Mystic River

• Mystic sits by one of the desks in the Oscuran library writing a letter, while she lets the quill dance over a piece of parchment, she chuckles to herself:

@7318c0d6dc:

Mr de Garmond,

I am truly flattered that you would think of me when you have need of some 9,000 gold coins. Whilst such a sum is not impossible, it is considerable, and I’m afraid that to give it to you would cause severe damage to your otherwise sterling reputation. It seems unseemly that a Knight of quality would take to begging in the streets of Peltarch like some common waif. Might I suggest you try the more common and acceptable means that Knights have used in the past to raise money? In case you are unfamiliar, I shall list them for you.

1. Extort the peasantry for “protection.” For a slim investment, you can have bandits burn a few farmers fields and then ride in and chase them away for a sizable percentage at harvest.

2. Marry into a wealthy family.

3. Bed a rich, ugly, married woman. If you are any good, she will certainly pay to keep you, and if not, then blackmail is still an option.

4. Have your Temple declare a holy war, and demand the peasants be taxed more to support it (you).

5. Slay a dragon and take it’s hoard. This may be dangerous. I suggest the time honored tradition of sending your squire in first.

If these options are less to your liking, you could try more economical means like having the senate make corners illegal, thereby denying the “darkness” good places to hide in. When you are prepared to actually have something enchanted, then maybe I can be of assistance. I can assure you, with the proper tribute, I can bless your rings and sword and armor. There will be no maybe’s. If you’re good, I may even give you a discount.

Sincerely yours,

Mystic River
    Enchantress

• Vanquising Evil

A young knight David de Garmond a follower of Milil arranges various meetings with the more wealthy families in Peltarch. Then surprisingly a letter finds its way to Mystic

@e04561c398:

Ms River
    I have asked to see you as I seek a Patron or Patrons to aid me in vanquishing evil in the lands. I serve Milil as a holy warrior and wish to clear the evil from the lands and bring light and song where there was silence and darkness.

I require coins in this war. I have been praying to Milil of late and asking for tools of great power to help in my quest.

I believe with an appropriate tribute Milil will bless my rings, armor and sword with such power that the evil lurking in dark corners will quake and tremble at the sight of them."

The letter further explains in more detail of his needs there is a ring, and a holy sword even an armour amongst his requests. Then in the end…

I seek your assistance. I require 3,000gp for each item at this stage - who will step up and help me with such? Any of you?"

Humbly awaiting your response and may Milil bless your family with lives of joy and song.

David de Garmond

• ((as the server is down I might as well be extra OoG creative and also take the time to include Moon in a last retirement episode))

DINNER
    The dining room table was set for three. It wasn’t fancy, but I had no doubts it was my sister’s best china. Call it casually elegant if you must, rustic if you‘re feeling unkind. A voice called from the kitchen - my sister’s live in companion.

“Would you like a glass of wine before dinner Mystic?”

“Yes, of course, I thought you’d never ask.”

I joined Iathouz in the kitchen where he was filleting a large sea bass on the counter. There were two bottles of wine breathing on the sideboard, one red, one white. He got two glasses out and poured the red before going back to the fish. He knows my tastes. I watched him work the knife deftly like a surgeon, a long fillet, then subtle cross cuts in the meat. Some sort of yellow fruit came next, cut in half and squeezed onto each of the slabs of the bass. He caught my curious look.

“I paid dearly for the lemons, they were more then the fish.”

“I thought you said you caught it yourself?”

“I did.” A smile played across his face. “When they threw it down off the boat.”

It was then I spotted the book at the end of the counter. It was half hidden under a pile of clean plates that were normally put neatly away in the cabinet above it. I have been a little early, so it wasn’t a long reach to assume he had quickly stashed the book when I knocked on the door. Iathouz was prattling on about lemons and cooking fish as I slipped the book out from under cover. It was an old molding text bound in leather with the edges frayed from use. There were almost a dozen page markers in it. Someone was up to something. I brushed off the cover and could barely make out the words. Practical Studies in Alchemancy. Thrilling.

