Diary of a Fuzzy Sorceress

• Entry 1

Here I sit, with a blank book in front of me. I didn't ask for it; one of my "nieces" told me I should have a diary and convinced Lycka to buy one. The little one's reasoning is that writing out my thoughts of my problems would help me feel better. Honestly, I can't see how. It's hard to say no when she breaks out those puppy dog eyes.

So.
    Where to begin? "Dear Diary?" Why does that sound so ridiculous?

And write about my problems? By Selune, that could fill a boo .

Right.

Alright, "Diary." I'll go along with this. But don't expect everything. Some secrets are not meant to be written.

Just let me gather my thoughts first.

• // OOC: Author’s note:

Yesterday was a day that honestly has me filled with mixed emotions. Retiring a character as deep and fulfilling as this one was both difficult and easy.

It was difficult because I spent many years breathing life into this character, as I do with all of them. They are a piece of me, and perhaps Lorie is a bigger piece than most. I am leaving a part of me. I’ll miss her a lot.

Life moves on, however, and stories need to end so that new ones can start. This is how my decision was easy. Lorelai’s story was almost done. She just needed her proper conclusion.

I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to everybody who has been a part of Lorie’s story, big or small. The roles you have played helped shape who she became. I hope she also helped shape your own characters. If I wrote about your character in her diary, then know that this thanks is for you.

Special thanks go to the players of Jerrick (and Leena), Rith (and Elaine), Fadia, Thorn, Adriell, Feather, Badger, Jerr, Aelthas, Lycka, Ronan, Val, Artemis, Atel, Hedia, Benji, Maya, Karion, Rasuil, Dwin, and likely others I probably forgot. These characters made especially deep impacts on Lorelai’s life.

The DMs, both past and present, also deserve many thanks. You help provide a world for our stories to flourish. It has been a great pleasure being a part of this grand world of interconnected stories.

I would especially like to thank Metagod for taking on the challenge of running an event to reunite Lorie with Jerrick and let me retire her. You did everything I had hoped to see from this. Thank you for leading Lorelai to her happily ever after.

Though this story has ended, I hope you all look forward to me creating more.

And so all that's left is to say:

~The end~

• ((OOC: Theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cueSv6X6fGg ))

This diary is found on the desk upstairs in Leena’s house, in a visible spot where she can find it. The book is open with a small statue of what looks like Lorelai sitting on it to keep it open on the following page:

Leena,

I am leaving my diary in case I don’t get to the chance to say this all to you face to face. If things go as we all planned, we will have stopped the assault and saved Jerrick.

If things go as I plan, I am staying with Jerrick.

I’m sorry if this upsets you. You and Elaine took it hard when Jerrick left us back when you were still our little kittens. But you both are grown up now and I… I need Jerrick. My heart aches to be away from him for so long. I’m starting to get old, my hair has streaks of grey. I should be getting old with Jerrick! And I believe he needs me too. That night in the snow when his footsteps approached me, I could feel his sadness, his loneliness. He misses me as much as I miss him.

So, I plan to stay. I’ll argue with the gods till they let me stay, if I must. I know staying with him means I probably won’t be able to leave that mountain either. I’m fine with this. Like I said, I’m getting old. Narfell has a new generation of heroes to answer the call. Like you.

You have grown so much. You have succeeded in life beyond anything I could have hoped for. You have found happiness with Arty. I gave him some advice that I give to you, too. Don’t be willing to die for each other. Rather, be willing to live for each other. Be there for him and with him. When he succeeds, cheer him on. When he falls, help him up. And let him do the same for you. Tell Elaine that, too, for her and Jonni.

And don’t dismiss the idea of having kids! I believe my greatest legacy is that of being a mother. You and Elaine are my greatest treasures. Jerrick gave me Love. Tindra gave me Forgiveness. But you and Elaine gave me Meaning.

Please keep an eye on Tindra for me, though I’m sure she’ll think she’s keeping an eye on you for me. I can tell Tindra is still trying to find her place in life. She let me have her old one, after all. I owe her a lot.

