PnP Spells (Divine Casters and Wizards, in particular)

• Players, please note that you should always announce to a DM in advance of RESTING what PnP spell you'd like to prepare and what spell you're going to use in place of it.

• Arcane Casters
    This is the original notice for Arcane Casters:

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=40565&highlight=pen+paper+spells,

There doesn't appear to be a specific DM in charge of this any more, but I imagine that you should be able to do it through Spellweaver or Cerulean Knights who're likely to have access to scrolls for scribing.

Divine Casters
    And for Divine Casters:

Your character pray to receive spells from their deity. They can do this once ever 30 minutes in game, or 10 minutes after a failed rest attempt.

In addition to the spells available in game, divine casters may cast from a wide selection of Pen and Paper spells. Narfell is technically 3.0, though 3.5 spells are allowed for enchantment purposes and may or may not be allowed to be used otherwise.

You can NOT suddenly say, “I’m going to cast this Cure Light Wounds to represent Speak with Animals.” You must have prayed for the spell. You can tell the DM before you rest that you want to pray for Speak with Animals.. It’s advised that you represent it with a spell you wouldn’t otherwise use. Eg message the DM channel to say, “My character would like to pray for Speak with Animals. I intend to use Entangle to represent this. Is this okay?” If allowed, when you want to cast Speak with Animals, ‘burn’ Entangle by casting it where it will have no effect. Note this in talk channel ((burning for Speak with Animals)). Whenever you intend to use a PnP spell make sure that you can supply the DM with the full description on request.

Just because one DM has allowed a specific PnP spell on one occasion does not mean that another DM will, or that the same DM will on a different occasion.

• Again, this only being for wizards, but typically you'll want to contact that DM. The inventory items were often brought about so a DM that isn't the one that made the approval can know that you have it.

• I've had approval from DMs in the past to use various PnP spells not in NWN and never heard any mention of an inventory item.

Is there a particular DM whom we should contact for such?

• For Wizards:

As detect magic is a cantrip and therefore known by all wizards immediately - you may assume this.

For other spells, you usually wish to contact a DM about certain PnP spells. They are often presented as inventory objects which have the spell description on them. Not all PnP spells are viable in Narfell.

• What's the protocol on learning PnP spells (for wizards, mainly)? Do we just take it for granted that a wizard would have enscribed detect magic into his spell book? What about higher level ones, like scrying or analyze dweomer, two popular divinations?