“Whatever are you reading dear brother?” I opened the book just in time to hear his knife clatter to the counter amid the pile of peppercorns he was cracking with the flat of it.

“Uhm…nothing. Just some old alchemy texts. Nothing very interesting I’m afraid.”

“Oh, you know I like alchemy.” I flashed him a charming smile

A dozen page markers is anything beside uninteresting. I flipped to one of the pages. It was a long scrolling text, and in the margins were hand written notes, in elven, and with two different handwriting styles. I scanned through the text, it was spoke of preserving severed limbs through alchemy for later re-attachment. It described some rather macabre results on failed experiments. It didn’t take long to figure out the book was focused on necromantic alchemy. I looked over the notes written in the margin. I can’t read much in elven, and the first set of notes seemed to have some sort of code to them. I did pick out one word, which roughly translated means “the left hand of Corellon” It was a word I’d seen many times in a place far away. The other set of notes had the word Salamander (in common) underlined. My first thought was about newts growing severed tails back, but then it struck me. Back on the Isle, there was a elven paladin who they referred to as the left arm of Corellon because of the all the humble work he’d done. He was respected almost to the point of reverence. His name was Sal, but I was always sure it was short for something. He had died horribly at the hands of Iathouz’s mentor Higgins, who had ripped off his arm and grafted it to his own body. After that, Higgins started calling himself the other left arm of Corellon. Could this be Higgins original notes on the process? If so, what was Iathouz doing with it? Dark things were in this book, dark things I’m sure my sister didn’t approve of.

“Where’s Moon?”

The elf was looking a little pale. “She’s taking a nap.”

I turned to another bookmark. It was a chapter content page, listing failed attempts at immortality through alchemy.

“Wear her out did you?”

I skipped to the end of the chapter. It concluded that alchemy by itself could not overcome nature’s limitations on mortality. There were a lot more notes.

“No. She sleeps more these days.”

There was something there in his eyes. Something troubling him. I looked him over. I’ve know him for closing in on thirty years now. In that time he’s barely aged a day. Damn elves, it’s so unfair. …and that, of course, was it.

“She isn’t getting any younger you know.”

I could have put a lightning bolt through him he startled so bad. His mood darkened considerably.

“We’ve had this discussion before.”

“So we have.” I tapped the book. “But now you’re trying to do something about it.”

I turned to the last marked page. It was about blood magic and transferring life essences from one person to another. Images of vampires danced about in my head.

“Do you blame me for trying? I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain.”

“So you’re going to suck the life out of other people to keep Moon from getting old?”

“No. Not other people.”

“Yourself then?” I had to laugh. “You’d be just dumb enough to do it wouldn’t you.”

“The concept isn’t hard to understand. I chose to spend my life with Moon a long time ago. This is only the next step. From what I’ve found, I might be able to save her one year for every two of mine it takes away.”

“You are insane.”

That nagging voice in the back of my head said otherwise. He’s always been very deliberate. His mentor Higgins was a genius with blood magic, who forged a great many items of power using blood, and Iathouz was there to see a lot of it. I though about my own enchantments and the limitations I was encountering. I’ve known for a long time that blood could take me to that next level that seemed to be at the edge of my grasp. Iathouz had something I wanted badly.

“Moon is not going to like this…”

The elf sighed. “…and your price is?”

How well he knows me. “I’m making an amulet. One that protects me from fire. Magical fire. You could help me”

“I haven’t done an enchantment in years. Not since I left the Free Fires.”

“You studied under Higgins. I want his secrets.”

“You’re dabbling in blood magic then.”

“Yes, and you’re going to tell me everything you know.”

He paused to consider, looking from me to the book, then back to me again. He winced once, then rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Fine. Tell me what you’re planning and I’ll see what I can help you with.”

I unhooked the gold necklace from my neck and laid it out on the countertop. The gemstones sparkled in the lamplight of the kitchen. It had a pendent with a large fire opal centered in it, surrounded asymmetrically by an arrangement of fire opals shaped into a flame. Iathouz studied it for a moment.

“Gold is a good choice. Silver is often resistant to blood magics. You have blood?”

I handed him a vile and he held it up to the light.

“Dragon blood?”