Look out for Tojan, too. She’s accepted my decision, but I know she’s sad. Pixies put on a show of being carefree, but I know they can suffer like no other when it comes to sadness. She’ll be fine, especially if she stays with Tindra. She’ll still have a Kitty.

You and Elaine will always be in my heart. You’ll always be in Jerrick’s heart, too. Be happy that we are together again. Keep us in your hearts.

Love you always and forever,

~Mom

• Entry 167

Maybe I shouldn't have made Tindra come along with me to visit Dad? She was pretty vocal that she needed to stay to work on her problem (which apparently is being stuck as the sole leader of those Knights Requietum and they have issues, according to her). I think she was happy to see Dad, but I feel kind of guilty for pulling her away from something important.

But what I really should apologize for is trying to hide my intentions. Really, I should know better than to keep my thoughts and feelings secret from her. We used to be one, so we think mostly alike. She hadn't quite figured it out, but she asked the right question on our trip back to Norwick.

Wanting to see Dad. Spending some time with my other "half". Taking time to remember how my life turned around that fateful day the sorcery manifested within me. Stopping by the Fuzzy Den on the way back to the Druid glen.

"This isn't just simple nostalgia, is it?" she asked.

"No, it isn't." I answered.

She didn't ask anything else after that. I thought she would, but after my answer I think she realized everything I was thinking.

It's not nostalgia. It's preparation.

• Entry 166

This waiting is the worst. I know, I know, the crew of the ship that will take us to Praka needs time to gather supplies. It's too far to tree-walk, and no way are you going to convince me to wind-walk if that could get us there. Sorry, Aoth, I mean no disrespect.

So I've been trying to keep my mind off what is to come. I need to keep myself distracted.

Helped Peltarch try to solve it's Yuan-ti problem. We infiltrated a cave where the kobolds and lizards had siege engines and poweder kegs stored, which we destroyed. There was a portal there that would lead us to the Yuan-ti themselves. I stayed behind to help guard the boat. From the sounds of it, the mission was a success. At least as good of one as we could hope.

I also caught half of a conversation about a woman who had turned herself into gaol. Supposedly, she wants to repent for what she did. Yeah, I'm considering visiting her. Yeah, I probably don't know this person, but… I dunno. I should give her some advice. Let her see that it can be done. If she really wants it.

I'll have to do that soon though. I want to go visit my father before this trip to Praka. Just need to get some things off my chest. I think I'll drag Tindra along with me for the trip. She's been grumbling lately, so I think she could use a distraction too. Maybe she can ask him for advice on whatever it is bugging her.

And hopefully when I return, it'll be about time to go to Praka.

I'm coming Jerrick. Like that song Carol sang for me.

• Entry 165

I found Leena and told her about the paw prints in the snow. I needed her thoughts on it. I needed some comfort too. She was shocked, but believed me about what I saw. While she was explaining this problem to friends to get their opinions, suddenly she stands up and exclaims that we are going to get some answers. Like, right now.

One druidic ritual and scrying later.. we got our answers.

First the ritual… Leena led us to a little grove near Maya's shrine to Tempus, which has a druidic blessed tree. We used the tree as a focal point and with our connections to Jerrick (either as friends, family, or simple admirers) we called out to Mielikki and Silvanus to allow us to speak with Jerrick. And they did. A ghostly image of a great wolf appeared before us. By Selûne, it pained me to see him but not be able to touch him. While he couldn't speak to us directly, we were able to understand that he was having trouble. The snow, whatever is bothering him is also causing the snow. As he faded away, We prromised we'll come help.

Leena then decided to scry the mountain. What we found was alarming. The mountain was under siege. Ice goblins and giants roamed the mountain. And some mages are all over the place hitting the mountain with arcane rituals. Stuff that Jerrick can't repel as easily, he's more familiar with Druidic magic.

Now we've got to prepare to go to him. Stop this assault and rescue him.

Be strong Jerrick. We're coming to help.

• Lorelai stumbles to a bed at the Dancing Mermaid, looking distraught and tired. The half-elven woman sighs heavily as she pulls off her leather armor and strips to her clothes, setting her belongings in a haphazard pile next to the bed. She flops onto the bed, pulls up the blankets and closes her eyes to sleep.

