Cold Caves

• I suggest that there is a connection to Arnath through the cold caves.

I am not saying it as an excuse for people to easier get to the Cold Caves but I remember when walking through there how long and winding it was and how it would make Narfell really seem linked underground if walking through enough of those those cave you find an opening that lies near Arnath, or will eventually lead there.

It would really given it a nice feel of how large and complicated the underground really is.

🙂

• Table 5.3.21: Mining Rates
    (Cubic Volume of Rock per Eight Hours Labor per Miner)
    Miner’s Race - very soft rock(limestone) - soft rock (sedimentary rocks) - hard rock (lava, igneous rocks)
    gnoll, halfling, human 75’ 50’ 25’
    gnome, kobold, half-orc, Stout halfling, Sul human 80’ 60’ 30’
    goblin, orc, uldra 85’ 65’ 30’
    dwarf, hobgoblin 90’ 70’ 35’
    half-ogre, mul 120’ 85’ 45’
    ogre 150’ 100’ 50’
    hill giant 250’ 150’ 75’
    fire giant, frost giant 300’ 200’ 100’
    stone giant 500’ 350’ 175’

Lets say we get three squads of 10 dwarves each, each squad working one eight-hour shift per day.
    That's 1050' per day.
    There are 5280 feet per mile.
    Assuming we would need a roughly 4 by 6' passage (24 cubic feet per foot of length) that's 120 days to complete one mile of mining.
    So ha! THREE miles per year!
    [runs out to find thirty dwarves to build him a passage from his house to the university, just a mile and a half away]

• Actually it would take us till nothing. It was an event ran by Masume around Feburary last year that opened up a tunnel from the underdark into the spider lands. Only problem is it was far far down on the dev list to put in and never got actaully placed, but it has been RPed by DM's a number of times since then. Now granted, you can easily ret con it, or just say it caved in 😉 but its not that we have to "dig" that one because its already done and digged.

I don't think the cold caves should connect to arnath. I DO think it would be cool to connect it to the huge sprawling underdark under narfell. Thats not digging 90 miles, thats opening up a small vent or passage from the underdark through to the deep passages of it already. ::shrugs::

• Well heck, that's only a quarter of the distance… so it will only take until about March of 2007.

• :::Coughs:::

Speaking of digging entrances in game…we've already dug one into the spider pass of the gyspys MONTHS ago that has still never gone in game 😉

• The Cold Caves and Arnath's location…

If we mapped the number of screens they are apart by looking at where the closest surface entrance to Arnath is on the surface (Darkened Caverns, in the North East Far. That would make Arnath one screen both south and east of the NE Far, or under NE Deep. From there it is 3 screens west and 6 screens north to the Cold Caves.

Now lets take a look at what the Forgotten Realms maps shows as the distance between Peltarch and Jiyyd. About 90 miles. And the screen from Jiyyd to Peltarch? It is only 2 screens west and 5 screens north. So about the same distance.

If you want to tunnel 90 miles, be my guest. I will be generous and say that you can dig a mile an IG year (or a RL month). So about 90 months from now, which makes it... hmmm... July 2012 when you will break through. Oh and make sure that the miners stay in ther IG to reflect that they are working on it.

Have fun with that!

• Can I have a tunnel leading from the Cellar of my house in Norwick straight down and south to Arnath too? 🙂

• ((Digging connections IC, would be really cool. Perhaps it would make an interesting quest.))

• We should dig these new connections IC.

[to Pink and Kuk] Can we have ooc permission, so we can work on IC?

• and it should connect to the sewers of pelt and the passages of giantspire! and to he goblin hold! and the new deeper bat cave in jiyyd via the well etc. . .