Hi everyone!

• Just dropped in to say hi

What new player should know before deciding to play this game?

• Here it's much more organic. And I apologize if the rest of my post sounds didactic, but I'm just loading up the shotgun and seeing what sticks.

When we "roleplay" it's not just about playing a game character, killing the whatzit, and getting the dingus so you can get more whatzits and dinguses. Just treat your character as a living, breathing creature, and ask yourself what this creature would do in a given situation.

Which isn't to say that we don't occasionally storm the battlements of our enemies, but it happens as a function of the RP. Adventures adventure, but it's usually to make money without another reason. Sometimes an "event" comes up where a reason is presented along with a goal, and they are usually overseen by DMs, but sometimes we'll just goal. The point is that in either case it remains an "In-Character" decision to do so.

Treat your character like a living person, asking yourself what they'd do in a given situation, rather than treating them like an avatar of your own fervent desire to maim and kill in the name of glory and XPs. That's the key difference between "Roleplaying" and "Roll-playing."

Which is not to say we don't care about numbers. We do. We just care less about them than we do about our characterizations. Narfell is challenging, and survival is not guaranteed.

Me, I like to craft a backstory and a reason for each character doing what they do and being what they are. It helps me figure out their motivations and to what causes they would lend themselves to.

• ICC

Welcome to hotel Narfell…. :twisted:

• The other thing to remember with Narfell, is that whilst there are experience (XP), gold (GP) and treasure (Loot) rewards, the reward you get from 95% of your effort is developing your roleplay (RP) and developing your character (PC).

There is a Crafters Guild that can help you to advance your skills with crafting items of a mundance nature (weapons, armor, clothing) and there are several Guilds that give a spellcaster access to magical labs so that they can make items of a magical nature (Flaming Swords of Firey Doom, Fortified Armor, etc). Other characters in game can also sell you such things, if you can find the right person and afford what they charge.

By developing friendships and connections, you can find out who these people are, and even get better prices and deals.

Also, when you take part in an event run by a DM, there are often treasure rewards that can help you equip your character. Magical weapons and armor, healing potions, magical scrolls, gold, and so on. With Narfell being a low to mid level magic server, the power of such things is lower than other Player Worlds have, and lower than the single player game of Neverwinter Nights, but every bit helps.

• That's right. You can get exp through killing creatures, roleplaying with others (if a DM sees you roleplaying, they may drop exp on you), or completing DM quests (which also usually includes exp from killing creatures). There's plenty to do for both the player who wants to adventure and explore dungeons as well as those who want to participate in in-game politics and other civilian (though sometimes less civilian) elements of Narfell!

• I am not sure how these guilds work, but in WoW you can ask guildmates to craft, let's say it… platinum amulet for you, for example.

So, we rp and have fun here? And get rewarded with experience and other things?

• It's a WoW term, and their guilds are very different to ours.

Narfell is a persistant world designed by members of our community and administered by the same. It is based around the concept of Roleplay, or RP, and whilst it is an adventure server, it has a focus on low to mid level characters, magic, and danger. It is also designed around adventuring with others, much like Dungeons and Dragons, the classic tabletop roleplaying game from which it draws its mechanics and theme.

Upon logging in and wandering around, you will find more than 200 "maps" in place that have varying degrees of interaction and danger. Cities, towns, ruins, graveyards, icy dungeons, frozen mountaintops, forests, and wide open plains. Some are inhabited by humanoids who are neutral, many are inhabited by hostile creatures.

I advise that you contact a Player Guide through the Rest Menu (accessed by hitting your "R" key on your keyboard) if you have any questions once in game, as they are only too happy to help.

• Theres a ton of guilds and organizations on the server, not sure about "Raid Hours" though, never heard of that term.

• What are raid hours on this server? Are there many guilds?

• Rym, I think you typoed your statement and then misread it!

@66803ece7b=RYM:

• This is an RP server, so XP is not only encouraged but rewarded.

• You didn't fix anything. RP is not only rewarded with XP…there's a lot of other things... so...no. I stand with my previous comment.

• @e332ec51bf=RYM:

Well..first of all, hi there, welcome to narfell 😃

Things you should know…

• This is an RP server, so RP is not only encouraged but rewarded with XP.

Fixed

• Well..first of all, hi there, welcome to narfell 😃

Things you should know…

• This is an RP server, so RP is not only encouraged but rewarded.
    • You don't -need- to download any haks. We refuse to make it complicated for new players to play here 😃
    • I strongly recommend you to read through all this "New Adventurer's Inn" forum for guidance.
    • If you have any particular question, you can make it just here, or you can personaly PM one of the Player Guides/Leads of the server. You'll recognize them because it says so under their name.

cheers

//Edited to fix a silly Typo!!