“Sort of…”

“What in the hells do you mean by sort of? Is it or isn’t it?”

“I got it from a shape shifter who was in the form of a dragon at the time.”

“hmmm…random. However, it might still work. Blood magic has more to do with the strength of the person or creature it’s taken from then their actual abilities.” He handed the vial back to me. “Your physical components seem in order.

“This isn’t my first time.”

“There is something you’re missing.”

“What would that be?”

“I’m not sure. We used a blood forge. Basically, it absorbed the magical energies from the blood and transferred them to the physical components via the forging process. Literally, we beat them into the items.”

“That isn’t going to work with a necklace.”

He shrugged “No, but the theory is the same. You get an item that absorbs magic, then modify it to draw out the energies in the blood, filtered through spells that enhance the characteristics you want, then transfer it through the release of magic to the item. Then it’s just a matter of setting it really.

“You make it sound so clinical.”

“Magical theory always is. The blood sweat and tears comes in the execution.”

“So what I need is something that absorbs magic then releases it when I want it to?”

“Pretty much. Good luck finding a blood anvil.”

“How about a spell crystal?”

“That wouldn’t… be…” He paused for a moment before shaking his head with an amused smile. “That might actually work. If you can open it up a little more so to speak, then soak in in blood. You’ll have to cast the spells on it too… strong protective wards…”

“Mind Blank to purify it, Endure elements for the Fire resistance, and Shadow Shield to heighten it.” This part I had planned all along.

“Then a spell to guide the transfer..”

“Eagle’s splendor.”

He nodded. “That’s good. Dragons are naturally vain so the essence should follow readily.”

I suddenly found myself wanting to skip dinner. Iathouz read my mind.

“Not now. Besides, you should have an enchanting facility to make it permanent.”

“I’ve got use of the Oscura library.”

“We square now?” He asked.

I smiled, not yet dear brother, not yet. “I want to borrow your book. Higgins notes would be a fascinating read.”

He chuckled. “You’ll need to understand his paranoia first.”

“Why’s that?”

“Higgins wrote all his notes in code. It isn’t hard to break, but that isn’t the point. The code is just a distraction. He wrote a lot of false information in there… things that would be lethal, or worse, if you tried them.”

“And I suppose you know which ones are which?”

“Mostly.”

“I see.”

“Not yet, but you will. Go wake up Moon, this fish isn’t going to take long to cook.”

I excused myself shortly after dinner and made my way down to the library. The execution was straightforward, but exhausting. Some days you learn more then others.

• @aa7b1bb3c7:

Dear Master Z
    I write to you but, I am sure you are well aware of the threats from west. I have cleared the area across the creek from orcs several times. Now there are rumors about gnolls venturing further north as well. You should let your workers know to take extra care travelling north from Norwick. Not only are the gnoll younglings aggresive but they are also carrying some pest of sort. If any of the workers show signs of infection they will not be let inside Peltarch. Perhaps you should make sure that a healer travels with them.

This will ofcourse have an impact on the cost of the construction I am certain, but plague stricken workers cannot work. I will pay for a healer should it be necessary.

Sincerely
    Mystic River

• @44ecb3fda1:

Hello Miss Mystic,

I hope this letter finds you well.

I, too, am concerned about building on wetlands. As I told you before, it is very difficult…and costly. In addition, as I was heading to your plot, I was jumped by no less than 10 or so orcs. I fear you have not picked a very hospitable location for your home. That said, we'll do the best we can to manage the water and the orcs.

As far as costs, I can't give you a decent quote until you tell me the direction you want to go.

Are you looking to cut costs as much as possible and still have a solid structure? Do you want the highest quality? Or do you want something in between? This will help me decide which materials we need to gather.

Since I did not hear back with regards to this, we've been focused on gathering stones for the foundation - stones are stones. As for the wood, we've been gathering pine and maple to keep your costs down. We were hoping for some oak, but have been unable to locate a decent grove to harvest.

Estimated costs (this includes the actual material cost, labor of gathering, and the shipping of the materials).

