regions: Thay, the Beggar's Nest of Neverwinter, Damara, and other such places. Once he returned, after sharing all that he had learned with the others, he decided to take a vow. Before his Master and his peers, the young elf decided he would devote the rest of his life to helping others. He would champion the cause of justice wherever he was needed.

"Child" - the master said, upon hearing the elf's resolution - "You have learned much in this past year. Your body was strengthened, your mind made clearer. If you wish to deliver your soul to this cause of yours, then you may leave this place with my blessing. There is nothing else for me to teach you, Elvewyn. Go now, and make us all proud. But always remember Balance: Pride must always be measured with a little humility. Wisdom with a little madness. Strive always to uphold the truth, but never assume to own it. You will find many different customs, and you must adapt to them, while never forgetting that which is sacred to us, and to yourself. Farewell, Master Di'Mastine."

_Upon leaving the temple, Elvewyn saw something he would never think possible: For the first time, he saw his master smile.

Over the next twenty years, the elf would roam the lands, returning to many of the places he had visited before, but never setting foot in Luskan, as he had promised. Eventually, he would stumble upon Peltarch, and heeding his calling once more, he decided to settle there, until the day that once again he will be required elsewhere…__

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!