For the next few restless hours, Lorie fitfully rolls in the bed. Though she feels tired, a peaceful night's sleep seems to elude her. With a defeated groan, Lorie gets up and grabs a book, quill, and ink from her pack and carries them to the fireplace keeping the common quarters warm. She opens the book to a blank page, and in the light of the fire begins to write.

Entry 164

This day. I just. Dear Selûne, please give me some guidance on what's going on.

Leena was pissed off today. I'm still not certain what specifically set her off today. All I could understand is that there's been an issue she's had to deal with for a while and something happened today related to it that was the last straw. Part of it is getting the blame for something that she tried to stop.

And it frustrates me that this seems to be something I can't just come up with some words that will calm her down. I should be able to, I've done it before!

So while Leena vented her anger at the ogres (I actually feel kind of bad for the beasts, she probably hit them with the fury of a thunderstorm), I decided to join Korra and a few others on a hunt of orcs and their wolves.

Hours later, in the city commons area, some kids came by and started playing in the snow. Rary and Keerla started to help them build a snowman. I decided to join in. Thought it'd be nice to do something simple and fun. We built a snowwoman, making it look like the governess of the kids' orphanage, and a snow tiger. We were having a good time.

But then Rary seemed to have sensed something, as he cast a few spells, the type one would cast if expecting a magically cloaked assailant. I then noticed a trail of paw prints in the snow. Wolf paws. They "walked" up to me and through me, continuing on for a little ways before disappearing.

I could feel a presence then. All of a sudden I could feel my heart aching even harder. Sadness. Loneliness.

Jerrick.

I need you.

You need me.

• Entry 163

Leena met another new druid I found but forgot to mention earlier. Sasa's her name, and she's quite the odd one. A feral looking hin. She seems nice, but can act very much like a wild animal. I also got to meet another member of the Circle, Wick. He's a friendly and cheerful hin. More like a farmer than a druid, perhaps he serves Chauntea?

Leena, Aoth, and Wick were able to talk to Sasa in that silly druid-speak. You know, sometimes I wish I really was a druid just so I can understand that babbling talk they make at times.

Anyways, we all had a good romp through the swamps hunting with Sasa. Maybe she'll join the Circle?

• Entry 162

I'm staring at a sword I didn't think I'd be holding again. It's a sword that I gave Leena when I felt she was old enough to have it. Forged by elven hands, meant for those with elven blood. I wanted to make sure she had something to protect herself while at the same time keeping a connection to our elven heritage. It's something I didn't get growing up, the barbarian tribe did all they could to keep him out of the village (not that they always succeeded).

The blade served Leena well. And she served it well. I always knew there was something special about this sword, but never could figure it out. But Leena did. Of course she did. She used it to help rescue elven spirits from the old camp, and they rewarded her for it by revealing the sword's secrets.

But years have passed since then and Leena has come to prefer scimitars. So instead of letting this sword gather more dust, she's letting me use it. The sword has come full circle. How druidic.

I can't help but feel like this is my greatest legacy. Of all my deeds, the one that truly has left it's mark is being a mother.

I wonder if Jerrick has similar thoughts.

• Entry 161

Leena and Arty are engaged! I'm very happy for both of them. They just belong together. When I look at Leena and Arty, they remind me of Jerrick and I. Dinner dates and cuddles in between adventures of slaying monsters and saving the world. Those were the good ol' days.

They're her days now. Selûne and Mielikki bless her.

• Entry 160

Enough moping I suppose. I decided it was time to do what I do best and stumble into trouble.

Seriously, I can do that. It's rather easy actually. The first step is to try to NOT look for trouble. Trouble always comes for you when you aren't looking for it. If trouble were an animal, it'd be a cat.

So, I found myself facing trouble twice within only a day or so. Twice and a half if you count the people looking for Z. Told you it was easy.