Rock for foundation: 5,000 (we will need a lot more if you want a wall)
    Pine boards: 5,000
    Maple boards: 1,500
    Oak: 3,000 (estimated)

We are still gathering, so these prices will go up. But we have gathered most of what we need, so they won't go up too much more.

Draining of the land: Unknown (Few hundred to several thousand gold)
    If it's surface water/runoff, we can divert it around your property pretty easily. If it's ground water seeping up because your land is below the water table, it will be costly. You're looking at a few thousand gold - mostly in labor.

Building the structure: I estimate the labor to build your home to be around 10 to 15,000 gold. It will be more if we have to hire guards to fight off orcs.

Interior elements: Roughly 2,000 gold (mostly for the large iron cauldron).

I hope this gives you a better idea of how much it will cost to build your home. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Z

She sighs.."very well…" reaching for a quill and paper

@44ecb3fda1:

Master Z

Please accept my apologies I did not understand I had to be so specific, but here my point of view regarding the building.

Pine is a good wood to build with. The bigger, older pines are best, especially white pine, but I think almost any variety will make fine for the lodge…IF you keep the wood dry and well off the ground. It states in the book I picked up that the first log should be placed at least 20 inches off the ground on a rock/stone foundation. Also, give nice wide overhangs on the roof to keep the rain away.

When it comes to the finer wood like oak and cherry these are meant for the cabinet, tables etc...

Yes, I am well aware of the threats from the west, I have been discussing this with my friends, if you need to add a fee for the risk of building I ask you to return to me with a suggestion. However, lets be positive and call it an additional success fee.

I have no need for a wall, if the orcs come they will crush the wall anyways, it be a waste of my gold. I should prepare an enchaments, like I did with Marias tower, to protect the structure against the creatures, perhaps as rumors say even fire.

If you wish I may propose a dinner at the Mermaid for the two of us to discuss this further should you find it being of value to you and if you can find the time that is

Sincerely
    Mystic River.

• A letter is delivered to the foreman at the construction site, a letter addressed to Master Z

@bc59c33dd4:

Master Z, I am aware that the bulk material building the lodge is delivered to the site. I can finally let you know the deal is closed with the land owner and we can commence the work. I am still slightly worried about the swampyness. On my trips collecting interior trinkets for the lodge. I picked up a book explaining a little bit about "building proper foundation". Perhaps we need to dig a hole to see how much water there is and how shallow of a hole it is to spring water. Perhaps a drainage pipe need to be built, relieving the land of excess water, then filling the gutter with rubbles making it easy for the water to find its way to the canal nearby. Naturally you are the expert on these things I should not worry and leave it all to you.

Also I may remind you I am still waiting on the quotas, it would be nice to know how much this will cost me. How deep into my pocket need I to dig?!

Kind regards
    Mystic River

• CAREING CORRESPONDANCE

Romulus leaves a note under Mystic's door.
    @35e567038d:

"Hello Dearest!

I looked for you in all the usual places after my return from Neverwinter, but didn't find you. I did a lot of scouting over the past few days and wanted to specifically warn you about one thing I found. First of all, I saw the site of your new house. Logs, barrels, and other equipment have been delivered to the site, so it looks like construction is beginning. Congratulations.

However, I continued past the site to the northwest (invisibly) and after crossing the creek, I spotted two orcs west of the north-south creek near the farmlands. I did not engage them, but made my way to Peltarch's west gate to report the danger to the City Defenders. Shallyah told me that ocs have been seen in the area west of the farms on several occasions recently, and that this area is no longer considered safe. Since it is so close to your building site, I thought that you ought to know.

Be careful!

Romulus"

An envelope is delivered to the legion tower to Romulus

@35e567038d:

My Dearest Romulus,

It is good to have you back in Narfell. I have been quite busy looking for interior details for the lodge and I am expanding my trips passing the border of Narfell, you know, I want to find that true genuinine item that make the lodge also look like a home.

Regarding the activity west I am very well aware of that. I am working on an enchtment to protect myself from the horrible things I hear about. I have spent some time with the elf Raryldor and he told me the threat is real and should not be taken lightly.

