Simply Seven

• Tracing the engraved letters in the eroded wooden sign I phonetically pronounce the name aloud. “Norwick.” The sign indicates north only twenty miles ahead. My feet are soiled from the muddy path I’ve walked for…well, I have no knowledge of how long. I pull my tattered cloak over my shoulders pressing on against the heavy downpour. The cold rain weighs me down. Every freezing raindrop stings my skin directly for my soaked clothing offers no real protection save my modesty for what it’s worth. I must look an absolute wreck. Thank goodness my leather-bound prayer book of Torm is sealed away tightly in my weather-treated bag. That and a few gold coins hidden away in the lining of my misshapen cloak are all I have.

Nearing an oak tree, I crouch low allowing the tree to take the brunt of the heavy rains. My body thoroughly exhausted, I fall into a deep slumber. The warm sun heats up my pale, water soaked skin though a rash threatens to form under my damp rags. I squint towards the rising sun and make out a few figures silhouetted in the distance. A rather large form rises up behind them wielding a massive bladed weapon slicing them through easily. I sit frozen as I hear the gore hit the ground near my feet.

The large figure runs towards me weapon drawn. I chant quickly to Torm asking for his assistance and happily received his blessing as the half-orc stopped his sword short; the blade balancing near my chest. He snorts a nose bubble and sheathes his sword then walks on leaving the corpses of two Eastlander Bandits. I say a prayer over their bodies and remove their weapons so they do not cause more harm. Turning around, I see the half-orc following the path to Norwick. I tag along behind him knowing that I lack the strength to defend myself. He ignores me as I stroll quietly behind him.

As I walk, I fade in an out of a dream. Quite a lovely dream I might add. In this dream, a handsome, broad shouldered, blonde hair, blue-eyed knight smiles at me in a familiar way. It feels like I’ve known him for years. Kanen is his name. I laugh to out loud a few times at this. It’s funny that I’ve named the man in my dreams. I feel the blood rush to my face as I blush thinking of him. What’s strange is, I remember him in so many ways. Walking with me hand in hand, kissing me tenderly. I remember disagreements and arguments. I even picture the face of our children. It feels strange to feel so close to someone I never met in person. In fact, he isn’t even real! I muse to myself.

I see the high wooden walls of Norwick nearing with every step. I look back behind me and wonder exactly where I came from and where I am going. For that matter, who exactly am I? I don’t remember much only Torm. He has guided me to safety. This I know.

Passing through the gates, I touch my parched, blistered lips and realize my hair is full of tangles. Promptly, I pull my damp hood closer to my face. First priority is finding a place to pray and receive guidance. Now, where is a temple?

After some time, I discover a small inn-like home managed by Friar Fred that has an underground temple. Speaking with him briefly, it seems he knows me. This must be my home and Torm helped me find my way! I am overjoyed at the news. He and Kia take me in and tell me my name is Seven. I wonder why I would be called a number but I accept their words. They show me to a bath and some food waiting upstairs and give me some humble clothing. I pray for hours in the temple thanking my god for his blessings then wander outside for some fresh air, my prayer book in tow.

Sitting on the bench near the well, I rub one of my sore feet. The bustling town and friendly faces are quite a comforting sight. I hum a cheery tune as I page through my timeworn prayer book. Making small talk to a new welcoming face, I forget to breathe as I see the man from my dreams looking directly at me from a short distance.

“Love? What are you doing here?” he asks. “He called me Love? Love? Did he call me love?” My mind races. He asks me why I’m not in Waterdeep. “Where exactly is that?” I think to myself. “Seven! What’s wrong” he asks with worry in his voice.

I feel my body shake, as I’m not sure exactly what to do. Surely I must be having one of my dreams though I never imagined his voice would sound so soothing. He takes a few steps closer, his blue and silver armor shines in the sunlight. Now standing next to me on the patch of green grass still wet from the recent rain shower, he leans over gathering my hand in his. If this is a dream, I most certainly do not wish to awake from it. I melt as I gaze into his affectionate eyes as bright as a summer’s sky. My world is complete.

• A clean slate. This is what I feel my lord has given me. The days I spent with my love have provided me with unmatched tranquility. I am meeting new friends and rediscovering old ones. For the most part, I’ve been making successful small talk where my memory loss doesn’t appear to be topic of discussion. At first, being reunited with Kanen was perfect. His gentle touch, charming personality and the passionate evenings were everything I remembered and desired.

However, frustration seems to be growing his eyes. I sense a tension in the very air when I deviate from my previous behavior. Although it is unintentional on his part, his dissatisfaction sends unseen arrows through my heart. He claims he is merely surprised at my new choices and decisions but I can see that I’m a stranger to him. In my soul, I feel the years we’ve spent together and I do not want to lose him, neither do I wish to disappoint him. Yet I do.

He is a paladin and exceedingly honorable, this I know. So, its unlikely he would leave me for we were wed in view of our gods, but a part of me does worry. I, myself, do not wish to leave but I wonder if my recent conduct is an embarrassment to him. Am I unaware of the ripples I cause him and to those around me? I thought my memory loss was going unnoticed. Perhaps I am mistaken.

His love for me is apparent though I am beginning to wonder if he stays with me more out of duty in taking the wedding vows then out of love for me. I am not the same as I was for he mentions it to me often, much to my dismay. He promised he would not bring it up, yet he has. He mentioned in a blunt fashion that my fighting skills have severely deteriorated and then proceeded to ask me, in the same manner if my closeness with Torn worsened equally.

My body trembled in anger. How dare he ask me such things after promising he would not! His word is his bond…or so I thought. But then I discovered that I must to listen to his words carefully, for he promises only certain things that suit him. We argued for what seemed like hours so I could get a clear sense of what he promised me this time. At the end of it all, I’m not sure exactly what he promised though it had something to do with how he would not mention my memory loss if I spoke to Khaya and Vino and then, only in a matter of life and death. He said its not intentional but dancing around the subject isn’t helpful for either of us. I do not really trust his words now and expect that he will bring it up again.

I met with the powerful priestess of Oghma and she prayed over me offering me some clarity that I may regain a sense of my old self. Certain memories surfaced however, most are a muddle of incoherent thought. Kanen stood back and did not say a word. He didn’t need too. I know he wants me back the way I was–a perfect priest fighting in the palm of my almighty lord. Strong and capable. Instead, he is stuck with a woman who’s skills are “severely deteriorated” who drinks wine instead of tea, who doesn’t remember anything or anyone but him and my lord.

I find solstice in my daily prayers where I can burry my face and cry begging for direction. I’m not sure what to do. I don’t know where to turn.