Spellweaver Magic Duels

• Fliars are handed out, up and down the pass, to each of the towns. They read:

SPELLWEAVER DUELING TOURNAMENT

Are you a mage who's tired sparring with one who wont try to bash in your skull? Tired of being tripped and knocked down and shot by arrows? Well here's your chance to be hit by fireballs instead!

Professor Ronan Redralen of Spellweaver is hosting a tournament of magic. Those are are more inclined to fight amongst other casters instead of warrior types should attend if they wish to try their skill.

Here are the rules:

Types of Duels:

This will be one on one duels. If there is time and people show interest after the main tournament, a seperate event will take place that will be team dueling. Team dueling has no entry fee and no prizes, it will just be for fun.

Casters

You do not have to be a mage in order to participate. You can be a druid or priest, just as long as you are able to cast something (This does not include items that cast spells, you sillies). A warning though, you are not allowed to use weapons in these duels. It's purely spell casting. Take that into consideration.

Types of spells that are banned:

-Death Magic
    -Summoned Minions

(Yes, invisibility, sancturary and spells that hide you are allowed)

Other Rules

-There will be no casting before the match starts.

-Casters are allowed to rest between matches. Depending on how many show up, this rule will be changed to only allow a rest every OTHER match. This means, after your first match, you're not allowed to replenish spells if you move on. After your second match, however, you can rest if you again won and moved on. So on and so forth. The host will let everyone know the specifics of this rule before the tournament begins. No matter this rule, however… the two casters in the final match will be allowed to rest so they are at their maximum. We do want an epic finale, after all.

-Beginning of the match: To make things a bit more interesting, the first spell each caster casts in a duel cannot be directed at your opponent. Use this first spell to hide, to cast a protection, or something of that nature.

-Protections are not allowed to transfer to other matches. Once your match is finished, you will be dispelled, win or lose.

-The use of potions and scrolls is banned.

-Healing spells are allowed

-There will be a ring where the casters will duel. Leaving the ring means a loss. Which means if you use confusion or fear to have your opponent wander out the ring, then that's too bad for your opponent.. they have lost. Though if the person was held by a spell, you're not allowed to physically move them outside the ring if you're strong enough to carry them. No physical contact allowed lest it's a spell that requires touch.

Special Rule: Super Defense

Not all casters are specialized in offensive spells, but protective ones. If you are a defensive caster, fear not, for there's something for you here as well.

Should each mage run out of offensive castings and both mages are left standing, they will have a melee match to determine the winner of the draw. The melee match will consist of one weapon, no armor or shields, and nothing that reduces a weapon's impact ((DR items)). No magic will be allowed in this particular match, as it will be a melee of the cloths.

Examples of Super Defense:

Healing yourself constantly so that the opponent exausts himself of their offensive spells as they are unable to bring you down.

Strong wards, such as protection from elements or spell resistance. Where you absorb all their magics and again exaust them.

You can most certainly have a mix of both offense and defense, but if you both have -no- offensive spells left to cast at each other, then it's a draw. Then the melee match will take place to determine the winner.

Prizes

First place winner will have an enchantment done by Professor Ronan. The enchantment will have a minimum power level, however.. so no rediculous items will be commissioned. (( 5 point maximum enchantment, to be clear in the OOC sense))

Entry Fee

Each entrant will need fifty gold pieces, which will be donated to Spellweaver.

Bonus Match

The host of this tournament will not be participating, as the prize would be redundant if he did win. However, you are free to challenge Professor Ronan in a one on one duel. Should you beat him -and- win the tournament, he will offer a stronger enchantment for your prize ((Up to 7 points in the enchanting system)).

After the final match, should you win the tournament, you may replenish your spells and challenge the host if it's your desire. Same rules apply in this bonus match as they do in the tournament. You may refuse the bonus match if you wish, it's not required in the tournament.

Other notes:

If you are a caster of Bane, Cyric, Shar, Mask, or Velsharoon, you are not allowed to participate. We dont want folks smirking and chuckling darkly here.

Druids of the furies are allowed, though take note that unwanted destruction of property will be met with swift action.

If you're interested in dueling in this tournament, sign your name on the roster at Spellweaver.

((All right, I decided to put this up out of the blue, and with not too much planning. I'm very impulsive! :oops: But if this is of interest to anyone, post if your character would like to attend. I'm thinking of doing this on a Saturday night, at around the same time Fight night usually starts, just a day earlier. Feel free to post a time that's good for you, though.. we can work around the most common timezone. Please post it in EST to make it easier for lil' ol' me. Also, if a DM wants to help out, that'd be fantastic!))