It warms my heart knowing you are thinking of me and that you worry of my well being, but dont forget to take care of yourself as well. We dont know yet what horrific creatures dwells deeper west in caverns. You too should be careful!

Love
    Mystic

PS. Send my warmest regards to Gnarl should you see him about

• Carrying paper tubes under her arms Mystic meets Master Z just outside the southern gate of Peltarch .

"Greetings Master Z" she extends a hand

"How good to see you, come… walk this way with me will you" she flashes him a bright smile

They immediately turns right (westward) their trail follows by the water and after a while they arrive by an opening between some trees. There is a old willow hanging over the water. A placequite serene, maybe a bit marshy but perfect for a mage. The sheltering shadows from the willow and close to water. It is private yet in a distance, she can see the mighty walls of Peltarch giving a sense of comfort.

"I am still working on the final agreement of the purchase of the land. What do you think?"

She rolls out one of the tubes she been holding under her arm and hands him the specifications on the interior of the house

"As you can see there is a large open area, one bed room and a facility for enchantings to be made. Oh… and here are the list of all the furnitures etc that I need. My hired miner Iathouz has already started gathering some supplies and made ingots, he is quite helpful and would be a good addition to the union."

She hands him another tube of paper

@f64d0ec302:

One Bookcase
    One Cabinet
    One Bear rug
    One big Cauldron
    One round table
    One alchemists workbench
    One large Oven
    Seven chairs
    One chest
    One queen sized bed

Master Z looks around and nods

"Not too bad…

It's a nice location, now that the Orcs are cleared out. The ground is a bit swampy, though. That'll make it harder to build. We'll have ta go with a stone foundation. Wood rots too quickly when it's exposed to constant moisture. "

Another nod

"This land won't do fer planting crops. Every home must have a garden, and you'll need ta be growin' herbs fer enchantin' stuff. We'll have to build some planters boxes or somethin'. "

"Other than that, I think we'll be okay. Stone would be best, if you have the coin, but oak would work well, too. It's strong and resistant to moisture, insects, and fungus."

"The other items will be no problem. We'll get on those after the structure is built."

"Very well then Master Z I am looking forward to what you can come up with and the cost for it… lets us head back before it gets dark"

She hands him a few other notes, gently touches his elbow nodding at the direction to Peltarch, an honest sign to show him appreciation for the time spent and that he should take the lead walking back

• Another letter glued on the door, as the union master opens the envelope a puff of lavender parfume fills the room..

@020598de47:

Dear Mr Z

Perhaps, we should find a time and place to discuss this, I will bring with me the building plans and we could perhaps also visit the land I am looking to purchase. Please let me know of your availability.

Sincerely

Mystic River

• @3da0631449:

Dear Ms. River,

Excellent, I will inform my guild members, and they shall begin gathering some resources for the project. And, yes, Elidor is a member of our guild. So, I will speak to him, as well. We can craft everything you mentioned in your letter (furniture, desk, bed, chest, etc.), but they should probably wait until the actual structure is built.

I will start working on a price bid. If you already have building plans drawn up, it would be very helpful to see them. If not, I'll make my best guess, and we can work from there. Approximately, how large will the structure be? Where will it be built? Knowing the size and location is important, so we can make good choices on the lumber to use for the project. Also, depending on what you need, we may already have some cured wood in our storage.

As far as costs, are you looking to cut costs as much as possible and still have a solid structure? Or do you want the highest quality or somewhere in between? This will help me decide which materials we need to gather (pine vs. oak vs. redwood, for example). Please let me know, and I will be able to give you a more accurate quote on the price.

Finally, I don’t believe I know Iathouz, but he’s welcome to join us as we look for resources.

Sincerely,

Z

• A large black cat is circling the Union Hall in Norwick, it appears holding an envelope in her mouth. After carefully securing the area, hizzing at anyone coming too close, the cat settles by the door. An hour pass… nothing happens. She finally spits out the envelope landing in the dirt like a fur ball, she pushes it with her nose close and up on the door. With her front paws she pins it to the door licking it like a stamp. After a while she carefully one paw after the other lets go.. et voila.. the envelope is glued firmly in place. With a slow content blink and purring she seems quite satisfied with her own little miracle and returns into the woods.

