The Swordsman

• ICC

Dar'Lith was raised by a seemingly ageless Elf Jia-Lin, and his Goblin servant Spiegal. Jia-lin is a weaponsmith of some renown in Oscura. It was Dar'lith's task from a young age to complete many of the household chores. Meal preparations, cleaning, etc. As he grew his chores were expanded into the forge. At a young age he learned that Jia-Lin was also a master Swordsman, practicing a strange form, with an exotic looking curved blade. Dar'Lith's Sword training began young, as did his lessons in Etiquette and Honour. When he was old enough to understand, Spiegal told him of how Dar'Lith came to be with them.

Late one evening, a cloaked Woman had come to the estate, begging an audience with Jia-Lin. A much younger (and less wise) Spiegal, took to eavesdropping on the conversation. He didnt hear much, but he heard enough to tell the boy he was the Bastard son of an Damarran Noble. For various Political and family related reasons, the noble had not wanted the birth of a bastard child. Dar'lith's mother had fled, hiding in Oscura to have the child in secret. She had been found though, and fled fearing for their lives. Spiegal did not know what bargain was struck to allow the child to be raised here, or taught the Sword Art. He also did not know the Woman's name, or the name of the Noble. She left that night, and never returned.

Spending most of his life cloistered in the estate, recently Dar'Lith's chores have taken him out into Oscura. When returning late one night, he was forced to slay a local Tough who tried to waylay him. He returned home and told the story to Master Jia-lin. The Master told him that he had reached the point in his training where he could not progress farther without testing himself out in the world. Without the experiences, or the wisdom gained from those experiences, he could not progress as a swordsmen.

Jia-Lin gifted the practice sword and some armour to Dar'lith, giving him a few coins as well. With no real direction, Dar'lith set out; thinking that he would try to find out more about his Mother/Father.

• ICC

_The Code of the Rensai-Karn Weapon Form

When all is said, a Sword is a tool of destruction. I Honour its victims, so that I may honour yourself.

The Sword swung in my name shall be swung for the people of the world, to prevent the shedding of innocent blood.

I take my Garb from the hand of Providence. I take my sword with the oath to never use it in anger. I take the faith of my Master in the hope that he is never given reason to question it. I will remain forever true.

I know that every moment I exist is a gift I must earn anew each Day. If I must relinquish this life that other's may live, I do so without hesitation.

I am the Guard, the Keeper, the Seeker, and the Warder. I never waiver in my vigilance, and on my watch, there is no evil that can slip beyond my notice.

I will serve without question, because that is what I do. if death comes, I will fight with the strength of Light. The Darkness may claim me but I will not fade without resistance. In my final moments, my foes will pay a dear price for my life._

• ICC

Having so many…skirmishes since leaving my Masters care, I have been able to better understand many of the Weapon lessons from my youth. My youth?! How odd! I am hardly much older! Still, I have aged much. A lifetime it seems.

With increased understanding, I have been able to refine many of my skills. Daunting opponents of only a few months ago, now fall more easily to my blade. However, with a broader understanding of my core concepts, more questions arose.

So I made the journey back to see my Master, Jia-Lin. What a change in his simple cavern! Spiegal was not there to greet me at the door; only Master. It seems the aged Goblin had finally passed away. Though the Household was as immaculately cared for as before; the absence of the Goblin was noticeable. The place just seemed...subdued. Although the mannerisms of Elven kind hides many of their feelings; I know Jia-Lin very well. He raised me after all. I could see the Sadness reflected in his very movements.

We went out together, to the back of the cavern. A Waterfall passes trough it, dropping into a seemingly bottomless chasm. There in a soft bed of Cave moss, Jia-Lin had built a small shrine to honour Spiegal. A marker stone, and a small beautifully carved statue. I wept for a long time.

Later we shared a small meal and I slept. The next day, after I awoke, Jia-Lin and I talked for hours about my progress. We talked of my fears, the lessons I was still learning, difficulties I am facing, and may yet face. He assured me that it is my doubts that allow me to further evolve my understanding. That no Code is rigid, but instead like a living entity, showing greater depth and meaning as you become more familiar with it. Only by questioning it, may I learn it more fully.

