The New Barbarians [Challenge]

• Forking from ncharman's thread: http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=469894#469894

Narfell's lacking in a barbarian folk lately. Norwick has lost its charm. I'd like to change that by proposing a group of immigrated nomadic (or possibly repatriated if we can spin the lore that way) warriors and hunters, embodied by the new lowbie PCs from ncharman's thread. If you haven't already set your heart on a new character, please consider it.

Now off, I'm not talking about 6+ PCs with barbarian levels played like dumb crude slaughtering fart machines. In fact, what I'm talking about does not require you have barbarian levels any more than being from Thay requires wizard levels. It's just that the culture has it's own "favored class" with no bonus given except to continuity if you want to play it that way.

Going ahead and clicking post so people can start responding, but I'll keep talking so look out for another post.

Edit: Listing people who'ved signed on board. Feed me a character concept and get snazzy orange text tag.
    cardamon-ygg: Barbarian/Druid, "A master of the beasts" CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!
    northernlights: Barbarian/Ranger, Female CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
    syiedthebard:Fighter/barbarian male, "The Two-headed Reaver" CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
    Defcon1DFA: Barbarian or Bard CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
    Locrian_Danister: CHALLENGE AWAITING CONCEPT

• I might get around to playing Argish - my Barb - but I've been busy with active plots on my other characters, as well as other things, so sorry about that. 😮

• ICC

Hmmm…where were all you folk when the Mighty Frostdusk Tribe was rent asunder and the remnants fled south?!!

ah well...I suppose I could put Punchy away and make a Barb/rogue

😛

Mkable

• Sounds good, I'm retiring one of my chars and I was planning on making a rashemi barbarian in his place that was taken and sold in the mulhorandi slave markets, had a story worked out about how he managed his freedom…. instead of making another char,

Howabout he was once a member of the tribe and for whatever reason (open to suggestions) he wandered and hasn't been seen for years. as for a name...

Bodvar Bjarki ? Barbarian/Ftr using a scimitar in one hand only to represent his newly aquired tastes for the Mulhroandi falchion.

• By all means, Snow Leopard works quite well. I'll keep my Barbarian as Uthgardt, explained by the fact that he has roots in one of the canon totemic tribes.

• Pfft Snow Leopards don't live in Russia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_Leopard

But it still fits the theme 😛

• Since I haven't heard any ideas, how about we are "The People of Che'voss, The Great Snow Leopard." Che'voss, Che'vossan being words to name and describe the tribe as well as the name of the great Snow Leopard.

In a tale every one in the tribe has heard before, but a tale that changes as each speaker brings something new in the oral history of the tribe:
    @d591dff351=Maxim:

"Che'voss is hunter, but also caretaker and pride leader. Che'voss mother to …what is word? Means better that that guy, but not that guy's fault...gods just run out of good stuff when they make him...Noble! Thank, Takova. Che'voss is mother to all noble hunters. Che'voss proud and strong. We strong like Che'voss too. Che'voss tell us our ancestors once walk these lands. She tell us many great and wicked things now walk, and that out ancestors that we have brought with us us will guide us through the dangers.

Che'voss is not god. Maksym's god great cat Nobanion like Che'voss and Che'voss's too. You all have own gods, long as they not jerks who tell us what do. Che'voss is spirit of the blood. Che'voss is the Hunter's Pride.

Che'voss talk to me. Che'voss tell me to lead. So I beat last chief, and now I chief. You no like what I say and you think Che'voss not speak through me, then you know tribal rules. Victor speaks truth. Winner is chief."

Apologies to Syied, I'd already written it out and figure a spotted snow leopard might be the most Rashemi/Russian of creatures with a 'cool factor.'

I asked about making a new Uthgardt totem and got told no by that DM, so I'm picking Nobanion as my god. I figure it's suitable for a beastmaster shaman who's not a Malarite or a Mekalekkahi-ekkian.

• Going by Minsc from BG2, and a lot of names of Rashemi people, Rashemen seems to use Russian names and Russian accents (thats what I did with the one I played years ago for a few weeks anyway).

• The time has come, so I'm going to make my barbarian. He'll be a dusky-skinned Rashemi male named Argish, who speaks with a "Rashemi accent" (which I will leave to the imagination and type his dialogue as regular, callous speech). He'll be only slightly above average height (as per his Rashemi blood, being predisposed to shortness).

I agree with Card that we should make our own totem, so he will follow whatever that is, and if asked in game, will direct questions to Maksym - until we've officially formed a consensus. Deity: Uthgardt. I'll try to keep him consistent with much of the Rashemi lore found in Lein's link, particularly the Dajemma.