@383805e0a2:

Dear Mr. Z

You are truly a heaven sent, and certainly I remember you although our encounter was brief. There are many things needed for the construction of the Enchanting Lodge. Strong timber to build the foundation. I am a sorceress and not a skilled woodworker, but I would imagine the following is indeed needed: baulk timber, girder; joist; and rafters. Maybe pine would do well for that but to be honest I have no idea. When it comes to furniture like chairs, cabinet, alchemist desk and bookcases that should be made in birch or pine.

I did ask Elidor to make me a table of red cherry. I do believe he is a member of the union, perhaps you can speak with him.

I have two other special requests and of the absolute best cabinet work you can offer, that is a queen sized oak bed and a chest.

Regarding metal work I like a large cauldron approaximate 1 meter in diameter. I am also looking at an owen, however not sure if it will fit.

I have hired a miner, he is not currently a member of the Union but I am sure he could be enrolled. His name is Iathouz.

This is my requests for now, I have already found the building site. My negotiation with the land owner has already commenced.

Please return to me should you take some of the above mentioned assignments. Enclose any of your suggestions, terms of agreement and quotas etc

Kind regards

Mystic River

OOC as my language isnt english I have no idea if the wood work for the house foundation is the right ones 😄

• @cb915f7608:

Dear Ms. River,

We met once, a long time ago, but I'm not sure if you remember me. My name is Z, and I’m a master of the Crafters Union based out of Norwick. I hope this letter finds you well.

I'm writing you because I have heard that you seek resources for a construction project. I would like to discuss this with you and offer the services of our guild. We can assist you in any or all steps of your project - building design, location, choosing and gathering resources, construction, furnishing, and so on.

If you are interested, please send word to me at the Crafters Union headquarters in Norwick. I look forward to hearing from you and helping with your building project.

Sincerely,

Z

• Ursine Battle Ring

Blood and scorched fur covers the enchanter’s workbench. The Dire bear pelt iss fresh enough to still be dripping onto the floor, and the occasional wisps of rising smoke gives casual testimony to the violent nature of the great beast’s demise. The smell is horrendous. The gamey aroma of rendered fat mixed with the pungent odors of burned hair and greasy unwashed fleece assaults the nostrils.

Mystic lights candles in the darkened room, and the flickering glow almost seems to bring life back to the bear’s remains, like it was still breathing shallowly in a deep dreamless sleep. For a moment her imagination shows her a vision of the enraged bear tearing the lab apart to get to her, it’s powerful muscles driving tooth and claw through wood and bone…

The silence of the room ran counter to the violence in her mind. Taking the bear had been a close thing. Close enough that the thrill still lingered in her spine and tickled at her toes. She felt so… alive.

The gold of the ring is cold in her hand. She sets it on the hide, then carefully removs her jewelers tools. It had been a long time since she set a stone on a ring, but the old skills were not forgotten. She examines the spell crystal for the umpteenth time, looking for the flaws she would never find. It was indeed perfect. The stone would be the basis of her enchantment. There would be no cauldron this time. The crystal would be the lock, binding the enchantments together and holding them permanently in the ring. It would have to be tuned first.

She takes the crystal and rubbs it across the bear’s wool again and again, feeling the charge building like lightning in her hand. Reaching inside herself, she could sense energy flowing from the pelt and wraping the bear’s essence around the crystal, opening it up for her magics and threatening to take a part of her with it. She augments the essence with her own, building on the bear’s strength with a spell that enhanced it even more. She wound it around the ring, and into the stone, setting the first half of the enchantment. She unstoppered a vial, swirling the deep crimson blood of the wyvern, watching as it stains the very glass. She fortifies it with a resistance spell and then pours it onto the stone, turning the blue crystal a luminously vibrant shade of purple as it consums the blood and magic entirely. Another protection spell follows and she gives of herself to bind it to the first enchantment, and then to the ring itself. It did not set easy. The magics strikes back at her like a living creature, threatening to engulf her. She exerts her will upon it, cajoling it, forcing it, hammering it down into place, until finally it binds to the gold and crystal, becoming at last a permanent enchantment.