Afterwards, we went to the training yard. So familiar it is too me! There he taught me differences in many of my lessons. The differences of theory and practice; only my experiences in combat could have prepared me for these new lessons. He refined my striking even more, adding a new dimension of follow through, I ended up splitting many practice dummies with ease. He taught me how to move more effectively within my opponents guard, protecting myself as I did. I learned the technique to allow me to rush into my opponents while maintaining my own defenses. The most wonderous lesson came last. One I practiced long into the night. Perhaps the most aggressive, or desperate, attack I have learned to date. One in which a lightning flurry of blows is launched, striking all opponents surrounding you.

I feel now, more then anytime, I have made the most progress into learning my Master's Rensai-Karn Weapon Form.

• ICC

It's amazing really; how odd it all seems.

I can remember most of my life, but it all seems so very strange, almost alien. This past half a year or so…has been so full of..experience? I had lead a very sheltered life. Not until barely a year ago did i even leave the Cavern my Master has claimed as his own. Then i had very litte time at all to explore the wonders of my home city, Oscura. Events soon pushed me from my master's Haven, beyond even the Caverns of our homes.

Jia-Lin raised me well it seems. Of the many subjects I had to study, poetry was a favourite. Whenever events slow around me, I still try to put a little something together. What inspiration I have had! There is a Dark beauty to the Caverns and tunnels of my home; many wonders that Surfacers will never know. I am grateful, in travelling their world I get to see so many marvels they take for granted!

Although I am not sure I will ever be used to moving around in the harsh glare of the sun, I am moved to tears watching the Sunrise, or set. I'm not sure which I like more...and plan to spend much time watching them both to decide!

Experiences such as this are not the only to be had though. Sadly, I have shed much blood since joining the larger world. Some of it has been my own...but most of it the blood of others.

I have felt fear, but always as a reassuring feeling, one I know will motivate me to combat readiness. I have felt sadness for my enemies, pride in their valiant deaths. I have fought many a worthy opponent, and honour them all. I am...remorseful at one action though.

Soon after I became Protector to Ferdinand Locke, he volunteered us for a job helping the City Guard. Another noble joined us, Ekmen Kyzanos. Some smugglers took Weapons and armour through the Port of Oscura, and fled with their wares before the guard could catch up to them.

An Oscuran Wizard transported us ahead of their caravan, where we waited in ambush. In the end, we ended up killing them all. It bothers me, not so much that we killed them...but the MANNER in which we did. These nobles...their ways of combat are not my own. Some hold no concept of honour...least of which for their enemies. It disturbs me. I wonder how I will be able to get along with them, and still keep myself?

I think in the few times meeting him, that Vladimir Kursk shares some of my ideals...perhaps I will have to learn more of his ways....

• ICC

Some interesting things have happened since I left the Estate. Having no real direction when given my "freedom" I had some choices to make!

I have never been unhappy, being raised by Jia-Lin and Spiegal. However at times I have (as most Orphans do I guess) have the most intense NEED to know of my past; my family. It seems odd though, knowing what I know. There is not really a family out there for me. I can only imagine that my mother is dead, and my Father would see me the same way. I have no love for these people, nor sadness really either. Just Curiosity…that NEED to know.

So that is where I started with my choices. Firstly, I will know of my past. Secondly, I will improve my Sword Art. What really did I need beyond that?

I made an odd decision at this point.

I heard local rumour of a Noble looking for "aid". What a chance it seemed! I could work myself into the periphery of their world. Though I have no ambition for titles or wealth; I could gain status of a sort to put me on better footing to learn of my history. This Noble was looking for a Bodyguard, that to seemed a boon. This would give me all the time I need to practice my Art (although putting me in a position where I may have to use it occasionally)

I took a Blood Oath, making me a Sworn protector of Ferdinand Locke. the fresh scar on my palm crossing and accentuating the scar marking me as a blooded of Oscura.