Charles

• Character name: Charles
    Player Login: Gonnar Domne

Born and raised in Peltarch, Charles was the older of two brothers. His younger brother, Jake, was five years younger than him. His parents were not rich, not by any means, and Charles used to work at the stables for a few coins a week. He was still a young boy, fourteen years old young. He worked not only because her parents told him to do so, which would’ve sufficed, obedient boy as he was, but also out of pure good will to help the family’s economy. He was a charming boy, and the stable’s owner would let him ride the horses everynow and then.

When he was not in the stables, he was training with his father, Thomas, a retired adventurer that sold all of his belongings in order to be able to take care of his family and his sick wife. Fortunately, the treatment for Charles mother was a success, eventhough the money came never back. However, what was money in exchange of happiness and a complete family?

Charles trained everyday with his father, a once skilled warrior that had a lot to teach to a young blood such as Charles. “Best offense comes right after a good defense, Charles” He used to say. “If you can dodge a blow and create an opening, you have half the fight won. If you can then exploit that opening, then sure as hell you will win that fight”.

But that wasn’t the only thing Thomas could teach his son. The training was more than just knowing how to weild any weapon, and doing so proficiently. “Out there, you rarely face only armed men face to face, Charles, there’s other things to worry about, your dad learnt it the hard way” he used to say, showing the scar on his neck. For an hour, Charles would gather stones from the ground and pile them up in front of his father, and made a pile so big that Thomas could be throwing stones at him for half an hour. It’s true that Charles was protected with padded leathers, and that he was able to dodge most of the stones, but those that landed on unprotected spots, hurt. “You need to sharpen those reflexes, Charles, being fast on your feet can save your day”.

“A good set of arms and legs means shite if you don’t have a good brain too, Charles” Thomas told him everyday. And everyday, after dinner and before heading to bed, Charles spent some time reading scrolls under his father’s tutelage. Arcane scrolls, divine scrolls, anything. “Anything that can give you an advantage, anything”.

Charles had a promising life, even if from a poor family, it wouldn’t take long for him to be a grown up and able to make his own fortune. All was really going well… until that day, one day that changed Charles life in so many ways.
    He was cleaning the stables as always and his little brother Jake showed up bringing him a piece of bread and some milk. Charles was already 16 and Jake was old enough to get himself some coins running errands, like bringing Charles his breakfast. Jake didn’t like Charles to spend so much time in the stables, because he wanted to play with him, but he would still go there if just to be close to his brother.

“I don’t like that you work so much! And then you even stay and ride the horses for a while instead of being with me!” Jake pouted. “Come on, Jake, don’t be such a whinny. Riding for a bit will not push me away from your side” He replied, grinning at his little brother who was furrowing a brow. “Are you sure, Charles?” Jake asked, it was hard for him not to trust his brother. “Hells, Jake, for sure am! Riding will do no harm to us, do you want to try and ride with me?” Charles beamed at his young brother, who hesitated for a few moments, and finaly decided not to ride. “No, I’ll stay here, thanks, but you better don’t fall of the horse! I want to play with you later”. Charles looked at his brother as he climbed up the horse “Don’t be silly, nothing’s gonna happen! If anything happens, I promise to you that I will never ride again, so we can play more, alright?” Jake smiled approvingly and sat on the fence, watching his older brother ride the horse.

It’s unclear how it exactly happened. Perhaps a hole in the ground or a badly put horseshoe, but as the horse was running at full speed next to the fence where Jake was sitting, it tripped and bumped with it’s massive body into the child, causing him to fall backwards and hit his head against a rock. Charles flew a few feet away from the horse from the impact, and when he stood up, all bruised up, he noticed his brother... he couldn’t believe it, but there was nothing to be done. When he got to Jake’s side, he was already dead. Charles couldn’t say a word, Charles couldn’t stop looking as his young brother... and the only thing that he finaly could babble was “I promise I’ll never ride again, Jake... I promise”.

Shortly after, Charles started frequenting the temple, praying for his little brother and assisting to all speeches, mass, and public events that take place in temples. It made him feel as if Jake was in a better place, and that they were close to each other. He swore an oath to Torm, to serve him and justice. He swore it, knowing that Torm would take care of his little brother’s soul.

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!!