It takes her a few minutes to catch her breath again. Perspiration matted her hair and rolls down her face. How long had it been? Minutes? Hours? In the end, it didn’t matter. She crosses the room to a reading stand and poures herself a glass of wine with a trembling hand, raising it in a toast to herself.

Another success.

• As she looks upon the well dressed boy handing over a letter, a tingeling sensation runs through her body. Normally…. well through prior experiences this would have meant there was a minor victory or a success of a small task fulfilled.

However, this time she felt a bit uneasy as she couldnt breath and for a brief moment she felt fear. This was an unusual sensation because the fear felt was for herself and what would come next.

"What have I done?" she whispered in her head

But the situation didnt call for uncertainty, she cleared her throat and smiled at the boy, opened a pouch and then dropped a few coins in his hand.

"You do not need to wait, I see to it that my response will be delivered accordingly"

She quickly returned to the back lounge by the fire. She took her time, letting her fingers trace the contoures of a beautiful decorative crest sealing the envelope. It represented wealth, and a future unlimited.

She paused almost afraid to open it, she had been tricked too many times before, and her paranoia she was a master to hide appeared it self through trembling hands finally opening the sealed correspondance.

..holding her breath.. she read the letter… then she closed her eyes...

"What have I done?" she whispered

An hour passed... she opened her eyes reached for her book, a piece of parchment and a quill.

• A letter is delivered directly to Mystic's hand by a finely dressed young boy. He bows elegantly, and waits for her to read the letter, then offers to take a reply to his lord.

• A second letter is left with Miss Lauren at the Oscuran Library

@eca9d0ffd2:

To whom it may concern

I thank you for your swift response regarding the use of your facility. I can present both references and the gold required as needed. I will contact the gentlemen that for certain will vouch for me in order for a meeting with the Herald can take place.

I have currently one creation to be done, and I wish to start immediately if possible. With the hopes of a continued cooperation.

Kind Regards
    Mystic River

• A reply is penned and left for her at the library

@f3be2ea097:

To Mystic River,

As you are not a member of the Blooded, you must present yourself to the herald with one willing to sponsor you who IS Blooded, to be authorised for use of our facilities. This includes a bond of ten thousand gold, which will be returned to you once you have finalised your study and use of enchanting facilities, less any damages or costs involved.

Should you fail to act according to the instructions of the Red Falcons to whom the library belongs, the bond will be forfeited in full and you will be ejected from the library.

House of the Red Falcon

• And another letter is left with Miss Lauren in the Oscuran library

@6665c4b13f:

To whom it may concern

My name is Mystic River, I am not a citizen of Oscura but is frequently seen in this town and I have many friends here. The place I have come to appreciate the most is this beautiful library, a place to seek knowledge and more so a place in where you can be left alone and dwell in tranquility. Furthermore, I have noticed that this library even offers the most fabulously equipped echanting facility. With this letter I will ask about the possibility to use this facility for both study and enchantings. If so, please leave me a note with one of the Red Falcon brothers to pick up on my next visit.

With the hopes of a positive response
    Mystic River

• Mystic flips open the heavy leather bound book, and turns the stiff pages looking for something.

“There!” she calls out

Moments later..

She lights four candles and places a bowl in the middle. She pours some water from an east running stream and sprinkles down dried flowers of the lavender. With an amused grin she watches them simmer on the surface. With a ladle she scrapes down some beeswax from a jar, just enough so that the sweetness doesn’t overpower but enhances the scent of the lavender; she stirs the mix gently then lets it sit for a while.

She loosens the Athame from her belt and with its sharp silver tip she pricks the top of her index finger and four tiny drops of blood falls into the bowl. She reaches for a piece of parchment and lets it soak. While placing an uncut rose quartz upon it to hold it in place she whispers;

Magic stone you draw to me,
    all love that is mine rightfully

As candles burn she calls for the strongest splendor and follows with the chanting of:

Come to me now, my charm is that great,
    this is your fate, you cannot escape
    My new love so precious for me you fall,
    capture by my power and my call

A few days later a letter is delivered. As the letter unfolds a puff of refreshing lavender scent fills the room.

