Romulus the Bard

• Character's Full Name: Romulus Grey

Player Login: AubreyMaturin

My tale is probably not all that unusual. I'm a little older than most new adventureres, mostly because it took me a while to realize the true nature of my calling. My familiy came from the Sword Coast, but we moved to Neverwinter while I was an infant so I don't remember any of the time before.
    My father was a soldier who taught me how to hunt. My mother was an actress who taught me how to sing and tell stories.

When I was 17, they let me enroll in the Academy where I was supposed to learn how to be a scholar. But I neglected my scholarly studies in favor of learning music and theater, and spent most of my free time in taverns, listening to stories. I eventually dropped out of the Academy and went back home.

I was barely twenty by then, and it was a tough year for my family. My younger sister ran off with a gypsy. Then my father was killed. They told us he died fighting against Lizardmen near Luskin, but we never recovered the body. I have my doubts.

My father was in the Neverwinter Militia, but I never saw him guard anything. He was nearly always away from home, traveling somewhere. Once, I overheard someone say he was a Harper Scout. But when I asked him what that meant, he told me it was none of my business. He was like that!

At any rate, to support my mother I worked the farm during the days and took jobs singing at the local taverns at nights and on weekends. My favorite story was the one about Bard, the Bowman. He was the Hero of Laketown who slew the mighty dragon Smaug with a single arrow. I always wanted to be like that.

After a few years, I married a local girl and got a cottage of my own in the forest. But I didn't settle down. I always had an urge to wander, and I spent more and more of my weekends away from home, singing and storytelling in various taverns.

One day, John Rione, a relative of mine, told me I ought to stop just singing about adventurers and try to become one. He invited me to Norwick to polish my skills as a bowman. I thought about it a little, but didn't follow through. At least not until I met Gnarl.

Last December, the wife and I journeyed to the mountains far in the northwest to visit her sister. It's cold up there and snows every day. When sister told us the guy she married was a dwarf, I thought she was kidding and he was just short. But Gnarl really is a dwarf!

Gnarl and I hit it off surprisingly well. We both knew many of the same songs, and we enjoyed hunting and trapping together in the mountains. One night while we were sitting up late telling stories, I told Gnarl about John Rione's invitation to come to Norwick. The two of us decided to go there together and try to make a name for ourselves. We promised my wife and her sister that we would look after each other. So far, so good!

• ICC

Reviewed, XP Pending!