• //And that damn dog hopefully

• @d445370b17=SummonerX:

@d445370b17=SickFish:

((I will be duck hunting that saturday.))

((Guess you wont be there then))

//The ducks won't be attending either

• @5f4af2f7f2=SickFish:

((I will be duck hunting that saturday.))

((Guess you wont be there then))

• ((I will be duck hunting that saturday.))

• ((All right, we'll try for next Saturday then. Dont think I gave enough notice for this weekend. A week notice will hopefully be better. Next Saturday it is.))

• (( I won't be here this Saturday, so you'll have to count me out on this one! ))

• @873e8eecca=SummonerX:

((All right, I'm gunna try to do this this Saturday, at about 5 pm est. Depending on how many folks show up, it could happen. Meet at Spellweaver Keep courtyard. If you need maybe an hour or two knocked off so you can attend earlier or later, feel free to post a time you might like.))

((Can't make it, I'll be at a wedding))

• ((All right, I'm gunna try to do this this Saturday, at about 5 pm est. Depending on how many folks show up, it could happen. Meet at Spellweaver Keep courtyard. If you need maybe an hour or two knocked off so you can attend earlier or later, feel free to post a time you might like.))

• Hearing the news about de defensive cast, Vanderkaus goes to Spellweaver to sign up.

• ((well than yah I'm interested with Belma'r))

Belma'r makes an effort to show up, but his inability to keep track of time properly may get int he way of things

• //I agree Zyphilin. I'd love to see more events like this. I know we had such a thing going in oscura for awhile. A dueling league of sorts. Maybe this will be resurrected too. I only wanted to clarify that it was in fact -NOT- going to be part of fight night. As for the haters, well, that was just a friendly elbow nudge to all the people that are missing out on all the dark chuckling. :twisted:

• @fc9f2fd678=Teringer:

//If this is going to actually become a part of fight night it should be open to all (bunch of haters :P). If Ronan wants to keep it a separate spellweaver event, he can set any rules he wants. Just my personal opinion.

This is actually the reason I hope Ronan does this outside of fight night. I always kind of view fight night almost in a quasi-ooc bubble because so often ICness is put at a back seat for people getting along, everyone just having fun, and fight night going smooth and simple with everyone on the server showing up in Norwick. I think its kind of refreshing to see a player trying to set up a big event in character, acting in character, tailoring it to fit in character, and limiting it in character, on a server that pride itself on being one of the best RP servers in NWN. Fight Night is great for what it is, but I think the mentality that Ronan's showing here is something that should be supported and cultivated far more as the norm than as a Hater 😛

• ((Sorry if I didnt clarify sooner, but this is a Spellweaver deal, not for fight night. I just thought I'd make it easier by putting it at the same time as fight night a day earlier.))

• //If this is going to actually become a part of fight night it should be open to all (bunch of haters :P). If Ronan wants to keep it a separate spellweaver event, he can set any rules he wants. Just my personal opinion.

• //Just don't rotate out the archery please! begs

• @065a8c2d0f=MexicanCookie:

((If this catches on in popularity I wouldn't mind rotating it in as part of Fight Night. We could rotate events in and out by doing 3 of the 4 events each week.))

// <g>Clusterfark</g> mage duels! I like it. I'm game if you want to rotate this in as a fight night event on Sunday. Saturday nights are often busy for me, so I can't commit to be your regularly scheduled Saturday night DM.

• @8047fa1720=Kayleb:

@8047fa1720=Vilehelm:

Anakore considers … but notices Ray of Frost will most likely not cut it in the higher tiers, even empowered

//I still think that's he best spell ever though. "Bzzzzzt Brrrr!"

((I added a new rule called "Super Defense".. this bit inspired me to add it. Trying to include as many people as possible (Within my character's IC standards, example being not allowing banites). I hope this can get a few of the fighter/mages in to take the hits and hopefully survive it to bash their opponent in the tie breaking melee match.

• Legion

@cea071b4ee=Vilehelm:

Anakore considers … but notices Ray of Frost will most likely not cut it in the higher tiers, even empowered

//I still think that's he best spell ever though. "Bzzzzzt Brrrr!"

• ((Didnt say it'd be next weekend. Since the server isnt all mages and casters, there will be a bit of time to set up a date for this. If you're interested, just post here. Depending on how many show interest, we'll then set a time.

I dont think it'd be good to make fight night even longer with this. By the last event, a lot of people have already left. So I'd prefer to do this on a seperate day then fight night.))