Some sample dialogue:

"There are goblins attacking, huh? Let's gut them, then!"

"I don't know what the hell you want. Get out of my face before I tear yours off."

"Talk to the Chief about that kind of stuff."

Hopefully that stimulates the brainstorming a bit.

Potential tribe names: Eglaron, Horonni.

Potential totem - should be some REALLY RUGGED animal, and to distinguish ours from others, we might add a modifier like "Black" or "Ruby:" Crocodile, lion, tiger, cheetah, rhino. For example, we might follow the Onyx Rhino or the Black Cheetah. I like Black Cheetah - Chaotic Neutral alignment.

• @e00c96ed9a=cardamon:

Is he looking for a tribe? They must be pretty down on their luck if coming to Narfell. They might not mind adding his blood to the tribe.

http://www.narfell.us/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=429712#429712

thats his background

• What if… our Tribe is following the spirit of a Heyokarr Shaman who came to them, asking for their help to cleanse the ancestral lands in Narfell?

All the tribesmen here have disappeared, and the Featherlight area is destroyed with dead bodies littering it. We have to find out who is responsible, and make them pay! As well as that, we must restore the land and cleanse it of restless spirits... then we will be able to settle in the land and create our own lasting tribal presence.

• I can't get NWN to copy and paste, so I can't name him with cyrillic characters.

But here's Максим/Maxim/Maksym, the Barbarian Druid Beastmaster, Erstwhile Shaman, and current chief of the ________ Tribe.

And yes, that picture's in the portrait pack, so I'm using it.

• Oooh, I might bring in a Barbarian/Sorceror, or Rage Mage as they've been dubbed in some parts. A Barbarian who can create extraordinary effects with his anger.

• Is he looking for a tribe? They must be pretty down on their luck if coming to Narfell. They might not mind adding his blood to the tribe.

• I've got a Barbarian dual axe wielding beserker who is interested in making a comeback

• Rashemon then?

Okay, how about meat and bones:

Who is our tribe and if they have a totem, was is it?

I figure no matter what, my yet unnamed Beastmaster Druid communes with this spirit, which is a, pending DM approval, an aspect of some other deity. Anyone else can worship whatever they want, but remember, we're savage nomads. Lawful Honorbound gods aren't really our thing. "Hand your enemy back his weapon for a good fight and good sport, not because big nosey god in helm tell you what do."

A few of us also talked about tribal leadership, and the subject of ritual combat for leadership came up. Basically, might gives right. If you can beat the current chief in a fight, you're the leader till the next guy hits you. It doesn't apply to outsiders…you have to have the blood of the tribe in you (a blood mixing ritual being the only way in aside from birth).

Since we all start out at the same time, and it's my idea, I'll take the first automatic leadership, and we can fight for it after that. We're barbarians, so none of the a "challenge the next guy up the list" stuff. Anything goes, although killing the chief and depriving the tribe of a good warrior is frowned on.

• Rashemen is full of spirits, animal or otherwise, which would comply with your concept, card. Since I recently rolled up a Rashemi character, I vote you go for Rashemen barbs too!

There's some great info here, which, after some serious Rashemen research, I can verify is pretty much taken directly from the 3.0 sourcebook: Unapproachable East (so its all canon).

Off the top of my head, how would this sound…
    Rashemi tribe traces its ancestors back to Narfell (i.e. way back to the sort of time when Narfell was fighting Raumathar). Lead by a wise old animal spirit who is old enough to remember their old tribe, they are lead back to Narfell in the hope of finding the remains of their once great leaders!

• Locrian might mean Hatchetface <.<

• There's no real reason they couldn't be from one of those places, and still be Totemic. That's an issue for Clerics and Druids, not the tribe. And even if it's cribbing from the only other established Totemic group, I still like the idea them being lead out of wherever they were into the wilds of Narfell by some great animal spirit…perhaps in search of an ancient ancestral shrine or something still, with reliquaries of their ancestors carried with them and their ghosts spurring them on, eager to rest and resume their watchful repose over the tribe.

@20a97e70f6=Locrian_Danister:

a more lawful, a less jokey vicious man would be a fantastic play, and a good group to pal with? Count me in, if you'll have me.

A barbarian more lawful and less vicious than your Captain of the Militia?

:x

• I'll give it a shot, though I'm more for Rashemi/Vassan barbarian types, possibly with some colourfull experiences in places like chessentia, but most of my barbarians are heavily norse themed or conan-esque. world weary but still savage.

Anyway, I'll go for either a pure barbarian or a bard.