Arthur Darimon

• PC Name: Arthur Darimon
    Login: Martis Filius

Born the son of Lord Gregory Darimon and the Lady Maresna, minor nobles from Hillsfar of lines that had jumped their stations several generations back through wealth, Arthur was raised in relative luxury despite his father’s move to the front lines against Zhentil Keep at Yulash during his adolescence.

A naturally bold and fierce young man who took eagerly to combative challenges and his apprenticeship as a page and squire, he was nevertheless also carefully and consistently taught by his parents to be cautious and honorable in upholding the expectations of his station – at least in the public eye. His father, who attempted to navigate the deadly politics of the Moonsea as a diplomat and minor player, was a canny politician who kept both his true intentions as well as most of his cards close to his chest while carefully maintaining a public perception as an altruistic and noble man. Despite Gregory’s best efforts, however, his son never fully learned to adopt these traits – seeming, at times, to prefer the brutal honesty of the practice field to the careful scheming preferred by his father.

In the end, however, all of Gregory’s careful scheming and long-term plans were for naught, anyhow. When he came to genuinely work toward the possibility of an alliance of convenience between Hillsfar and the Dalesmen against the mutual threat of the Zhentarim, he was ultimately betrayed by the very allies he sought, killed out of distrust and suspicion by elves who feared what closer ties to Hillsfar could mean, and all of his goals were torn asunder by the clever machinations of the Zhentarim. Out-maneuvered, outplayed, and vanquished, he left behind little but ruin for both his family as well as his state. His business seized, his holdings lost in war, and his state humbled when peace came, his family suffered further misfortunate when Arthur’s mother was betrayed and framed for crimes she never committed.

Young Arthur, born a privileged son to a wealthy lord of the realm, lost absolutely everything in his life just as he was coming of age and on the verge of earning his spurs. In retrospect, given the bloody politics of the region, he should have probably considered himself lucky to escape into exile with his life. But it is typically not in the nature of young men who have fallen from so high to so low to sublimely accept the capricious cruelty of fate and young Arthur was little different. Exiled and impoverished (aside from what he managed to take with him), he sold his services in the years since as a meager sellsword for hire and allowed his resentments to grow as the years moved on.

In time, however, Arthur found what he believes to be resolution to his crisis of faith as well as his search for meaning by accepting the lord of retribution and poetic justice as his patron and studying the tenants of his faith. Though he is still focused perhaps too much on his own life, he has begun to see that others suffer in much the way he has and that, while he may lack the power to repay the injustices of his own life, there are ways in which – even with his meager abilities and power – he might yet bring justice for others.

((Note: This PC is designed as the son of an NPC I created and managed as a DM in a setting beyond the Narfell server environment. I’ve left details intentionally vague to avoid any potential conflicts with Narfell server lore, but I’ll also withhold playing the PC until I know what of the above story is approved. The basic concept of the character is "and now for the rest of the story…", a curious foray into the tying of loose ends from a rather lengthy DM plot I once ran. I figure it could be fun.))

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!