• Mystic's Jewel

Lightning smote the midnight sky revealing the boiling clouds that the new moon took pains to hide away. Thunder rolled up the valley, shaking the ground and causing the leaves in the trees to dance before darkness once again smothered the landscape. The wind howled in behind the night and brought a drenching rain with it, that in moments soaked a scantily clad Mystic where she sat cross legged watching the storm, leaving her cold and irritable.

It was time.

The chamber of enchantments was ready when she entered. Dull red coals glowed moodily in the hearth, daring her to awaken them. She stoked the fire with cedar splints, but the heat did little to warm the chill of the chamber. Already the shadows had gathered as if sensing something important hung in the air. Shaking off a shiver, she muscled the large copper cauldron over the flames. She ladled in cold water from and east running stream and followed with the beeswax from which the familiar sweet scent emanated. She drew her dagger Athme from it’s sheath with deadly purpose. Tonight, there would be a sacrifice made with blood.

She crushed two sprigs of sliverleaf with the dagger, adding one to the cauldron, and rubbing the other over the bare skin of her left arm. She reached out with her arcane senses, feeling the lines of power pulsing through the room and pulled them to her, tying them into the energies in her own blood. With an incantation and a gesture, she divided the flow to form two spells, empowering both the Strength of the Bull and the Splendor of the Eagle, enhancing her own essence with them. Her eyes closed and she regarded the shadows cavorting about the room through the cold radiance they cast. One would suffice.

She picked the gold ring off the workbench, she held it tightly in her left hand. Athme’s tip felt cold against her forearm as she drove it into her skin. Dark blood welled up and ran down her arm as she severed a vein. The shadows closed in, their hunger making them bold. Mystic chanted as the blood continued run. The ring pressed tightly into her palm swelled with the beating of her heart, losing in substance what it gained in volume, until it became not so much a ring as and ethereal golden hoop.

“With this band of enchanted gold,
    I seek to be a shadow’s bride,
    Of which ever one should be so bold,
    To prove it strongest of the pride.”

The shadows set upon each other in a cacophony of snarls and squeals, but it did not take long for one to establish its dominance over the others. She beckoned it forward, allowing it to taste the blood that continued to flow freely down her arm. Her head felt light as the shadow pressed for more, drinking her essence, pulling her strength and will from her in a moment of horrid ecstasy. The room spun and she struggled to keep from fainting as the shadow gorged, the other pressing in close, hoping for a sip of what remained. Despair and agony tugged at her. Control. There must be control. Her whisper was soft and faint.

“On the edge of death so cold,
    To make us one the shadow tried,
    This wedding band shall be its hold,
    And it shall know I lied…”

She looped the ethereal hoop around its neck, the band contracting with sudden murderous strength. Too late the shadow realized it was trapped and fought to escape as the band choked off its squeal. Mystic wrestled it down to the floor and the rest of the shadows scattered in sudden panic that they might share a similar fate. The firebrand spell came to her lips as she fought with her prize, and lanced out among the remaining shadows. Her anger grew at their arrogance. All that remained were small burning husks.

“Did you think you could have me?” She snarled. “You thought to feed on me, take what is mine for yourself. What you’ve drained from me will heal, but what I take from you will last eternity.” Her laughter was cold and ringing.

The ring pulled the shadow in as it contracted to it’s normal size. Mystic studied it for a moment. The gold shone through the wet blood in spots with a deep luster. If she looked closely, she see tendrils of darkness swirling around it in random pattern. The enchantment needed to be completed.

The ring went into the cauldron to be followed by a rose, deflowered one petal at a time.

“Petals of the Rose, King of flowers,
    Eternal symbol of beauty fair,
    With this ring I grow my powers,
    On the spirits of those who dare.”

She cast the earlier spells into the cauldron, then used a shield spell to tie them off to the ring, sealing the shadow permanently inside. The cauldron sizzled then burst with a cloud of blackened smoke, extinguishing all the fires in the room. Darkness reigned once a gain, save for the faintest glitter of gold.