Druids and armour

• Again another questions since I dont have a clue.

I want to enchant something for my druid, but the ONLY useful base item I can find in the list is helemts but they are are MW metals.

Now to the dilemma of not liking the idea of wearing metal as druids are not suppose to are at least keeping it to a minimum. But the steel helm is the only MW item with a nice base to enchant upon to make it worth while (in my opinion anyways)?

What other alternatives do I have?

• To make it nice and clear with examples…

If you want to enchant something, let's say a MW Silver Helm. It will always receive the 80% base item weight property. Then you have several options for free bonus properties:

• Light (Pick the color, pick the radius)
    • Bonus level 0 spell of the spellcaster type who is making it
    • +1 AC vs Undead
    • +1 AC vs Shapechanger

The most commonly chosen free bonus property for a MW Silver Helm is the extra +1 AC vs Undead. If you chose to do this when enchanting a helm with +2 AC (8 point cost) it would have the following properties:

• 80% Base Item Weight
    • +2 Deflection AC
    • +3 Deflection AC vs Undead

And the reason it is +3 instead of a simple +1, is that the AC bonuses overlap and not stack on an item, so for the +1 vs Undead to count, it shows up as +3, making it one higher than the +2.

If anyone has questions about enchanting, please PM me. I've done a lot of it and can probably answer most questions that don't require a DM.

• We clarified the point with the DMs in the PG forum in the past.

@896552a833=Enchanting:

Using higher quality crafted items will now offer bonuses for the enchanting process. These bonuses will vary depending upon the base material used, and will be FREE properties that do NOT count against the point total of the item. Note that properties cannot exceed their maximum limits.

@896552a833=Enchanting:

Free Properties
    An item is allowed to have precisely one free property, these are properties I've deemed too unimportant to cost experience from someone high enough level to enchant.

Light
    Bonus 0 level spell slot

• Sorry Froo, but I don't see where does it say you have to choose from either crafted free property or light/lvl 0slot free property.

• If you choose one of those that is instead of picking the free properties inherent in your choice of crafted base item as listed in the enchanting thread.
    http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909&start=2

@575f96ab96=cardamon:

You get at most 1 free property when you enchant, not counting weight reduction.

That might be the one of the bonuses from the crafted item, it might be a 0 level spell, or it might be light 20m. They're exclusive to each other.

Example:
    Silver weapons get +1 dmg vs undead and +1 vs Shapechangers. You have both of these on the unenchanted sword (as well as +1 attack which doesn't carry over when you enchant). When you enchant one, you may choose one free property from the following, in addition to weight reduction and what the 1-9 points of enchanting get you:

Light
    1-0 level bonus spell slot
    +1 dmg vs undead
    +1 vs shapechangers.

You gotta make a choice.

Or this post I wrote on free properties:
    http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909&start=16
    The reason you're not allowed +damage v undead and shapechangers is that having damage boni versus two racial groups on the same enchantment is disallowed. Where the free properties inherent in your choice of base item are eg multiple skill boni you get all of them so long as they don't contravene any other rule.

…it's a lot simpler using examples.

• To make easier (from the currenty rules):
    @bf8cecaf8e:

Free Properties
    An item is allowed to have precisely one free property, these are properties I've deemed too unimportant to cost experience from someone high enough level to enchant.

Light
    Bonus 0 level spell slot

• Since the 2010 10 to 9 point and 50/50 xp loss changes the stat boni clause is the only thing to have changed.

Current policy:
    http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909
    There's a lot in there and it can get confusing. Here's as good as place to ask for clarification as any.

• @7faa8fc6a2=Gonnar:

@7faa8fc6a2=cardamon:

You get at most 1 free property when you enchant, not counting weight reduction.
    That might be the one of the bonuses from the crafted item, it might be a 0 level spell, or it might be light 20m. They're exclusive to each other.

That is not what the rules say. Base crafting bonuses do not count. The only free properties are lvl 0spells and light. Maybe I'm wrong, but then I'd beg someone to point me out where does it say it's like cardamon says.

i think the rules changed on this several times, in fairly rapid succession… it would be great to be pointed to the actual, existing, and for-now current policy.

• There's a large section in the rules detailing all the free properties inherent in the base items to be enchanted - everything in coloured text.

• @6c459a7cdb=cardamon:

That is not what the rules say. Base crafting bonuses do not count. The only free properties are lvl 0spells and light. Maybe I'm wrong, but then I'd beg someone to point me out where does it say it's like cardamon says.

• After Froo and Card's explanation, this get's easier to understand:

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=45909

A note about wood armor: there can be a wooden armor (full plate, for instance), but it cannot be crafted. You get those only via DM loot/quest/event/etc….

And once you get it, you cannot enchant it.

as for crafted leather armor, there are a few that grant an AC 6:

@a24411fe64:

AC 6
    Stink Beetle (+1 Saves vs. Acid)
    Fire Beetle (+1 Saves vs. Fire)
    Umber Hulk (+1 AC vs. Aberration)
    Bullette (+1 AC vs. Magical Beast)
    Stegadon (+2 Saves vs. Fire)

That you can enchant to get up to +2 AC (8 point enchantment)

• Clarification on what Froo said to respond to what Dwin asked.

Example: Silver weapons get +1 dmg vs undead and +1 vs Shapechangers. You have both of these on the unenchanted sword. When you enchant one, you may choose one free property from the following, in addition to weight reduction and what the 1-9 points of enchanting get you:
    Light, 1-0 level bonus spell slot, +1 dmg vs undead, or +1 vs shapechangers.

You gotta make a choice.

• That's correct. The listed properties in the enchanting thread base items section are the only ones which carry over. Masterwork Gnomish Searchagoggles would start out with more than +1 search before enchantment in the same way that steel helms lose properties.

There are no craftable wooden helms. Veil of Anvotar is an elven racial recipe. Caribou is probably halfling. I'm not aware of any gnomish crafters so you'd need an NPC for those ones.

Stag is the no-property leather helm.

• Legion

well maybe i'm wrong then. i've yet to make a enchanted helm. but everything else seems to lose their stats when enchanting. steel fullplate loses it's + 3 ac vs slashing and piercing and only keeps it's 60% weight reduction. figured it would be the same when enchanting a helm. you'd lose the base concentration and keep the + 1 bonus. learn something new everyday i guess. 😛

• .. and enchanting on the double banded gloves did when I made those enchantments??? :?

• Are there wooden helms?! :omg:

I could only find these leathers:
    Gnomish Searchagoggles (+1 Search)
    Gnomish Stereophoniclistenators (+2 Listen)
    Orcish War Mask (+1 Intimidate)
    Veil of Antovar (+1 Saves vs. Poison)
    Dread Cariboo (+1 Saves vs. Fear)

…and I have no idea how easy the the last two are to make ( how easy the hide for these are to get )

• i thought enchantments let you keep the original properties of the MW item?

• Legion

i'd just like to say. steel mw helm when first created gives + 3 concentration. when you enchant it, it reduces to + 1 base conentration. those wooden helms that give + 1 vs fear is much better then + 1 cocentration i think..

• my ratio of mundane vs masterwork for crafting steel plate is 50%. but ive only ever had enough steel to make 2 suits.

• @0ba0a79602=Fraoch:

While they may have been in the past, you'll be pleased to hear that strong crafters aren't penalised now. Each resource will take a set number of swings before it disintegrates.

nice, thanks.