First, when I got to Peltarch, this wraith-like spirit started attacking a gnomish paladin by the name of Warziver. Between all the adventurers there (including my Leena), we managed to release the spirit from it's undeath. Oddly, the spirit looked like it was an orc in it's former life. Shortly after this, alarms sounded from both the south and west gates of the city. Warziver went south, while Leena went west. Since more of the adventurers followed Leena, I followed Warziver to help defend the southern gate.

I bet you expected I'd follow Leena. Other mothers probably would. But she's not a kitten now (though she'll always be one of my Kittens). I knew she'd be fine. It turned out that there was probably more trouble on the west gate, but it was probably good that I helped Warziver guard the south, as there was only a couple of city guards, Warziver, Keerla, and myself. A spirit did show, this one looking like a kobold. It didn't hurt us too much, but it was hard to hit and when I did, it did almost nothing. Even the arrows blessed by Kelemvore only barely stung it. So we kept it tied up for a long time until Leena came charging in after the west was secured.

There was some talk about the spirits being caused by some kind of lethal drink. I didn't catch a full description, but basically these beverages are tainted with the essence of undead and it slowly kills you and you become an undead. Pretty damn twisted. So the suspicions were that the orcs and the kobolds had gotten these drinks, and we quickly mobilized to stop this problem.

To make a long story short, yes, both kobolds and orcs had those drinks. And we retrieved what remaining bottles hadn't gotten drunk. And that's when my (not so) favorite adventuring game of "Who Is More Stubborn" happened. On one side, we had Warziver. On the other side, we had Laerune, who is this elven woman who really doesn't seem to like doing what she's told. And I guess is deemed to be 'evil' by paladins, namely Warziver. All this because she had acquired one of the bottles and he didn't trust her.

Okay, yes, if she's 'evil', then we probably don't want her to keep these drinks. And if she's trying to be a better person like she claims, she probably should have just handed it over. At the same time, I can't say I like it when paladins get on a high horse and throw out all tact in this kind of situation. Maybe I've spent too much time with the druid Circle. Just because she's evil doesn't mean you need to treat her like she's dirt. That's just going to make her rebel against you.

I'm rambling here. Caling finally got Laerune to give it up. Leena blasted the collected bottles with divine fire and light. Hooray, the day was saved from further monotony.

Afterward, Leena and I spent some time with a new druid to the area, Korra. She's a good woman, very observant and with a good head on her shoulders. She said she came from Lethyr to Narfell specifically because tales of what happened to our Circle had reached her ears. Too bad she missed the fun of closing the demon portal, but I'm sure she'll find plenty to help us out with.

Then these shady people showed up looking for Z. Guess they were under the impression that he'd be delivering some girl to them in exchange for ore. He tried telling him he was planning to just buy the ore instead. Not sure they really cared for that. They want this lass and if I get the feeling were the lass I would NOT want to be found by these people.

When those thugs left, Leena suggested going south to Norwick for various reasons. And so it was that Leena, Korra, Z, Hedia, Roslyn (halfling friend of Leena's) found trouble. And dragged Atel and Chaevre (I still don't trust that woman) with us. We found this gem lying on the ground and realized it was some kind of planar thing. That thing sucked us up in a whirlwind and moved us to someplace else.

I still can't help but shudder. That whirlwind reminded me of that one time I got myself sucked up into a twister when I tried to visit Feather. I'm not retelling it here, go re-read it yourself. Considering that I was almost dead from that twister, I think I have every right to be scared of being sucked into a whirlwind.

We found ourselves in a forest, with a bridge leading to lizardmen on one side and a village in the other direction. We chose the village. Unfortunately, what we assumed was a peaceful village was more than that. It was filled with the preserved yet dead bodies of everybody. It was like the bodies were frozen in time, but everything else wasn't. Grass overgrew everywhere, buildings were weathered with age. And at the center of the village was a big tree that had a corrupted dryad. We tried to reason with her, but in the end she summoned a swarm of stirges and we had to fight. It was a long battle, but we eventually killed her. The dead villagers immediate succumbed to the ravages of time and decomposed.

