Help in crafting?

• Could anyone give me a tip how woodworking differs from woodcutting?

And how can i increase experience in each individualy.Because at first when i had woodcutting 5points and woodworking 1 point i used the woodsaw and made staves.

After when my woodcutting experience increased lot,i went to woodsaw but couldn't cut deadwoods but only a very few after a lot tries.Is there any trick in ths woodsaw's speed or i have to increase also woodworking skill.

• @92d0d8a902=aeolderr:

+The skills are not quite exclusive, though you are correct that one does not affect the success/failure of another. Woodcutting affects your chance of getting a masterworked version of an item from woodworking. The same as blacksmithing does for weapon/armorcrafting.

…ooooo...I didn't know that...looks like Quin will soon be busy with copper and it's variants...crafting tools like a mad man...

• +The skills are not quite exclusive, though you are correct that one does not affect the success/failure of another. Woodcutting affects your chance of getting a masterworked version of an item from woodworking. The same as blacksmithing does for weapon/armorcrafting.

• I've taught myself the trade, and what I've gathered so far is:

You gain cutting skill mainly through cutting trees, slightly less through sawing and rarely through working the boards at the sawhorse. (I haven't done much experimenting with saw speeds personally)

You gain working skill mainly through using the sawhorse and rarely through using the bow rack.

As far as I can tell, the skills are exclusive.. meaning your ability to cut the wood has nothing to do with your ability to work the wood, and vise versa.
    There are also highs and lows in your skill gains. For a while, points can seem hard to come by along with successful crafts, and then you'll hit a point where every staff seems to succeed and give you a skill point in one or both skills. If you are making the same thing (deadwood short staff for example), your success rate 'should' stay relatively high as your skill in woodworking increases, but the skill you gain from making them will go down as they become less challenging to make.

To increase your woodworking skill you need to make more difficult things (like deadwood long staff). To increase your woodcutting skill you need to find a more difficult wood to cut.

Hope that helps you out. I also suggest finding a master to apprentice under IG. They can guide you through anything I missed, show you where better wood is (and help you get it), and provide some sweet RP 😉

• That's how I felt with mining and smithing for a while. Colin was able to mine amethyst and work copper fairly well. Then had to start over. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy and quit for quite a while. Now I'm starting to get back into it. If only the malachite was a little easier to get to. 😛

• ah, right… so woodcutting is chopping and sawing...

woodworking is at the table or whatever it is where the boards are mysteriously made into other things.

and bowyering skill is at the bowyer rack.

I gave up on woodworking when a previous dev team reset the skill points for some reason and I went from fairly able to mostly unable, and the pain of regaining the experience was too much to deal with.

• Both of these things will eat your soul and your coin. 🙂 Just a fair word of warning.

• Woodworking is increased by forming your boards into something like staffs, clubs, shields, etc.

I cannot recall the name of the tool that does this…

• I actually thought that woodcutting skill was incrased mostly by chopping trees, and that woodworking was increased by working at the saw in the craft hall… isnt that the case?

• Slower speeds can get you boards at low skill, but you get less boards in total (lower yield).

So the lower speed is white but higher speed is red?

And i understand about woodcutting that you have to cut,but for woodworking how are you going to raise your skill points?(with what kind of exact work?)

• join the union!! theyll teach you everything!

• ICC

Also the more skill points you have at Woodworking and Woodcutting, the more wood you get from trees and more wood boards you´ll get from the wood saw machine.

Ultimatly you should ask a veteran woodworker to take you as he´s aprentice, as Rhistin sugested you 🙂

• The highest speed of the wood saw yields the most boards, but requires the most skill to even -get- boards at all.

Slower speeds can get you boards at low skill, but you get less boards in total (lower yield).

That's the trick.

The best thing however is to ask these questions in game, to a fellow woodworker, who even might consider taking you on as his/her apprentice !