Naharian San Fennlach

• Character name : Naharian San Fennlach
    Login: Akhet

The redheaded elf sat down at the table, a bottle of elven wine and cups already on it. He tipped his chair back, putting his booted feet up on another, the very picture of casual relaxation.

"So you wish to hear my story, eh? Very well … you paid for the wine, you might as well get something for it.

I am Naharian San Fennlach. In the dialect of our original home, it means Naharian, son of the Fennlach. We are an old family, though few in numbers these days ... oh, our original home? Long gone from this world, I'm afraid.

There was some unpleasantness with the fey'ri who had infiltrated it and corrupted many of the families, breeding more elf and demon crossbreeds, back in the day. My ancestors were away at the time, and so escaped the fighting, but ... we were of the realm, and a fairly prominent family at that.

Since my line is known for its many sorcerers, and there are quite a few scholars who hold that the potential for sorcery comes from alien blood, be it dragon, demon, or devil ... well, there were suspicions. Nothing that could be proved, of course, or I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you.

Elven suspicions are as long-lived as elves themselves, so it is little wonder that we never again reached the status we had enjoyed before that little war."

He takes a sip of the wine, closing his eyes and savoring the taste.

"Mm, the taste of home … " He grins briefly. "Not that I'm likely to see it again any time soon. Why? Oh, yes … I was coming to that.

You see, there is this girl. Well, woman. Fair of face and full of grace ... with hair black as midnight and lips the color of dark wine, but far more intoxicating.

I fell rather hard for her, and I'm rather certain that she isn't completely uninterested in me either. However, I only found out after our first ... meeting that she is the daughter of one of the most powerful masters at Evereska's academy of arms and magic. Who also happens to be very, very conservative. And has remarked several times that houses such as mine dishonor Evereska and should voluntarily head out and die somewhere quiet and out of the way.

When he found out that I'm interested in his daughter ... well, it was certainly an exciting afternoon, running from a berserk swordmaster intent on taking my head.

I finally escaped him on account of it being somewhat more difficult to run in full plate than it is in light clothing, but it was a near thing. A sword that can be thrown like a spear and returns? That's just cheating.

Anyway, I sought council with our matriarch, and she suggested that I might want to be absent from Everska for a while. Say, a century or so. And perhaps do something worthwile to raise my potential father-in-law's opinion for when I return, but best do it somewhere far, far away, just in case.

And so I ended up here, on the way to Peltarch, about as far as I can get without leaving civilization completely behind on the search for excitement and great deeds."

He got up, stretching. "I thank you for the wine, friend, but now I must go. The traders wish to leave early for that last leg."
    He nodded politely and wandered off, humming the melody of a popular love balad.

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!