After some rest and Z hallowing the area to remove the corruption, we ventured on into a cave and found ourselves facing some drow that we thought also had a captive. We killed one group of the drow, and the mage surrendered and asked us to spare him in exchange for information and possible offerings of wares in the future. We took the nicer option and let him live, and he showed us a secret passage that let us surprise the drow priestess and her body guards. Despite the surprise, she was a formidable foe who did not die quickly. But die she did.

We couldn't find the captive though, but we followed the cave we thought he escaped through and then found ourselves in a desert. A short distance away from the cave there was an oasis, and there we found this strange blue skinned hafling. Or child. Really, he was a djinn, a minor one. The drow apparently were planning to stuff him in a bottle to force wishes out of him. We did get a wish from him, but since he was a minor djinn, all he could do was give us some wealth in the form of gold and gems. Apparently, it was he who created the gem that made that teleporting whirlwind.

The djinn left us, but we were able to return home with Leena's treewalking spell. Chaevre opted to use her own magic to return home, which was fine by me. Like I said before, I still don't trust her.

Once back at the druid glen from this adventure, I decided to sleep. I earned it. Maybe next time I shouldn't try so hard to not find trouble. More than enough found me.

• Entry 159

I've been spending some time alone this past tenday. It helps that things are mostly quiet now that the demon business is done. It seemed like the right time to pause and do some reflection.

I've been re-reading this diary. While it's not my whole life, it does chronicle a good portion of it. Reading each entry really takes me back to how I felt at various points. The feelings come rushing back to me as I relive those moments in my mind. I find it cathartic and uplifting, even the entries that bring forward my low points full of sadness, guilt, or despair.

Did I ever thank Nica for making me start this diary? I honestly can't remember. I should.

Reliving my life through these words has made me realize a couple of things.

First, I'm starting to get old. I feel years starting to weigh on me. My hair has some streaks of grey. There are wrinkles under my eyes.

Second, I miss old friends and family that I don't see around. Some because they moved away. Some because they have passed on. A few because they are being even more hermit like than I am right now. Most of all though, I miss Jerrick.

Can I be selfish now? Haven't I earned it? Hasn't he earned it?

We are soulmates.

This soul wants her mate.

• Entry 158

Well now. Leena bounced back quite well. Of course she did. Jerrick was never one to sulk for too long. Neither was I, I'd like to think. At least, not when something more important was on the line.

She did it. The demon portal in Jiyyd is closed.

Now, I know there were a lot of other people involved. Other druids, people from Peltarch, from Norwick, from the Legion, from the Wolves, from Spellweaver… and probably more I don't realize. But Leena was the architect of this whole effort. She led those people to the tower of Helm, to that demon-who's-name-I-cannot-pronounce, to the demon portal.

The tower was opened. The demons were defeated. And the portal was closed.

Albryana gave up the rest of her life here to become an Eternal Watcher of Helm. Her spirit will now keep vigil over the land and make sure this does not happen again.

I'll miss you, Albry. You were always a good friend to Jerrick and I, and a wonderful babysitter to the kittens. Helm should be thankful he has such a wonderful soul as his Eternal Watcher.

Leena finished what you started, Jerrick. I'm so proud of her. I know you are too.

Seeing these young people (my daughters included) fill in where old friends used to be has me realizing that I'm getting old. Seeing Aelthas as an old wolf makes me feel old. I don't adventure much these days. I don't need to be here to protect the land. This land has new guardians. I think it's in good hands.

That makes my heart ache for Jerrick more.

• Entry 157

Mothers have an interesting instinct when it comes to their kittens. We can just tell when something is wrong. I could tell instantly when I saw her walking through the Nars Pass. It wasn't just a normal anger. She was upset at herself.

Leena led a group to find the lich's phylactery. I don't know the specifics of what happened. She told me they did succeed, but one of the demons managed to kill Leena with a spell. She was mad at herself for letting her guard down. She should have recast her Death Ward spell after it was dispelled. How could she be so stupid.

She's not stupid. Mistakes tend to be more obvious after the fact. Glaringly so. She should be glad they succeeded. She should be proud that even when she fell, the people she led kept up and brought her back. THAT is true power. You can have all the magic or physical strength in the world, but if you don't have others who will fight at your side you will falter and fail. By the stars, I know Jerrick and I have made plenty of mistakes ourselves.

