Shesarai Foutopolis

• Character's Full Name: Shesarai Foutopolis
    Screen (and Forum) Name: AubreyMaturin

I used to be a good girl from a good family. I was called Sheila Grey. My father was a scout in the Neverwinter Militia and my mother an actress and tavern singer. I had long wavy black hair like my brother Romulus, who was four years older and better at everything than I was. I was just a bratty kid sister who got him in trouble by doing cantrips in the barnyard. It was my idea to daze that chicken, but I didn't do it right and Rom did, so he took the blame.

In my middle teenage years I started getting into trouble. My father was away most of the time, and Rom was studying full time at the Academy in Neverwinter. My mother tried to keep me in check, but you know how teenage girls can get with their mothers. I rebelled.

That's when I met Ravi. He was a Romani boy about Rom's age: suave, dark, and a little bit dangerous. Just what I wanted! Or so I thought. He seduced me. That's what I call it, though seduction never comes as a surprise I guess. My mother told me to be careful, but I didn't listen. My dad told me he knew the boy's family and they were no good. He forbade me to see Ravi. I didn't listen to that either.

How could I? I was pregnant by then. I was only 17 and didn't realize I could get pregnant doing it only once. Ravi told me it was no big deal for Romani women to have a child out of wedlock. I was deathly afraid of what my father would do to him if he found out.

So I sought a way out. Ravi's aunt sent me to an old herbalist who gave me a potion to end my pregnancy. They didn't tell me it had side effects, one of which was that I never could have children. Ravi seemed happy about that. He said it meant we could have sex all the time without worrying about it any more. But I was ashamed and felt broken.

Then the real trouble began. Ravi's aunt and uncle were arrested for fencing stolen goods and his whole family had to flee Neverwinter. Ravi asked me to go with him so I did. I figured I would be his wife and live as a Romani forever.

But Ravi changed. Or maybe it was just my eyesight that changed and I could see things as they really were. He never asked me to marry him. I thought it was because I wasn't Romani enough. So I learned the Romani language and lived with him and did whatever he wanted me to. I pretended to be happy, but secretly I was miserable.

He treated me like a kept woman and a plaything. I thought his diety was Oghma but it turned out he really was a Sharessan. He belived in all kinds of different "experiences" as he called them. Many of them involved other women, and "sharing" me with other men. I grew disgusted with him.

One day I realized I didn't have to live that way and just left. I joined another Romani family and traveled with them to Cormanthor. I changed my hair color from black to red, and told them I was Shesarai Foutopolis (my mother's maiden name), the only name they ever knew me by. I lived and worked in that community for more than 20 years.

I missed my mother and Rom, but I was too ashamed and too afraid of my father ever to go back home. One day, I took a chance and sent my mother a letter. I disguised where it came from, but my mother gave it to Rom and asked him to find me. He was now a scout for something called the Troff Legion and apparently as good or better at it than my father.

Rom came to Cormanthor and tracked me down, but I refused to see him. So he left a letter for me, in which he told me that our father had been dead for 20 years and I had nothing to fear. He urged me to contact our mother and go see her. After several months of waiting and fretting, I did. She forgave me and welcomed me home. Then Rom came back for a visit and we had a tearful family reunion. He offered to bring me to Narfell, where he lived and worked now. I promised him I would come, and this time, I would be a good girl.

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!