As I comforted her and talked some sense back into her, I couldn't help but remember how I used to do the same with her father. How many nights had Jerrick stomping around upset at something and I'd be there to calm him down? It's tough when the weight of the world is on your shoulders. Tonight felt like that. Yet, she is not Jerrick. I have to admit it makes me miss him a little more.

Arty also apologized to me for Leena falling to that demon. He felt like he should have done more to protect her. I told him too that they shouldn't beat themselves up over what happened. Could they have done better? Maybe, in hindsight. They did the best they could. Humble pie is hard to swallow sometimes.

But I think I told Arty something more important. I don't want him to just try to protect Leena. By Selûne, keeping her "safe" would be impossible (much like her father, again). He needs to be there with her. To lift her up when she falls. To cheer her when she succeeds. To have her do the same for him.

That's the way Jerrick and I are. That's what she needs.

• Entry 156

A marshmallow mountain. Tojan actually managed to build a marshmallow mountain (well, from a pixie view). And then she climbed it and tried to eat it. I should have known she was serious about doing it.

But they weren't her marshmallows! By Selûne, that merchant was upset. Fortunately, I was able to calm him down. All I had to do was simply buy all the marshmallows.

The things I do for my pixie…

• // edit: Wrong diary, dammit.

• Entry 155

I'm a grandmother! I can't believe it! Oh, I can't wait for Tindra to find out.

Leena mentioned Jonni and then let slip that he had a daughter with Elaine. Ah, I'm so glad to hear those two did finally get married and now have a daughter of their own! This is some of the best news yet!

I met one of Tindra's new friends. She's a little elven lass by the name of Keerla. Something about her kind of reminds me of how I was when I first found myself in Norwick all those many decades ago. She's nice. She must be if Tojan already gave her a Name. That name is Sprout, by the way.

I also met Atel's daughter, Tanya. She's interesting… a seer. She told me I have two fates. I wonder if what she saw was me and Tindra? Are we still connected? Even after all these years of being separate people? It makes me wonder...

Bah. Enough with the self-guilt. I should focus on being a grandma!

• Entry 154

I got to talk to Arty more. Still need to get to know him more, of course, but we had a good talk. We've got some things in common. Both blessed with sorcery. Both left home due to that sorcery (though the why it was bad differs some). Both experienced being shunned because of prejudices.

Really though, my biggest concern with my daughters finding mates of their own is pretty simple. Are they happy? If Leena is happy with Arty (and I very much think she is), then I'd say he's off to a good start on me being a nice mother-in-law.

• Entry 153

A couple of interesting things to note.

First, Leena's got a boyfriend! He seems to be a nice fellow on first glance. Artemis is his name. Or Arty for short. He's a mage who likes lighting spells. And that's all I really know about him so far. Yes, I'll try to get to know him better. And I'll try not to embarrass Leena too much. Just a little bit. A little part of me can't help but wonder about the possibility of being a grandmother. Having little grand-kittens would be quite a joy.

Second, another old Wolf has returned. I was quite surprised to see Dash. I hope Rasuil has a happy reunion with her.

Also, Fadia's right, beholders aren't fun to fight. No, I didn't die, but somebody in our group did. Fortunately, her spirit answered Kathea's call to return to her body.

• Entry 152

Leena’s resting, so I figured I’ll not disturb her right now. There will be plenty time to be the doting mother later when she’s actually awake.

I met an interesting fellow while I was up in Peltarch. This pixie by the name of Aniril greeted me while I was walking by the commons, remarking that he recognized me as Leena’s mother. Shortly into our conversation, the pixie turned into an elf, one I think I’ve seen about. He had some strange scars, I couldn’t read them but they looked like the Sylvan alphabet. We had a nice little conversation about shapeshifting. Which obviously you know is something I have some familiarity with. Well, natural and druidic shapeshifting at least. The arcane spells for accomplishing such I’m not as familiar with. I imagine there are some similarities.

Nothing else of note for the day. A quiet day is a nice reprieve after the hellish battle.